Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

My questions is: Why do the EARTH gals always find FIRE colors and all I ever find are EARTH colors?

I have thought this sooooo many times. When I'm shopping it seems like I find ALL seasons EXCEPT FIRE! Why is that????

Well I see I have missed a lot. I'm in the same boat as you Kim, Pam, and Debbie. I get so confused when shopping even when I take my cards. My Lowe's didn't have all the cards so I am missing several and can't compare them with your groupings. I'm going to try an experiment with the cards this pm. Maybe it will help me. I'm sending this from my kindle,so it's taking forever to type. Catch you later.

Hey, Ladies... you know what?!? I think we DO have a much tougher time than the other "seasons." Ladies in the other seasons might disagree with me, but here's my thinking:

EARTH. They have to figure out whether the color is warm or cool. And that's pretty much it. I mean... muted... really? Isn't it a lot easier to figure out that something isn't that "bright" as opposed to figuring out whether a color is WARM, CLEAR, BRIGHT?!?

AIR. They have to figure out whether the color is cool. And, that's pretty much it. Muted. Cool.

ICE. If they can't figure out whether the color is BRIGHT, COOL, CLEAR... what's to think about? Just buy it in BLACK or WHITE! Right?!?

Which leaves US. WE have to figure out that it's WARM; that it's CLEAR; that it's BRIGHT. Good grief.

And, the other thing(s). I don't know what happens to Ladies of the other seasons when they make a mistake. But I know what happens to ME when I make a mistake! I look like death warmed over! Seriously?!?

And, how many items do the fashion manufacturers think they are going to make in WARM, CLEAR, BRIGHT? Certainly, not a bunch of PANTS. Right?!?

Whatever. BTW, Ive had <ahem> a few glasses of wine. This could Be COLORING my THINKING! LOL. That's pretty funny to me right now. Wonder if it'll be funny when I read in the morning and the wine is out of my system?!? :D

Whew. Debbie. The colors that I am pretty confident of: aquas, oranges, corals. And, I think, yellows.

You know what IS interesting? Years ago when I figured out that you had to pack in a mix & match fashion in order to get through a longer vacation with minimal luggage... I was using black and white (of course) before I learned that I shouldn't. Anyway, in the latest effort that I have to pack in a minimal fashion, I really do have an interesting and colorful wardrobe. At least I can say that I'm happy with the items that I have... they may not be "perfect" but they are SO MUCH BETTER than they were before! i think, at the end of the day, when we reflect upon how hard this still is for us... at least... we are doing so much better! That's a definite plus, in my book.

Whew. That's it. Philosophy over. Stumbling off to bed.... wow... Zumba tomorrow morning. Maybe that extra glass of wine wasn't the most brilliant idea EVER...

O, Mi. Gosh.

Linda, except for the stiff neck, don't feel too bad! :D

Except... that line about "coloring my thinking" was SO FUNNY last night,,, and... now I don't "get" it! :confused:

Wow. You know, Ladies, I'm having some CC issues; I've spoken with Anita about them. There seems to be some kind of weirdness going on with the postings here (for me) lately. I'm not talking about OUR thread; I'm just talking about CC in general. I used to enjoy reading through the posts and comments and now it seems like they are just filled with sarcasm, rancor, negativity, judgments. I'm thinking that maybe the CC "addiction" has run its course, for me.

But, I don't want to give up my relationship (even though its virtual) with the Earth and Fire ladies. I don't know; but my thought is that I'm going to turn down my visits to this forum to maybe once a week, or so. I'll be gone for the month of October, anyway.

Is anyone else feeling this way? Or, is it just me?:(

Oh, Pam -- in vino veritas.

I did the black/white/khaki capsule wardrobe for traveling for a long time. It is very easy, but definitely not me at all.

I think every season must believe the other seasons have it easier. Every Christmas I see all the ICE colors and go "Really? Again??" Just try to find an outfit for New Year's Eve that isn't ICE. Needle in a haystack.

Last spring I thought everything looked like FIRE or AIR. I can't tell you how many coral tops I tried on. And turquoise is the bane of my existence. It's one of my favorite colors and I'm always finding clothes that I like in FIRE turquoise. All those colored jeans? Not EARTH. All those cute resort clothes that look great in the Carribbean? Not EARTH. All your photos from your trips, where all you FIRE girls look so fantastic? I'm jealous.

Thank goodness Autumn is here, because there is finally some choice for us EARTH girls.

Gee, what a rant, and I haven't even had any wine. ;)

What happens to me when I wear the wrong color? My skin either looks blotchy (ICE), or it looks too red (AIR), or I just disappear inside the clothes (FIRE).

Oh, and a very kind friend from NJ got me the Pantone chips from Lowes! Now I can go back and see what ya'll are talking about with my own eyes!

Pam, I think you are right that there is a level of snarkiness on many of the threads that is not enjoyable. I don't know why some people confuse mean-spiritedness for wit. Other than the lovely FIRE and EARTH boards, I don't really chitchat on CC. So valuable for cruise and port info though, I don't know how I ever planned a trip without it. For specific info some people are so, so helpful.

