Now this is weird: "Congratulations from NCL, you have just won...." anyone else?

cacj

I just received a phone call, which my caller ID identified as coming from the Qwest Corp, the name of our phone company. When I picked up there was a recording that went something like this: "Congratulations you have been chosen from a select group of people by Norwegian Cruise Lines, and you have just won a 5 star cruise. Select 1 if you accept and 2 if you would like to be taken off the list."

Now, in this day and age of scams, who in their right mind would choose either......I hung up. I cannot believe there would be a legitimate cruise promotion by NCL set up in this way.

So, were you also one of the lucky winners?

I think NCL should investigate such a use of their name in something like this....and since caller ID's can be spoofed, I really doubt Qwest was at all involved.

I received a very similar phone call about a month ago. I don't believe it said anything about "5 Star". It said something more like: "You've been chosen by Norwegian Cruise Lines to receive a free cruise from a select group of destinations." We don't have caller ID so I had no way of knowing and like you I simply hung up.

Later I wondered if we had signed up for something I had forgotten when we were on NCL's Pride of America in Hawaii in March. I was a bit worried I might have missed out on something, but in this day of scams I'll never take a chance.

I'm getting a recorded message about once a week (says it's OUR bank) that our debit card is suspended and to press 1. We don't have a debit card. I can see where lots of people fall for that one.

Thank goodness more people are getting wise to lots of these scams.

Yes, scams are constantly reinvented. The Caller ID even had the phone number for Qwest.

I wonder if you push 1 or 2 if it somehow allows the caller to use your phone for illegitimate purposes such as long distance calls or such...or charges something to your phone number. I really wish we had a better way to stop such scams, but other than alerting others to it, I don't know what else could be done.

And yes, it said 5 star on this recording. It was a very pleasant woman's voice, excited and happy sounding....really could see this fooling lots of folks.

Yes, scams are constantly reinvented. The Caller ID even had the phone number for Qwest.

I wonder if you push 1 or 2 if it somehow allows the caller to use your phone for illegitimate purposes such as long distance calls or such...or charges something to your phone number. I really wish we had a better way to stop such scams, but other than alerting others to it, I don't know what else could be done.

And yes, it said 5 star on this recording. It was a very pleasant woman's voice, excited and happy sounding....really could see this fooling lots of folks.

I've heard that it is possible for callers to take control of your line but it takes more than pressing 1 or 2. What this scam would probably look like is you would need to give them or enter a credit card number to cover taxes and port fees. Hanging up sounds like a prudent move.

unfortunately it comes down to not answering any call that you do not recognize the number. In fact, we've recently discussed disconnecting the home phone all together and just leaving on a cell phone for emergency calls:mad::mad:

After submitting my first post it occurred to me how someone could have gotten your numbers. Possibly NCL's website has been hacked??? :eek:

It's far more likely that they're random-dialling people, and the "NCL" detail is simply a random detail in the call script designed to cement credibility.

The more detail, the more real it 'feels'.

I received a very similar phone call about a month ago. I don't believe it said anything about "5 Star". It said something more like: "You've been chosen by Norwegian Cruise Lines to receive a free cruise from a select group of destinations." We don't have caller ID so I had no way of knowing and like you I simply hung up.

Later I wondered if we had signed up for something I had forgotten when we were on NCL's Pride of America in Hawaii in March. I was a bit worried I might have missed out on something, but in this day of scams I'll never take a chance.

I'm getting a recorded message about once a week (says it's OUR bank) that our debit card is suspended and to press 1. We don't have a debit card. I can see where lots of people fall for that one.

Thank goodness more people are getting wise to lots of these scams.

Kinda like the email I get from time to time, telling me I need to update my information for BofA. I don't and have never had a BorA account of anykind. There are so many of those out there.

Nita

This is not the way legitimate judging agencies or fulfillment houses award prizes. If you can't remember entering to win it is probably a scam. Although I once won $25k which came in a regular first class US mail envelope, not certified or registered! But it was a prize from Target, so I knew it was on the up and up.

If you can't remember entering to win it is probably a scam.

I agree 100%. You don't win stuff when you don't enter.

