Saltfree menu?

ninkb

Tried searching, but got responses about "free" weights and "salt" water, so I ask the indulgence of those who know better search techniques than I . . . what is the procedure for selecting salt free meals while on board?

I know that some pax get a dinner menu the day before a meal will be served so they can choose an appropriate option. Is this the case for salt free?

What happens for lunch or breakfast? And what happens with Open dining?

CC always has the answers . . . so I look forward to hearing your suggestions. Thanks for your input!!!!

I would suggest getting information form HAL directly. On the HAL site:

Special dietary needs, such as vegetarian, diabetic or gluten-free meals, are easily accommodated with advance requests. Kosher meals and a Health Conscious Dining option are also available. To arrange special meals, please contact the Ship Services Department at 800-541-1576 at least 90 days prior to departure.

and:

Food Allergy Information

For guests with food intolerances or allergies that are not life-threatening, please contact our Ship Services Department at (800) 541-1576. For guests with life-threatening food allergies, we ask that guests provide detailed information to our Access & Compliance Department by completing a Special Requirements Information (SRI) Form. Guests should indicate on this form which foods may potentially cause a severe reaction.

Thanks, Mary Ellen, for suggesting Ship Services. I just tried to call, but of course, they're closed for the weekend. I will try again on Monday and hope that they can help, even though we are closer than 90 days to sailing. DH just realized this might be an issue . . . after eating a restaurant meal last night and having a problem with some swelling in a wrist that is under a doctor's care.

You do have to let the know ahead of time but I don't think it is too late for you.

I did this once and hope you have better success than I did - they bring the menu for the next night so you can choose - but, the best seemed to be salt free vegetables - though they add salted butter to them which kind of cancelled out the salt free.

The big problem is the sauces that are put on everything - they contain a lot of salt. I tried things without the sauce and they were so unpalatable I just gave up and ordered baked potato every night and a plate of crudites at the beginning of the meal which took the place of cooked vegies. Then I ordered grilled chicken breast plain or salmon and scraped the sauce off.

I do wonder how much sodium there is in the water on the ship - does anyone know?

You do have to let the know ahead of time but I don't think it is too late for you.

I did this once and hope you have better success than I did - they bring the menu for the next night so you can choose - but, the best seemed to be salt free vegetables - though they add salted butter to them which kind of cancelled out the salt free.

The big problem is the sauces that are put on everything - they contain a lot of salt. I tried things without the sauce and they were so unpalatable I just gave up and ordered baked potato every night and a plate of crudites at the beginning of the meal which took the place of cooked vegies. Then I ordered grilled chicken breast plain or salmon and scraped the sauce off.

I do wonder how much sodium there is in the water on the ship - does anyone know?

Ships water is thoroughly desalinated -- generally more free of mineral contaminants than many municipal systems - and virtually all bottled products. No worry there.

I have always had success requesting salt-free (probably extremely low-sodium to be more accurate) meals. You do have to go without the sauces - which is too bad , because many dishes, as you noted, can be bland when served plain. However grilled steak (when ordered rare), chicken, and salmon have always been pretty good.

I have to wonder the same thing. I know the water is frequently desalinated, and I can't taste salt in the water I drink, but I end up retaining fluid to a terrible extent while cruising. It's less of a problem in cooler climes than hot ones, but it is still quite noticeable.

I double up on diuretics, and even use compression stockings, but they only help, and don't eliminate the problem.

The first two days home I lose the problem quickly, so I know it has something to do with the ship.

I doubt it's the water -- so much of the food is over-salted unless you clearly specify otherwise, that just a few snacks (HAL's chocolate cookies are great - but actually contain a lot of salt) can put you over the top.

I also suspect (from certain not-too-subtle comments) that someone with a general fondness for chocolate also picks up a fair dose from those little pillow gifts.

I also suspect (from certain not-too-subtle comments) that someone with a general fondness for chocolate also picks up a fair dose from those little pillow gifts.

All of which (plus a few extra) go home with me. Where they don't cause any fluid retention, btw. So that's not it.

If you need a totally Salt Free diet you will probably have to provide HAL with a very specific list of what you can eat and how it should be prepared. You should be able to find suitable items in the Lido buffet but your choices will probably be limited. However, if you are already on a No/Lo Salt diet you will no doubt be famililar with limited choices :(

I agree Ruth - I have no problem with puffy ankles at home but always on the ship.

I read that the salad dressings are loaded with salt so started using only oil and vinegar and do think it made a difference - that plus eating the raw veggies instead of cooked.

When they are bad I lie down with 2 or 3 pillows under my feet to elevate them and that really helps - picked up that tip in the infirmary where they have a sheet on swollen ankles - so it must be common onboard.