Too bad you can't get the Pantone chips. If you want, I could go to Lowe's and get them and mail them to you, it wouldn't be a problem at all :) You could join in and physically do the puzzle playing too.

I just don't have the understanding of color that you and Anita seem to have. I just try to match and see if it is warm undertoned and clear.

Thank you for such a kind offer. My friend from NJ sent them to me, so I'm very happy!

My mother was an artist, so we all painted from when we were children, but my color knowledge is very academic. I always love to hear what Anita says because she has a very practical and nuanced eye. I still have to try everything on and study it a while, and I still make a lot of mistakes.

Thank you for such a kind offer. My friend from NJ sent them to me, so I'm very happy!

My mother was an artist, so we all painted from when we were children, but my color knowledge is very academic. I always love to hear what Anita says because she has a very practical and nuanced eye. I still have to try everything on and study it a while, and I still make a lot of mistakes.

You're welcome, Margaret. Just wanted you to be able to join in :)

O, Mi. Gosh.

Linda, except for the stiff neck, don't feel too bad! :D

Except... that line about "coloring my thinking" was SO FUNNY last night,,, and... now I don't "get" it! :confused:

Wow. You know, Ladies, I'm having some CC issues; I've spoken with Anita about them. There seems to be some kind of weirdness going on with the postings here (for me) lately. I'm not talking about OUR thread; I'm just talking about CC in general. I used to enjoy reading through the posts and comments and now it seems like they are just filled with sarcasm, rancor, negativity, judgments. I'm thinking that maybe the CC "addiction" has run its course, for me.

But, I don't want to give up my relationship (even though its virtual) with the Earth and Fire ladies. I don't know; but my thought is that I'm going to turn down my visits to this forum to maybe once a week, or so. I'll be gone for the month of October, anyway.

Is anyone else feeling this way? Or, is it just me?:(

Why would you let a few ruin it? Skip the snarky threads and keep up here. We all have so much fun!

Went to Lowes and got most of the cards

Tried sorting them according to Anita's analysis

Very interesting

I am an Ice but enjoy this thread and the Earth one too

I can now see why fire ladies have a harder time with color than some of the other groups

Anita, have you done any more with the cards?

C.

I have not gotten the color cards yet. I missed the threads that began this discussion. Do you go to Pantones web site for the colors? I would like to start my own color research, but don't know how to begin. I'm old enough to remember the seasons color system, but would like to update my system.

Margee

@cruzisme and @margeecruiser!

Hi! It's so nice to have you ICE ladies joining us here for our chats and rants. I hope that everyone knows that my latest rant was really a very tongue-in-cheek, slightly inebriated (but only to the point of pure giddiness) observation? I realize that you ICE ladies shouldn't be regulated to a life of black and white clothing! And, that EARTH ladies do have some colors that can make them drop from beautiful to just a bit cute; there are some EARTH ladies who will never, ever drop below a cute rating on any scale... that's just the way it is, no bias, no prejudice...

Anyway, the Pantone cards are at your Lowe's store in the paint chip section.

So interesting to hear what you ladies think your colors might be. Your season is the one that I can confuse with mine the most. I don't really have much trouble with muted, so I don't really care if it's warm or cool... I just know that it's not for me. Of course, I'm talking about the muted that is really, truly muted... not the one that approaches bright on the scale. Anyway, it's more difficult to figure out whether a color is cool or warm, if it's bright: especially blues, yellows, greens (lime or green apple?!?).

I can see the blue undertone in the reds, so I'm usually ok with them. It's more difficult though to distinguish a coral from a raspberry (sometimes).

I took a chance on a Cache dress that was simply gorgeous. It's one of those dresses! Blue, white, cream, aqua, navy, turquoise.... pattern. I was hoping, hoping that it would work... but it didn't. I don't know how much longer it will be on the site, but here's the link:

http://www.cache.com/detail/index/?item=T5310A70254602&scolor=45

Hard to tell, but (for example) there is a white/white and a cream/white in the pattern. The belt is banded with gold hardware. Great sale price, so I took a chance and then had to return. It's a beautifully made dress! FYI. It would be interesting to know whether this dress would be good for ICE or if the warmth in some of the colors would make it "off" for you as well? One of those patterns that doesn't look good on anyone?

Come chat with us! We'd love to have you chime in.

Edited by Member123

I have not gotten the color cards yet. I missed the threads that began this discussion. Do you go to Pantones web site for the colors? I would like to start my own color research, but don't know how to begin. I'm old enough to remember the seasons color system, but would like to update my system.

Margee

Hi margeecruiser and cruzisme and welcome to the Fire thread!

Most all of us here have had our color interventions done by CJW and have his color cards. You can go here if you wish to do the same. http://fireiceearthandair.wordpress.com/internet-consultations/

Curt is very helpful and will work with you to determine your correct coloring.

