Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

Packing for cruise in 12 days. Will try to get dictionary this time. Just hope Explorer has the antivirus eradicated by then, got it last time we cruised and don't want it again, especially since I'm getting over food poisoning which really knocked me for a loop! :eek:

OK. This is the last posting that I'm doing for the Australian cruise; like I've mentioned, we didn't do such a terrific job with the pictodiary. Sorry.

PA270953_zpsc13b5076.jpg

The top is an animal print from Cache; it's really bright, clear. The pants are also from Cache. To my eye, the color seemed to have more of a golden undertone than the camera is picking up.

This is kind of a brave picture for me to post cause it's focusing so much on my face. But, I just want everyone to see what a GREAT job I did with my sunscreen on this vacation from Hawaii thru the French Polynesian Islands to Australia and New Zealand. The New Zealanders are especially aware of the problems that they have with their ozone layer and are very conscious of sun. So, for everyone, the Blue Lizard sunscreen (from Australia) is so GOOD! I purchased the Sport Version because it has a superior ability to be water resistant; we were very zealous about applying sunscreen before we got dressed for the day and re-applying on our arms and legs. Also, I used Clarins Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ Sunscreen for Face Wrinkle Control Cream specially for my face because I didn't want to clog my pores. I put that cream on instead of my moisturizer in the morning.

PA270936_zps93b8a9f6.jpg

Also, I wore Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 during the day. Just an FYI in case anyone is looking for some sunscreen products; I really loved these and thought they did a fantastic job of protecting from some very intense rays. The Blue Lizard absorbed into the skin without leaving a white residue and without being sticky; it actually felt really good and didn't smell bad, either. So, thumbs up.

Pam, I love how adorable you look in this outfit!

Where did you find the Blue Lizard? I Need to check that stuff out. I use Neutragena right now. I break out when I use any thing else. /SIZE]

Hi, Linda, so exciting to be heading off for a cruise! I do hope that the Explorer comes up with a clean bill of health for you; I know that they do their best, but that was a vicious outbreak for sure. I'm sure that there will be a lot of deep cleaning being done; I don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere that they are bringing the ship back 2 days early so that they can really, really clean. Food poisoning?!? OMG. No fun, at all. I also read somewhere that more people get food poisoning than they realize, thinking that it's really just a flu symptom. I know, I know... I do a lot of reading.

There is a website drugstore.com that is also affiliated with beauty.com... in other words, you can order from both at the same time and receive one shipment. I think that it's affiliated somehow with Walgreens, but don't quote me on that. I found Blue Lizard on there, for a really decent price. I also have sensitive skin, but I think that you are more sensitive than I am. Anyway, there were no local suppliers of the Blue Lizard, but the orders always come very quickly from drugstore.com. I can't sing the praises of Blue Lizard enough, but I did mention that I didn't put it on my face, right? My DH did, but he has oily rather than sensitive skin and he had no reactions to it. I bought the Sport version.

You and Debbie! Cruising together at a different time and port and ship!:D Should be a wealth of pictures! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey FIRE ladies, Macy's has some great skorts in an awesome lime green, coral, khaki, and the dreaded black and white. Really cute! Very reasonable! I got the khaki ones, but I really wanted the green and am feeling righteous that I restrained myself. :)

Thanks Margaret! Wish I had a Macy's here cause I'd run right over and grab one, but it's 1 hr away and I haven't a spare minute:( cause I leave Sunday at 5am for my cruise. Packing is done but have other pressing matters to attend to.. Will have to try and check them out when I get back.

I've been to Nachi twice, so not a bunch of experience. I have a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees, so I use it whenever we travel internationally.

I looked up my records, and I'm glad that I did because now I know I'm telling you the truth as my memory was different! I paid cash at Nachi, both times, and I used USD$. You know what?!? Nachi has just recently started accepting a credit card on the day of arrival; they've always accepted credit for the deposit (how could they not?... oh, I guess they could have used a form of PayPal maybe... but...) the use of a credit card for the full payment is a new thing at Nachi.

Apparently, I've been able to use USD$ for the taxi transport to Nachi, as well. According to my records, I spent $46 for taxis, when all five of us were together, and $28 when it was just the two of us. That makes sense as I remember that we shared a taxi with someone the first time that we were there.

