Lower rates on cruises

Fishcreek

My travel agent has encouraged me to book a cruise as soon as we know we want to go on a particular one, even if the price is more than we want to pay. She says that if the price goes down, we can get the lower rate. It doesn't make sense to me that a cruise line will lower our rate if we have booked the cruise at a higher one. If they do this, is it done automatically or do we have to continue watching the rates and call them when we see it is lower?

We have never enjoyed a price drop :(, but it is my understanding you have to watch the rates, find the reduction yourself and apply for the difference. There is also some debate about before/after final payment, and all sorts of ifs ands and buts, yadda yadda...

Honestly, find a new TA. Regardless of whether a cruise line will refund/OBC a price drop, the TA is giving you bad advice to book a vacation for more than you are willing to spend or can afford.

Don't forget there will be "extras" like tips, taxis/transfers, etc. If you stretch too much, you might spend time worrying about the cost and not really enjoy your cruise. jmho.

I am not a TA but have helped lots of folks with cruises and cruise ports. If a TA is telling you to book a cruise your cannot afford you need to find another TA or simply do what many of use do and watch prices online and book online (you can do this directly with a cruise line or with an online TA). If you shop around you will usually find a better deal through one or more large online TAs which might have a lower price (not as common as it used to be) or can offer amenties such as onboard credits.

Hank

Frankly you t/a has given you good advice. By booking now you get your choice of cabin and in all likelihood the price will drop and your t/a will get the adjustment for you. In the meantime you have only a small refundable deposit up until final payment is due and can cancel at any time up until final; we do this all the time. Just be sure that your t/a does not charge a cancellation fee. Your other alternative is to wait until after the final is due and see what gets offered in the way of "flash promotions" you may or may not get the cruise at a lower price and you certainly won't get a wide choice of cabins.

why don't you just book the cabin you want and are comfortable paying for. Then you watch your sailing to see if prices change and a higher priced cabin is reduced. The you make the decision if you want to upgrade yourself. This is what I did this past summer, booked a balcony, knowing I really like the room, then 2 months later, prices on suites dropped by a total of 500.00, I upgraded us, but was stilling ok with paying a much higher price for that category, even with a price drop. I watch the prices everyday just in case.Dona

I've never had a price drop in my 7 cruises. A couple of them went up $1000. I search for a price I want to pay for the cabin I want (I won't cruise without a balcony). I pick a certain cabin. I've been fortunate to get the special deposit ($100 pp) so not a lot invested. I buy insurance just in case, but I've never had a problem canceling before final payments (only had to do that once).

I always figure the trip is going to cost me double what I pay for the cruise. If you can't afford that, then don't book it.

Just an example, I paid $2000 for our Med cruise. But I was way off on the rest of the trip. I planned another $2500 because the dollar was doing so poorly and the exchange rate was terrible. In actuality, our 3 week trip to Europe cost us $6000 pp. That's airfare, hotels, food, photos on-board, tours, tips, cruise, souvenirs, etc.

Someone on this board said to take half the clothes you think you need and double the money. And boy, were they right.

So I would advise to only book what you know you can afford.

Honestly, find a new TA. Regardless of whether a cruise line will refund/OBC a price drop, the TA is giving you bad advice to book a vacation for more than you are willing to spend or can afford.

Don't forget there will be "extras" like tips, taxis/transfers, etc. If you stretch too much, you might spend time worrying about the cost and not really enjoy your cruise. jmho.

I would be very concerned with a TA telling you to spend more than you afford. If there is this issue now, I wonder if a rate drop occured, if it would get applied.

Frankly you t/a has given you good advice. By booking now you get your choice of cabin and in all likelihood the price will drop and your t/a will get the adjustment for you. In the meantime you have only a small refundable deposit up until final payment is due and can cancel at any time up until final; we do this all the time. Just be sure that your t/a does not charge a cancellation fee. Your other alternative is to wait until after the final is due and see what gets offered in the way of "flash promotions" you may or may not get the cruise at a lower price and you certainly won't get a wide choice of cabins.

... even though many in this thread said they never got a price drop, you would tell a newbie that its likely the price would drop for THEIR cruise. I cruise out of Galveston mostly, and the likelyhood to me is pretty small.

My rule is if the price is higher than I feel comfortable paying, wait, dont book the cruise, look for an alternative, maybe Ill drive to New Orleans instead.

As far as your comment about the OP will have a small refundable deposit. .. I missed which cruiseline we are talking about. Many are booking Carnival ES rates, where the deposit is nonrefundable.

OP YOU have to watch the prices. No one will watch them as closely as you imo.

This explanation of how/why makes perfect sense. But it doesn't sound like the OP was given this clear of an explanation! Until I read your post, I agreed with others - find a new T/A.

Archived