Formal Night Every Night

borg1of2

Nope, not me! I'm surprised that this tradition is still in practice.

Ditto...formal nights are an antiquated notion, along with other outdated things like dial telephones, black and white TVs, ice boxes, cars with rumble seats, etc. Just because something was in vogue years ago doesn't mean it has to continue in perpetuity.

Having said that, the idea of a separate dining room, or separate level of the MDR, for those who enjoy paying extra luggage fees and dressing up seems to be a reasonable compromise, which would keep everyone happy.

Too many people have cruised on other cruiselines where they allow any old trash to be worn to dinner. They all heard the RCI was a superior cuiseline. Now they bring their low-life standards from the other cruiselines and try to shove them onto RCI. Well, guess what, now RCI has become a common, ordinary cruiseline, no different than the other inferior cruiselines. They may as well just all combine their ships into one fleet. RCI is slowly losing their individuality.

I know there are lots of threads about formal night, when, how many, jeans allowed, etc. My question is how many people would want to go on a cruise that had Formal Night every night?

I am a traditional cruise, even though I never cruised back in the day this was done, but it is one thing I do like about cruising is the formal nights, so was wondering what others thought.

Scott

You'd have an easier time selling out a no-smoking, no cellulite, no beer-belly cruise than you would a cruise requiring formal attire every night. :)

A cruise ship is essentially a floating beach resort....I don't take a suit to the beach (where I am right now BTW) and I don't want to take one on a cruise. It's' time to rise up and stop the nonsense known as formal night on cruise ships! ;)

Andy

I know there are lots of threads about formal night, when, how many, jeans allowed, etc. My question is how many people would want to go on a cruise that had Formal Night every night?

I am a traditional cruise, even though I never cruised back in the day this was done, but it is one thing I do like about cruising is the formal nights, so was wondering what others thought.

Scott

I would not even consider this option.

I do not even take a jacket on cruises these days.

Once the dining becomes worthy of a suit, I will wear one. :)

I have done it all.... Formal every night to shorts on formal night. When we started cruising it was one formal night per cruise. I enjoyed it so much I added a white dinner jacket. My sister was making cheerleading outfits for her daughters and whenever she had exciting material she would make me a vest. There were cruises where I would wear a different vest every evening. I had dozens of vests. Loved doing that. There was a little old German Lady who would get a kick out of guessing what I would be wearing and always enjoyed the talk of the table about my vests.

On the other side we sailed out of LA without our baggage and had a formal night in my shorts. I didn't mind, so it didn't matter. I lived in my bathing suit and shorts until our bags caught up with us in Cabo. After that everything was normal.

I would enjoy it if it was every sea day instead of every night. It's just too hard to try and get back from an excursion extra early to have enough time for everyone to get ready for dinner. With casual nights this is tough, with formal it's near impossible.

If money (for airline fees) were no object, I'd love it. If suits were acceptable and tuxedos not required, DH would not mind it a bit.

I think it would add a certain elegance to dinner and finish the day on a nice note...but then wouldn't we expect better food?

Now, now...don't flame me. Just think about it...think about the last time you went to a restaurant where you had to dress up. Even if it's been a while, you probably remember that the food was gourmet; better than an ordinary restaurant.

I'm a good cook...I can make almost anything, although I have to admit asian/indian cuisine defeats me. If I'm going to get all dolled up, I'm going to want to be served something worth the effort and quite frankly I've not eaten anything on a cruise ship that impressed me since I was a kid on the SS United States. Even in Portafino's, the food was fine...just fine...nothing to remember or gush about.

The other element to an enjoyable and elegant meal is the company. While I agree a bit of "getting to know you" banter is appropriate on the first night, we get tired of answering 20 questions about our personal life. We don't ask them back because other than your first name and maybe where you are from, we really don't care to know.

Especially revolting is the need some people have to share their most "compelling" medical histories, traumas and gory details. We will get up and walk away from the table when this happens.

So...would we dress up each night. Absolutely! ... IF our tablemates had some decent manners and the food was of a finer quality, we'd be delighted.

