Princess great what about Rhapsody of the Seas?

hawkers

Would really appreciate some feedback on Rhapsody of the Seas. Loved the Diamond Princess last year to New Zealand. Enjoyed Sun Princess Northern Explorer although a few problems occurred as the refurbishment was being completed while we sailed.

Have no idea about Rhapsody and we are considering one up the Queensland coast. How does she compare to the Sun class Princess ships? Similar to the Dawn and Sun or no comparison? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I think you may find the Rhapsody last listed as refurbished in 2002 to be a bit tired. Diamond Princess is a very successful and popular ship. Add to that that Princess tends to have better food (IMHO at least) than Royal Carib and you have a better all round product in Princess.

Hi,

We have been on both ships, and love both ships for different reasons. If I had to choose I would prob vote ROS. ROS is perhaps a bit more laid back. Both had excellent food, great entertainment, nice cabins (although the diamond cabins were better laid out). I like to go on different ships, but the ones so far that stick in my mind are Rhapsody, and the Superstar Leo.

Enjoy your cruise.

Jen

I'd sail Rhapsody over Dawn or Sun I've sailed on the Sun when she was US-based, and just sailed Rhapsody out of Sydney last year. I prefer Rhapsody by a wide margin. Rhapsody has a crew that is one of the best I've sailed with, and I found the food to be much better than the usual RCI fare, and better than anything I've had recently on Princess. There were a lot of menu items that I haven't seen on the other RCI cruises I've been on.

I found the Sun to be tired and old, and very crowded. I seldom felt crowded on Rhapsody. She could use a refurbishment, but after the first day or two I found myself not caring.

And I prefer the layout of the cabins on Rhapsody - you get a full sofa in most of them, vs. the little chair they give you on Diamond unless you're in a minisuite or higher. Storage is comparable, bathrooms are bathrooms.;)

Now, Princess lets you bring wine onboard, while RCI does not. It was maddening in that market not to be able to bring some of the local offerings back to sample with dinner. But if you're not a wine drinker, you won't care about that. And the Hotel Director on Rhapsody did go shopping for local wines and offered them in a package or by the bottle, so all was not lost.:)

Thank you to posters who have taken the time to provide information. My main concern with Rhapsody was how she is managing her age. It will be nearly 5 years since her refurbishment when we plan to sail in late 2011 so I guess we were hoping she doesn't appear to look too tired. The Queensland itinerary does appeal. We are taking our 80 year old Mum who has recently sailed on Dawn Princess and hope she will enjoy a different line and ship.

Its been two years since we were on the ROS, but back then she certainly was not showing her age. It is a very clean ship, and the buffet area is one of the best I have seen. Views all round complimented by the excellent food choice on offer. As said before, the staff on this ship are wonderful...the best. I would sail on her any day again, and yes, the Qld itinerary looks appealing. You will not be disappointed.

Jen

we went round Tassie on the ROS and the only thing that let the cruise down was the weather and the AU $ against the US $. But now with the rate you'll be laughing, just don't change any money on the ship, we got .64 to the AU on board, take US $ on board.

Stevo

Haven't sailed on a Princess ship so far, but have to say, we did enjoy our cruise on the Rhapsody from Sydney to Honolulu last April. Ship looked in good condition to us, staff were great. TV remote and telephone didn't work in our room - staff were very prompt in fixing the problems. Our oceanview cabin on deck 3 was kept tidy and we didn't notice any major wear and tear. Cabins still had the old TVs and bathrooms had shower curtains, not doors- but that didn't bother us. Food in MDR was sometimes a miss, but staff bent over backwards to please us.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd sail Rhapsody over Dawn or Sun I've sailed on the Sun when she was US-based, and just sailed Rhapsody out of Sydney last year. I prefer Rhapsody by a wide margin. Rhapsody has a crew that is one of the best I've sailed with, and I found the food to be much better than the usual RCI fare, and better than anything I've had recently on Princess. There were a lot of menu items that I haven't seen on the other RCI cruises I've been on.

I'm interested in this comparison as well. We were on the Diamond Princess through Asia this year and are on the Rhapsody Queensland cruise next March. Nice to hear that the crew is excellent, and I do hope they have some Australian wines on board. Mind you, we live here, so perhaps I should try something non-local!

I've quoted the message above as I've just finished reading about the fee for a better cut of steak on the MDR. Now, I'm not going to make any judgements about that here (it seems to generate some pretty strong opinions....) but I'd like to understand what they do on ships like the Rhapsody who don't have Chops as a dining option. Do they still have the sirloin as an alternative choice every night? I've been reading that this may or may not be the case. Anything anyone can share on what the go is on this ship?

I'm interested in this comparison as well. We were on the Diamond Princess through Asia this year and are on the Rhapsody Queensland cruise next March. Nice to hear that the crew is excellent, and I do hope they have some Australian wines on board. Mind you, we live here, so perhaps I should try something non-local!

I've quoted the message above as I've just finished reading about the fee for a better cut of steak on the MDR. Now, I'm not going to make any judgements about that here (it seems to generate some pretty strong opinions....) but I'd like to understand what they do on ships like the Rhapsody who don't have Chops as a dining option. Do they still have the sirloin as an alternative choice every night? I've been reading that this may or may not be the case. Anything anyone can share on what the go is on this ship?

