Lunch

Doughboy

We are going to be on the Rotterdam in a few weeks. After we board the boat where is lunch served? Also, I am concerned about dinner. We will be traveling all day and will be in comfortable clothes (jeans, shorts, capris). By the time dinner rolls around what do we do if we don't have our luggage yet? Can we get away with this dress for lunch and dinner if we have to?

We are going to be on the Rotterdam in a few weeks. After we board the boat where is lunch served? Also, I am concerned about dinner. We will be traveling all day and will be in comfortable clothes (jeans, shorts, capris). By the time dinner rolls around what do we do if we don't have our luggage yet? Can we get away with this dress for lunch and dinner if we have to?

Lunch will be served on the Lido deck. Depending upon when you board and if you have sailed on HAL, you may be able to also eat in the MDR for the Mariner's luncheon (if there is one). Lido is open much longer though.

No worries about luggage. If your luggage has not arrived, no one will kick you out if you have to go in your travel clothes. i suspect you will find that your luggage arrives quite quickly so you will not have to worry about the fashion police.

Have a great cruise:):):)

Lunch is available in the dining room from Noon until 1:30 -- provided that there isn't a group on board -- it is on the lower level of the dining room.

Besides the Lido you also have the Terrace Grill.

If your luggage hasn't arrived by the time you are ready to go to dinner -- no problems. HAL understands that there can be problems.

Because you have sailed previously on Carnival, you may be a one star Mariner. Ask for your invitation to lunch when you check in at port. Then present that invitation to the maitre'd at the MDR. They will seat you right away.

Luggage delivery on the Rotterdam a month ago was VERY fast. We had our bags by 12:30.

Doughboy (we have BAKERY with that name nearby):

Lunch in ALWAYS served in the buffet (Lido); usually the staff directs everyone in the right direction during the boarding process. Once you are a "frequent cruiser" you may have lunch in the Main Dining Room on embarkation day.

As to dinner: Many people have had a long exhausting day traveling. If you arrive early enough, you will have your luggage and be hungry for dinner. Luggage is usually delayed if you arrive later, rather than earlier. Also, many people skip dinner the first night, or just have something "light" in the buffet because they are too exhausted, or not hungry after their BIG LUNCH.:) Another factor is whether or not you have an early, late, or flexible dinner time.

If you are concerned about wearing shorts in the MDR, just put a pr. of pants, capris, or a skirt (woman or man???:confused:) in your carryon.

I always have a top and nicer shoes in mine cuz I wear the good ol' walking shoes to board...............and sometimes I also have my swimsuit as well.;)

Last cruise our luggage did not arrive until long after dinner time. I always travel in comfortable clothes that don't look too casual: something to consider if you are concerned about the dress code for dinner. Honestly, the first night you see everything in the dining room because of the number of people who are still waiting for their luggage. I am still amazed how they manage to get all that luggage delivered the first evening.

Archived