Happy Jewish New Year- Shana Tova!

rothjer

L'Shana Tova to all!

Made one grandma's Honey Cake and the other Grandma's brisket today!

LOL!!!

Although im thoroughly STUFFED with brisket and honey cake, and all the other delicacies, I gotta say, I can't wait for a brisket and honey cake sammie tomorrow after shul! I know it sounds gross, but it's a family tradition, and it's actually delish!

Although im thoroughly STUFFED with brisket and honey cake, and all the other delicacies, I gotta say, I can't wait for a brisket and honey cake sammie tomorrow after shul! I know it sounds gross, but it's a family tradition, and it's actually delish!

What could be bad? :p

I believe it was you, jerRoth (or RothJer?) who began this thread and it is beautiful. Leesie6351 and oh2cruise are praying for the most important. Scf1270 is carrying on beautiful traditions.

And HAM, what a great laugh you gave us all. I'm also in Tampa. Do I know you?

Roth Jer, is the honey cake used instead of the bread, and the brisket is, well, the brisket, in the sammich???

May you all be inscribed for all things good, dear Cruise Critic friends, and a special thanks to the non-Jews who took the time to post, also.

--May

I believe it was you, jerRoth (or RothJer?) who began this thread and it is beautiful. Leesie6351 and oh2cruise are praying for the most important. Scf1270 is carrying on beautiful traditions.

And HAM, what a great laugh you gave us all. I'm also in Tampa. Do I know you?

Roth Jer, is the honey cake used instead of the bread, and the brisket is, well, the brisket, in the sammich???

May you all be inscribed for all things good, dear Cruise Critic friends, and a special thanks to the non-Jews who took the time to post, also.

--May

YEAH! Honey cake is the bread !!! Usually, mom will even make a loaf a little less sweet, and we enjoy it with that one. But anything will do!

Not a Member of the Tribe, but if I may I'd like to send out my best wishes.

I'll keep it as generic as I can, but as a spectator, one can only examine the hardships and challenges that have been tossed at a people, and contrast those challenges with the colossal achievements of those very people.....and have nothing but respect.

I'll keep it as generic as I can, but as a spectator, one can only examine the hardships and challenges that have been tossed at a people, and contrast those challenges with the colossal achievements of those very people.....and have nothing but respect.

Thank you!

Our favorite Jewish Holiday tutorial is this:

They tried to kill us.

We won.

Let's eat.

Sara

Shana Tova to our friends at Cruise Critic! May the year be filled with happiness, prosperity, and most important health! For those of you in shul today I hope you enjoyed the sweet sound of the shofar. This certainly is a noce thread, and all of the New Year's wishes are much appreciated. Be well, friends!

I also say thank you!! I was touched by your words.

Happy New Year to you too. Wasn't aware there were more than 5 continents, perhaps you can enlighten me.

I also have just one to go but that's counting the 5 that I know:

Africa, Asia, Americas, Australasia, & Europe.

Shana Tova

L'Shana Tova to all!

Made one grandma's Honey Cake and the other Grandma's brisket today!

LOL!!!

Could you please give me the recipe of your honey cake ?I'm still looking for one !!!

All the best for a HEALTHY happy year with loads of cruising to enjoy

May your homes and life find peace and satisfaction in everything you do and may this year be filled with only happy memories

Michele

Happy New Year to you too. Wasn't aware there were more than 5 continents, perhaps you can enlighten me.

I also have just one to go but that's counting the 5 that I know:

Africa, Asia, Americas, Australasia, & Europe.

Shana Tova

Depending on the classification system you are using, there can be as many as 7 continents: North America, South America,Antartica, Africa, Europe, Asia and Australia.

Some systems place NA and SA together and combine Europe and Asia into Eurasia.

No matter what continent you're on, have a happy and joyous New Year.

Could you please give me the recipe of your honey cake ?I'm still looking for one !!!

All the best for a HEALTHY happy year with loads of cruising to enjoy

May your homes and life find peace and satisfaction in everything you do and may this year be filled with only happy memories

Michele

Sorry, I cannot share with you the family recipe, its been passed down for 4 generations believe it or not! My mom won't pass it down to my fiance and I until we are married! It is delicious, but there are MANY other goods ones. Try Bella's Honeycake recipe" link is below, its delicious, soft and sticky on top. One of the best i've made, it's not fool-proof but here are some additions and tips ill add at the end.

http://www.homemakers.com/food-and-recipes/bella-s-honey-cake/r/7934

by the Jewish Women International of Canada

"This cake has been passed down through the generations - I used to watch my mother make this cake, and that's how I learned to make it," says Bella Tatoff, who contributed the recipe to the book. If you like, you can substitute brandy for the whisky. As well, lining the pan with parchment paper makes it easy to remove the cake.

Ingredients

1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar 3 eggs, separated 1 cup (250 mL) liquid honey 1 peeled grated apple 1 cup (250 mL) raisins 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda 1/4 cup (60 mL) whisky or apple juice 1 seeded grated orange, including rind 1 seeded grated lemon, including rind 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts

Preparation

In large bowl, combine oil, sugar and egg yolks; mix well. Stir in honey and apple. Combine raisins with ½ cup (125 mL) of the flour; stir into batter.

Sift remaining flour with baking powder and baking soda. Add to batter in two additions, stirring well after each one. Stir whisky, grated orange and lemon, and nuts into batter.

Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter. Pour into greased 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) baking pan; bake in 325°F (160°C) oven for 1 hour.

Rothjer's notes:

1. I add 1 cup chopped dates with one cup boiling water, use chopping blade and make into puree, add this into the mix once you mix together all the ingredients (with the nuts)-this is the key to a good, moist, and delicious honey cake, try and get the best you can, typically , they are in season now.

2. I use a food processor for this recipe, I use the chopping blade for the dates, then rinse, then use chopping blade for, eggs, sugar, oil, apple (which I grated earlier also in the processor) and then switch to the paddle (mixing blade) for the rest. Once done with the dry ingredients, i clean out well, dry completly and then use the chopping blade to beat my whites (use a couple teaspoons of white vinegar for nice whites). Mix in well with batter, don't be afraid to mix well, you don't need to be so gentle

3. I use a mix of nuts; walnuts, peacans and hazelnuts

4. I mix the applejuice with the baking soda and powder and stir well, it incorporates easier and you don't risk it messing with the taste of the cake. Use a good quality applejuice, with good flavor.

5. I use 2 bread loaf tins for each batch of batter I make

6. I omit the raisins and peels, sometimes I add it in for a little wow factor, but its so much tastier IMO when its just plain honey flavored.

try it out, its really good !

Your message was sweet and touching..thank you.

Isn't it heart-warming that JediKnight, whose posts I have enjoyed when finding them on other threads, makes me feel so good, here. May the force be with YOU, Mr. Knight.

HAM, I have been in that Publix, but not for several years. My friend in Westchase (he lived in two diff. houses there) moved away about two years ago.

And to all the rest of you, thank you all for wonderful posts.

--May

I was sailing on Rosh Hashana and although I haven't practiced in

years I also want to send out Happy New Year wishes to ya'll.

I didn't even realize tonite is Yom Kippur....

A Happy, Healthy and Sweet New Year to everyone.

Thank you for your kind words and understanding! We all need a safe and peaceful year no matter what our beliefs are.

Safe sail and a peaceful life!

Archived