A message for RCCL:

What would you pay for a bottle of water?  

642 members have voted

1. 1. What would you pay for a bottle of water?

• Heavy Drinker:$4 for a bottle of Evian
    • Heavy Drinker:$2 for Dasani, Aquafina, Deer Park or similar
    • Light Drinker:$4 for a bottle of Evian
    • Light Drinker:$2 for Dasani, Aquafina, Deer Park or similar
    • Go Fly a Kite, I'm not paying for Bottled Water

Ok, so this is probably the biggest cruising forum on the Internet. The cruise lines monitor these boards, so lets tell them what we think.

After 200 posts in a thread about bottled water it's evident that people have very strong opinions about water. So what are yours?

Answer the Poll and maybe RCCL will listen.

For clarification:

A heavy bottled water drinker is someone who almost always buys bottled water, particularly on vacation or on a cruise.

A light bottled water drinker is someone who rarely buys bottled water. I mean like 1-2 bottles a week or less.

My reason for posting this is that someone like me, who rarely buys bottled water will NOT EVER pay $3.50-$4 for a bottle of water. But I might buy a bottle of water for $2-$3 (I know it's not a big difference) If I'm thirsty. How about you?

I believe we are talking about 1L bottles. Correct me if I'm wrong.

For a price comparison I can usually get a 1L bottle of Dasani, Aquafina, or Deer Park for somewhere around $1-$2 at a gas station.

We have a Culigan unit under our sink which gives us the exact same water as people buy in the store as bottled water . Yes we pay a monthly fee ;but ,we do get as much as we wish to consume . Thus ,we never have a need to buy water ;except on a cruise ship & I think $1.50 is enough to pay for it .

You created this poll because it makes sense to you. But to someone like me, it doesnt. I wouldnt buy bottled water on board, but I am one of those who posted that on our 7/9 night sails and longer for the 4 of us we, for our convenience, not to save $$$ b/c as stated, we purchase 3 soda cards (DH,DD,DS) and we have never had an end of cruise bill less than $1500 :eek: BRING water. Duct tape it so it isnt a problem to handle (always leave room for them to open/remove a bottle to check the contents), the porters smile and tag it and we're happy.

Whats the issue?

Plus, when we purchase WATER on board, its Pellegrino and there is a BOTTLE or TWO on our table every evening with dinner.

Whats the issue?

Plus, when we purchase WATER on board, its Pellegrino and there is a BOTTLE or TWO on our table every evening with dinner.

The issue is that RCCL has evidently changed their policy and they no longer allow people to bring water on board.

The purpose of this poll is to see if RCCL could actually make MORE money by charging MORE people LESS money for cheaper water.

I for one would like to see more options than Evian and Pellegrino because I don't like either of those. (Yes I know it's water. I don't like them. They taste extra funky TO ME.)

If it were a 1L bottle, then $2 is reasonable. I really prefer the 16 oz. bottles - 33 oz. is a lot to lug around.

I'd rather pay $1 for a 16 oz. bottle.

I agree with you. I like the smaller bottles. But I'd be happy for something other than expensive nasty water.

I don't take issue with paying for bottled water. I to take issue with being OVERCHARGED for bottle water - I think $2.00 - $2.50 is more the fair. for 33oz. They are making money, I am not paying through the nose.

Exactly. I don't know why they think we need "designer" bottled water - most of us are happy with Aquafina or Poland Springs or whatever. So - RCCL -

PLEASE GIVE US A LESS EXPENSIVE OPTION!

I don't want to lug water onboard - although I know some people do, and that's a whole different issue. I just want a decent bottle of water at a decent price.

Sorry, I won't drink bottled water. The amount of inspection for purity and safety provided by the FDA for inspecting bottling plants is miniscule compared to the number of inspectors for the water purification plants. I would rather drink water that is continuously inspected and use a home filter system than use bottled water.

