Hurricane Earl Advisory From HAL

geocruiser

41057_480504275728_551215728_7004733_3429245_n.jpg

Eurodam

58482_480504285728_551215728_7004734_5369820_n.jpg

Veendam (04 SEP @ 0100 hrs)

Last reported at 2010-Sep-04 01:00 UTC. Time now 2010-Sep-04 02:49 UTC.

Position N 34°24', W 067°42'.

Wind from 240 at 42 knots

Waves 5.0 meters (16 feet), 3 second period

</SPAN>

Barometer 1018.1 mb

Air temperature 27.0 ° C

Visibility: greater than 5.4 NM

Dewpoint 26.7 ° C

41339_480504300728_551215728_7004735_2101889_n.jpg

Veendam #2 zoom out

41339_480504305728_551215728_7004736_5923490_n.jpg

Maasdam track

Are these actual reports from the Veendam?? I am tracking her position but where do you get sea conditions?? Looks like she is taking the hit on the port forward quarter since her course seems to be about 320. Quite a hit at 42 knots!!

Veendam (04 SEP @ 0100 hrs)

Last reported at 2010-Sep-04 01:00 UTC. Time now 2010-Sep-04 02:49 UTC.

Position N 34°24', W 067°42'.

Wind from 240 at 42 knots

Waves 5.0 meters (16 feet), 3 second period

</SPAN>

Barometer 1018.1 mb

Air temperature 27.0 ° C

Visibility: greater than 5.4 NM

Dewpoint 26.7 ° C

Semper Fi

Copper--that position map is showing the Carnival Glory as off the coast of Cape Cod but I just checked the Saint John Harbour webcam and she is sitting at Pugsley Terminal.

On the listing below the map it will show the time that the position was reported. Sometimes they aren't very current especially when not moving as seems to be the case with the Glory (last report was yesterday). The readings are not real time. Apparently it is up to the ship to periodically update.

On the listing below the map it will show the time that the position was reported. Sometimes they aren't very current especially when not moving as seems to be the case with the Glory (last report was yesterday). The readings are not real time. Apparently it is up to the ship to periodically update.

So it is not necessarily a "real time" position------Got it. Thanks.

Yeah and that's where that map shows her (larger red dot)

Yup......... ;) It surely looks that way. Of course, the big dot doesn't show she moved terminals yesterday, not that it's a particularly critrical piece of info to show.

Storm is passed; Maasdam will finish disembarking, will bring aboard her new guests and off she will go today so that red dot will be 'on the move'. :D

May she always sail safe.

sapper1,

How is your weather?

Maria

So far just a bit of rain and brisk wind. We are supposed to have torrential rains starting around 11AM Atlantic (10 Eastern). Winds are supposed to increase substantially. We'll see.

I thought Veendam was due in tomorrow morning even though they left early? I know the seas have calmed a lot. Saw this morning they were maybe 17 feet up around Cape Cod. Hoping they've also calmed for the Veendam's return because when 35 to 40 feet didn't sound like a heck of a lot of fun.

If they left 5 hours early as posted earlier on this thread, they should arrive during the night tonight unless the seas slow them down. We sailed out of NY to the Caribbean in 16 ft. seas and that wasn't too much fun. Hope they have an easy ride.

Toad, Sail&seas, innlady1 & RuthC

How did all of you make it through Earl? I hope all of you are fine.

Maria

Thank you for asking, Maria.

We got some bands of very heavy rain on and off for about 3 or so hours but little wind. Tonight is a sunny beautiful day...... perfect to board Maasdam and enjoy first lunch aboard outside back of Lido. :) Wish we were still there. We're sorry we missed those few days off our cruise but very grateful all stayed safe and Captain took good care of ship, crew and guests.

From the wired New York webcam, it looks as though Carnival Miracle and NCL Jewel which are scheduled to be there today, are in fact at the pier. No Veendam yet. I expect she'll be there later tonight.

Veendam is going slowly and all is well. A bumpy ride but nothing to be concerned. She expects to arrive NYC as scheduled.

We just received an e-mail from a friend aboard so this is very current info.

So it is not necessarily a "real time" position------Got it. Thanks.
Right - once a day at most, and since it's voluntary reporting by the ships, often it's several days ... or weeks ... or months ... or years out-of-date. Regal Princess last reported in Oct 2007 ... when it went over to P&O Australia and became Pacific Dawn. :)

Check the dates in the table:

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/cruiseships.phtml

Right - once a day at most, and since it's voluntary reporting by the ships, often it's several days ... or weeks ... or months ... or years out-of-date. Regal Princess last reported in Oct 2007 ... when it went over to P&O Australia and became Pacific Dawn. :)

Check the dates in the table:

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/cruiseships.phtml

:rolleyes: Wow... makes for a Real Reliable, Valuable resource. :D :eek: Worthless would be the best description I can think of. :D

Veendam is going slowly and all is well. A bumpy ride but nothing to be concerned. She expects to arrive NYC as scheduled.

We just received an e-mail from a friend aboard so this is very current info.

Glad to hear that about Veendam. Sorry I can't go see her tomorrow. But, I'll be on board for a visit on 10/3.

Toad, Sail&seas, innlady1 & RuthC

How did all of you make it through Earl? I hope all of you are fine.

Maria

54 MPH winds (which is not that bad), high seas, street flooding but no damage to speak of. Just a few leaks here and there in the inn...no matter how hard we try, we always get some!

It's gorgeous today...and pretty much back to normal. Thanks for asking!

54 MPH winds (which is not that bad), high seas, street flooding but no damage to speak of. Just a few leaks here and there in the inn...no matter how hard we try, we always get some!

It's gorgeous today...and pretty much back to normal. Thanks for asking!

Thanks for checking in -- glad you are safe and only have a few leaks in the inn.

Archived