Wine package

SusieV

How does the build your own work? Can you choose ANY three bottles at $75 or more from the MDR menu (or specialty dining) and save the 15%? Do you have to choose the wine in advance or can it be decided spontaneously at dinner?

I'm curious about this one too. On the website it says "Select 3 or more bottles valued at $75 each or more to receive an overall savings of 15%. To purchase this package look for our wine exposition on embarkation day." I assume from this that you have to choose them then, rather than in the dining room. But what I would like to know is can you choose 3 or more bottles at $75+ and a few that are less expensive and get the 15% off everything. We're doing a 14 night cruise, and will easily drink 12 or more bottles, but don't necessarily want to spend $75 per.

In another thread, someone also says that the bottle is to be opened in one venue, and will be re-corked and saved for next visit. I hope this isn't true, because we would prefer to have a couple of glasses with dinner, then finish the bottle somewhere else (room, poolside, etc.).

We would be interested in hearing more about this as well as we intend to use it in November. The website indicates that there will be somewhere to order this on embarkation so I am hoping the location will be on the early information sheet you can pick up when you board.

As far as unfinished bottles are concerned, they will normally keep it for you and deliver it to where you will be dining the next evening. However, I believe that this is for your convenience as it will be kept in a wine cooler to ensure that it is in good condition the next night. I can see no reason why you would not be allowed to take it back to your room if you prefer.

Sue

How does the build your own work? Can you choose ANY three bottles at $75 or more from the MDR menu (or specialty dining) and save the 15%? Do you have to choose the wine in advance or can it be decided spontaneously at dinner?

Hi Susie:

Both ourselves and the couple we were travelling with each purchased the 5 bottle wine package last December 2009 on the Millennium. There was a display set up near guest relations, and you could choose from a 3-, 5- or 7- bottle package. The wines that you could choose from were listed for each package. They were certainly not extensive lists; we definitely were not able to choose from the main wine list.

We chose our wines at the time we purchased our package, and our friends chose their wines at the dinner table that evening, with the assistance of the sommelier.

When we dined in the Olympic specialty restaurant, I asked the sommelier if we could swap out one of our bottles from the wine package for a better wine. She said "certainly", without a moment's hesitation, and our bill showed the credit for the wine we traded in...the credit was at least the list price of the "package" wine (i.e. the credit was not just for the discounted price that we had actually paid), so in effect, we continued to receive the 15% savings on the whole package.

We never tried to make any changes in the MDR after our initial decisions were made, so I don't know if you could do any "swapping out" in the MDR or not. The four of us were enjoying the 10 bottles together, and were usually using a bottle of white concurrently with a bottle of red, depending on what was appropriate for our dinner selections. Our sommelier was terrific, and made the whole thing a breeze. She always knew what we had selected and what we had left, and made great suggestions as to which wine to select for our various dining choices.

I'm curious about this one too. On the website it says "Select 3 or more bottles valued at $75 each or more to receive an overall savings of 15%. To purchase this package look for our wine exposition on embarkation day." I assume from this that you have to choose them then, rather than in the dining room. But what I would like to know is can you choose 3 or more bottles at $75+ and a few that are less expensive and get the 15% off everything. We're doing a 14 night cruise, and will easily drink 12 or more bottles, but don't necessarily want to spend $75 per.

In another thread, someone also says that the bottle is to be opened in one venue, and will be re-corked and saved for next visit. I hope this isn't true, because we would prefer to have a couple of glasses with dinner, then finish the bottle somewhere else (room, poolside, etc.).

Hi Dexter:

If memory serves me correctly, there were 3 different levels of wine. You could choose 3 bottles from one level at one price, and three bottles from another level at a different price, and so on.

We had one of our bottles of wine served to us in the Casual Dining venue one night, and one sent to the Olympic restaurant on another night (we were in the Olympic 4 times on a 10 day cruise). I never tried to have a bottle sent to our room, but I very rarely hear the word "no" on Celebrity, so if I had to guess, I'd guess that you could have it delivered to your room. Not so sure about the pool, as I would be more into a frosty drink or a soft drink out in the sun, and I don't know how tricky it would be for the pool waiters to access our wine. :)

This was our experience last December. I don't know if anything has changed since then.

