Sharing drink package

pepbcn28

We are a couple going in the Constellation soon, and I have one doubt regarding drink packages.

We are planning to buy a normal plus a premium alcohol drink package. If we go to the martini bar one of us will ask for a cocktail (premium one) and the other for a basic drink. Could we ask for second drink, and then swap our drinks? (the normal one drink the martini and the premium the normal drink)

I suppose you could, just want to know that barmen don't look at these things and originate problems...

We are a couple going in the Constellation soon, and I have one doubt regarding drink packages.

We are planning to buy a normal plus a premium alcohol drink package. If we go to the martini bar one of us will ask for a cocktail (premium one) and the other for a basic drink. Could we ask for second drink, and then swap our drinks? (the normal one drink the martini and the premium the normal drink)

I suppose you could, just want to know that barmen don't look at these things and originate problems...

Welcome to Cruise Critic! You will definitely get good advice here (perhaps even more than you wish :)).

I realize that you probably have had no experience with this particular subject but please refer to any of the following links below to get your answers regarding "sharing" your drink package. I truly think that this board has discussed this topic ad nauseam and if you just refer to the previous responses it will save many posters a great deal of angst :).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1249155&highlight=drink+package

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1194305&highlight=drink+package

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1253426&highlight=drink+package

Thanks for the links GeorgeL, I already checked them.

But I'm not talking about buying 1 package for 2 persons. What I say is to buy 2 alcohol packages for 2 persons, one premium and one basic. And using only a premium drink plus a basic one per once... I think it is quite different.

But I'm not talking about buying 1 package for 2 persons. What I say is to buy 2 alcohol packages for 2 persons, one premium and one basic. And using only a premium drink plus a basic one per once... I think it is quite different.

Your question is quite confusing (to me, anyway), especially since you have titled your post "sharing your drink package". You my want to restate your question in a different way because as it is posed now, you will get the same type of responses as you got from me.

Generally speaking, you are not supposed to do any type of maneuvering with the packages you purchase. You drink what you purchase but it is possible that I am missing your point altogether.

This was the subject of a hotly debated topic just recently, and as a public service, I am not going to provide a link, lest the flames reignite. The topic was more on the lines of if it's acceptable to share a drink with someone who has not purchased a drink package at all, but the idea of swapping drinks did also come up. Not to say that your question is not legitimate and deserves an answer, but let's just say opinion is divided as to what's correct. I will attempt to answer as diplomatically as I can.

To attempt to summarize some of the more salient points of the thread, the terms of the drink package do state "Packages may not be shared." Consensus of many (not all) was this included not allowing the practice of providing someone with a drink that they would not otherwise have been able to get on their own without purchasing it separately. It was mentoned in a quote from an interview that Celebrity does attempt to monitor this, and that some people have been told not to, but they apparently don't make it a huge priority.

Before anyone starts jumping up and down on the relatively new OP for bringing this up again, I think it was asked in the legitimate sense of wanting to find out if this is not considered to be a big deal, is it a "rule" that is often observed more in the breach, is it something more akin to violating the dress code, or will they get sent to the naughty room or put off the ship? Please be gentle. Let's try not to let this degenerate into a morals debate. I've already said all I can say on the topic for a while.

Possibly a better term for what you're proposing would be drink swapping. As I mentioned, one person would end up with a drink that they could not otherwise get without paying separately for, so most would say it's not permissible.

I am not following your plan. Could you describe what you want to do in a different way?

If your spouse had better health insurance than you, and you needed a major procedure and your spouse a minor procedure, could you swap health insurance cards? The answer to your question about the drink package would be the same.

I am not following your plan. Could you describe what you want to do in a different way?

Sounds to me that the OP is saying:

OP would buy the Premium beverage package

OP's partner would get the Classic beverage package

Now, the scenario is this:

OP & OP's partner are perusing a bar menu. OP would like a $7 tequila sunrise. OP's partner would like a $12 glass of wine. OP orders the $12 glass of wine and OP's partner orders the $7 tequila sunrise, and they each drink what the other ordered, so OP's partner can avoid having to make any additional payment for a drink that's not covered under the package s/he purchased.

