Celebrity Choice Air Flex.

RCIGUY

My DW and I are booked on a transatlantic cruise in 2011, and have called the Celebrity Choice Air Department for info and options. They advised me that Custom Air is being phased out, but did discuss Choice Air, and also offered Choice Air Flex. Has anyone had any experience, specifically, with Choice Air Flex? If so could you please relate your booking experiences, and/or opinions of the pros and cons.

The reason to book airfare through the cruise line is primarily if it will save you a lot of money. Sometimes the Choice Air prices can be good for international flights, especially for one way tickets. The cruise line generally uses consolidator class tickets, so they are risky. Large change fees, can't usually cancel them, the tickets can't be endorsed to another airline or rerouted if your flight is cancelled are has a lengthy delay. I would only advise using them if you are flying in at least two days early and they save you significant money.

We are doing a TA this year and booked cruise only as I always shop around for air fares but this time I could not get anywhere the rate we could get with the airline. They are BA flights, we are flying in 3 days before the cruise and flying out 10 days afterwards. No extra cost for the deviation. We decided to book with X.

We booked choice air, never heard of choice air flex, what is it?

The explanation from the choice air department was that it is similar to choice air where you can select your airport, flights, and seating, but you do not have to purchase upfront. There is a penalty phase however. If you cancel your choice air flex 60 days or closer to your day of departure there is a non refundable $125 per person charge. Like all other airline bookings, it is not available until 330(?) days before departure. There is a $35 per person fee associated with this service, which may be waived depending on your Captains Club status.

I've combed through their site trying to verify this info, but have not been successful at this point. I'm wondering if this is a new offering in conjuction with the phase out of custom air?

I neglected to ask how it works with transfers (included or not), but am not really concerned if transfers must be paid for seperately.

The explanation from the choice air department was that it is similar to choice air where you can select your airport, flights, and seating, but you do not have to purchase upfront. There is a penalty phase however. If you cancel your choice air flex 60 days or closer to your day of departure there is a non refundable $125 per person charge. Like all other airline bookings, it is not available until 330(?) days before departure. There is a $35 per person fee associated with this service, which may be waived depending on your Captains Club status.

I've combed through their site trying to verify this info, but have not been successful at this point. I'm wondering if this is a new offering in conjuction with the phase out of custom air?

I neglected to ask how it works with transfers (included or not), but am not really concerned if transfers must be paid for seperately.

Are the prices higher than regular Choice Air?

I would have to guess the price is not locked in until the ticket is actually purchased, but I really have no clue. When I bought my choice air tix in Jan. nothing was mentioned about a flex option. Transfers are not included, but can be added on. We liked the choice air feature because we wanted to pick which airline and flight we would be on. We didn't pay a fee, but this may be because we are elite members of the captains club. We'll find out in Oct. how it works, if there are any problems. Oh, we were able to go the the airline website immediately and select our seats after our tickets were purchased.

The only advantage that the cruise air program had was that when someone cancelled a cruise they also had the air cancelled with no penalty if done before final payment. Choice air is paid at the time it is booked and you own the tickets which is not good if there is the possibility of cancelling. As described Choice Air Flex gives some of the benefits of the old air program. It will be interesting to see how all of this evolves, but I still see far more dangers with air booked through the cruise line than the benefits of a low price.

The only advantage that the cruise air program had was that when someone cancelled a cruise they also had the air cancelled with no penalty if done before final payment. Choice air is paid at the time it is booked and you own the tickets which is not good if there is the possibility of cancelling. As described Choice Air Flex gives some of the benefits of the old air program. It will be interesting to see how all of this evolves, but I still see far more dangers with air booked through the cruise line than the benefits of a low price.

And with an airline and lower fares, you don't own the ticket once purchased??? On Choice Air you can cancel or rebook but there is a penalty. Choice Air had the lowest prices around for our TA to Rome. I

don't think the fares are as good for domestic but for international it's difficult to beat their prices.

I've been doing a little more research this morning, and found the following at the Choice Air site under FAQ's. At least it verifies the product exists, and does answer a couple of questions!

"What is ChoiceAirFlex?

FlexFare is our most flexible fare type, which usually prices at higher fares and payment is due during final cruise payment."

