Pacific Jewel Review - Beware LONG!

Debsta

Great review!

Can tell it was a really honest and balanced review as unlike some reviews out there you still managed to see the good things they did for you :)

I sure hope you let them know on the survey form at the end that their food and dining room service was crap, that way they know what needs work for us people going on in the future haha

I sure hope you let them know on the survey form at the end that their food and dining room service was crap, that way they know what needs work for us people going on in the future haha

Do P&O do that? I didn't get one with them when I sailed.

Hi Deb,

We were on the same cruise. You might have seen my elderly mother lost around the ship. I agree with all your comments. We have done 10 cruises and I think the standard of the food services has gone downhill heaps. But all in all an enjoyable time. We do need some more passenger entertainment areas though. Captain Turnball was a real character and I gave my favorite staff member vote to him. In all my cruises never has a Captain interacted with the passengers like him. They are usually above us, Or think they are. Ready to book my next cruise.

Lorry and Mary

Do P&O do that? I didn't get one with them when I sailed.

Both the cruises I've been on this year they did. And to encourage passengers to fill them in they draw one of the surveys out of the box to win a prize. They assured us they read every one and take it all on board. Obviously they can't do everything - eg they haven't turned down the LOUD music on Lido Deck :eek::eek::eek:

They also have forms to fill in for staff who have made a difference to your holiday. (I also did one for Capt. Turnbull as well as our cabin steward and table waiters.)

. Captain Turnball was a real character and I gave my favorite staff member vote to him. In all my cruises never has a Captain interacted with the passengers like him. They are usually above us, Or think they are. Ready to book my next cruise.

Lorry and Mary

We loved Captain Lorenzo Paoletti (sp??) and we were hpoing to havin on our next cruise but after reading about Captain Turnbull, I'd like to see what he's like. Did he mention when he was getting off? We are on the Jewel's next two cruises.

I can't remember when he was getting off but he is sharing the Dawn with the captain . In an interview with Captain Turnball he said they have 3months on and three months off. By the way if you get to see him and he gives the interview, go and see it . It is great entertainment. Zoltina asked questions and he gave very funny answers. Also gave an insight into the life of a seaman. Followed by a very funny video.

Just a couple of personal observations re the Dawn Princess...regular Princess cruisers often call Dawn and Sun Princess "princess lite" i.e. the Princess you have when you are not having princess..why? Because you really can't compare the Australian based Princess ships with the US based ones. I am not saying they are bad just very different...regarding the "horror court" that comment was made by a world cruiser referring to the latter stages of the world cruise...before then they were complimentary about the food until right at the end. In six weeks on the Dawn Princess I thought the food was generally good..however the Horizon Court is very very crowded as is the ship generally...could be something to do with the extra bunks put in for the Australian market..pushing the passenger count up and making all the public areas on the ship packed to capacity.

'Princess lite' good description, I experienced 'Princess lite' around OZ on Sun Princess in 2008. Just not to the standard of overseas cruising as on the 'American Princess ships.'

Thanks heaps for the review Deb, I'm going on the Jewel Oct 19. I have been reading all the forums for a while now and as this will be my first cruise, it was great to read a balanced review from a positive person, as some of the others have really concerned me they have been so dreadful. couple made me think I should cancel.

I know I will be a bit disappointed if the food is that bad, I have been dieting really severely in preparation for this cruise, (have a sneaking feeling it might be the time the question is finally popped). So can anyone tell me if you are able to get "No fat" or "low fat" milk on board? I was planning to still only eat once a day (evening meal) and taking my diet powder for breakfast and lunch.

Thanks heaps for the review Deb, I'm going on the Jewel Oct 19. I have been reading all the forums for a while now and as this will be my first cruise, it was great to read a balanced review from a positive person, as some of the others have really concerned me they have been so dreadful. couple made me think I should cancel.

I know I will be a bit disappointed if the food is that bad, I have been dieting really severely in preparation for this cruise, (have a sneaking feeling it might be the time the question is finally popped). So can anyone tell me if you are able to get "No fat" or "low fat" milk on board? I was planning to still only eat once a day (evening meal) and taking my diet powder for breakfast and lunch.

They have skim milk in the buffet area and I assume you can have skim milk in tea or coffee in the dining room also.

We have usually found the food to be excellent on all the P & O ships we have travelled on although there have been a few meals that weren't to the usual standard. By the way, our last cruise was only a couple of months ago. Other passengers we have talked to have also been very happy with the food. The only generally negative comments I have come across have been on this forum. I am simply stating a fact here, and do not mean any criticism of anyone in particular.

I suggest you have more than just one meal a day. Why not have at least a salad for lunch? You can order one without dressing if you wish. Then you can enjoy the dining experience with your partner.

Good suggestions Aus T. We mostly ate lunch in the buffet on the Pac Dawn so that we could choose healthy salads. Always plenty of choice, with crisp lettuce plus lovely fruit such as honeydew and cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple etc. There are salad dressings, but separate, not added to the salad. You just make your own choices from what you see.

Fairlea, just enjoy your cruise and make up your own mind. If you are swayed by other people's experiences, you will not enjoy the anticipation of it, which is half the fun. Then, if the food isn't as good as you would like - think positively - you won't put on too much weight! :D:D:D

I suggest you have more than just one meal a day. Why not have at least a salad for lunch? You can order one without dressing if you wish. Then you can enjoy the dining experience with your partner.