When they are bad I lie down with 2 or 3 pillows under my feet to elevate them and that really helps - picked up that tip in the infirmary where they have a sheet on swollen ankles - so it must be common onboard.

Oh, I think it is common. I also have to wonder if breathing the salt air dulls our taste for salt, so we can't tell if/when our food is salty.

We might even overcompensate by adding even more salt "to taste".

I have to wonder the same thing. I know the water is frequently desalinated, and I can't taste salt in the water I drink, but I end up retaining fluid to a terrible extent while cruising. It's less of a problem in cooler climes than hot ones, but it is still quite noticeable.

I double up on diuretics, and even use compression stockings, but they only help, and don't eliminate the problem.

The first two days home I lose the problem quickly, so I know it has something to do with the ship.

I have had the same problem on the last five cruises over the last three years...swelled up to the point that I had trouble getting my shoes on and had to take Lasix twice when I arrived home and saw a doctor...never had that problem at home. I did try drinking bottle water instead of the water served from pitchers during lunch and dinner. Did not have any edema when I stayed with the bottled water so I think the ship's water still contains quite a bit of sodium.

Its the food. There's so much hidden sodium that everything you eat is suspect. From breakfast on - including salt in the oatmeal, through lunch where I suspect most of the prepared hot foods are salted, and probably many of the salad items as well. And there's hidden sodium in many of the MDR menu choices - from the shrimp cocktail (shrimp cooked in salted water and cocktail sauce) to pasta (also cooked in salted water) salad dressings, vegetables, and every main dish that has a sauce with it. The list goes on. Its almost impossible to avoid it.

I try to be very vigiliant, but its very difficult.

You can ask to preorder items off the menu for the following evenings dinner. As some have stated that the food is just too bland when it's served totally saltfree.So perhaps try removing some of the cuprits (ie scrape off excess sauces) since most meal have enought to spare.

I think in the open seating the menu you preselect will find you because you have to give your cabin number when you enter the diningroom. Just let the steward know that you have preselected your dinner.

If you do not have problems with your kidneys of CHF you need to drink lots of water each day (8-10 glasses). I think that when you drink bottled water, you are more likely to finish all of it as opposed to a glass from a pitcher.

I try to drink a couple of glasses of water at each meal and any time that I sit down somewhere I will also have a glass of water. I'm sure the heat does make a difference as well as any air travel, so you really need more water than you would drink at home.

I've not had any problems with swelling (touch wood), so either I'm doing the right thing or I'm not prone to swelling.

I know that there is a lot of different opinions and advice and I hope you are able to find something that works for you.

Thanks for the info on the bottled water - I was thinking about trying that on our next cruise.

At home I never add salt to anything that I cook - have a large array of herbs in the cupboard and in the garden - we use unsalted butter and every item I buy is checked for salt content.

So I think we are sensitive to a lot of salt in food - I found that I often couldn't eat a lot of the vegetables as they were so salty.

I remember a fellow passenger comment that he could taste the salt in the water when he brushed his teeth but have never noticed it myself.

I have the same problem on the ship....my ankles are ALWAYS swollen. I do know that once on board, you can request a low sodium diet. The steward will give you the menu the prior day and you check off your selections. I did this in '09 but not this past February...and had a real issue with swollen ankles. So, back to the low sodium diet next time, even though it doesn't solve the problem 100%, it lessens the swollen ankles.

I am vigilant at home and never use salt in cooking or on our food. Use unsalted butter, etc. Perhaps that makes those of us who do that at home more sensitive on the ship with "hidden" sodium.

Also, coming from a colder climate to Florida and the Caribbean could be a shock to the system....

Interesting about the information sheet from the Infirmary.

Hi, Nancy! Good to see you...hope we get to cruise on the same cruise again sometime!

That's a great idea innlady!

I just thought of the no-salt seasoning that I buy at Costco. It is organic and contains onion, garlic, herbs and spices, carrot, red bell papper, tomato, orange peel, lemon peel, red pepper and citric acid.

I use it a lot for soups, stews and stir fries - it is fairly coarse so think I would grind it very fine so it could be sprinkled on veggies and soup - I just love HAl soups and have had to give up the hot varieties because they contain so much salt.

Once again, I'm thrilled with all of you who care enough to help out. DH's need is reduced salt, rather than NO salt. He will try the special menu, but will probably opt for some swelling rather than missing the fun of excellent food while we're on a HAL cruise. After all, it is a vacation!!!

Interesting comments about some salt remaining in the water . . . never tasted it there, but do know that even on land, water tastes different as you travel from one place to another. Sometimes we just have to live with being a bit puffed up

. . . but when it then hurts to move, the vacation is no longer as much fun.

And "Hi" to you also Sheila. Come cruise with us in November! Or are you serving platters of turkey to Thanksgiving guests at the Inn?

Archived