My Non-stop flight to Rome from LAX

billroddy

I was surprised to get a non stop, but it should eliminate delays, baggage transfers etc.

Bill

That is great a non stop from LAX to Rome. It will make a long flight not as hectic and long. You're so lucky not having to fly to NY first. Have a great cruise.

Don't know if you have a problem with sea sickness, but since we have learned one must start any OTC seasickness drug the day before departure, this is one way to help one get a bit of sleep on those long flights.

Using one of the "drowsy" OTC tablets for those first days, taken at night to help ensure some good first nights sleep. Bonine is known to cause the least drowsiness, so something like marzine or antihistamine based OTC tablets (if it is appropriate for you to take them) could just help you get through the long connecting flights as well.

But also be sure you get up an move around to keep the circulation going too - or do all those recommended in-seat exercises.

I take three prescription drugs daily for heart and related so think I will forego any thing else.

I spent WWII in the merchant marine with lots of stormy seas but never sea sick.

Bill

Don't know if you have a problem with sea sickness, but since we have learned one must start any OTC seasickness drug the day before departure, this is one way to help one get a bit of sleep on those long flights.

Using one of the "drowsy" OTC tablets for those first days, taken at night to help ensure some good first nights sleep. Bonine is known to cause the least drowsiness, so something like marzine or antihistamine based OTC tablets (if it is appropriate for you to take them) could just help you get through the long connecting flights as well.

But also be sure you get up an move around to keep the circulation going too - or do all those recommended in-seat exercises.

I take three prescription drugs daily for heart and related so think I will forego any thing else.

I spent WWII in the merchant marine with lots of stormy seas but never sea sick.

Bill

Lucky you. Wish I had your sea-legs, but not so sure I would want to win them the hard way like you did. ;) Have a great trip - non-stop flight, Rome and the Prinsendam - not sure it gets any better than that.

What's the secret to non-stop to Europe? We've researched for hours online and have found no non-stop flights. As price goes up and up and up so do the touchdowns. Being a ping-pong passenger from one European capital to another is not our idea of starting a vacation in a relaxed frame of mind.

What's the secret to non-stop to Europe? We've researched for hours online and have found no non-stop flights. As price goes up and up and up so do the touchdowns. Being a ping-pong passenger from one European capital to another is not our idea of starting a vacation in a relaxed frame of mind.

Since you live in VA. you can check flights out of IAD (Dulles). Off the top of my head UAL has nonstops to Rome,London and Paris.

Since you live in VA. you can check flights out of IAD (Dulles). Off the top of my head UAL has nonstops to Rome,London and Paris.

And UAL or other carriers fly to Copenhagen, Munich and Frankfurt, plus no doubt a few more. It may be well worth the three-hour or so drive from Newport News to Dulles to get non-stop flights. Also, if you book your air through HAL, it may be well worth the deviation charge to specify non-stop flights from Dulles -- we did so to Rome and Copenhagen, and were able to get the very convenient flights we wanted, rather than going by way of JFK or Philly.

Dave

I like the less hassle of non-stop flights and greater assurance that my luggage won't get misdirected, but when I do have some of these multi-plane, multi-airport and often considerably longer total flights, I find the one upside is they consist of a collection of shorter flights and opportunity to get out, walk around and stretch cramped muscles and maybe get some food more interesting in these different stops than served on the plane.

Today's coach seats can be inhume torture on far too many airlines so being rescued from their painful confinement after fewer hours with a major break before having to go back into another coach torture chamber actually then becomes a good thing.

Paying for extra leg room and learning which airlines don't torture you so much and finding those nice two-seat rows are worth maybe taking a longer route or adding extra trip costs. If you can find an Emirates Coach flight that is competitively priced, and some of them are, they excelled in coach cabin comforts. Even on their 16 hour non-stop from Dubai to LAX. (Selling them for approx $900 for this route - this was competitive)

Will be leaving on the Prinsendam Oct 24 Rome to Ft Lauderdale.

My flight info received today.

LAX to Rome non-stop on Delta, operated by Alitalia.

Depart 3:25pm Arrive 12:15pm

Bill

Ancient Mariner

If it doesn't stop, how are you going to get off?

If it doesn't stop, how are you going to get off?

You only have to worry if your flight attendant looks like D. B. Cooper and reaches for the emergency exit door before the plane lands and tells you to follow him.

I hope you are in BIZ or FC. It's snug in coach. Most airlines seat 2 4 2 in the B777, but not Alitalia. They seat 3 3 3.

Check your seat assignments.

Sorry, but, no airline has 8 across on the 777 in coach. 9 across is standard 3-3-3 or 2-5-2. Emerites has 10 across, 3-4-3. The Airbus 330 and 340 are 2-4-2.

UAl offers lie flat beds in both Business and First... I would not dream of a 13 to 14 hour flight in coach . United has non stops to Rome from IAD

I fly ual because they offer a poormans first class... "economy plus" for a few bucks more that has 6 inches more leg room and are the premimum seats on the plane

Check out" Seat guru. com" for configs, pitch and seat width

If you cant use miles to get free bus or first then check out Thomas Cook for discounted first and Business fares.... very good

I would rather change planes once for nicer more comfy seats than a non stop in a 17 inch with 31 inch pitch...... I t can take several days to recover from that " experience"

Aftyer 30 years of flying to europe almost annualy or more its a lesson I learned earily on..... over 8 hours Business or better over 11 hours first

I would not dream of a 13 to 14 hour flight in coach ...

..Aftyer 30 years of flying to europe almost annualy or more its a lesson I learned earily on..... over 8 hours Business or better over 11 hours first

Guess that's one advantage of being short :D. I fly at least twice a year r/t to Los Angeles from Tel Aviv, and never have a problem when flying in coach, even if I'm in a middle seat (which I actually prefer- no one grabbing the back of my seat as they try to walk down the aisle mid-flight). I even prefer flying coach to Continental's old business/first seats- I used to find myself sliding down them, and could never get comfortable!

Same with the trip I took to Australia last year. Almost 15 hours from LAX to SYD, and easy.

I do get up to stretch and walk several times during the flight, and stand, stretching, for a half hour at least twice during the longer flights. One great tip I learned from flight crews is to drink plenty of water during the flight. In addition to the benefits to your skin and digestion of keeping hydrated, it also really helps with jet lag- and having to get up every now and then to use the restroom ensures you move around.

BTW- I rarely eat airline food. I bring my own, bought either on the way to the airport or at the airport, and eat lightly during the flight. After almost 20 hours in flight, and a 10 hour time difference, I find that within a couple of days of my arrival in LA I'm almost completely over my jet lag.

But, then again, your experience may vary- especially depending on your height! :p

One thing I suggest you check is whether your flight has a seat-back video system, and especially if it's video on demand. It makes the long flights so much easier to handle! If the answer is no, then I'd suggest loading your itouch, ipad, laptop, etc with several hours worth of tv shows or movies (check also to see if your row has outlets). I'm an avid reader, but find that on flights I much prefer watching to reading.

Enjoy!

Ruth

One thing I suggest you check is whether your flight has a seat-back video system, and especially if it's video on demand. It makes the long flights so much easier to handle! If the answer is no, then I'd suggest loading your itouch, ipad, laptop, etc with several hours worth of tv shows or movies (check also to see if your row has outlets). I'm an avid reader, but find that on flights I much prefer watching to reading.

I definitely second that. There is a lot of online information now about air cabin amenities - FlyerTalk is one of the better resources I have found for each airline. Serious travel talk there from people who know their technical stuff from the inside out.

Archived