Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

On the Emerald, that area over the bridge has been closed off to passenger access for two years now. I've heard two different stories: 1.) that there was new equipment installed out there and someone messed with it; and 2.) people up there were disturbing the minisuite passengers at the front of the ship.

You're right. We should move on to other topics like the secrets of getting around the dress code.....Only kidding:D. Tomorrow this thread will be a year old. I can't believe it's still so active.

Now it is almost two years old. Princess secrets could go on indefinitely.

• 4 weeks later...

I searched but could not find the answer. We used to have a list of e-mail addresses for the different Princess ships. It was in my Old Computer so I've lost it.

I called and they told me they cannot give it out. I know that this is to be used for Emergencies Only so we want to leave it with elderly loved ones at home.

Does anyone still have this information? Thanks in advance.

I will be sailing on the Golden to Hawaii on 24 Oct. 12. We have a cabin on Deck 15 S702. The cabin is a Delux O V Stateroom and there are only 2 of these type cabins in the fleet These cabins must be a real secret because there is not a photo of either cabin S702/704 to be found. These cabins were installed in 2009 when the Golden had their big overhall. I even spoke to princess and they not only could not send a photo but there are no blue print of the cabin to see the layout. The cabin is special as it is on the 15th deck along with 10 new suites that were also put in. Does anyone know about these cabins?

I will be sailing on the Golden to Hawaii on 24 Oct. 12. We have a cabin on Deck 15 S702. The cabin is a Delux O V Stateroom and there are only 2 of these type cabins in the fleet These cabins must be a real secret because there is not a photo of either cabin S702/704 to be found. These cabins were installed in 2009 when the Golden had their big overhall. I even spoke to princess and they not only could not send a photo but there are no blue print of the cabin to see the layout. The cabin is special as it is on the 15th deck along with 10 new suites that were also put in. Does anyone know about these cabins?
Search CC for S702 and you will find some info. We are boarding the Golden Saturday and are doing a B2B. Was going to see if I could get a photo on turnaround day a week from Saturday.

On the Emerald, that area over the bridge has been closed off to passenger access for two years now. I've heard two different stories: 1.) that there was new equipment installed out there and someone messed with it; and 2.) people up there were disturbing the minisuite passengers at the front of the ship.

I have heard both stories as well. But, when it was just the

suite issue, you could still cajole someone into unlocking the

door. No more.

The equipment story was told to me by the psd on emerald.

so I think it's pretty reliable.

Yet, people keep posting to the contrary here.

They are great rooms, newer and a nice view like the review says.

However, there's always a however, no?

since they are so aft AND high, those sea days going to or coming back CAN be rough and you'll feel it the most at the back end of the sea saw.

Also, if your not at traditional dining, going to dinner and to any show in the Princess Theater it will be quite a walk.

Not a deal breaker for me but someone like my mom that doesn't like to walk the length of the ship all the time (she's 75).

If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate taking that room.... keep in mind you'll be in company of all suites up there (get to know your neighbors,lol) which also translates into an almost guaranteed great steward as well.

Search CC for S702 and you will find some info. We are boarding the Golden Saturday and are doing a B2B. Was going to see if I could get a photo on turnaround day a week from Saturday.

http://hajozz.eu/img/hajok/1_goldenprincess.pdf

If you look carefully you will see the two cabins together just above S706.

I also have another link which I will post.

If you could swing it, that would be great, thanks.

COP:)

• 1 month later...
DH and I are going on our first cruise in September to celebrate our 10th Anniversary and I've really enjoyed reading this thread and finding our all these tips and secrets! I went ahead and compiled a new list and figured I'd share it here. Some of these things date back to the beginning of the thread so if there is anything that has changed that you know of please update and let us know! This list is 10 pages long in Word!

Princess Cruise Tips & Secrets

BEFORE THE CRUISE

PACKING

* Before you leave - e-mail pdfs of your passports, credit cards, etc. to

Excellent compilation of all these tips- thank you!