Anyway, I've never had to exchange USD$ for pesos; so, it's always been easier for me to just pay cash because I brought enough money for the fee and tip(s). When you disembark the ship, it's really easy to catch a taxi to Nachi and the amount for the trip is printed on a sign at the taxi queue. When you arrive at Nachi, you will be greeted and (surprise!... but not any more because I'm telling you)... a sombrero will be placed on your head and you'll get a picture taken by the Nachi photographer. Later on that day, you'll be approached by the photographer to view the picture and figure out whether you'd like to purchase. Hope I didn't ruin a lovely surprise. :eek: Leaving Nachi is super simple... just let them know and a taxi appears (along with another drink if you want) and you're off back to the ship.

I hope you have a great day. We really have enjoyed our time at Nachi and are really looking forward to our return! Hope you love Mexican food because their menu is great, if you do. If you want to order an American taste (umm, not as good), our table mates were extremely disappointed with their food selections. I agree! I sure wish that it had worked out that we were lounging around Nachi together! :D

So, Linda, was it a fun cruise? Hope you came back rested and ready to take on the rest of the winter weather until spring arrives.

I have a question, Ladies, and I need honest answers here. My oldest step-son (42) is getting married March 29. The bride's colors are black and sunbeam yellow. Bridesmaids are wearing black dresses with yellow sashes. Groom and groomsmen are wearing black. When I asked the bride what her mother and step-mother were wearing, she replied that she thought everyone would wear black since it's so easy. "Everybody's got black already." I know the mother of the groom will wear black. I don't think I've ever seen her when she wasn't wearing black and white. You see where this is headed, right? I don't want the wedding pictures to show a bride front and center in white surrounded by a sea of black and dear ole Debbie stuck in the far right corner in buttercup yellow (which would be a lovely color, by the way)! On the other hand, everyone knows what a FIRE looks like in black. At least it will match the dark circles under my eyes, I guess.

I need your honest opinion about my plan. I have ordered and received two black dresses that will be appropriate. I just need to make my decision on which to keep and which to return. DD will help with that decision. I found a long, gauzy yellow scarf with peach and coral flowers with black stems. I can tie the scarf so it substitutes as a necklace, sort of. The scarf, gold jewelry and possibly a killer shoe to round out the ensemble?

Good enough? Do you have other suggestions?

What a touchy subject Debbie!

I can feel how potentially awkward this situation is. My thoughts are like this...

It is appropriate for you to also wear black because you asked. KWIM? If you had been able to phrase your question...or if you still could phrase your question in such a way as to adhere to the colors without wearing solid black...or if you hadn't asked at all...then it would be more appropriate to wear not black. If I'm not being clear...my honest opinion is that you are now somewhat obligated to wear black, given the situation as described. The only "out" I see is if the other similarly related to the bride and groom people also have issues with wearing black...and if they were going to go for a more spring-like look in the shades of yellow category...

Which is a good point...perhaps that is something to consider...the idea that the bridal party would be more of the bumble bee set...and the relatives would be more of the shades of yellow...from cream through sunshine...and possibly black and/or khaki/tan for the male relatives. And if you feel comfortable with that concept and bringing it up...that idea could also make for some nice pictures...perhaps nicer than a sea of black. That's my personal preference though...and the bride could think totally differently.

And perhaps your entry into the idea could be along the lines of...ACTUALLY...I don't own black...I could buy it, but I don't normally wear it. What if...?

That said...the scarf idea is descent. Artfully placed, it should help with the photos and your general appearance. If you can cover all that fabric between your face/neck/shoulders and the upper limits of the dress...with that wide fabric border...it should help a lot. What will really make a difference in the photos, honestly, is the background. Mom has a photo of her wearing black where she looks absolutely FABULOUS because the background in the photo is all clear, bright warm blues and greens. Her faced ended up surrounded by that background. The 2D world can be influenced with factors such as these.

In person though...might be more difficult to overcome the effect of the black. But I understand the difficulty of the situation and I think your methodology for dealing is good.