When I booked my cruise, I booked the air fare also with the TA. Then I found out I wouldn't know the scheldue until 30 days before my flight. I'm flying in three days before cruise. Anyway, I cancelled air fare with TA and booked my own, saved $450.00 and got to pick my own air scheldue. I did buy travel insurance for both the cruise and flight and neither was very much.

Just spoke to Choice Air representative. Price for Choice Air for one way from London to FLL is 570.00 pp. Flex Air is about $25.00 pp higher. You pay immediately for Choice Air ticket and it's yours. You pay for Flex Air with your final payment. Agent not sure if you can select seats with Flex Air, my guess is that you would need to wait until final payment. Told us that the advantage of Flex Air is that you can change arrangements for a $25.00 charge and don't need to pay until later. My guess, only a guess, is that you could rebook if there is a price drop and just pay $25.00 for the switch. Also said that unlike if you book through another source, X will assist if there are problems. There have been differing comments on other threads about this. Some have said that you are pretty much on your own. Should I use Choice or Flex? Any thoughts?

Just went to site. Looks like you can get seats with Flex.

Just spoke to Choice Air representative. Price for Choice Air for one way from London to FLL is 570.00 pp. Flex Air is about $25.00 pp higher. You pay immediately for Choice Air ticket and it's yours. You pay for Flex Air with your final payment. Agent not sure if you can select seats with Flex Air, my guess is that you would need to wait until final payment. Told us that the advantage of Flex Air is that you can change arrangements for a $25.00 charge and don't need to pay until later. My guess, only a guess, is that you could rebook if there is a price drop and just pay $25.00 for the switch. Also said that unlike if you book through another source, X will assist if there are problems. There have been differing comments on other threads about this. Some have said that you are pretty much on your own. Should I use Choice or Flex? Any thoughts?

Just went to site. Looks like you can get seats with Flex.

Thanks so much for the added info Orator. Our cruise is too far out (11/11) to learn anything definite at this point. It seems to be a good option if you want to secure a flight in advance without the financial commitment, especially in our situation where the DW is still working, and she can't get her vacation request granted until after the first of the year, which is always subject to change.

Just spoke to Choice Air representative. Price for Choice Air for one way from London to FLL is 570.00 pp. .

Is one way $570 cheap? I am trying to decide about using them for a TA with 2 one ways. So I assume that it would cost more?

Can someone give me an example of what they are paying with Choice air for a TA with 2 one ways?:confused:

There is a lot of information about air either independent or through the cruise line at the Cruise Air forum here at Cruise critic. One thing is certain, when you read the contract of carriage from the cruise line, there is so much wiggle room for them to essentially do nothing to help if you have troubles with the air portion of a cruise. They booked as a service to you and that is the legal limit of their services. No guarantees to get you to the pier. And if that low priced airline ticket that was so important for you to purchase is a consolidator ticket, you may not be able to switch airlines if the one ticketed has a problem. Read some of the things at Cruise Air before you buy the cruise line air tickets and then have a really good back up plan if things of south. The people haunting Cruise Air forum can also give good advice about purchasing tickets.

There is a lot of information about air either independent or through the cruise line at the Cruise Air forum here at Cruise critic. One thing is certain, when you read the contract of carriage from the cruise line, there is so much wiggle room for them to essentially do nothing to help if you have troubles with the air portion of a cruise. They booked as a service to you and that is the legal limit of their services. No guarantees to get you to the pier. And if that low priced airline ticket that was so important for you to purchase is a consolidator ticket, you may not be able to switch airlines if the one ticketed has a problem. Read some of the things at Cruise Air before you buy the cruise line air tickets and then have a really good back up plan if things of south. The people haunting Cruise Air forum can also give good advice about purchasing tickets.

And have you ever read your cruise contract? I think we'll have to wait for a report from someone with Choice Air tickets who needed help. We paid less than $400.PP for Atlanta to Rome in Oct.

Is one way $570 cheap? I am trying to decide about using them for a TA with 2 one ways. So I assume that it would cost more?

Can someone give me an example of what they are paying with Choice air for a TA with 2 one ways?:confused:

Cheap when you consider that everyone else is over $1000 pp.

Archived