Just a tip for anyone traveling in a group of 8 (or more I guess). We just got back from a cuise on Princess. We had opted Anytime dining during the booking process at the recommendation of the Princess customer service personnel we spoke to because we wanted to eat at around 7pm each night rather than 530 (1st) or 8 (2nd). We were told to talk to the M'D the first day on board and there would be no problem with making reservations for the entire cruise. Well.....that isn't what happened. The M'D said that for a group our size the only way we could have reservations were at 530 or 745 (or so) because they wouldn't be able to book anyone else at the tables if they made reservations at any other time. While we understood this after his explanation.......it certainly would have been helpful if we would have been told that in the first place instead of being led to believe we could dine at our preferred time.

Despite what I have seen on this thread about being able to get escargot any night we wanted with 24 hr notice, that was not the case on our cruise. We could only get it the night it was on the menu.

Our group was booked into the Crown Grille on night. The staff insisted on serving us family style....and for a group of 8 that mean they put out two dishes that totalled about 15-20 asparagus spears.....lobster on one plate with only one small bowl of butter to dip it in (for everyone).....no option for baked potatoes.....etc. In addition, the guy pouring wine spilled it on the table each time he poured. We were not the least bit impressed.

Just a tip for anyone traveling in a group of 8 (or more I guess). We just got back from a cuise on Princess. We had opted Anytime dining during the booking process at the recommendation of the Princess customer service personnel we spoke to because we wanted to eat at around 7pm each night rather than 530 (1st) or 8 (2nd). We were told to talk to the M'D the first day on board and there would be no problem with making reservations for the entire cruise. Well.....that isn't what happened. The M'D said that for a group our size the only way we could have reservations were at 530 or 745 (or so) because they wouldn't be able to book anyone else at the tables if they made reservations at any other time. While we understood this after his explanation.......it certainly would have been helpful if we would have been told that in the first place instead of being led to believe we could dine at our preferred time.

Despite what I have seen on this thread about being able to get escargot any night we wanted with 24 hr notice, that was not the case on our cruise. We could only get it the night it was on the menu.

Our group was booked into the Crown Grille on night. The staff insisted on serving us family style....and for a group of 8 that mean they put out two dishes that totalled about 15-20 asparagus spears.....lobster on one plate with only one small bowl of butter to dip it in (for everyone).....no option for baked potatoes.....etc. In addition, the guy pouring wine spilled it on the table each time he poured. We were not the least bit impressed.

Sorry to read about your experience. What ship were you on? We have experienced that it all depends upon the ship, the crew, and the maitre'd. Our last experience on the Sapphire Princess was the best by far with absolutely no complaints and the worse was this last time on the Crown Princess with many complaints. They were worlds aparts from each other on how they treated their guests. The Crown Princess, had that been our first time on Princess may have been our last. The Sapphire certainly was way above what we expected and we spent 2 weeks on her.

There have been many posts that it may be difficult to get reservations, much less standing reservations, between 6:00 and 7:45 or so on most ships because of the reason you listed. Hopefully you were accommodated most nights as walk-ins.

That is the problem with a thread this old as things do change and practices are inconsistent ship to ship. On the Golden escargot were not on the menu, but offered off menu the first Formal night by our waiter. There have been some apparent issues with escargot availability. They are not out delivery method of choice for butter and garlic so we did not order.

We had a group from a recent Roll Call on the Golden considering eating at the CG. For a number of reasons it didn't happen, but working with the Group Services Agent I was told that for groups larger than 16 we would be served a set menu. They should have accomodated your group.

That is the problem with this hints thread as it is quite old by now and practices change from ship to ship and over time.

In general one cannot rely on any answers from HQ about things that are decided on a ship.

The ability to make reservations in anytime and the rules for doing so vary by ship and by Matre d'.

Nobody who answers a phone for Princess will know this week's current practice for anytime dining reservations, much less what will happen on a future cruise.

How about these pictures: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35436885&postcount=1

Archived