Turning cruise into fitness spa?

alaskagirl2010

Interesting idea! I haven't done it, but I could see how one could easily do it on Princess. There are daily free classes put on by the spa (usually to promote a product), as well as regularly scheduled exercise classes that are available for a small fee. The menu notes healthier items with a lotus blossom and especially on port days there are usually spa specials with reduced prices. Sounds like a fun idea. I'm sure someone at the spa and fitness center would be glad to help you come up with a daily plan.

I cruised with a friend once who paid for time working out with a personal trainer on board a ship. She was sorely disappointed, said it wasn't at all like a PT on land and that their only interest was in selling additional products and services. So, if that's what it takes to get or keep you motivated, that's great, but you might do better to invest the same money in 2 or 3 times as much training time at home.

I have been on only one cruise.....I had just lost 20lbs. I wanted to stick with a good workout plan. I was all set to keep up with exercising on the ship, I had brought a workout outfit and some tennies (sneakers)....after breakfast on the first day...I went to the fitness center and not one single bike,treadmill, bench, weights, or exercise machine was available....NOTHING! Oh Well...I tried....I did SCUBA every day on my 4 port stops....and when I got home had not gained even 1 pound........it could be because I eat no lunches on port days....not included with my SCUBA excusions.

So I can say that in my meek experience.... A LOT OF PEOPLE WORK OUT ON THE SHIP!!!!

Anyone try this? How did you do it. Personal trainer? Spa menu? Were you successful?

I bet you could help form an affinity group on a specific sailing and have a few special events for your group that focus on wellness and fitness.

After giving this a little more thought the idea is really growing on me. I may try it on one of our upcoming cruises. Some suggestions:

Purchase a week pass for the Thermal Spa

Take at least one class a day (yoga, pilates, spinning, etc.)

Regular walks around the promenade deck

Take advantage of special rates to do at least two to four spa treatments

Attend a few of the "classes" (even if they are trying to sell me something)

Choose only Lotus spa items on the menu

Sounds like a very nice way to spend some quality time at sea!

Thanks for ideas, my upcoming cruise has 10 at sea days. I'm trying to come up with a plan.

Wow with that many sea days you can do a lot of fitness. I like the ideal of forming a fitness group, great bonding and benefits.

I did SCUBA every day on my 4 port stops....and when I got home had not gained even 1 pound........it could be because I eat no lunches on port days....not included with my SCUBA excusions.

Diving is HARD work! Just reboarding the dive boat with all your gear...talk about leg presses! I am absolutely ravenous when I reboard the ship after diving, and we usually head up to the grill. I seldom eat beef, but nothing tastes as good as a loaded burger after an afternoon spent diving.

Check out http://www.cruisetorun.com

My wife and I will be taking part in the Caribbean cruise for the second time this coming January. Our first cruise was also with the Cruise to Run group. It was a great trip and a very interesting way to see each of the islands.

It also helped us keep our onboard gluttony in check knowing that we had an early morning run to do each morning.

Check out http://www.cruisetorun.com

My wife and I will be taking part in the Caribbean cruise for the second time this coming January. Our first cruise was also with the Cruise to Run group. It was a great trip and a very interesting way to see each of the islands.

It also helped us keep our onboard gluttony in check knowing that we had an early morning run to do each morning.

Yup! I did the same cruise with a friend last year! We also did a bit of pool running early in the morning before the run. As well, we never - ever took the elevator. I don't think I gained any weight either!

On another cruise - this was HAL - I was training for a half ironman, so I took all of the spin, yoga and pilates classes. I ran on my own as soon as the ship docked. We were on the East Coast cruise, and I knew the port areas were safe, as I had been to several of them before.

So yes, fitness and vitality can be a priority on a cruise!

Archived