Food at Port

mlfallis

Ok, I know that taking food off the ship is a huge No-no but is that only to food that is not in packages?

When we are travelling we will have an 18 month old with us so I would like to take a couple of snacks in a bag for him while on shore. I am thinking small cups of apple sauce, little boxes of cereal, small bags of pretzels, etc. All would be in the packaging from the manufacture. Do you think this is ok?

TIA

What ports?

Usually you are able to walk off the ship without anyone looking in your bag to see what you are carrying off.

:cool:Have never been checked going off ship. Go to Windjammer and pack a picnic If you wish. I guarantee the food on the ship is going to be safer than what you might find in some ports.:cool: Coming back with food is a different matter

sailawayjack[/left];25989408]:cool:Have never been checked going off ship. Go to Windjammer and pack a picnic I you wish. I guarantee the food on the ship is going to be safer than what you might find in some ports.:cool: Coming back with food is a different matter

Another person who thinks that laws are not meant for them. :rolleyes:

Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it right ... and I assume you are not in politics, so you have no authority to change the law just because you do not agree with it.

It may seem like a trivial law ... but where will it end?

BTW, it even tells you in the Compass not to do it.

Ok, I know that taking food off the ship is a huge No-no but is that only to food that is not in packages?

When we are travelling we will have an 18 month old with us so I would like to take a couple of snacks in a bag for him while on shore. I am thinking small cups of apple sauce, little boxes of cereal, small bags of pretzels, etc. All would be in the packaging from the manufacture. Do you think this is ok?

TIA

I think it will be fine, especially for a baby! I would not take anything which is not wrapped in its original wrapper!

Have fun :-)

FYI it is ILLEGAL to bring fresh foods (i.e. fruit, meat, vegetables and dairy) into nearly every country without declaring them and having them approved by local authorities. This is not a ship rule, but a law of the country you are visiting. While bringing an apple off the ship may not seem like a big deal to you, countries have these agricultural laws to protect their crops and if caught you are looking at the possiblity of a very large fine (in some cases well over $1,000).

:cool:Have never been checked going off ship. Go to Windjammer and pack a picnic If you wish. I guarantee the food on the ship is going to be safer than what you might find in some ports.:cool: Coming back with food is a different matter

we have been checked several times and there is always a trash can visible with all kinds of ship food in it.

Packing a picnic to take off the ship is strictly prohibited and your daily Cruise Compass will state that restriction and you are likely to see a sign to that effect as you are exiting the ship. I have seen ship's personnel confiscate fresh fruit from passengers getting off in Cozumel, and Bermudan officials checking out bags and backpacks for prohibited items at the Dockyard. Those prohibitions are there for very good reasons and trying to circumvent them is really irresponsible. Ask residents of Florida, California or other locations what has resulted when the prohibitions have been ignored. Perhaps you remember the Med fly.

If you are found taking forbidden items off the ship you are subject not only to having the items confiscated but you can also be subject to substantial fines. You are a guest in a foreign port. Please abide by their rules, for all our sakes.

Archived