I can tell by the lingo you use that you're a fellow sweeper :)

I think NCL should investigate such a use of their name in something like this....and since caller ID's can be spoofed, I really doubt Qwest was at all involved.

Soooooooo...

Did you report this to the proper people at NCL for investigation, or did you only post the information here on the message board in the hope that some NCL employee will find it?

Soooooooo...

Did you report this to the proper people at NCL for investigation, or did you only post the information here on the message board in the hope that some NCL employee will find it?

I would--while there is little to nothing that they can do about it--it might be helpful for them to know about.

Soooooooo...

Your point is taken, seashark. And if I had any idea who the proper department might be, I would call them. Do you know who I should contact?

And admittedly, I am a bit put off to dealing with NCL corporate by phone. Dealing with NCL corporate has not been entirely satisfactory so I am a bit gun shy in making calls to them...but in truth, that was years back (time flies!).

And yes, (sheepishly) I was hoping that the usual NCL reps who keep up with the boards here would take note. It seems that other things get their attention here.

And finally, I wrote this as a heads up to any who might be susceptible to the scam. Many folks, especially in hard times, are a bit more easily preyed upon. I have friends who would dearly love a cruise, and this scam just might get them. Not everyone is as alert as they should be when a phone call comes in. And especially those with no caller ID might think it is a real offer.

and call QWEST to let them know their name is being used this way too

or ask them if they have any type of promotion/give-away going on...

call the number on your statement, not the number that came up on the caller id.....

let us know what you find out!

Caller ID can be spoofed.

If this really was a scam and NCL is not involved, feel free to call them. Not much they can do about it.

I might have at least pressed 2 to hear the rest of the scam.

As long as there are stupid people, scams will continue. Amazing how many exist. How about the ones that advertise special coins in the big newspapers. Then say you can only buy 2 per household. Doesn't anyone think that is a dead giveaway right there? If I wanted to buy a thousand, you would think they would love to sign me up!

I just received a phone call, which my caller ID identified

If you still have the #, go to google and insert it in the search box. If it's not private, it will show who owns it. If not, you will likely get some links to sites where other folks have shared what they know about it. Just for giggles I guess.

Sounds similar to a call I got a few years ago saying I won a cruise to The Bahamas. I listened out of curiosity, then checked things out. It was a trip on an old tub to Nassau. You had to pay fees and taxes. It ended up being about 50 bucks less then booking on a cruise line. Glad I wasn't born yesterday.

Your point is taken, seashark. And if I had any idea who the proper department might be, I would call them. Do you know who I should contact?

And admittedly, I am a bit put off to dealing with NCL corporate by phone. Dealing with NCL corporate has not been entirely satisfactory so I am a bit gun shy in making calls to them...but in truth, that was years back (time flies!).

And yes, (sheepishly) I was hoping that the usual NCL reps who keep up with the boards here would take note. It seems that other things get their attention here.

And finally, I wrote this as a heads up to any who might be susceptible to the scam. Many folks, especially in hard times, are a bit more easily preyed upon. I have friends who would dearly love a cruise, and this scam just might get them. Not everyone is as alert as they should be when a phone call comes in. And especially those with no caller ID might think it is a real offer.

If it were me (and I didn't want to call)...I would just send it to their Corporate Address listed on the website...and mark it attention "Guest Relations". You wouldn't even need to sign the letter if you did not want to.

Additionally, phone scams are illegal (duh, right?) so another good thing to do would be to file a complaint with your State's Attorney General's office.

....And thanks for the "heads up"!

Caller ID can be spoofed.

If this really was a scam and NCL is not involved, feel free to call them. Not much they can do about it.

I might have at least pressed 2 to hear the rest of the scam.

As long as there are stupid people, scams will continue. Amazing how many exist. How about the ones that advertise special coins in the big newspapers. Then say you can only buy 2 per household. Doesn't anyone think that is a dead giveaway right there? If I wanted to buy a thousand, you would think they would love to sign me up!

We have a scam around here that's really popular for the scammers and works over and over and over. Its like this. You get a call from someone who works for Sears. They have an overstock of big screen TVs. Meet me in the parking garage with $xxxx. So the person does, they get a 'receipt' and are told to drive to the loading dock to pick up the TV. End of story.

Archived