Yes, it's stealing. Yes, it's outside of what is permissable in the package.

Could we ask for second drink, and then swap our drinks? (the normal one drink the martini and the premium the normal drink)

NO!

N-O spells NO.

You may not share,* and you may not swap.

So says Celebrity, and so agree 70% of CrCr members here (by poll).

Case closed!

*PS: About 57% of those polled said that it would not be a violation of the anti-sharing rule for a spouse with a beverage package to allow the other spouse to have a taste-test/sip of a drink (to see if he/she might like to purchase a second glass).

NO!

N-O spells NO.

You may not share,* and you may not swap.

So says Celebrity, and so agree 70% of CrCr members here (by poll).

Case closed!

*PS: About 57% of those polled said that it would not be a violation of the anti-sharing rule for a spouse with a beverage package to allow the other spouse to have a taste-test/sip of a drink (to see if he/she might like to purchase a second glass).

Actually, while 57% said specifically that a sip would not be a violation, nearly 90% implied that by saying that they would be even less strict with the beverage packages. Only 12% said that even a sip was stealing. Around 9% said that they would do as the OP suggested and "swap" drinks, and another 10% felt it was okay to be even less strict than that.

Actually, while 57% said specifically that a sip would not be a violation, nearly 90% implied that by saying that they would be even less strict with the beverage packages.

Sorry, "Alsmez," but your words are not an accurate reflection of the poll's results. I don't want "pepbcn28" to get the wrong impression.

Yes, 12.27% agreed with this statement:

==> "No sharing, period. No sips, no exceptions, nada."

A majority of those polled -- 57.73% -- agreed with this statement:

==> "The occasional sip is okay, just for taste testing purposes."

Notice: "just for taste-testing purposes" -- which implies, "with an eye to a potential purchase."

To say that a "sip ... for taste-testing purposes" is OK ... is quite different from merely saying that a "sip" is OK (as you did). The latter would be illicit sharing.

Also, there was nothing agreed by "nearly 90%" of those polled.

I feel sure that the Celebrity representative who read the poll here added the top two numbers (12.27% and 57.73%) -- to see that 70% of CrCr members would follow their rule against sharing. In fact, one could argue that the figure is actually 80%, because the third-most votes (10.45%) were cast for an action that is unlikely to happen very often and thus probably wouldn't trouble Celebrity: ==> "If the package holder doesn’t like it, someone else can drink it."

You paid for what you ordered...it doesn't matter who drinks what. Yes...do it, it's fine.

Did you even read the thread before posting? Have you ever even sailed on Celebrity before? Are you aware that it is about drink packages that are PER PERSON - not a person buying a drink a-la-carte and then giving it to someone else? You are basically telling people to go and steal.

Sorry, "Alsmez," but your words are not an accurate reflection of the poll's results. I don't want "pepbcn28" to get the wrong impression.

Notice: "just for taste-testing purposes" -- which implies, "with an eye to a potential purchase."

To say that a "sip ... for taste-testing purposes" is OK ... is quite different from merely saying that a "sip" is OK (as you did). The latter would be illicit sharing.

I feel sure that the Celebrity representative who read the poll here added the top two numbers (12.27% and 57.73%) -- to see that 70% of CrCr members would follow their rule against sharing.

JG, are you really trying to imply that those who voted for an extremely permissive interpretation such as swapping or sneaking things past the bartender would be against the "a sip is okay" option? The poll was purposely set up so that the answers became progressively more permissive, thereby making it a safe assumption that if you were okay with answer 4, you'd be okay with answers 1-3 as well. Hence, 88% of those polled (i.e., everyone except the 12% that chose answer 1) would be okay with a sip, and many would be okay with more. As for taste-testing purposes, that response doesn't differentiate between those who took it literally and those who took it with a wink-wink-nudge-nudge.

As for the X representatives that read these boards, I feel sure that they couldn't care less how you or I interpret the poll results, or what we think is okay as far as sharing/sipping/swapping drink packages is concerned. They'll make their own rules and enforce them as they see fit, without help from you or me.