As for the black circles under the eyes...did you see the link to the Lisa Eldridge site that I posted over on the EARTH thread. She addresses this in that video. You can dig through that site to see some great videos. Another product that has worked well for me is:

http://www.trishmcevoy.com/p-95-correct-and-brighten.aspx

There's a little video that shows how the product is used. I have this product and have used it with great success to brighten that triangle under the eyes and create a lighter area under the eyes and above the cheek bones. I think that doing contouring make up will also be a key element to looking better in the photos.

So contouring make up...this is when you take a color that is more flesh toned but darker than your natural flesh tone to create strategic shadows on your face to give your face shape. It's when you use that in the hallow of your cheeks. There could be other places too. I know you don't want to overcompensate for the black with too much make up...but this would definitely be the time to do your strategic best to enliven your face with what tools you can to not be too washed out.

Debbie. Thinking so much about your question, I think I dreamt about it! :)

So, rather than trying to do something "artful" like the scarf, which I think would still call attention to itself... but that's just me trying to visualize someone adorned in a scarf amidst a sea of black dresses... my inspiration was to try to locate a black that isn't a black... but is so, so dark in the chosen color that it could be mistaken for black. For example, the chocolate chip from Chico's is such a dark, dark brown that it can be mistaken for black... until it is placed next to a black. I think that you can find a really, really deep green that could be mistaken for black... and probably a blue. Of the three, I think that your best bet is to go for the deep chocolate.

Because.... if I recall, you really won't be involved with any of the more formal pictures taken at the wedding. Now, people may jump on me for this, and I don't know if I have a faulty memory, but I don't believe that I was ever involved with a picture of the wedding "party" consisting of bride, groom, and attendants. As I recall, we had our pictures taken with Anita... maybe with Anita and new-DH, but that was essentially "it" for formal shots. I would expect that there might be a possibility, depending upon relationships, where the Mother of the Bride might have a photo with her daughter and attendants, especially if there was a relationship with the attendants. I don't recall if I had a picture taken with Anita's bridesmaids. I won't go into a sad story about not having any wedding pictures; I won't go there. I just need to say that I don't have any pictures to refer to and refresh my memory. Of course, the day becomes something of a blur.

But, My. Point. Is that I don't think you have to concern yourself with the idea that you will be upstaging the bride in her formal photos if you don't adhere, absolutely, to the idea of dressing in black. If you could just find that ideal.. almost black, black... with a warm undertone... I think you could swing it.

Flip Side.

Since you will probably only appear in pictures with the individual groom and bride... maybe the bride's parents, if you have that relationship... then you might approach the bride with the idea of wearing the yellow that you think you'd love. I would just ask her if she responded to you about the wearing of black because she hadn't really thought that much about it and would she mind terribly if you chose to go with the yellow color instead. Just tell her that you really don't have black in your closet and that you will be searching for a dress and that you wanted to buy a special dress anyway... so, would that alter her thinking in any way about the day?... or would dressing in yellow be an acceptable alternative to her?...maybe even an ivory, golden white? it's tough to think along these lines because I don't know how informal/formal you are with the bride and whether you can have a conversation with her... or not.

If you don't want to have that conversation, then I'd begin the search for that warm-ish black that I'm envisioning.

570006634_499_zps45e0ee84.jpg

Don't know if this is appropriate. But, I think it might be able to be accessorized? It's the chocolate chip that I was discussing, in the travelers fabric. IMO, that fabric could stand up to either a more formal, or a garden type wedding. I know you don't have a bunch of time to do an exhaustive search for just the right dress! I can tell you that... individually.. and at first glance... the chocolate chip would be mistaken for black.

If this doesn't appeal to you, then let me know and I'll try to dream another approach! :D

So, Linda, was it a fun cruise? Hope you came back rested and ready to take on the rest of the winter weather until spring arrives.

