I'm still confused about the new polciy regarding price drops

DonnaK

Can't comment on the policy before final payment. However, after final payment you are given onboard credit. Recieved one just this morning on our up coming cruise. Dh turned 55 this year. $200.00:D. I was also able to change cabins and catagory for my SIL and husband and they recieved $60.00 obc.

Correct. After final payment, if cruise booked before May 17, OBC will be given. On a cruise we booked in March, after final payment, I noticed a $900 pp price drop for Junior Suites. We called RCI and were given OBC. Received a new Booking Confirmation - Guest Copy showing the OBC.

Sure you did!

And I could really care less if you or if you not tested it (though there is no proof either way by you).

I stated the rules for the poster who asked for it. The rule is clear.

HMMMM. Now who am I going to trust, CWM who joined CC a year ago and has 155 posts or Sue who's been on CC like before I was born:D, with over 20,000 posts and who gave me great advice for my trip to Rome. Sue, thanks for helping me understand that I can still get a price drop, before final booking. I didn't get that before.

Sure you did!

And I could really care less if you or if you not tested it (though there is no proof either way by you).

I stated the rules for the poster who asked for it. The rule is clear.

That was rude and out of line. You need to read your posts before submitting. Sue has been a great source of info for many of us......

No wonder I am so confused...so I guess I'll just wait for the prices to come down, or change cruiselines even though RCI is my favorite.

I know how you feel Donna. I have read the rules and am still not 100%. I have been on the receiving end of some great price drops.

My thing is now can I get $100 obc and balcony discount if I book while on a cruise. They stopped that after I booked my Oasis cruise.

:confused::confused:

I know how you feel Donna. I have read the rules and am still not 100%. I have been on the receiving end of some great price drops.

My thing is now can I get $100 obc and balcony discount if I book while on a cruise. They stopped that after I booked my Oasis cruise.

:confused::confused:

yes, you can

Honestly. Anybody can interpret what they want. I just posted the rules. The rules are clearly written down. And I am sure that Royal can flag reservations just as they did before with the specials for new bookings only where you also were prohibited from canceling and re-booking.

The rules as stated are clear. And I think that was the question in this thread. What everybody thinks is really secondary.

In the stated policy there is no written exclusion of the time prior to the final payment date. The time before final payment date is listed in the same paragraph with just different ways of applying such credit.

If the 48-hour rule would be any different before final payment it most likely would be stated in the Best Price Guarantee policy in form of "Before final payment you can get the lower prices at any time" or "the 48 hour rule does not apply outside final payment" or something to that extend.

I also believe that the intro to the very last paragraph is all telling:

No exclusions when and how the reservation has to be made.

I don't understand how the confusion got started with what I posted in addition to what you posted but I clearly understood your post and agreed completely. I recognized incorrect information from a few other posts as you stated but to each his own. The facts are written in the policy and that is what will be upheld by the cruiseline.

Just an FYI, I haven't read this whole thread, and I am not sure if your debate applies to my situation.

I booked in April of this year for a cruise that sails in 3 days and I just received an OBC due to a price drop and I have been paid in full for a couple months. The rep also offered a refund of the difference, but I am not sure if she could have followed through with that since as I said I am paid in full.

I guess I received a credit b/c I booked before the policy changed? :confused:

Just an FYI, I haven't read this whole thread, and I am not sure if your debate applies to my situation.

I booked in April of this year for a cruise that sails in 3 days and I just received an OBC due to a price drop and I have been paid in full for a couple months. The rep also offered a refund of the difference, but I am not sure if she could have followed through with that since as I said I am paid in full.

I guess I received a credit b/c I booked before the policy changed? :confused:

Yes you booked prior to May 17 when the new policy went into effect. I did as well in Feb and received OBC after final payment date.

Last month, less than a week before my final payment was due, our cruise dropped $150pp. We had originally booked the cruise in June 2010. I called RCI . The rep that I spoke to asked me if I wanted on OBC or a price adjustment.........no problem what so ever!!!!...and I was prepared to cancel and rebook the cruise if needed!!!