Plus $2 for bottled water when you can buy a case of 24 at home for $4 or $0.16666/bottle

The issue is that RCCL has evidently changed their policy and they no longer allow people to bring water on board.

The purpose of this poll is to see if RCCL could actually make MORE money by charging MORE people LESS money for cheaper water.

I for one would like to see more options than Evian and Pellegrino because I don't like either of those. (Yes I know it's water. I don't like them. They taste extra funky TO ME.)

You are right, Pellegrino definitely has a different taste and Evian isnt my cup of tea either, lol. You can always find 2 or 3 24 packs in our garage of dasani, poland spring or nestle -(& yes we have a water filter on our refrigerator too). It is convenient.

Q: Where is the policy change? Do I need to do my set sail pass for my next cruise to read the change?

When we arrived in our stateroom (not RCI but on a lux ship) the toilet bowl water was BLACK. I turned on the tap in the sink and Black water! Our stateroom attendant assured us it was a minor problem and they were cleaning the lines. We were without water at least three times on the cruise and prior to each we again had black water coming from the tap.

After this experience, we also had a caution not to drink the water while on another ship.

We don't want to drink water from the taps in our staterooms and instead ask the steward to bring us pitchers of ice and water during the day, usually several times a day. It may be coming through the same system but so far it looked and tasted fine.

The ship should not have a monopoly on bottled water!

Sandy

The ship should not have a monopoly on bottled water!

Unfortunately the ship has a monopoly on just about everything, at least during sea days.

Usually I find the ship's tap water OK, but on my last two cruises (Carnival Ecstasy Jan. 2010, and Voyager OTS March, 2010), the bathroom tap water had way too much chlorine. Yuck. :mad:

the ships have their own salinization system on board and we have no problem drinking it - the water in the windjammer is the same that comes out of the taps in your cabin - so I was told - I usually bring an empty water bottle and just fill it with the water from the windjammer or tap in the room to take off the ship on non-sea days

:)

My wife and I drink allot of water everyday. We too have filters on our sink and refrig at home. We are going on a cruise in Sept and intend on taking a case of water with us. I know people say the ships water is ok to drink, but so is city water, but they both taste nasty, plus the ships water is still high in salt. Ask any lady whos feet swell on the ship if they are drinking the tap water...thats why. We will take a case of water with us and we would buy some too if it was $2.00 a bottle. Im sure RCCL is paying 25 cents a bottle since they buy it in bulk. I understand they have to turn a profit, but dont rake the people over the coals.

I bet they ( rci ) are still trying to dig out from paying for Oasis and Allure, thats why they are nickle and diming everyone....:rolleyes:

Q: Where is the policy change? Do I need to do my set sail pass for my next cruise to read the change?

Read your contract CAREFULLY people are saying that in the new contracts it is specified that you can not bring ANY beverages on board.

Onboard Policies

s.gif

cor_print_icon.gifPrint This Page cor_print_icon.gifPrint This Page

s.gif

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?s.gifA: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

I found this last night under their FAQ section. I'm not sure if this was always the policy (non-alcoholic beverages) but maybe they are enforcing it now.

Read your contract CAREFULLY people are saying that in the new contracts it is specified that you can not bring ANY beverages on board.

THIS IS NOT TRUE. :( The bean counters at RCI have graciously allowed guests to bring ONE bottle or can of a non-alcoholic beverage per person on-board at embarkation. Additional cans and/or bottles are subject to seizure. RCCL's profit centers are to be closely protected. Cheers, Diamond Bill

Onboard Policies

s.gif

cor_print_icon.gifPrint This Page cor_print_icon.gifPrint This Page

s.gif

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?s.gifA: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

I found this last night under their FAQ section. I'm not sure if this was always the policy (non-alcoholic beverages) but maybe they are enforcing it now.

But they are also stating IN THE SAME POLICY that water bottles and soda bottles are only disallowed if they are found to contain alcohol!

Archived