flip flops dangerous?

capsfan24

I think the less expensive, flat, barely-textured flip flops are the ones people have a problem with. When you combine the flat rubber/foam material with wet wooden planks or wet painted surface, you're going to get a hydroplane effect. I just bought some new flip flops that have a nice, sneaker-like tread on the bottom. They cost a little more than a cheap pair of throwaway flipflops but they'll last a lot longer and they're much more comfortable.

I did a gold medal worth pirouette while hydroplaning in flip-flops on a walk on deck after the rain. Very embarrassing and resulted in a sprained wrist. :o Didn’t ruin my day or my cruise! But now have invested in a good pair of flip-flops with decent tread, they are Croc flip-flops which are much nicer then the originals and very comfy!

Crocs has really expanded their line and have some really nice styles.

I love my flip flops...Old Navy type and fancy beaded types. I am very cautious when walking on wet decks....in fact, so cautious, I probably look stupid watching my feet and tiptoeing across wet decks.

I keep telling myself to pack my aqua socks for deck walking....just be careful.

I LOVE my Fit Flops... not just pretty and practical.. but also create a work out!

I've been wearing them over a year also. I did fall in the street once..when the front caught on a crack in the sidewalk.

As far as falling....some people have better balance than others.

But the "cheap flip flops" without the treads on the bottom would be the easiest ones to go sliding in.

Like everything...if you never experience a problem...you never see the reason to "upgrade" (like people who boast have they saved $$$ by not buying insurance)

Any doctor or lawyer will tell you to avoid flip flops. They are not good for your feet and lower legs. And if you are ever in a fall accident the first question is were you wearing flip flops? It is typically assumed the fall was caused by your footwear if they are flip flops. They are worse than going barefoot in most cases.

Now there are sandles and high end beach/deck shoes that cost more than the generic flip flops that would work very well and your feet would still be cool.

Any doctor or lawyer will tell you to avoid flip flops. They are not good for your feet and lower legs. And if you are ever in a fall accident the first question is were you wearing flip flops? It is typically assumed the fall was caused by your footwear if they are flip flops. They are worse than going barefoot in most cases.

Now there are sandles and high end beach/deck shoes that cost more than the generic flip flops that would work very well and your feet would still be cool.

Oddly enough, a pretty big study just came out that flip flops were actually the best shoe for knee problems. :eek: Kind of surprising. I do know my lower back actually feels better walking in flip flops than it does in tennis shoes. But I have flat feet so any type of arch support like athletic shoes usually have tends to hurt me.

I've seen people wipe out on probably every cruise. And I have done it myself. I fell twice on the same night in the same place. The Lido deck area by the main pool, epecially the part near the buffet is ALWAYS slippery. Spilled drinks and food + water on the deck from the pool = slippery. It doesn't really matter what kind of shoes you are wearing. And it's worse if you've had a few drinks and/or the ships rocking. On our last cruise, a guy fell on Lido and messed himself up good. He had to be taken off the ship. It happenned right before the ship was to leave Belize. Be careful.

i can have have lousy judgment and balance at times, so i won't wear flip flops on the ships. i also have a weak knee. it worries me that i'll slip and slide and fall. all of which i've done, so i just wear sandals with great traction. i still watch where i walk if i suspect it could be a slippery surface (near the pools, hot tubs, buffet area, pretty anywhere and everywhere someone could spill a drink)!

if you're normally safe wearing flip flops, then just watch where you walk. if you're like me and can have problems, then be safe and wear footwear with good tread (apparently there are flip flops with great tread too) and watch where you step.

bon voyage!

Why does everyone say people shouldn't wear flip flops on deck? I would assume traction reasons. My wife wears flip flops all the time and I told her she might want to wear shoes on deck but she just says whatever

I think heelies are more dangerous then flip flops in MHO.....

As I've admitted before, "down time" finds me positioned in specific areas where I can actually pick out those that are about to, and usually do, stumble. I could make a mint for a show if it weren't for the copyright of AFV.

Combo of flip flops, and a wet surface, just spells disaster. The Lido and the marble areas of the MDR are the worst. Staircases are fun too.

Flip flops should be used for what they were created. The beach.

I wear mine all the time and have only had issue one time. There are some flip flops that when they get wet they aren't only very slippery on the bottom they are very slippery where your foot rests. Accident waiting to happen....just be careful.

As long as they have a good (non-skid) sole, and you are coordinated, they are fine. I've never had a problem. Have too many drinks, and you may have a problem, but then again, you're probably going to have a problem in any shoe.

Slick marble is slick marble and few shoes are going to help you if it's wet.

Agreed. The only difference may be the cheapo flops that are completely flat on the bottom. Then, as someone previously stated, you are in danger of hydroplaning on a wet surface. If there is any amount of grooves on the sole, then at least that won't happen. But hiking boots with deep tread are not gonna make you more stable. They might be good on a soft surface like grass or a trail, but not on a hard surface. Seriously, we sat in one spot for an hour or two and saw several people go down. It's funny if no one gets hurt, and I laughed at myself embarassed when I fell. But you can get hurt. FWIW, I was wearing Teva sandals with deep tread, not flops.

Why does everyone say people shouldn't wear flip flops on deck? I would assume traction reasons. My wife wears flip flops all the time and I told her she might want to wear shoes on deck but she just says whatever

I wore a pair of flippies that had a suede(ish) footbed and the bottom had nubs for traction. I found them to be pretty comfortable, but I could see how it the deck is really slippery, they would might be a little slippery. Wear what ya want, just be careful!

Archived