I have a question, Ladies, and I need honest answers here. My oldest step-son (42) is getting married March 29. The bride's colors are black and sunbeam yellow. Bridesmaids are wearing black dresses with yellow sashes. Groom and groomsmen are wearing black. When I asked the bride what her mother and step-mother were wearing, she replied that she thought everyone would wear black since it's so easy. "Everybody's got black already." I know the mother of the groom will wear black. I don't think I've ever seen her when she wasn't wearing black and white. You see where this is headed, right? I don't want the wedding pictures to show a bride front and center in white surrounded by a sea of black and dear ole Debbie stuck in the far right corner in buttercup yellow (which would be a lovely color, by the way)! On the other hand, everyone knows what a FIRE looks like in black. At least it will match the dark circles under my eyes, I guess.

I need your honest opinion about my plan. I have ordered and received two black dresses that will be appropriate. I just need to make my decision on which to keep and which to return. DD will help with that decision. I found a long, gauzy yellow scarf with peach and coral flowers with black stems. I can tie the scarf so it substitutes as a necklace, sort of. The scarf, gold jewelry and possibly a killer shoe to round out the ensemble?

Good enough? Do you have other suggestions?

Yes, I had a Fabulous time!! DH kept me hopping though- no grass grows under his feet! Leaving home in snow and arriving in Bayonne, NJ in snow didn't stop me from enjoying the cold, windy first day. When we called DS to tell him we arrived safely, he told us we had a little over 3" of snow after we left home and he was clearing sidewalk for us. Such a good boy! LOL!!!:D

It began to warm up Tuesday in Port Canaveral..low 70's. Same for Nassau and Coco Cay. Seas were a little on the rough side, and very windy, but no bother for us...and.. we didn't get the Noro! Some did, but bypassed us this time!! :cool:

Bus trip home wasn't fun though. We hit snow about 60 miles from home and it kept getting worse, closer we got to home. Roads were awful! Bus driver did excellant job and got us to waiting DS's nice warm car while others had to clear several inches of snow from theirs and one or two needed jumps to get cars started. I'm so glad I wasn't here for all the ice and snow we got that week!

Not sure I want to do NJ port again. It takes forever to get off the ship! Anyway..I'm ready for spring to arrive!!! :(

I didn't get many phots though as I was usually taking them. DH kept forgetting to get pics of me and my "red" eyes. Can't seem to figure out what is going on there unless its the eye drops. Dr won't or can't give me any answers.

Now, my 2 cents on your dilema. I agree with Pam! Go with Chocolate or the yellow. I would simply tell the bride that if she doesn't want you looking like you belong in coffin you'd feel more comfortable wearing one of your "colors". If she is worth keeping- she'll agree! KWIM? I can be harsh a lot of the time! But really, I would not go out and buy black anything.:eek:

I took my Chico choc brown short dress for 1 of the formal nights (BTW- RCCL changed their policy about formal nights- now 7 days or less only have 1 formal night- would have been nice to know before I packed 2 dresses!) I think I have photo of that dress on. I dressed it up with rhinestone pin and earrings. Will try to get what few pics I have posted this weekend. The dress Pam posted would look really nice on you! Gold glitzy shoes, rhinestones or pearls and glitzy purse, you're good to go!:cool: IMHO

Edited by snuggles

Thank you so much for the help, Ladies.

Anita, I’ve watched the Lisa Eldridge videos but never tried to apply the techniques to my own face. My daily make-up routine is normally 5-10-done. Five products in less than ten minutes and I’m done. I’ve used under-eye correctors in the past with no luck. It surely couldn’t hurt to show a little extra attention to detail, so I’ll try your suggestion.

I didn’t give nearly enough details about the wedding in question. This will be a small event (I think) held inside an event space of our local state resort park in the early afternoon. My husband, #2 step-son and our youngest son are groomsmen (wearing black). My daughter will be wearing black since my two year-old grandson is the ringbearer (wearing black) and she may need to walk him down the aisle. Her husband will be wearing a black suit. My granddaughter is a flower girl (white with yellow sash). Groom will be wearing black and his mother will be wearing black. Groom’s grandmother will be wearing black. Bride’s attendants will be wearing black with yellow sashes. Bride says she’s not sure if it will be knee-length or floor-length but her mother and step-mother plan to wear black. I really like this girl. She is a gem. She means it when she says that I am welcome to wear whatever color, style and length of dress that I choose. But……..do you see my dilemma? I have no way of knowing what friends of the bride and groom may be wearing, but literally every family member will be wearing black where I might potentially be included in a wedding photo, including my husband.