Too many people have cruised on other cruiselines where they allow any old trash to be worn to dinner. They all heard the RCI was a superior cuiseline. Now they bring their low-life standards from the other cruiselines and try to shove them onto RCI. Well, guess what, now RCI has become a common, ordinary cruiseline, no different than the other inferior cruiselines. They may as well just all combine their ships into one fleet. RCI is slowly losing their individuality.

Now that is an interesting spin; passenger apparel now defines a cruiseline:eek:

And even worse, other passengers low life standards are making RCI inferior...???

Unfortunately, since I have cruised with other lines and the dress code was more relaxed I'm guessing that I fit into your description of a low life that is bringing down the quality of the line.

We'd hate it. Neither my husband nor I enjoy dressing up. We prefer casual. If a cruise line required formal dress every night, we wouldn't cruise with that line.

Absolutely would not book any cruise ship that did such a thing. Never!

My husband won't even book a cruise line that requires a tux for formal attire. He's serious about being retired.

You can dress people up to look pretty but the minute they open their mouths the facade is gone.;):rolleyes:

My question is how many people would want to go on a cruise that had Formal Night every night?

Definitely not me. My gut response to such is 'control freak ****s.'

The one saving grace of formal night for me is that ship photographers have, in my experience on 2 cruises, done an outstanding job of getting good photographs. It's hard to produce photos of me I like, but they did. So to get shots of my wife & I that have an upscale, classy look, and considering I almost never put on a suit otherwise (unless somebody dies, and then they've got to be very close family or the like), it's okay.

But 2 nights on a cruise is enough. I consider suits never formal; have no particular interest in tuxedos.

Richard.

Scott

Years ago, we did cruise on ships that had formal nights every night. At the time it was nice and we were somewhat younger and enjoyed it.

Now, we are much older and it is too much of a hassle for us to pack and drag along more luggage for formal wear.

Plus, The airlines are making it difficult to even bring carry ons on a plane much less suitcases.

We did not do formal wear on our last two cruises on the AOS and loved it. We ate in the Windjammer on formal nights along with many, many other people who also had the same feelings.

We will not be doing formal wear on our next cruises either. We still dress nice, but I would never go in the dining room on formal night without my formal wear.

On the Adventure, I saw ladies in "short" shorts, and men in shorts, almost every night I ate in there for my two weeks on her.

I do not believe you will ever see 7 formal nights ever happen on a RCCL ship.

I'd go for semi-formal every night :) I love to wear cocktail dresses, have enough of them for more than a 7 night cruise, so I'm good to go.

Same here, I have a ton of dresses that don't have a place at home so semi formal on a ship for the sailing would be perfect to me..but I do know that I'm most likely in the minority.

How many threads are you going to post this same rude message on? I love RCI but not sure where you got the impression they are a superior cruisline - they are the most innovative where there ships are concerned but they are still a mass market line just like several others.

This would be easy for guys (take one suit), and not so easy for gals.

This is the part that confounds me, people thinking that you have to pack so much more. You are packing clothes for casual nights, why does a cocktail dress have to take up more space than a pair of pants and a top?

If we had 7 semi formal nights, I'd take 4 dresses (2 of them being LBD's that I can wear more than once) and wear one of the others 1st/last nights. Two pair of shoes...I'd have no more clothes than if I dressed casual 5 nights and semi-formal 2 nights.

I really don't consider formal nights on main stream cruise lines to be anywhere close to formal any longer, it hasn't been in several years. Men simply wear suits, women cocktail dresses and pants outfits...not formal.

Then of course, day wear, I only pack for about 5 days there as well.

Absolutely would not book any cruise ship that did such a thing. Never!

My husband won't even book a cruise line that requires a tux for formal attire. He's serious about being retired.

I agree with your DH. I am retired and refuse to wear a noose around my neck so I go with a sport coat and open collar. If they totally eliminated "formal" night, I would be happy. Pretending was never my thing.

This is the part that confounds me, people thinking that you have to pack so much more. You are packing clothes for casual nights, why does a cocktail dress have to take up more space than a pair of pants and a top?

Did you ever pack a men's suit or tux in a suitcase? If so, you'll know they don't exactly look too nice when they come out. You need an extra bag (garment bag) for those things.

Archived