On our cruise, Filet Mignon was available in the MDR for a fee. Some of the gentlemen at our table enjoyed it and ordered it more than once. Steak was huge, way too much meat for me, but they absolutely loved it and thought it was well worth the extra cost, approx. $18.

Upcharging in the main dining room is just plain tacky. I am sorry to hear that it is happening. Another example of the down hill slide.

Very much agree there.

I don't mind specialty restaurants as it still leaves inclusive dining venues. But when you add charging to the main restaurants, it makes it so much simpler to take it to the next step and charge for more there, then just have one 'basic' inclusive meal... Of course, that's not going to happen tomorrow, but not a fan of this change either.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on the Rhapsody last November - Freemantle (Perth) to Sydney, via Tasmania and South Island, NZ. Cannot compare it with the Princess ships (will be able to after next March!) but she was fine. Would agree that the crew is excellent and also thoroughly enjoyed the food. There is some vibration on the right-hand side of the ship (can never remember if its port or starboard) through some of the cabins and I know some people did complain, but apart from that the cruise was brilliant.

Loved Rhapsody of the Seas AND Diamond Princess. Superstar Leo was the standout for me too. May be because it was my first cruise though.

On Rhapsody I liked the extra seating areas. The enclosed pool area was great. Even if lousy weather you can swim and be warm. Good choice of activities. Staff were great. My only complaint was the drink prices (but as the other poster mentioned) the exchange rate is better now. At least they had 2 for 1 happy hours. Just follow the happy hours from bar to bar.;);)

Superstar LEO formerly sailing with Star Cruises now renamed as Norwegian SPIRIT now sails as part of NCL fleet in USA and is normally based in New Orleans , doing Carrribean Cruises. Superstar VIRGO is LEO's sister ship and of equal quality and crew and is still sailing for Star Cruises out of Singapore to the Straits of Malacca.

We're trying to decide on the Queensland cruise in November 2011 or a land vacation to Sydney. I know that there are pluses and minuses to each, but I'm starting to lean more towards the cruise so that we can see some other areas (and we love cruises). Anyone out there care to weigh in on which they think is best for a first time visit to AUS?

We're trying to decide on the Queensland cruise in November 2011 or a land vacation to Sydney. I know that there are pluses and minuses to each, but I'm starting to lean more towards the cruise so that we can see some other areas (and we love cruises). Anyone out there care to weigh in on which they think is best for a first time visit to AUS?

Why not do both.

After the long flight you will probably arrive/leave from Sydney , so why not , if time permits have a pre , or post cruise stay in Sydney for a few days?

That way you will kill 2 birds with the 1 stone.:)

Its been two years since we were on the ROS, but back then she certainly was not showing her age. It is a very clean ship, and the buffet area is one of the best I have seen. Views all round complimented by the excellent food choice on offer. As said before, the staff on this ship are wonderful...the best. I would sail on her any day again, and yes, the Qld itinerary looks appealing. You will not be disappointed.

Jen

Hiya Jen - and Bob!

Fancy seeing you 2 up on the screen again! Long time.

Hope you are both well - I see you cruised just this April; was it good?

Julie and I are back on Rhapsody for the 27 December cruise - New Years Eve.

South Pacific Islands again for the 3rd time, but this trip we have a Junior Suite, and no kids!!

And of course you are right, Rhapsody is a really nice ship and we had no hesitation in rebooking on her.

Maybe we will see you around some time? All the best to Bob too.

Kevin and Julie

Hiya Jen - and Bob!

Fancy seeing you 2 up on the screen again! Long time.

Hope you are both well - I see you cruised just this April; was it good?

Julie and I are back on Rhapsody for the 27 December cruise - New Years Eve.

South Pacific Islands again for the 3rd time, but this trip we have a Junior Suite, and no kids!!

And of course you are right, Rhapsody is a really nice ship and we had no hesitation in rebooking on her.

Maybe we will see you around some time? All the best to Bob too.

Kevin and Julie

Hi Julie and Kev,

Nice how this board has bought people together. We have fond memories of you both (and a few pics to prove our good times). I dont often post here anymore, but read quite a bit, sussing out our next cruise. Yes, the Diamond was great, the itinerary 'fabulous', but the ROS was much better re food, entertainment, staff and of course friends like you. Unfortunately we wont be cruising for a while, due to a headon car accident on the highway a couple of months ago (I had chest injuries and fractured my spine). But, this hasnt stopped me looking. Enjoy your next cruise 'alone', and have a couple of drinks for me.

Jen

Hi Julie and Kev,

Nice how this board has bought people together. We have fond memories of you both (and a few pics to prove our good times). I dont often post here anymore, but read quite a bit, sussing out our next cruise. Yes, the Diamond was great, the itinerary 'fabulous', but the ROS was much better re food, entertainment, staff and of course friends like you. Unfortunately we wont be cruising for a while, due to a headon car accident on the highway a couple of months ago (I had chest injuries and fractured my spine). But, this hasnt stopped me looking. Enjoy your next cruise 'alone', and have a couple of drinks for me.

Jen

Hi Jen - and Hi to Bob for us.

Really sorry to hear about your accident; hope you are healing well? Was it Bob "fangin" the wrx?:eek:

I'm sure we'll be able to manage a drink to you guys - and many others - in memory of the last cruise. We too have really good memories of you 2 and the other good friends we met. Plenty of laughs then!

We will report back in January.

Kev n Julie

Archived