New to Oceania - the good, the bad and the excursions

emckeeve

"For anyone who has been to China and Turkey, is the rug demonstration the same? I have been to one in China and we were locked into a tour and the rug factory was in a part of town where there was nothing else to walk to so we were stuck until the shoppers finished their buying."

We have seen the rug demonstration in 6 or 7 countries and they are all the same. DW says you can get the same thing in the US cheaper.

Usually in China they take you to a silk factory where they show you the process of making silk from the worm on before making the sales pitch.

I agree that on a private excursion you can easily forego the shopping part. In Ephesus the guide almost broke out in tears when we refused to go to the rug shop. Too bad.

In China, we were subjected to a tour of the ladies working on scarves, fabrics and rugs. Then a private showing of the rugs, with the forever hovering english speaking salesman. It was interesting, but not too pushy, so we ended up with a small silk carpet.

In Kudashi, we visited the large carpet chain just off the pier area - branch in Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. When carpets started flying in from one side to another, I called a Halt!! And then the comparisons and pricing became less intrusive and more relaxed.

The OP here again. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will head back to my roll call.

As for the rugs . . . we got suckered on one of our trips to Turkey. We kept saying to each other "not gonna buy, not gonna buy, not gonna buy." But, yep, we did. It was probably overpriced, but we love it and have had a few laughs over it, so no harm, no foul.

Thanks everyone. One rug making demonstration is enough for me. We saw rug making, embroidery demonstrations, pottery demonstrations as well as the silk worm demonstration while in China. The silk worm factory was the best demonstration as far as I was concerned.

I have already warned the guides that we do not want to shop that we have booked while on our cruise next May.

We did the rug shop program in Istanbul..and I found a rug that I had to have..the colors were perfect, of course it was 10 feet and there was no way to take that home ..they told us they'd ship it, but I was concerned that it would never make it to my dining room.

Somewhere in the conversation my husband handed the owner his business card and we left ( sans rug)..

Imagine our surprise when 5 months later we got a call from the owner of that rug shop..he was traveling the U.S. in rug shows, just happened to be close to our home and just HAPPENED to have "my rug"..

He came by, and with the aid of chardonnay we negotiated on our own turf..

P.S.

The rug is fabulous !;)

(Oh, I couldn't resist the K thing, sorry)

Just back from the Black Sea Serenade, and took ship's tour to Ephesus with the optional carpet demo at the end. It was *very clearly* optional. We strolled away as the group went in, the ship was within sight and we walked back to it after a super lunch at a local restaurant. This was one place where you really didn't have to shop unless you wanted to.

Donna

WiPro,

Can you email me with some suggested guides for private tour excursions in SE Asia, specifically Thailand (Bangkok), Vietnam (Saigon, Hanoi, Danang).

cjak9088 at yahoo.com. Thank you.

Carol

Carol,

We had a great experience with Andy Tran and can therefore recommend him without reservations:

http://www.andytravel.com.vn/

We used him in Hanoi/Halong Bay, but he is available anywhere in Viet Nam.

Paul

Many, many people adore shopping on vacation. Some even plan their trips around it.

Shopping on one's own on vacation, at stores of one's choice, at a time separate from a tour, OK, but personally, I don't want it built into a tour, nor for the Cruise Company to get a kickback.

Shopping on one's own on vacation, at stores of one's choice, at a time separate from a tour, OK, but personally, I don't want it built into a tour, nor for the Cruise Company to get a kickback.

In theory, many people might feel that way, but realistically speaking, if you're in Kusadasi for twelve hours, and you're with the tour guide for 9, you either shop with him or you don't shop.

NEVER, EVER underestimate the lure of convenience......it has made McDonalds the most successful restaurant in the World! :rolleyes:

If you're in Kusadasi for twelve hours it's highly unlikely that your tour will be more than seven or eight hours. Shopping is plentiful within a five minute walk from the port so plenty of time to do so on one's own.

I should think so. The only advantage I can think of to shopping as part of a tour is if packages are delivered to the motorcoach and then to my stateroom, all without an additional charge or tip.

We have booked our 3rd Oceania cruiise for next year after two very good earlier cruises (Baltic ports and Black Sea). Oceania is not a six star Crystal product but we found it MUCH better than Princess whihc we used lasy year due to a convenient itinerary. We have been very happy with the cabins, food quality, service and ship facilities. We really like the open seating. The automatically added tips can be adjusted. Basically are only criticisms are the ones you have already read about - some disappointing excursions, absence of shuttles. We hope that Oceania representatives read up on cruise critic and adjust accordingly. Go and enjoy!

In theory, many people might feel that way, but realistically speaking, if you're in Kusadasi for twelve hours, and you're with the tour guide for 9, you either shop with him or you don't shop.

:pNot true in this port because of the location of so many shops right outside the port entrance.

We had our private tour for two with guide and driver for seven hours, then we were dropped back off at the port, virulently anti-shopping spouse returned to ship to relax, and I had two hours (without him cooling his heels at the door of any shop rushing me along) to shop blissfully and privately in peace for both jewelry and gorgeous pottery.

• 2 weeks later...

:confused:

pacheco18

I have posted this question before, but never got any feed back! How would you rate Paul Gauguan vs. Oceania. Just took a P G cruise from Fiji to Tahiti ( loved it ), and had to pick either another P G cruise or a Oceania cruise. I signed up for the Marina's first cruise from Miami to San Francisco. Only wish the tips were included like on the P G. Other than that will I be happy on Oceania

John Kuehnle

:confused:

pacheco18

I have posted this question before, but never got any feed back! How would you rate Paul Gauguan vs. Oceania. Just took a P G cruise from Fiji to Tahiti ( loved it ), and had to pick either another P G cruise or a Oceania cruise. I signed up for the Marina's first cruise from Miami to San Francisco. Only wish the tips were included like on the P G. Other than that will I be happy on Oceania

John Kuehnle

There is nothing like the PG - it is a special experience - a ship designed specifically to sail in French Polynesia and a crew totally devoted to that experience. Only 330 passengers max. All inclusive. For that area of the world it is the only ship I would consider -- the experience cannot be replicated. As one poster on the PG boards titled her thread - "Best Cruise Ever. PERIOD." That says it all.

That said, I love O -- and as you see I have two future sailings booked -- Asia and a Transatlantic on the Marina -- and will likely book O again (but not for French Polynesia -- going back on the PG in 2012). O is bigger, but there is more to do. It is more about the ports and less about the ship itself IMO as the ship remains fairly static as the itineraries change. Still smaller size (even Marina is smaller than most), wonderful food (although PG superior) and upscale crowd (no kids!). I actually got tips included through my TA (who books groups). The only downside for O for me is often very few (or no) sea days. The Transatlantic will address that issue.

Hope I answered your question

:)

Thanks for the information. Been to Tahiti twice, In 2000 on the R3 before they went under, liked the size and port intensive cruises. On the P. G. last March only 170 on the ship. Is your Oceania Marina cruise the 1st one over from Spain, or later in the year?

John

:)

Thanks for the information. Been to Tahiti twice, In 2000 on the R3 before they went under, liked the size and port intensive cruises. On the P. G. last March only 170 on the ship. Is your Oceania Marina cruise the 1st one over from Spain, or later in the year?

John

Not the inaugural - November 2011 - Rome to Miami - booked a Penthouse Suite - going to really enjoy the ship.

Archived