According to the Celebrity website, the "build your own" wine package is different to the packages mentioned by elena7seas and only available to purchase on board. It is this package I [and, I believe, the OP] are interested in.

Sue

According to the Celebrity website, the "build your own" wine package is different to the packages mentioned by elena7seas and only available to purchase on board. It is this package I [and, I believe, the OP] are interested in.

Sue

Hi Sue:

The Build-Your-Own Package was one of the options (and the most expensive option) that was included in the onboard display I mentioned above. There was a display set up near Guest Relations with an attendant Sommelier to explain the details and take your order, but it was not the only location or opportunity where you could place the order. The package we selected was at the pricepoint below the "Build Your Own Wine Package", but the way that both were handled was similar, so I posted my experience with the second tier package.

From the Celebrity website:

taste_of_the_vineyards_hdr.gif

Celebrity's Taste of the Vineyards presents you with a worry-free way to choose wine for your entire cruise. Produced by top quality vineyards and international regions, our collection is designed to provide you with a vast assortment to choose from, as well as superior value. Simply advise your sommelier which wine you would like to have with your meal.

Quantities vary per package. Once you have confirmed your purchase online, the order cannot be modified. You may, however, cancel the order and then make your purchase(s) again.

Packages must be pre-reserved a minimum of four days before your sail date. To purchase Beverage Packages on board, please visit any bar throughout the ship.

The Captain's Package

The Captain's Package offers a superb collection of wines suitable for all your tastes and preferences. You may also choose to mix and match wines from the Sommelier's Package to further enhance your enjoyment. Package pricing represents a savings of 10% off regular list prices.

*Starting from: 129.00 USD Per Package

The Sommelier's Package

With the Sommelier's Package, savor premium international selections. Sample wines from Italy such as Bertani®, Renwood® from Washington, and S.A. Prum® from Germany. Package pricing represents a savings of 5% off regular list prices.

*Starting from: 99.00 USD Per Package

Build Your Own Wine Package

A package for the connoisseur. Choose from selections** such as boutique California, French Grand Cru and Italian Super Tuscan wines. Also receive a $10 coupon towards our Riedel Comparative Wine Glass Workshop. Limit two per package. Select 3 or more bottles valued at $75 each or more to receive an overall savings of 15%. To purchase this package look for our wine exposition on embarkation day.

*Starting from: 191.25 USD Per Package

** The link in the "Build Your Own Wine Package" takes you to another window that provides the following information:

package_selections_hdr.gif

Celebrity Cruises proudly partners with following brands to offer you, our guests, greater pleasure and value. Package selections include, but are not limited to the following brands:

Ducru Beahcaillou, Chateau Latour, Cristal, Far Niente, Guado Al Tasso, Tignanello

Would appreciate info from anyone who has used this on the Solstice. Anyone know if selection is different in europe vs Caribbean cruises

Thanks

Carole

Would appreciate info from anyone who has used this on the Solstice. Anyone know if selection is different in europe vs Caribbean cruises

Thanks

Carole

We did not find the selection different but that was Sept 07 & we were also allowed to bring back on board a bottle of wine, which was great since we went to Tuscany.

Sue

Yes, this is the one I am interested in hearing more about. I don't want to be restricted to a few options since the MDR list isn't great as it is.

Yes, this is the one I am interested in hearing more about. I don't want to be restricted to a few options since the MDR list isn't great as it is.

I don't remember this package last year. We're cruising on Solstice this fall and may look into it. If so, I'll give my impressions on the package, choices and quality.

Mary Lou

I am leaving on the Mercury tomorrow. Would you like me to find out how the "Build Your Own Wine Package is structured, and what kind of wines can be selected?

That is, if it is offered on the Mercury. :)

I am leaving on the Mercury tomorrow. Would you like me to find out how the "Build Your Own Wine Package is structured, and what kind of wines can be selected?

Many thanks for your responses and explanation. It would be great if you could find out about the package without inconveniencing yourself too much. Enjoy Mercury!

Sue

Yes please! I would really appreciate that. Enjoy your cruise!

Archived