Statue of David

nps001

Another question....we have decided that we want to see Pisa and Florence. Therefore, because of the distance, we have booked the "on your own tour" that takes us from the port to Florence, gives us 3 hours there, and then a bus ride to Pisa for a 1 hour visit.

My question is have any of you bought tickets in advance to see the Statue of David? Who did you book with? We only want to pre book the tickets to avoid the lines. We are sailing on Celebrity and could use your suggestion on what time to book the tour. I am thinking 11 am is a good time---not too early in case we are delayed yet early enough to see more of Florence. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Another question....we have decided that we want to see Pisa and Florence. Therefore, because of the distance, we have booked the "on your own tour" that takes us from the port to Florence, gives us 3 hours there, and then a bus ride to Pisa for a 1 hour visit.

My question is have any of you bought tickets in advance to see the Statue of David? Who did you book with? We only want to pre book the tickets to avoid the lines. We are sailing on Celebrity and could use your suggestion on what time to book the tour. I am thinking 11 am is a good time---not too early in case we are delayed yet early enough to see more of Florence. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Subject their website would work... you should get them online here:

http://www.b-ticket.com/b%2Dticket/uffizi/

2009NCLGEM50607-vi.jpg

Regards

HeinBloed

Online Ticket Sales works now:

http://www.b-ticket.com/b-ticket/uffizi/venueAccademia.aspx

Original price plus 4 EUR booking fee (when you did it by phone it was a surcharge of 3 EUR... before).

There are other online service which takes 15.00 EUR per ticket!!! Pay attention!!!

like: http://www.museumticket.it/BookingStep1_prepara.action;jsessionid=F3CBEC61B4FDC6D64EFE1E9F8157E8C8?museumId=4

Regards

HeinBloed

Absolutely prebook or you will wait in a long line. We used the online B-ticket with no problems. When you are within about 15 minutes of the time on your ticket, go up to the door on the right side. They have a little roped off area for pre-purchased tickets. Hand the voucher to the ticket man which he will exchange for a ticket and he will let you in right away. You then have to go through security.

Very easy. Uffizi was much worse. The line for pre-booked tickets was long, very long. We actually missed this part of our day because we had to meet back at Saint Croce at 3:30 pm on the ship's tour and our entrance was for 2:30. That was the first available on the website when we booked and it didn't work out. We tried to get in just a little bit earlier, but were turned away. But, you should be able to see the David easily.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't waste the time to visit Pisa if I could spend a few more hours in Florence. Florence is one of the world's most beautiful cities with so much to see than David.

Love Florence and here's my picture from being "upclose and personal" with this David. Getting advance tickets to the Accademia is very smart, saving lots of time. The waits can also be very long for the Uffizi, rated as Italy greatest art gallery. Advance tickets there is very, very smart, also. Below are a couple of other Florence pictures. Lots to see and enjoy here.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Michelangelo's David is spectacular for its details. It is 17' high and was done in 1504. When completed at the young age of 29, this work established its artist as the foremost sculptor of his time. It was moved "inside" to the Accademia in 1873 for safety. A copy exists on its original Piazza della Signoria site.

FlorencePerfectManStatute.jpg

Here are two shots of the "skyline" of Florence. First, the Duomo and its Campanile at 276' high. The dome by Brunelleschi is 299' high and completed in 1463. The second, wider shot of Florence, also shows Palazzo Vecchio or the Town Hall completed in 1322. In the foreground is the Arno River.

FlorenceChurchDomeTower.jpg

FlorenceDomeTowerSkyline.jpg

Overlooking Florence's Piazza della Signoria, this picture shows some of the art around Palazzo Vecchio.

FlorenceCityBldgCornerTower.jpg

We were on a tour with Romeinlimo who prebooked for us. Sorry that doesn't help :o but I just wanted an excuse to put up the picture I snuck of David.

Thanks for taking and posting the picture of David. I know that you aren't supposed to, but I am excited to see it. It was one of the most important things that I wanted to see in Florence and I didn't get to see it.

