Decision Making time - Please help!

nucoryamato

My husband and I are going to go on our first Alaskan cruise in May 2011. We are so looking forward to it but want to make the best decisions possible. Neither of us have ever been to Alaska and believe will can and will be totally AWESOME! Here are the 3 cruise itinerary and cruise ships that we have narrowed it down to:

Choice 1: 7 nights departing May 8, 2011 on

Holland America's Oosterdam

ITINERARY

Seattle, WA / Puget Sound (Cruising)

Glacier Bay National Park, AK (Cruising)

Juneau, AK

Sitka, AK

Choice 2: 7 nights departing May 21, 2011 on

Princess' Golden Princess

3rd Choice: 7 nights departing May 15, 2011 on

Princess' Sapphire Princess

Any insight you can give us on the pro's and con's of each ship and itinerary will be greatly appreciated. I definetly want this to be as great of an expreience I believe it can be.

Thanks!

I've done Alaska cruises the past 4 years with my 2011 already booked. First, I would eliminate the Sapphire as I think a first time cruiser should see Glacier Bay. That's an all day scenic cruise with so much (glaciers, mountains, wildlife) to see. Often the ships don't get close to the glaciers at Tracy Arm due to ice in the water. I like Sitka better than Skagway - but I like that the Golden sailing is later in May when the weather might be a little warmer and less likely to have rain (but SE Alaska is a temperate rainforest - so rain is possible all the time).

It looks like it is important for you to have a RT Seattle, is this true? The seas can be a little rough outside of Seattle, so keep that in mind. If possible I would suggest doing either a northbound or southbound, Vancouver/Whittier on Princess. If you want a larger ship then I would recommend the Diamond, if you prefer a little smaller ship, which I do, then I recommend the Island. This will allow you to see both Glacier & Hubbard Bay, which is a must for me. It is my favorite part of the cruise.

On eof the important considerations is the port times - longer is better. I agree that HAL and the Golden Princess are the best choices because of Glacier Bay - Sitka is our favourite Alaska port which would make HAL our choice of those 3.

Have you eliminated Vancouver departures, which give more scenic sailing and less rough-seas potential? We seldom sail out of Seattle for those reasons.

Those are three classic itineraries and three classic ships.

Sapphire Princess is one of our favorite ships in all the world. We loved our cruise to Alaska on her! BUT -- it was not our first cruise! For a first timer, I think Glacier Bay is a must. Tracy Arm does not compare.

Check my page on glaciers at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaglaciers.html

and our cruise on Sapphire at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/sapphire.html

Golden Princess is a very nice ship and is sailing a good itinerary. You would be very happy with that cruise.

Oosterdam and her sisters are again some of our favorite ships! She is absolutely beautiful. Sitka is also one of our favorite ports although that means you give us Skagway, also a nice port. You have to decide what is right for you!

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaska2010html for our recent cruise on Oosterdam.

Bottom line -- one choice for a first cruise to Alaska -- I vote for Oosterdam.

Thank you so much for your guidance. The reason I am opting for the Seattle departure is strictly for financial reasons. We will be flying out of STL and to fly into Vancouver is more than double what it will cost to fly into Seattle. I would much rather fly into Seattle and save that extra money for excursions, drinks, gambling, etc.

In looking, I also found this itinerary:

10 Night Ultimate Alaska Cruise on Celebrity Infinity

from 10-May-2011 to 20-May-2011

Seattle

At Sea

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

Hubbard Glacier

Icy Strait Point

Inside Passage

At Sea

Victoria, British Columbia

Seattle

Any input on this one?

Thank you again for all of your help!

I would pick Infinity. Although the others stop in Victoria, it is a very short stop; Infinity gives you all day. Also much longer stop in Ketchikan.

If you can go to 10 days, can you go next to 14 and do the Amsterdamout of Seattle?

I personally would wait until the 3rd week or so to go in May. At least wait until after the 15th of the month.

If you are doing a 7 night out of Seattle, I would rule out Sapphire as I also agree that Glacier Bay is worth it. I have been on both Golden and Oosterdam and they are both good ships.

HAL has Sitka, which is excellent. Isn't there a later HAL sailing? Early May can be more "iffy". Especially with your other two choices, later May?

IF going with Sapphire Princess, I strongly suggest you budget for and book their add on Tracy Arm tour. "Necessary" in my opinion. :)

With your possible "extra" time, you could also get a round trip Vancouver sailing. It is extremely easy to get between Vancouver/Seattle with an extra day.

Thank you so much for your guidance. The reason I am opting for the Seattle departure is strictly for financial reasons. We will be flying out of STL and to fly into Vancouver is more than double what it will cost to fly into Seattle./quote]

It is very common to fly into Seattle for a Vancouver departure. There are many transfer options available. You can take a ship's transfer which is very convenient. You can take the train. You can rent a car. There are lots of ways to do it, most of which work very well.

Honestly, it seems as if you are trying to plan this trip by poking around the internet and asking questions on boards like this one. Absolutely the best advice I can give you is to find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor (look for the agent's diploma on the wall, not just an agency sticker). Ask your friends and co-workers for a recommendation. The service is entirely free to you. ACC's are trained to find the very best cruise for you, after learning your personal situation and preferences, and work hard to get you the very best rate. A good TA will be able to help you with the options for a Seattle flight.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I would pick a cruise that included Glacier Bay, I believe it is a must for first time Alaskan cruisers.

We sailed southbound on the Princess Coral in July and had a trip of a lifetime for us. We flew into Anchorage and got off the ship in Vancouver, spend a day touring Vancouver and the next day touring Victoria. On the thrid day took the train to Seattle and flew home from there on the fourth day after the cruise.

I agree with Mike. Check with several TAs (since they are free to you to use) and get further information that will help. I have done some research in the past and found the the lower price on the Vancouver to Whittier cruise nearly makes up for the extra flight price out of STL. You have to watch for the flights tho. You do get so much more out of those itineraries. Also, another thought is that the World's Largest Cruise Night is coming up in October, and there are always extra deals that night.

Archived