I don't know what happens after final payment but there was no problem what so ever before final payment and having booked after May.

When i originally called direct, i was told that if i booked now and the price came down at a later date i would get the lower costing.

Now i have booked through a travel agent, and assume the policy is the same.

In either case, are we as travellers supposed to continously check prices ourselves on the website, OR do we trust someone to tell us of a reduction?

This may be a silly question i know.

When i originally called direct, i was told that if i booked now and the price came down at a later date i would get the lower costing.

Now i have booked through a travel agent, and assume the policy is the same.

In either case, are we as travellers supposed to continously check prices ourselves on the website, OR do we trust someone to tell us of a reduction?

This may be a silly question i know.

In my experience a travel agent has never told me about a price drop. I checked RCI website weekly.

You should check the prices youself. It's pretty easy for a TA to miss a reduction but most do try.

As for the new rules, really they are simple. No price reductions of any kind after final payment. This is the only real difference. Prior to, if you are refused you can cancel and rebook. Simple as that.

Last month, less than a week before my final payment was due, our cruise dropped $150pp. We had originally booked the cruise in June 2010. I called RCI . The rep that I spoke to asked me if I wanted on OBC or a price adjustment.........no problem what so ever!!!!...and I was prepared to cancel and rebook the cruise if needed!!!

I don't know what happens after final payment but there was no problem what so ever before final payment and having booked after May.

And that is exaclty how it is supposed to work.

Thanks for the info everyone -- this thread has been very helpful. Once I realized that we were talking about two different things (the 110% guarantee 48 hour deal and adjustments in price before final payment) that really made everything clear. Thanks again.

one more question about this but i think i know the answer. We booked a cruise in march for this coming november. mom made final payment a couple weeks ago (not sure if checked for a drop at that time). originally she booked 2 outsides and 1 balcony cabins. i checked today and outsides dropped $100 and the balcony dropped $50. she called the online agency she booked through (but her rep wasn't in) and was able to upgrade the 2 outside rooms to guarantee balcony for same price (balcony was now like $2 cheaper than the original outsides she booked). but said she couldnt do anything about the balcony other than upgrade it to a higher level balcony for $20 more.

Is she able to get a refund or OBC for the difference since we booked prior to the policy change? From what i've read here it seems like we should be able to get the price difference on the original balcony but she'll likely just keep her newly upgraded balconies instead of getting the difference in outside code.

one more question about this but i think i know the answer. We booked a cruise in march for this coming november. mom made final payment a couple weeks ago (not sure if checked for a drop at that time). originally she booked 2 outsides and 1 balcony cabins. i checked today and outsides dropped $100 and the balcony dropped $50. she called the online agency she booked through (but her rep wasn't in) and was able to upgrade the 2 outside rooms to guarantee balcony for same price (balcony was now like $2 cheaper than the original outsides she booked). but said she couldnt do anything about the balcony other than upgrade it to a higher level balcony for $20 more.

Is she able to get a refund or OBC for the difference since we booked prior to the policy change? From what i've read here it seems like we should be able to get the price difference on the original balcony but she'll likely just keep her newly upgraded balconies instead of getting the difference in outside code.

Yes if you booked prior to May 17 you should be able to receive the $50 difference for the original balcony in OBC. I booked directly with the cruiseline so your online agency could be preventing you from acquiring the $50 OBC. It seems that some agencies charge a fee for price drops and are reluctant to give reductions/OBC which may be what's occurring in your case but I'm not sure.

As i thought.

But thank you for confirming that!

I will keep checking, although Indy on 6th Aug next year is very busy.

Have noticed even the E grades have increased to near the price of my connecting D1's, weird.

UK bookings are NOT the same as our friends across the pond ..... if we cancel in the UK we lose our deposite!!!!!! Plus I also believe you have to get the price drop within a cetain time ( maybe 48hrs???? )

Archived