Embassy Suite 17th street

huny322

This particular ES is an older property, and there are parts of it that look dated, which is different than dingy. Over the past few years various parts of the hotel have been updated (most notably the atrium area) and I'm guessing they'll be getting around to the guest rooms eventually.

I've tried staying at different hotels and locations in and around Ft. Lauderdale, and honestly, I haven't found a hotel that works better for me than the ES on 17th. It's within walking distance of several stores for last minute purchases (i.e. Walgreen's, Publix, Total Wine, etc.) and there are choice of nearby restaurants in different price ranges. I can walk to the water taxi stop and get my nails done for $15 at the Nail Port. In the morning I don't have to go outside the hotel for breakfast and the manager's reception is a nice way to socialize in the evening and "talk cruise" with other cruisers.

Roz

I've stayed there 4 times in 2 years .

Since I book pretty far out I get a decent rate. When you add in the free breakfast and cocktails it becomes cheaper than some of the value hotels.

That said, the hotel is super busy... which leads to tired rooms and issues. The room is clean enough but not as spotless as the room we had at Hyatt Place next door.

It's close to tons of stores and restaurants and it seems as if a Uber or Lyft is always seconds away.

I really like the pool, it's very nice and even during busy season I can find a place to sit.

Because it's filled with cruisers people tend to be friendly that stay here.

They have a paid shuttle to port.. it's cheaper to go on your own by Uber or taxi if you are a party of two .

The room size is nice! I like the fact there is a separate vanity area with sink .. and the bar area too. We are three traveling females so everyone gets their own beautifying spot.

The only issue I had was during the last stay an intern checked me in and my room wasn't ready.. and she never turned on text notifications for me. Come to find out a room was ready for me 30 minutes after check in. This was after I finally stood in line, again, to find out what the deal was. Next time I'm making sure I check in with one of the employees that have been there awhile .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also wanted to add that ES is my first choice when booking.

I do look at other hotels ( especially Riverside) and then I factor in breakfast x 3 and cocktails x 3 x 6 ( we are dunkards.. lol) and every time I do better to choose ES.

I'm picky but not obsessed with faded decor or tired furnishings. What I am obsessed with is insuring value for dollar spent.

And I'm totally stoked that my Feb 2017 room today is over $50 more a night from when I reserved.

Edited by IndyDenise

It seems that the ES and Hyatt Place on 17th are the two most talked about places to stay on this board.

We have stayed at the Hyatt many times but never the ES.

Next April we are staying the night before at the Hyatt and the day/night after the cruise at ES.

It will be fun to compare the two. We are paying the same rate at both.

Does ES let you check in early?

Or hold your luggage for you until your room is ready?

It seems that the ES and Hyatt Place on 17th are the two most talked about places to stay on this board.

Next April we are staying the night before at the Hyatt and the day/night after the cruise at ES.

That's because people are creatures of habit and they do what works for them over and over and over again, so that is all they know. There are several other hotels on or near 17th Street that never get mentioned such as the absolute closest location to the port entrance, Holiday Inn Express or Extended Stay America. Then there are dozens of great hotels in great locations around the port area, but people are too set in their ways to try them or even suggest them.

I also wanted to add that ES is my first choice when booking.

I do look at other hotels ( especially Riverside) and then I factor in breakfast x 3 and cocktails x 3 x 6 ( we are dunkards.. lol) and every time I do better to choose ES.

LOL!! Yes, we like the Embassy for just that reason in other cities.

Janet, please try somewhere else for your post cruise stay other than 17th Street. Fort Lauderdale is a beautiful city with so many amazing things going on and 17th Street is a busy, ugly, industrial street.

I would highly recommend in the same price range:

Bahia Mar

Courtyard Marriott FLL Beach

Sonesta

Doubletree Gallery One

The Riverside Hotel

I can understand wanting to stay there pre cruise but post cruise it is such a waste of your time and money.

Thank you. :)

Being the beginning of April, prices are pretty high. I checked the pricing on the hotels you did list.

We are just planning on hanging poolside, or hopping on the water taxi.

We have been to FLL many times, often staying at our friends condo.

I would never suggest a place that I've never stayed at .. and why not stick with what works?

In August I stayed at both ES and Hyatt Place. I liked the sedate feel of HP better but missed the nice breakfast and cocktails...and pool of ES. But I liked the employees, cleanliness, newness of HP much more than ES.

That said I would never pay $300 a night for ES unless all decent area hotels were the same price.

I also think Extended Stay America's are dicey. I have never heard anyone that I know that stayed at one have good things to say. I also avoid Days Inns, Rodeway Inns, Ramada, and Motel 6 for the same reason .

To be fair, I've not heard ANYTHING about the FL Extended Stay.

Edited by IndyDenise

Recently stayed pre-cruise at the ES. Good hotel and nice rooms. Staff was friendly and helpful and the location was tops.

We liked the Mgrs cocktail party and free breakfast. Several restaurants and Total Wine within easy walking distance. We Ubered it into Los Olas Blvd for about $6 each way.

Edited by stones902

HP has a great staff and we never had any issues. Getting n later in the day, it works for us.

After the cruise, the pool at ES, and the managers party looks good.

Just relaxing after a week of relaxing :) before our flight home the next day.

Why don't you change your reservation to two beds? That will give you 5 sleeping spots ( the couch pullout isn't that large so I'm counting it as one spot)

Woola! Problem solved.

Except their two beds are doubles, not queens. Which is so tiny for my husband and I! And also leaves a kid sleeping in the room with us...much rather have a rollaway put out in the other room! ;)

Except their two beds are doubles, not queens. Which is so tiny for my husband and I! And also leaves a kid sleeping in the room with us...much rather have a rollaway put out in the other room! ;)

Hopefully one of them won't have to use the bathroom at the wrong time[emoji23][emoji33]

Let them know that the restrooms by the lobby are very nice!