How much CCL stock do you need to buy

califgary

That's pretty much what I said in a recent thread, and was kind of pooh-poohed for it. Had I bought 100 shares in May, just when I booked an Alaska cruise I'll be on next week, in order to get the $100, I would be looking at about $1000 in paper losses just now. Meanwhile, by keeping the same amount of money in a low-risk GNMA fund, I earned about $120. And yes, while the stock could recover tomorrow, there's a question in my mind about a possible double-dip recession, when CCL is totally dependent on people - including many fixed income retirees - willing to plunk down disposable resources on recreational travel.

Like you said, for frequent cruisers who know they be on a lot, and a lot of longer cruises, in the foreseeable future, the OBCs do provide a cushion against possible losses or a bonus to possible gains. But yeah, risky.

I bought CCL about 14 months ago for about 26 a share. I am retired and cruise a lot on Princess. I figure it will take me less than 3 years to get my entire investment back in OBC. While I certainly hope that CCL goes up, I am less concerned than with other investments. I gought it for the OBC. I have gotten $1,000 so far and will get $1,100 next year.

That's pretty much what I said in a recent thread, and was kind of pooh-poohed for it. Had I bought 100 shares in May, just when I booked an Alaska cruise I'll be on next week, in order to get the $100, I would be looking at about $1000 in paper losses just now. Meanwhile, by keeping the same amount of money in a low-risk GNMA fund, I earned about $120. And yes, while the stock could recover tomorrow, there's a question in my mind about a possible double-dip recession, when CCL is totally dependent on people - including many fixed income retirees - willing to plunk down disposable resources on recreational travel.

Like you said, for frequent cruisers who know they be on a lot, and a lot of longer cruises, in the foreseeable future, the OBCs do provide a cushion against possible losses or a bonus to possible gains. But yeah, risky.

Had you listened to the Ccer's that were discussing this a few years back, you could have bought at between $16 - $18 like we did.. And so far we have received over $1400 in OBC's with another $500 so far coming up next year. Not a bad investment.

Quick question how much CCL stock do you need to have in order to qualify for the OBCs? Do you just let the reservation person know you are a stock owner how do they verify? If I bought stock now can I apply to cruises Ive already reserved?

Info appreciated thanks!

Ok what are CCL and OBCs? for us uneducated UKs

Ok what are CCL and OBCs? for us uneducated UKs

CCL is the stock symbol for Carnival Cruise Lines of which Princess is an affiliate. OBC stands for on board credit. The discussion is in regards to the fact that people who own a minimun of 100 shares of Carnival (CCL) stock qualify for on board credits when they cruise with Princess as well as Carnival's other lines.

If a person purchases 200 shares, do they receive double OBC?

Just wondering, a dollar per share return is about 3% right now, not really great but OBC encourages cruising which is fun!

No, it is one OBC per cabin no matter how many shares you have or how many stockholders are in the cabin.

CCL is the stock symbol for Carnival Cruise Lines of which Princess is an affiliate. OBC stands for on board credit. The discussion is in regards to the fact that people who own a minimun of 100 shares of Carnival (CCL) stock qualify for on board credits when they cruise with Princess as well as Carnival's other lines.

CCL is the New York Stock Exchange symbol for Carnival Corporation which owns Carnivl Cruise Line and Princess Cruise Line among others. The stock also trades on the London Exchange with the symbol CUK.

Had you listened to the Ccer's that were discussing this a few years back, you could have bought at between $16 - $18 like we did.. And so far we have received over $1400 in OBC's with another $500 so far coming up next year. Not a bad investment.

I mean, congrats on a good investment, and I'm sure you all were possessed of extraordinary investment insight, but, as they say, past performance is no guarantee of future returns. Hey, if you'd been clever enough to sell it at 42 four months back, then bought it back today, you'd have locked in a tidy capital gain, no? Instead of watching your investment lose a third of its value?

Because of the recession, the stock had lost two-thirds from its high, and like I said, you're gambling (though 100 shares is a small amount) on there not being a double-dip and the stock tanking again. Like I said, if you're a frequent cruiser, will have the funds to continue cruising, and want to take a flyer, it's a good deal.

But hey, when you bought CCL back in Nov. 28, if you'd bought AAPL instead, you would have tripled your investment instead of not-quite doubling it...though, of course, iPhones don't come with OBCs.

I mean, congrats on a good investment, and I'm sure you all were possessed of extraordinary investment insight, but, as they say, past performance is no guarantee of future returns. Hey, if you'd been clever enough to sell it at 42 four months back, then bought it back today, you'd have locked in a tidy capital gain, no? Instead of watching your investment lose a third of its value?

Because of the recession, the stock had lost two-thirds from its high, and like I said, you're gambling (though 100 shares is a small amount) on there not being a double-dip and the stock tanking again. Like I said, if you're a frequent cruiser, will have the funds to continue cruising, and want to take a flyer, it's a good deal.

But hey, when you bought CCL back in Nov. 28, if you'd bought AAPL instead, you would have tripled your investment instead of not-quite doubling it...though, of course, iPhones don't come with OBCs.

You need to get your sumbers straight. In paragraph one you say CCL is down one third. In paragraph two you day two thirds. And weren't you saying it was done one half in post yesterday?

Archived