Wi-fi access in Michael's Club

publicpersona

We're about to embark on our first Celebrity cruise. As we are Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean, we are also Elite on Celebrity. We actually are trying Celebrity because the Elite benefits seem to be as good or better than Diamond Plus. But some questions ..

The benefit of two items pressed and one bag of wash/fold .. is that per stateroom, or per Elite member (both of us are Elite level)?

The description of Michael's Club (below) seems to imply complimentary wi-fi access on Solstice. But since another perq is 90 minutes Internet, I'm not sure that is the case. Is wi-fi complimentary in Michael's Club?

This new lounge will offer a casual coffeehouse-style experience from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., with complimentary espressos, teas and other menu items, a variety of reading materials, and, on Celebrity Solstice and Celebrity Equinox, wi-fi access.

We're about to embark on our first Celebrity cruise. As we are Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean, we are also Elite on Celebrity. We actually are trying Celebrity because the Elite benefits seem to be as good or better than Diamond Plus. But some questions ..

The benefit of two items pressed and one bag of wash/fold .. is that per stateroom, or per Elite member (both of us are Elite level)?

The description of Michael's Club (below) seems to imply complimentary wi-fi access on Solstice. But since another perq is 90 minutes Internet, I'm not sure that is the case. Is wi-fi complimentary in Michael's Club?

This new lounge will offer a casual coffeehouse-style experience from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., with complimentary espressos, teas and other menu items, a variety of reading materials, and, on Celebrity Solstice and Celebrity Equinox, wi-fi access.

They have wi-fi in Michael's but it is not complimentary. You have to use your minutes. You will each get 90 free minutes, but you have to sign up separately using your seapass. If you go down the first day you are on board, you will get an additional 20% minutes in addition to your free 90.

Wi-Fi is pretty much all over the ship on the S-Class, unlike the M-Class where it is very limited.

well, the wording is off -- there is no complimentary wi fi access on any ship. HOWEVER, you DO get 90 minutes per cruiser for being elite, and on S-class ships, you could use it in Michael's Club, or your stateroom or anywhere on the ship you can get a wi-fi signal. (BTW, on M-class ships there are only certain places that have wi-fi, and Michael's Club isn't one of them).

You will each need to go to the Internet/computer room and sign up for whatever package you choose and give them the coupons you will find in your stateroom.

The 90 minutes are per cruiser, and can't be combined. So if one of you runs out of minutes, you can't transfer the unused minutes from the other person's card.

The laundry/pressing benefit is also per cruiser. You will each get a sheet of coupons.

Just a word of caution. I was using "my" free 90 minutes with my user name and password. I got down to about my last 3-4 minutes and began to do some browsing just to use them up and move on to my wife's free 90 minutes.

For some strange reason I was thinking that once my minutes expired I would would automatically lose my connection, then I would move on and log back into the system. Well, it didn't cut my connection off, and I was charged $.65 for the few extra minutes that I used. I didn't find out until much later when I got the bill. :eek:

If you use Outlook to send/receive e-mail, I found that if I logged in, hit the send/receive button, downloaded your e-mail, then immediately logged off, I wasn't charged any minutes at all. You need to do it within the first 30 seconds or so. Worked out many times if all you wanted to do was check your mail. Of course, this won't work for sending/receiving large files.

are the extra minutes given only if you buy additonal ones, or free if you activate your free 90 minutes the first day???

Completely free for Elite members. In fact if you're a big user it could be better than that. The way they do this is when you buy a package for 90 minutes or more they give you a credit for the full cost of the 90 minute package. So if you want to buy more than 90 minutes you can get a larger package with a lower per-minute rate and then get a discount equal to the value of the 90 min purchase. Also - if you go over the 90 minutes I think you're billed for the additional minutes at the 90 minute rate (I think it was $0.59/min or something like that) rather than the non package $0.65/min rate.

Thanks for all the info. I kinda suspected the wording was misleading.

I understand those who wonder about why someone would use Internet connectivity on a cruise. I use it to get my Southwest boarding pass exactly 24 hours prior, and in case I need to gather some information I need while on the cruise. Say, for example, we got rerouted due to weather to a port I've never been to before - I could come back here to CC to research the unfamiliar port. I have been known to post a Facebook status.

I, too, am critical of those who spend hours on the Internet working while on the cruise, but I am even sympathethic to that as I was placed in a position a couple years ago when an rare event occurred the day before I left that absolutely required my expertise. My choice was to stay in touch and answer questions so others can handle it, or not go on the cruise at all. Guess what I chose.

Archived