Sometimes you are quite surprised with the results. I was.. all these years I thought I was an Earth and turns out- I'm FIRE! It is a work in progress for all of us..well most anyway:D Some of us have an easier understanding than the others. I'm still having a hard time with several color families..blues, grays, greens, reds, oranges... oh heck. who am I kidding... I have trouble with them all!!!!!:eek:

It is such fun (sometimes very frustrating) to go through all your wardrobe and weed out those colors that aren't in your family. All the black and white (which was quite a lot, I discoverd) from my closet and dresser drawers have been donated to charites . That lbd is gone! My closet sort of screams at me when I look in it now! Such bright, clear colors! Makes me happy!

The best thing I love about this is that I can now pull just about any piece of clothing and pair it with another piece without worrying if it will "clash". It makes it so easy to pack for traveling and also getting ready for work each day. I don't stress that I have nothing to wear, because I know that I can pair a skirt, slacks, capris, shorts, etc. with any of my tops and it will work!

Anyway back to your question... how to get the Pantone cards...these are at Lowe's in the paint section. Pull the colors you think may work for you. In your case (ICE) cool, clear colors. We FIRE gals want warm, clear colors. (Boy, I hope I got that right)

PAM~ I just love it when you post! You always make my day!

I ordered a similar dress- remember I'm looking for the perfect red dress to wear for Valentines day on our cruise next year.. this was a red print...I wanted it to work soooo badly....kept it for 3 whole days... trying on and taking photos all over the house...had DH look at it on the last day and I finally had to admit... after he looked at me and said nothing~ just kept looking, then looked some more...it did NOTHING for me...so back it went and I'm still on the hunt!!!

My Lowe's didn't have all the chips when I went so I'm missing some that Anita thinks are fire. I did take the ones I have I thought might work and photoed (is that a word?) them with the inside of my wrist and arm.. I'm still so confused it's blowing my mind..what little bit I have left!! Kim you have created a monster!!! LOL!!!

Edited by snuggles

Thanks for the welcome!

Re Cache dress-- I would wear those colors as they appear clear and bright and I am an Ice or Winter in the olden days!

So kicky--bought a great dress and will see if I can find a link.

Eggplant (deep purple) dress and it is at Macy's. :)

Welcome to the new gals :) You have joined a fun thread, we also learn a lot too!

My method for the Pantone chips---take one of each and every color:eek: It is a little embarrassing at Lowes but, I just kept my head down and quietly picked up all of the chips. I'm actually glad I got all of them as some don't seem to be as FIRE as I first thought. It''s also nice to have all of them because when we talk about different ones, I can go get that chip and have a look.

Does anyone have any thoughts/comments on the photos I posted with the chips next to the FIRE cards? Maybe we can converse a little more about different chips??????

Does anyone have any thoughts/comments on the photos I posted with the chips next to the FIRE cards? Maybe we can converse a little more about different chips??????

Kim,

I'm so far off it's not funny, but I think most of those chips work with our cards. But what do I know....

I'm sitting here at work with the Pantone Matching System color book in my hands. This swatch book is almost 2 inches of nothing but color and is used in the printing industry as the "bible" for ink mixing. Now you really want to get confused!!!!:eek:

I tried choosing the grays that I think are our color...by this process. If it has warm red -which is a basic red and "our" red- in it, I think it's ok. I did the same with the reds & yellows, but when I got to purples, blues, greens....mind blower!....But since I don't have my CJW cards here now I'm not sure. When I go home at lunch I'm gonna grab those cards and compare. Maybe I'll take this book home and try to get some photos...depends on if the guys need it here for the press.

That hampster up there is really drunk now!!! I need a drink!!!!!

I second the drunk hamster AND THE DRINK!!! Oh wait, it isn't noon. Yet!

Kim, as my daughter is fond of saying, "I got nothing." I'd love to talk more about your photos, but I don't think I'm qualified. As I posted earlier, I've put the colors in groups that I like according to depth of color. I'm so color illiterate that I'm not even sure if you call that saturation or something else! I'm not sure if I agree with some of the palest colors in your photos, but I think that may be my preference for me and not necessarily that they aren't FIRE. Then again, I"m not sure about that EITHER!!!

Maybe someone else will chime in with their thoughts....

I second the drunk hamster AND THE DRINK!!! Oh wait, it isn't noon. Yet!

Kim, as my daughter is fond of saying, "I got nothing." I'd love to talk more about your photos, but I don't think I'm qualified. As I posted earlier, I've put the colors in groups that I like according to depth of color. I'm so color illiterate that I'm not even sure if you call that saturation or something else! I'm not sure if I agree with some of the palest colors in your photos, but I think that may be my preference for me and not necessarily that they aren't FIRE. Then again, I"m not sure about that EITHER!!!

Maybe someone else will chime in with their thoughts....

Debbie, you ARE as qualified as anyone else :D Just spit out your thoughts!

I am really interested in talking about the lighter FIRE colors. I think it's easier to "see" the brighter and more saturated colors than our lighter ones. I like the more saturated colors on myself but, it's a nice change to find a light FIRE color too. I just think it's a little harder to identify since it is lighter and not sooo bright and in your face though.

Sooo, thoughts?

Beautiful shirt and bag! How fun are those? I agree that some of those colors in the shirt appear to be muted...if you stare and really look for them...LOL...that shirts reads FIRE overall to me. The bag is great...a totally fun accent. That's a new brand for me...I'm going to have to check them out.