Thanks for taking and posting the picture of David. I know that you aren't supposed to, but I am excited to see it. It was one of the most important things that I wanted to see in Florence and I didn't get to see it.

It is very, very impressive to see in person. To me, the knees are key impressive in how that kind of human detailed was captured and reflected in stone.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

You know why I buy all advance tickets - so I don't waste precious time standing in the rain in a line. Worked beautifully and I was able to maximize my precious time in Florence. What is a few bucks for more time to enjoy the treasures. It is mouse nuts compared to the cost of the airfare, cruise, etc.

You know why I buy all advance tickets - so I don't waste precious time standing in the rain in a line. Worked beautifully and I was able to maximize my precious time in Florence. What is a few bucks for more time to enjoy the treasures. It is mouse nuts compared to the cost of the airfare, cruise, etc.

Very well summarized!!! Those lines are long and we were so thankful for having our advance ticket at both of these great museums in this wonderful city.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 19,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

How were you able to sneak the pictures?! :) My friend went a while back and got an earful for taking one, hee hee. We will be in Florence mid-October...has anyone been around this time? How bad are the lines for the galleries? I always read of how they are long but they do they get any better this time of year? I leave in a week for Europe and I am getting those butterflies in my tummy!

I will offer the counterpoint that we really enjoyed our hour and half detour to Pisa I am not sure what I'd have done with that extra time in Florence as it isn't enough time to see Ufizzi, and thru our private tour got everything else.

Everyone on our tour wanted to see this iconic and we had a blast climbing it too.

20 years ago when cameras were allowed we got lots of private time with David too :D

For what it's worth, I wouldn't waste the time to visit Pisa if I could spend a few more hours in Florence. Florence is one of the world's most beautiful cities with so much to see than David.

4220_Pisa.jpg.f8e6b6e6d240322b6d5c99850424aa56.jpg

1098822791_4280_TopofPisa.jpg.9e8747bf7645d6574cecb412c8ab3fad.jpg

1993_09b.jpg.e86b17d8053ff97fc89520f83cac7ddd.jpg

The David is magnificent and a Must See in Florence. Advance tickets are also a must, when your time is so limited. We were told not to try to do both Florence and Pisa, but were so glad that we were able to do both on our first trip. I really wish I had been able to spend more time in Pisa, but, now that I have been, I would opt to spend more time in Florence on subsequent visits. We skipped Pisa on our next trip, but the Acadamia was closed the day we were in Florence so we missed the David. I was so glad that we opted to see it on our the previous visit.

As for the picture of the David, I too wish that rules that do not apply to others, did not always apply to me, however, I feel that we must respect the rules and cultures when we visit other countries. Talking and picture taking in such places as this and the Sistene chapel, gives visitors a bad name.

Perhaps if people had their cameras confiscated after taking a picture in prohibited places, they would finally get the message. I just returned from a Med cruise and I was appalled by the behaviour of some people in museums and churches. Don't get me started about some of the clothes people wore into churches. Whether you are a believer or not, there is no reason why you can't show a little respect.

On our Dream cruise a couple of honeymooners ended their cruise in Florence so they could spend 3 days in Florence. You have to let the cruiseline know that you are not coming back but ending somewhere, but it can be done. That was at the end of our cruise, though and they only missed one other port.

As for the picture of the David, I too wish that rules that do not apply to others, did not always apply to me, however, I feel that we must respect the rules and cultures when we visit other countries. Talking and picture taking in such places as this and the Sistene chapel, gives visitors a bad name.

It was 1999 when I was in that Florence museum and as I re-call, there was NO restrictions against taking still pictures there without a flash. Don't know the current policy. Most of the problems are with those using flashes and/or being disruptive to others trying to see and enjoy these great places. Using flash can be a problem for the historic art pieces and/or creating safety issues for others inside these somewhat congested spaces.

This is the website for this museum, but they don't have an English version, right now.

http://www.accademia.firenze.it

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 19,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Archived