I feel sure that the Celebrity representative who read the poll here added the top two numbers (12.27% and 57.73%) -- to see that 70% of CrCr members would follow their rule against sharing. In fact, one could argue that the figure is actually 80%, because the third-most votes (10.45%) were cast for an action that is unlikely to happen very often and thus probably wouldn't trouble Celebrity: ==> "If the package holder doesn’t like it, someone else can drink it."

Did you even read the thread before posting? Have you ever even sailed on Celebrity before? Are you aware that it is about drink packages that are PER PERSON - not a person buying a drink a-la-carte and then giving it to someone else? You are basically telling people to go and steal.

JG, are you really trying to imply that those who voted for an extremely permissive interpretation such as swapping or sneaking things past the bartender would be against the "a sip is okay" option? The poll was purposely set up so that the answers became progressively more permissive, thereby making it a safe assumption that if you were okay with answer 4, you'd be okay with answers 1-3 as well. Hence, 88% of those polled (i.e., everyone except the 12% that chose answer 1) would be okay with a sip, and many would be okay with more. As for taste-testing purposes, that response doesn't differentiate between those who took it literally and those who took it with a wink-wink-nudge-nudge.

As for the X representatives that read these boards, I feel sure that they couldn't care less how you or I interpret the poll results, or what we think is okay as far as sharing/sipping/swapping drink packages is concerned. They'll make their own rules and enforce them as they see fit, without help from you or me.

Oh boy! Here we go again.

I did try to warn the OP of this but this topic (as well as the cursed "dress code" thread seem to be like a bone that no dog wants to let go.

As a couple with a joint back account I do find it odd when people get so het up about the odd swap of drinks - after all it has come from the same 'pot'. It isn't as if they haven't paid a fortune for the packages in the first place!

We have just returned from a cruise and both had been given £50 on board spending --- as hubby signed most recepits we overlooked the fact that I wasn't spending all of mine. At the end of the holiday P&O transfered my left over credit to my husband's account name without asking ------ we were surprised and grateful.

Sorry if my question was not clear. I'm not an English spoken man, so maybe I didn't express it well.

I just read all your comments with attention. Thanks for all, but i was not asking about moral or legal matters. Moral is personal, legal is clear.

Thanks for all

Are you people for REAL? Seriously, are you for real?? :eek: :confused:

Again... another thread where you have beat up and berated an innocent new poster for an innocent question that deserves an innocent answer.

No one is talking about stealing! No one is taking about sharing!

THEY WILL EACH HAVE A DRINK PACKAGE.

THEY HAVE EACH PAID FOR THEIR DRINKS.

If one orders a martini from their premium package and another orders a merlot from their classic package, then they are absolutely, 100% within the parameters of the drink packages!!

WHICH PERSON DRINKS THE BLEEPIN' DRINK SHOULD NOT MATTER ONE BLEEPIN' BIT!

Sorry if my question was not clear. I'm not an English spoken man, so maybe I didn't express it well.

I just read all your comments with attention. Thanks for all, but i was not asking about moral or legal matters. Moral is personal, legal is clear.

Thanks for all

Now I am even more confused by your inquiry.

Clearly, no one is assuming that you pose a legal question on these boards as we are not lawyers (or at least most of us are not). As far as "moral", you did "just want to know that barmen don't look at these things and originate problems... " What does that mean? What were the types of "problems" to which you were referring? You do have me very curious now :).

THEY WILL EACH HAVE A DRINK PACKAGE.

THEY HAVE EACH PAID FOR THEIR DRINKS.

If one orders a martini from their premium package and another orders a merlot from their classic package, then they are absolutely, 100% within the parameters of the drink packages!!

WHICH PERSON DRINKS THE BLEEPIN' DRINK SHOULD NOT MATTER ONE BLEEPIN' BIT YOU ANY OF YOU!

My wife and I each have a health insurance policy.

We have each paid for our premiums.

If I have heart surgery and my wife has a physical examination, does it matter which person's insurance policy we use for which procedure?

Thanks for all

I am SO SORRY that you feel you must defend yourself.

I hope you enjoy your drink packages and enjoy your cruise.

Archived