I agree with Aus Traveller :) You've already paid, just be careful with portion sizes :) Plus getting a nice healthy holiday glow always makes it look like you've lost 5kgs :p

yes skim milk at all dinning area's, as for food you can eat as much as you like or as little as you like . you can just about eat some where on the ship from 6.ooam till 10 pm and then there is other food you can bye after that.

there is a very nice gym on the ship and spa and hot room, and if you inclined they have a running track. good luck and enjoy your cruise.:D

It's very, very strange, but I've been reading the blogs and they call the Horizon Court on Dawn Princess, Horror Court, and people were complaining bitterly about the food. Must be two standards.

Fact is we all have our likes and dislikes, but I can recommend finding table waiters you like and building up a rapport with them. We have had great service doing that.

Fantastic read Deb, thanks for sharing. I wonder how you got the extra perks...who cares, you got them and thats all that matters :)

Sandy, i had no complaints with the food court on Dawn Princess, its a little oddly laid out, but i found the food always nice and fresh...as you say each to their own i suppose.....

Thanks again for a really enjoyable read :)

Sandy, i had no complaints with the food court on Dawn Princess, its a little oddly laid out, but i found the food always nice and fresh...as you say each to their own............

That's good to hear Jas. I don't have any complaints of my ONE meal on the Dawn Princess, last Sunday, either. In fact, it was

SCRUMPTIOUS! loves-chocolate-51.gif

yes skim milk at all dinning area's, as for food you can eat as much as you like or as little as you like . you can just about eat some where on the ship from 6.ooam till 10 pm and then there is other food you can bye after that.

there is a very nice gym on the ship and spa and hot room, and if you inclined they have a running track. good luck and enjoy your cruise.:D

Thanks for all the advice, despite some negative reviews Im still really looking forward to it. (bit of a glass half full person anyway) Great to know they have skim milk so I can mix my diet drink up some days. My partner would rather I lost weight than ate with him, so Im sure he will find other company during those times. I plan to hit the gym and track even harder and hopefully come home even lighter.

By the way I love the forums, they are certainly adding to my anticipation and I read a little nearly everyday (well Im supposed to be working and reading here and getting excited about cruising is a heck of a lot more fun than that anyway)

Great review, we are going on the Jewel on the 30th Sept. We fly over from Perth on the 27th we've got a 3 night stay in Darling Harbour and are really hanging out now!

I know you must be fed up typing by now but what was the outcome re the stabilizers, are they working?

Also how easy is it to book a table in the Salt Grill?

Again thanks,

Paul

Great review, we are going on the Jewel on the 30th Sept. We fly over from Perth on the 27th we've got a 3 night stay in Darling Harbour and are really hanging out now!

I know you must be fed up typing by now but what was the outcome re the stabilizers, are they working?

Again thanks,

Paul

We are on that cruise too (and the one before it). Who are you traveilling with?

Again thanks,

Paul

Hey Paul

I believe they are working fine and dandy :D Although those rough few days, others may disagree :p

We booked the Salt Grill as soon as we boarded for the first cocktail night. If chopper62 comes along he ate there a couple of times so he might have some more advice re to the booking out of Salt.

We are on that cruise too (and the one before it). Who are you traveilling with?

My wife , Jackie, my two boys and myself are traveling from Perth. We have 2 people from Mandurah WA, we have 2 from Tassy and 4 from the central coast.

We are all old friends from the old country, apart from one aussie.

Paul

Hey Paul

I believe they are working fine and dandy :D Although those rough few days, others may disagree :p

We booked the Salt Grill as soon as we boarded for the first cocktail night. If chopper62 comes along he ate there a couple of times so he might have some more advice re to the booking out of Salt.

Thanks, my wife Jackie will be glad the stabilizers are working. It doesn't bother me because usually after a few vino callapsos I don't notice.

Paul

Interesting to read the reviews of the Jewel. We came off this morning after a rather interesting trip. Weather prevented the Norfolk Stop but had an unexpected night visit to Villa put in. As a former resident of Norfolk it was not unexpected.

Our first trip on the Jewel and in general I would sail on it again. We ran into 12 passengers we knew from the Dawn Tahiti cruise last year, and a lot of the crew from Dawn.

Yes there are a few let downs if you are a veteran cruiser, but in talking to first time cruisers on board they all had a great trip. After 50 years of cruising I treat each one as a new experience and just dont bother to compare to any other cruise or ship. I have cruised on the biggest to small island traders and each one has its own attractions.

:):):)

Interesting review Debsta. We got off the Jewel yesterday. I share most of your sentiments, will post my review later. The food is below par, dining room staff clearly under resourced. We spent far too long waiting for luke warm meals. However, we thoroughly enjoyed & recommend the Salt Grill. La Luna was a waste of money, horrible food in our eyes.

This will be our last P&O cruise for a number of reasons which will come out in my review, we are jumping across to Princess or Royal Carribean.

Captin Turnball got off in Suva to have a vacation at home, Captain Lorenzo(?) took over. What a funny man, his virtual bridge tour was fascinating. He is very popular with the crew.

Archived