Maasdam overnight tonight in halifax

adrift@sea

Thanks for the news.

Maasdam is heading to Montreal from Boston -- staying overnight in Halifax does indicate that they will be skipping Sydney. Just like the Eurodam is overnighting in Charlottetown tonight and skipping Sydney tomorrow.

Seems like a lot of us skipped Sydney. Is it a difficult port to get into, etc.? Why is this one being missed so much this season?

Looks like Maasdam is having a rough go of it. She's been in 20 foot waves and 60 knots of wind for the last 3 or 4 hours and 10+ feet with up to 75 knots of wind since she left Halifax (according to Sailwx).

Looks like they're past Sydney now so probably headed to Charlottetown PEI for tomorrow a.m.

Anybody 'live' from the Maasdam or hear anything more? My mother is on this trip, but she doesn't use the computers.

Igor hit Newfoundland as just less than a category 2 storm causing massive flooding and wind damage. The pictures on the evening news were heartbreaking. One man was swept out to sea when the road he was driving on collapsed underneath him.

Officials are saying that it is the worst storm to ever hit the province.

I will be anxious to see the reports tomorrow in the aftermath. All of the videos so far have been taken at the height of the storm---and now of course it is dark so there won't be anything else to see until dawn.

People in Newfoundland have a real sense of community and they always help one another in times of need, so this quality will stand them in good stead in the days to come.

People in Newfoundland have a real sense of community and they always help one another in times of need, so this quality will stand them in good stead in the days to come.

I remember St John's in Newfoundland very well...it was a wonderful port. We stopped there on a westbound transatlantic in 2001, after having been in Le Havre on September 11. By the time we arrived in St John's, many days later, so much had changed in the world.

You mentioned the sense of community...I remember reading about the town of Gander and the many jets that landed at the airport after being grounded on 9/11, and how the community helped thousands of stranded passengers. It's a remarkable story.

My thoughts are with the gracious people of Newfoundland.

Archived