Coffee Maker

sunhoney64

Has anyone taken a little 4 cup coffee maker in their luggage lately? I know, I know but I have to have my own coffee :p Last cruise which was 2 years ago, I just packed it in my luggage and nothing was said.

Carnival has really cracked down on these things. You are lucky anymore if you can get a power strip onboard.....I wouldn't want the hassel of having to go to the naughty room to open the bag and have to drag it back to the cabin minus the coffee maker.....

Has anyone taken a little 4 cup coffee maker in their luggage lately? I know, I know but I have to have my own coffee :p Last cruise which was 2 years ago, I just packed it in my luggage and nothing was said.

From the Carnival Restricted Items list:

"RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only)

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

Under the recent more closely checking (last 5-6 months), assume they will take this away and don't even bother bringing it. Either drink the coffee on board or buy the specialty coffee at the coffee bar.

There will be posters here who haven't cruised in over a year who will tell you they brought coffee makers of all sizes on board. But they haven't done so under the latest closer inspections. There will be posters here who will say bring a french press. but if you aren't familiar with its operation and how to effectively dispose of the grounds and clean the press without clogging the pumping, plus obtaining proper temerature hot water, do not attempt this on the ship. You will have a bad cup of coffee full of grounds and make a large mess. It takes practice, patience, and care to properly use a french press.

Carnival has really cracked down on these things. You are lucky anymore if you can get a power strip onboard.....I wouldn't want the hassel of having to go to the naughty room to open the bag and have to drag it back to the cabin minus the coffee maker.....

I agree. Carnival now states they ban all household items.

OP if they take it, you only have yourself to blame as it is against the rules..especially if its electric. You might be ok with a french press type.

One of my best friends and his wife just came off the Dream last month. They packed their little coffee maker, Don't know the brand, but it's one of those little ones that makes 2-3 cups at a time.

No problems at all. Matter of fact, they took a portable iron/steamer, hair driers and a curling iron, too. No issues with either.

I'm not a fan of Carnival's coffee so my daughter just picked up the Starbucks instant coffee for us to use. I have never tried it but I thought....just order hot water and stir....and I'm hoping it's better than the ships coffee. My daughter says it's very good!

I actually think its quite good and have hear of other people bringing those individual packets of starbucks. Im sure its quite expensive, but if you are going to bring your own ...sounds like a great choice.

One of my best friends and his wife just came off the Dream last month. They packed their little coffee maker, Don't know the brand, but it's one of those little ones that makes 2-3 cups at a time.

No problems at all. Matter of fact, they took a portable iron/steamer, hair driers and a curling iron, too. No issues with either.

As was pointed out on a PP.......there are going to be people who have gotten away with this, but I cruise 3 or 4 times a year and Carnival has really ramped up their inspections and confiscations.......not saying nothing ever gets through....just don't want the OP coming back on here whining about getting it confiscated because that's the most likely outcome.

"Anticipate the worst and everything else is a pleasant surprise"

OP, I feel your pain. I am a 2 pot a morning person and after joining CC this was one of the first questions that I asked. The best advice that I received was to leave the coffee maker at home and order 2 carafes of coffee each morning via room service. You place the card outside of the cabin and can indicate what time you would like it delivered. I was also advised to make sure and request sugar, creamer, Splenda etc... as it does not normally come on the tray unless requested.

Wish you the best. :)

Why do you think Carnival bans certain things? FIRE DANGER. So leave the coffee makers home, and any item on their list, regardless of how you feel, the other passengers will appreciate it.

Starbucks coffee packs around $1 each. There are other companys that have them too. Folgers come 6 for $1.50. There are many instant coffees out there. Just order hot water or go to the Lido deck for hot water.

Enjoy

Starbucks coffee packs around $1 each. There are other companys that have them too. Folgers come 6 for $1.50. There are many instant coffees out there. Just order hot water or go to the Lido deck for hot water.

Enjoy

Starbucks is the only one that tastes like brewed!!! If Im going to drink Folgers instant ... Im going to the buffet and grab a cup of Carnival's coffee.

We buy the Starbucks instant stuff at Costco - it's a significant savings over the cost of buying it at the grocery store or at Starbucks. It's not bad stuff, we drink it in the mornings when we are too busy to stop and make a pot of coffee. I would recommend taking that and ordering a pot of hot water from room service. That's what we intend to do.

I am not an instant coffee fan but I do like the Starbucks packets. I don't take it with me on cruises cause it's to easy to walk down to the coffee bar and get a cup of coffee. A regular is $1.53. Tastes like home brewed to me. Not quite as strong as Starbucks but it is good coffee.

I hate the coffee they have in hotel rooms so i take my little containers of creamer, a little sugar and my starbuacks when I am staying at a hotel.

I take mine on Costa, this time with HAL, will pack it half in my case and half in his. Just to be sure.

It is designet for use when travelling, it is fire proof (it does not warm exteriorly) and I cannot stay in Honolulu for a whole week before cruise without espresso coffee.

and put all the rest of us at risk of a fire? Thanks that nothing bad happened that time.

The coffee on the deck is not instant. You can have coffee delivered to your cabin anytime you want. I prefer that to making it myself. :) You can bring your small coffee pot. You are risking having it broken or confiscated.:eek: I have found the less I carry on to the ship the more fun I have. :cool:

I plan on bringing about a pound of coffee with me and my French Press, since you can literally get a pot of hot water delivered to your room, it should be easy enough to make some coffee.

The only thing I would caution others about is to make sure you dump the grounds out in the *trash* and not into the *sink*, since they would almost certainly wreak havoc with their plumbing system.

We buy the Starbucks instant stuff at Costco - it's a significant savings over the cost of buying it at the grocery store or at Starbucks. It's not bad stuff, we drink it in the mornings when we are too busy to stop and make a pot of coffee. I would recommend taking that and ordering a pot of hot water from room service. That's what we intend to do.

Sometime this fall, Starbucks is introducing flavored coffees in their VIA line. Not sure which flavors, but I recall mocha and vanilla were two that were announced. For those of you who like flavored coffee, but don't like the flavored creamer packs, this may be an option as well. When they will be available at Costco or other stores besides the Starbucks shops I don't know. Most likely the underlying coffee will be the Columbian roast that Via has now.

and put all the rest of us at risk of a fire? Thanks that nothing bad happened that time.

Seriously? My 2-3 coffee maker says 750 watts on in. My DW uses a 2000 watt hair blower.

Carnival wishes to limit electrical use for various reasons. IMHO they accomplish this

by limiting electrical outlets in the cabins and that is why they don't want extension cords.

I am not saying Carnival shouldn't limit elec, app's only that it's alarmist to say someone

"put all the rest of us at risk of a fire" by using a mini coffee maker.

Lets not be extreme!

Archived