Penthouse or Owners Suite

CHUCKIE50

We just returned home from a 12-Day Western Med cruise on Insignia in a PH2 Suite.

Other than being smaller than the OS and not having a Jacuzzi Tub, PH suites receive the same ammenities as that of the OS.

The PH Suite was the perfect size for 2 ladies sharing (we did request additional hangers though) and there was plenty of closet and shelf space.

Also had both, two sailings in an OS and then a PH.

I thoroughly enjoyed being in bed and watching the water, something I could not do from the OS bed due to the solid barrier around the veranda. Obviously the OS deck was larger, MUCH larger than the PH but all we used it for was to sit and read. I think we may have had breakfast there once or twice. Size was not a seller.

One situation where I would again book an OS would be for the Panama Canal crossing. The views from the back were fabulous. I suspect the Kiel Canal might be the same but I haven't done that.

As far as amenities I didn't feel we were lacking any creature comforts when we sailed in the PH. It was more than comfortable.

Maybe the question is what do you want to pay?

If money were not an object, I'd always pick an OS over a PH. However, one big drawback for those of us who are prone to seasickness is the location of the OS and VS ... you're either at the very front or the very back of the ship. This is not good if you tend to get seasick.

With a PH you can get midships. Lower down would be better if you are really prone to seasickness, but ships tend to structure the more expensive accommodations higher up. So I go for the PH1 when in doubt.

But I have to say the huge veranda and the jacuzzi in the OS make the difference for me. Normally I'm not willing to pay the price differential and we go for the PH. But the PH is JUST FINE!

I still yearn for another OS someday ...

If money were not an object, I'd always pick an OS over a PH.

We second that emotion, Mura! the OP references a port intensive Med cruise, so most of the "at sea" time will mostly be overnights, anyway.

As Mura says, the Penthouses are just fine, but the Owners Suites are Spectacular.

Take the Owners Suite!!!

We second that emotion, Mura! the OP references a port intensive Med cruise, so most of the "at sea" time will mostly be overnights, anyway.

As Mura says, the Penthouses are just fine, but the Owners Suites are Spectacular.

Take the Owners Suite!!!

Have only been in the PH's never stayed in one but coming from an OS they seem cramped. If you can swing it take the OS and luxuriate! The only problem will be that you'll never want anything else.:)

Now that is what I call a compromise! :D

We prefer the Vista Suites best of any accomodations on the R ships, mostly because we love the concept of seeing where we are going rather than where we have been.

vista-suite.jpgSpeaking of that view, when booking a Vista it is important to be aware that they are located at the front of the ships superstructure.

15167951.jpg The front (or bow) is more of a working area of the ship than is the back (or stern) where the Owners Suites are located.

Oceania_Nautica_Cairns_04.JPG

Naturally, on a passenger ship, the crew tries to be as quiet about their duties as they can, but if you're booking a Vista it is best to be aware that you will occasionally hear the anchors dropping, the bow thrusters being used, or the winches running.

palm-beach-princess-bow-underway.jpgWe think that the workings of the ship are fascinating, and even occasionally invite guests in to watch the "show" when the ship is casting off from the pier.

Did the Caribbean in Regatta two years ago in an OS on the 6th deck. I am a light sleeper and all I can tell you is that there was a fair amount of vibration in the room when the ship got underway (evenings, when I was trying to sleep. lolo). If you do decide to go with an OS, I would suggest higher up is better, even though the decks get smaller as you do.

Mark

Did the Caribbean in Regatta two years ago in an OS on the 6th deck. I am a light sleeper and all I can tell you is that there was a fair amount of vibration in the room when the ship got underway (evenings, when I was trying to sleep. lolo). If you do decide to go with an OS, I would suggest higher up is better, even though the decks get smaller as you do.

Mark

Have been in a deck 6 & 7 OS. We actually preferred the Deck 6 unit... experienced very little vibration.

It is refreshing to hear that you're expecting to sail on a ship. So many have unrealistic expectations. ;)

I actually thought I was going on a floating luxury hotel. I'll probably have to cancel.:)

I've heard many complaints that the ocean actually isn't always smooth as glass.

;)

I actually thought I was going on a floating luxury hotel. I'll probably have to cancel.:)

I've heard many complaints that the ocean actually isn't always smooth as glass.

;)

If that's going to bother you, stay away from the VS since they get the worst motion of any suites if you happen not to be sailing on glass.:(

Since I can't see the tongues in cheek I will assume people are speaking literally!

Generally we target PH accommodations but on the non-Libya cruise in November 2005 we were in an OS, 8067. On the Iceland cruise in June 2006 we were in a VS, 7004.

Based on these two cabins, we'd prefer an OS ... yes, the VS as the advantage of seeing where you are going ... and when we were in the OS most of the time we didn't have the greatest view of the port. (On a few occasions we did.)

But we heard a lot of anchor-raising/lowering noise in the VS. So in general, based on our limited experience, I'd prefer the OS.

Also, you have a larger veranda on the OS.

On our most recent cruise we visited friends in a Deck 6 VS and were struck by how much smaller it was than our Deck 7 VS. I don't mean it was really small ... just that it was smaller. OTOH, the occupants really enjoyed their close-up views of the docking and departure procedures.

But since then I haven't been able to pony up the extra dollars for an OS/VS and so we've been in PHs ... except for the Midnight Sun when we booked to late to get one!

It seems you can have lots of opinions as to whether a PH or OS or VS or Deck 4 cabin is the best ...

Regarding the smooth as glass questions ...

On our Med cruise in 2005, it was a Med cruise ... we had NO problems with rough seas.

This was not the case on the 2006 Iceland cruise! We had some rather rough seas.

Did it really make a difference as to whether we were fore or aft? I doubt it. I think it had to do with WHERE WE WERE SAILING.

It can get rough anywhere ... when we did our Panama Canal cruise on Regatta in January 2004 it was so rough going in to Aruba that the captain changed our flight plan. Everyone was sick, including the cabin stewards. On our recent arctic cruise, I don't recall any rough seas anywhere.

You really cannot predict ...

Good luck!

Mura

Yes, if the wind is blowing, you either stand at the rail and endure the wind to get the view, or sit in the sheltered lounge chair where you may get the sun, but won't have a view.

We mostly use the Vista Balcony when entering or leaving port, when the ship is not moving fast enough for wind to be an issue.

012011.jpg

105740.jpg

We entertain on that balcony a great deal.

We also enjoy our breakfast out there, almost every morning

210852.jpg

Archived