Opposition to the Master Chef's Dinner?

tkq

I am one HAL loyalist who really enjoys the MCD, but I'll try to explain the opposition to it.

Some people feel that what sets HAL apart is the elegant ambiance and overall classy nature of the cruise. The main dining room is an integral part of that--good food served in the traditional manner by courteous, professional waiters. The MCD injects singing, dancing, napkin waving, and a general sense of silliness into that experience. They don't think it is appropriate on a HAL ship.

What Iceman said. Plus, the food choices are terrible. Everything, it seems, comes with, in, or on fungus (mushrooms). The only dish missing them is the Baked Alaska (and then, I believe you get it on the side ;)).

We are going on our 1st HAL cruise in November - a 7 day Mexican Riviera itinerary? What and when is the MCD? Sounds like it might be a good night to go to the Pinnacle. Also, can someone tell me which nights are usually the formal nights?

Thanks!

Deborah

A. It is the only time I can get hubby to sit still long enough to get a photo of him, let alone wone where he looks so funny with the Chef's Hat on:D

B. I think the silliness, as some people call it, is fun and brings out the smile to many a diner's face.

C. I just really like it and think it is a lot of fun!

Joanie

OK, it's silly, but so were the old Dutch nights with the funky hats. The main difference is that it takes longer than the old Dutch nights, and the staff is distracted from providing their usual stellar service -- on Noordam, we didn't even get the salad course. Not that we cared overmuch, but it was because the wait staff was taken up in the silliness, whereas before on the Dutch nights, it was up to us whether to be so and the staff was as professional as ever.

We did the MCD on the first leg of our Collectors Cruise, but made reservations at Pinnacle for the second leg.

On our cruise, the MCD was the last night aboard. That may vary by ship/itinerary of course.

Dave

I've never understood the opposition to the MCD - if you don't like the singing/dancing, ignore it. Drink your wine or order another cocktail while its going on. If you MUST have your next course within 2.78 minutes of finishing your previous course, and the singing/dancing of the MCD interferes with that, go to the Lido or Pinnacle (I have NEVER found the delay in service that intrusive due to singing/dancing). I don't remember a surfeit of mushrooms on the menu either but then I like mushrooms and regardless, have never gone hungry during the MCD regardless of the quantity of fungi. It may be corny and kitschy, but I find it far preferrable to a group of non-Americans singing 'God bless America' just because corporate says that's what you have to do!. As for baked Alaska, you can keep it, so that doesn't bother me either - I don't like it regardless of how it's served (with or without singing). If it's served, I'll decline it and order something to my liking off the menu (you aren't forced to eat it!).

If you've never experienced it, try it and if YOU decide you don't like it, plan accordingly the next time. It's never 'ruined' my cruise and I've never specifically booked into the Pinnacle to avoid it.

Just my 2 cents but that is how I feel.

Doug

I feel anyone on their first HAL cruise should try it for themselves; it's cute and fun.

After I had my first, I realized all the WORK the servers had to do to prepare for it.

It's my belief that these men are hired to be excellent servers..........not to be dancers and to try to get food served in half the regular time because they must dance, juggle, etc.

I've seen it, enjoyed it once, but won't go to any further ones and I tell them the reason why on my "end of cruise evaluation."

Let these gentlemen do what they were hired to do.;)

What Iceman said. Plus, the food choices are terrible. Everything, it seems, comes with, in, or on fungus (mushrooms). The only dish missing them is the Baked Alaska (and then, I believe you get it on the side ;)).

I hate mushrooms too, really the only complaint I've had about the MCD in the past. That's why I was so surprised on our Hawaii cruise last April, there weren't any mushrooms on the menu! (or if there were, very, very little). Hoping this is a change fleet-wide and not just on that sailing.

I don't love the MCD, but I certainly don't hate it either. We hadn't planned to go last time because of the mushroom issue, but made a mistake about which night it would be, and ended up going. Glad we went now.

I agree with KAYEF. If you're a first time cruiser on HAL, go and enjoy. It's kinda cute.

If, however, like me, you've been on a number of HAL cruises, it does tend to get a bit old. And the last one I attended, by mistake, was awfully loud! We could hardly hear each other's conversation, and it was on the last night, which made it even more of an annoyance. I left the table early, before dessert, and actually let the CD know when he found me in the Crow's Nest. He was wonderful about it, and even had some special chocolate yummy thing brought up to me there to enjoy with my after dinner coffee.

I think this is a "corporate" thing, and I don't think most of the staff/crew enjoy it either. It is rather "Carnival"ish, as Pennypocket alluded to.

Simply put, we do not like it. It is not like going to a "theme" restaurant with singing servers, where you would expect entertainment with your dinner. This is just plain hokey, IMO. It is just my opinion. To each his own, and that is ok. Different strokes, etc. I do agree though, that folks should try it at least once, and then form their own opinion.

After 2 or 3 times enduring the experience we just opt to dine somewhere else on the ship. It just wore thin with us.

Hubby can't miss his Duck Breast a' l'Orange. Hope they still have it in November! I think everyone should at least attend on their first cruise and decide for themselves.

quote from PennyPocket: "Another example of Corporate Carnival style down marketing to reach a market that possibly should not be cruising as the entertainment that attracts this crowd is very Vegas with a mix of bubba's rustic cabin BBQ."

I find that comment a little over the top. I will continue cruising HAL and I don't think I've offended anyone because we enjoy the MCDinner. :p

Linda & Vern

looking forward to the Zuiderdam in November!

Maasdam (2) Veendam (1)

I like it.

So do I, actually, now that it's been simplified and revamped from its previous formula. Also, the menu is more extensive than it used to be. In terms of taste and selection, one of the best dinnners we had in the MDR during our 14-day Amsterdam Alaska cruise this past May was the Master Chef's Dinner. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Sorry to butt-in and ask for advice myself, but some of the responses got me wondering. My husband and I had sailed with HAL once before and enjoyed the experience so much that we are doing a very similiar itinerary, with the addition of my parents.

This will be their first cruise, so we have every intention of attending the MCD. We have an "open dining" assignment (to better accomodate excursion schedules, etc.). Any suggestions as to when we should plan to attend dinner that night and where we should request to be seated?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!:)

I have second RuthC's comment about the MCD and mushrooms.

Granted, this happened last summer on Ryndam and the menu may have changed. But, my travel companion for that cruise is so allergic to mushrooms she has to carry an epi pen.

She took a look at MCD menu, turned sheet white, then bright red. (Could practically see the steam build up, then start leaking from her ears.)

Before she could explode, I grabbed her hand and said, "Relax. Remember I told you we had to eat in the Pinnacle one night? This is the night, and that menu is why. Our reservations are for 7p.m."

Archived