Polo Shirts or Tropical Shirts?

Cruisedreamer1

I've gone from wearing tropical shirts and polo shirts in the evening to wearing long sleeve dress shirts, but I've also gone from a youthful 64 to a crotchety 70. They say that as one ages, one becomes more conservative, and it's true -- in my dress. Other than that...:p

I still won't wear socks with boat shoes. Socks are formal wear. ;)

We like polo shirts and for travel buy the cotton/polyester variety at one of the discount stores for "cheap".

With the blow-up hangers they sell at travel stores the rinse out and dry overnight letting us travel with minimal daytime wear and little worry about stains or damage.

Certainly we have no objection to tropical shirts and have seen them at dinner many times. Maybe a little less at Polo or Toscana.

We, like Don, prefer to wear a long sleeve button down dress shirt for dinner as we fell a little more "dressed up". However, there are many male passengers in polo shirts, tropical shirts or short sleeve shirts at dinner.

That is one of the joys of Oceania, no strict dress code and no visits from the fashion police. In spite of this everyone seems to be able to look nice while being relaxed.

• 2 weeks later...
i've gone from wearing tropical shirts and polo shirts in the evening to wearing long sleeve dress shirts, but i've also gone from a youthful 64 to a crotchety 70. They say that as one ages, one becomes more conservative, and it's true -- in my dress. Other than that...:p

i still won't wear socks with boat shoes. Socks are formal wear. ;)

one sock!

Hmmm .. do you get the feeling that pretty much anything will work?

My husband "dresses up" with a leather jacket he acquired in Majorca in 1982 ... other than that, he likes casual shirts (assuming they have pockets, they MUST have pockets). Polos are fine. (He's not into tropical but that's a personal taste.)

This is NOT something you need to worry about, really!

Okay...

I tend to wear, at least for dinner and evening wear around the ship only shirts with collars and buttons all the way down the front...(during the day, it's shorts and T-Shirts)...

Doesn't matter if it's a "conservative" Hawaiian print, a stripe or plaid or a solid...The key for me is that it has to "look nice", nicely laundered and ironed, stylish, not obnoxious...I usually wear short sleeves (I am on vacation) but I'll often bring along at least one long-sleeved, buttoned down conservative looking solid shirt for "special" dinners...I'll wear any of the above with either khaki, beige or tan Dockers and brown suede Merrell slip-on loafers...

The idea is to dress casual, but still look presentable...

If you are the kind of guy who looks good in Hawaiian shirts, wear Hawaiian shirts...

If your personal style is those 50s Retro sports shirts, wear those...

If you can be neatly dressed and look nice enough in a polo shirt (hopefully with a collar and a few buttons, right?), go ahead...

I usually see some older men on Oceania wearing sports coats to dinner...good for them...I don't...I don't want to waste room in my luggage packing one...

Everyone has a different idea as to what "Casual" or "Country Club Casual" means...

You will see all styles of dress onboard...use your judgement and personal sense of fashion and style as a guide...

These are my standard fare. Wear them in work and everynight on O. I take ONE button down for pre cruise goings on.

For anyone who is having a hard time going from the cruise lines that tell you what costume to wear at dinner, here is an Idea:

Casual : Loud or exotic Hawaiian

Semi Formal: Demure Patterned Hawaiian

Formal : Solid Hawaiian

I am a semi set in my ways 57 yo.

As a lawyer, i have my share of days in a buisness suit. So i was more than pleased to enjoy the casual attire on Oceania. As long as I am clean and slightly pressed, i fit in, be that in a polo, a short sleeve shirt, or a hawaiian print. daytime attire was neat t-shirts.....

NO ONE CARED, so long as you are 'neat' in appearance, just be comfortable and enjoy your cruise.

Archived