NCL charges a Gratuities on all bottles of wine and Liquor

Redheel Girl

I asked my TA to order my Wine and Scotch so it would be waiting in my Cabin. I checked NCL's website the day before so I assumed that the price on the Website would be the price I would be charged. They charged me four Dollars for each bottle of Wine and only two dollars for the Scotch. She called them back and they said they were charging a Gratuities fee. I don't understand such a fee if you are not being served but just purchasing their product:mad::eek:

The math doesn't add up. The gratuity on a bottle of wine should be less than on a bottle of scotch. :rolleyes: (or are we talking about a couple of bottles of wine).

I have to agree with the OP. Why charge a gratuity on them when they are not being served. Can you ask that the gratuity be removed?

Where exactly on NCL's site did you find that you could order alcohol (Scotch)? I see the wine list but no booze list. I think the only way you can order booze is through the bar setup and that is ordered from the ships coordinator.

And the bar setup is not charged to your credit card until you board the ship.

PE<---is :confused:...

The math doesn't add up. The gratuity on a bottle of wine should be less than on a bottle of scotch. :rolleyes: (or are we talking about a couple of bottles of wine).

I have to agree with the OP. Why charge a gratuity on them when they are not being served. Can you ask that the gratuity be removed?

They charge a $3 per bottle service charge on bar setup orders.

PE

Where exactly on NCL's site did you find that you could order alcohol (Scotch)? I see the wine list but no booze list. I think the only way you can order booze is through the bar setup and that is ordered from the ships coordinator.

And the bar setup is not charged to your credit card until you board the ship.

PE<---is :confused:...

Actually, we ordered a bar set up and it was charged immediately to our card...just an fyi....

On the website the bottle of wine was $28 and they charged me $ 32.20 per bottle and I was wrong the Chevis Regal was $80 on the website and I have been charged $83. Can anyone explain why I am being charged for a service I am not getting. This has never happened on all of my other NCL cruises. And you can get your TA to order Scotch or what ever if you can get the list off of one of the previous threads.:cool:

On the website the bottle of wine was $28 and they charged me $ 32.20 per bottle and I was wrong the Chevis Regal was $80 on the website and I have been charged $83. Can anyone explain why I am being charged for a service I am not getting. This has never happened on all of my other NCL cruises. And you can get your TA to order Scotch or what ever if you can get the list off of one of the previous threads.:cool:

On the wine list/order form on the NCL website it does state that there is a 15% service charge added. These bottles can be taken to the dining room and chilled and opened for you....and they will also store them if you don't finish them and bring them out another time at any restaurant on the ship.

The additional $3 on the bottles of alcohol have always been in place as well. I'm not sure exactly what the fee is for, possibly for delivery to the cabin...........just like you would tip room service I guess. It doesn't state what the fee is for.

The $28 to $32.20 equals the 15% tip added to all bar services. I assume they add it to pre-bought wine assuming you are going to take it to the dinng room and have it with dinner. If you ordered a bottle in the dining room, and tell them you were taking it to your cabin and did not want them to open it, they would still charge the tip.

The three dollar service fee for the liquor has always been there. Granted, a few years ago it was 3$ per order and it is now $3 per bottle.

For others, the last time I ordered a bar setup it was not charged to my credit card until I boarded the ship. It has been a few years since I ordered a bar setup. The prices have gotten ridiculous.

PE

The $28 to $32.20 equals the 15% tip added to all bar services. I assume they add it to pre-bought wine assuming you are going to take it to the dinng room and have it with dinner. If you ordered a bottle in the dining room' date=' and tell them you were taking it to your cabin and did not want them to open it, they would still charge the tip.[/color']

The three dollar service fee for the liquor has always been there. Granted, a few years ago it was 3$ per order and it is now $3 per bottle.

For others, the last time I ordered a bar setup it was not charged to my credit card until I boarded the ship. It has been a few years since I ordered a bar setup. The prices have gotten ridiculous.

PE

Must be quite a few years... we were charged immediately back in '06 so its been there policy for a while....;)

I asked my TA to order my Wine and Scotch so it would be waiting in my Cabin. I checked NCL's website the day before so I assumed that the price on the Website would be the price I would be charged. They charged me four Dollars for each bottle of Wine and only two dollars for the Scotch. She called them back and they said they were charging a Gratuities fee. I don't understand such a fee if you are not being served but just purchasing their product:mad::eek:

And what do you call the person that delievers it to your room, or do you think the wine fairy brings it and therefore no tip required.

as an incentive to booking with my online TA..they are giving us...in addition to a $100 per cabin OBC....2 free bottles of wine.

I asked awhile back on the boards if I would be charged a corkage fee...and the numerous replies were no.

Now I am wondering about a gratuity? I am told via the posters here...that the bottles will be waiting in our cabins and that there is no coekage fee.

However, if they try to charge me a gratuity I will just bring my TA receipt and the unopend bottles back to the purser.

I tip above and beyond the service charge but will stop at paying a gratuity for a freebie on principle!!!

Especially if they just go ahead and charge me and just leave the bottles there. NCL would be stupid to do that because I will complaim...however...if the steward brings them to me...offers to open them....etc. etc...he will get a tip....just don't do it for me in this case....let me be an adult and make my own decision.

Yes....I know every single person on the ship works like a dog and is entitled to a tip........just don't let NCL force a tip on free bottles of wine..paid for by my TA...on me.

Don't be surprised if you get a service charge for answering your question.

And what do you call the person that delievers it to your room, or do you think the wine fairy brings it and therefore no tip required.

what about in the onboard stores...do you tip the person who rings up your purchase?

The pax was paying for the wine and scotch...a tip is defintely discretionary.

This is just another case of OP not being informed by their TA and then coming here to blame NCL for something. SSDD!!

Buh bye.

PE

I am glad they posted it here...now I know that I may be charged for them to deliver my 2 bottles of free wine that my TA is giving us as an incentive.

No, you will not be charged a gratuity for the wine that your TA has bought for you.

We have never been charged a corkage fee for wine that given to us either.:)

It should be in your room when you arrive, if not ask the Pursers desk or your room steward.

I am glad they posted it here...now I know that I may be charged for them to deliver my 2 bottles of free wine that my TA is giving us as an incentive.

I hope that any service charge on board will not cause you a undo financial hardship.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BG

what about in the onboard stores...do you tip the person who rings up your purchase?

The pax was paying for the wine and scotch...a tip is defintely discretionary.

I guess if your stupid enough to pay the prices them I guess you should. And besides they probably get commission.

as an incentive to booking with my online TA..they are giving us...in addition to a $100 per cabin OBC....2 free bottles of wine.

I asked awhile back on the boards if I would be charged a corkage fee...and the numerous replies were no.

Now I am wondering about a gratuity? I am told via the posters here...that the bottles will be waiting in our cabins and that there is no coekage fee.

However, if they try to charge me a gratuity I will just bring my TA receipt and the unopend bottles back to the purser.

I tip above and beyond the service charge but will stop at paying a gratuity for a freebie on principle!!!

Especially if they just go ahead and charge me and just leave the bottles there. NCL would be stupid to do that because I will complaim...however...if the steward brings them to me...offers to open them....etc. etc...he will get a tip....just don't do it for me in this case....let me be an adult and make my own decision.

Yes....I know every single person on the ship works like a dog and is entitled to a tip........just don't let NCL force a tip on free bottles of wine..paid for by my TA...on me.

From my personal experience you will NOT be charged any gratuity for bottles of wine that are sent as gifts. Your TA will have paid that fee.

#1 - Do the math. Price of Bottle = $0 (Free). Gratuity Charge = 15%.

$0 x 15% = $0 Total Gratuity. :rolleyes:

#2 - Seriously. Is there REALLY anybody who does not understand that when you are served alcohol onboard the ship, that you will be charged an automatic gratuity for that service?

it is a service fee and has always been charged or has been for the past few years.

Nita

Archived