I like the idea of the chocolate chip color, Pam. I have chocolate chip dress pants and my favorite Chicos travelers top is a predominately chocolate chip pattern. I’m afraid that it will still be obviously NOT BLACK for any family pictures that are taken. DD says I should just suck it up and wear the black. I guess I’ve nearly decided that is what I must do. I think at this point, I need artful camouflage of the dreaded black.

I think I may have dreamed up another approach today. I am sorry for the links, but I’m pictorially challenged when it comes to posting pictures. Here are the two dresses that I’ve ordered that flatter the most and work as possibilities:

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi31863&rootCategory=cat70008&catId=cat80018&sortKey=Default&section=Regular&conceptIdUnderSale=cat70008

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi32084&rootCategory=cat70008&catId=cat80018&sortKey=Default&section=Regular&conceptIdUnderSale=cat70008

I also ordered a jacket thinking that I might actually need it for warmth for this March wedding. I could slip it off for the pictures or I would be able to keep the jacket on during the event and during pictures if other members of the immediate families choose patterns of black and white or include other colors in their ensembles. This jacket will work with the first dress, but looks a little boxy with the second dress because of the flared skirt. The metallic is very shiny gold but looks camel-colored in the pictures. It is overall a very complementary color:

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi31784&rootCategory=cat90030&catId=cat80008&sortKey=Default&section=Sale&conceptIdUnderSale=cat90030

Please, please let me know what you think. Am I making too much out of the entire world wearing black for this wedding? Should I just be the big bad step-mother and wear something totally right for me but at odds with the world? This is the exact spot that has made me a bowl of mush for 39 years now. Always wanting to do the right thing and always thinking that I'm doing the completely wrong thing.

Oh, I was preparing my long post of excuses and explanations, Linda, and missed your post until now.

Ordinarily I would agree with Linda. Do what I want and let the chips fall where they may, but I've straddled this little step-mother fence for 39 years now and I will second-guess every single decision I make until the day I die!

I haven't taken tags from anything purchased and can return it all. Please let me know whether the extra information I included about the wedding attendee attire changes your minds or not. I'm not trying to persuade you. I truly want your opinions. This "all black but wear what you want to" is a true dilemna for me.

Well, Debbie...I don't know that I am the best one to continue to offer advice. First...I'm just not that experienced. Did everyone finally hit an age when they realized that they DON'T know it all? LOL. I'm there. I definitely do NOT know it all...I know what I know...and in many many things, I don't know enough.

But I can share how I am dealing with situations these days where I am faced with the dilemma that is...what should I do?

And I've read this somewhere...or seen it in a movie...it's not a hard decision. In fact, you've already made the decision. What is hard is that you are somewhat fighting with yourself about the decision that you have already made...at least, this is the way that I see it. It feels like you have already made the decision to wear the black, but you aren't happy with that decision...because you know that you won't look your best...and I sense that this wouldn't be a big deal, except for the fact that photos will capture this moment when you aren't at your best...and this has you rather down because you know more than you've known in the past and you care...but at the same time...if I understand you AT ALL...there's a part of you that is like...what does it really matter? Does it really matter if you don't look your best? But you've been in pursuit of this "goal" of looking your best by wearing good colors for years now...and to purposefully BUY something that goes against everything that we have all been striving for for so long now...well...that doesn't seem right.

So, Debbie...I really get the dilemma. Maybe. :rolleyes:

And here's what I have to say about that...

When you think about the person that you aspire to be. The very best version of you...what does that person do?

And do that. Whatever that is.

Thanks, Anita. You've helped more than I could have possibly dreamed. The best version of me would suck it up and wear the black. I knew when I began explaining my decision that I had, in fact, made a decision. I suppose I wanted to make sure there wasn't a good enough reason to wear what I preferred instead of what was necessary for this situation. I just couldn't figure out why I was at war with myself so much, I guess.

Thanks for the clarity. I can move on now.

This has been an interesting conversation to read and watch. For whatever reason, I can agree with all of the posts either for or against. I see both sides. It seems like sometimes I'm a conformist and sometimes a rebel. Just depends on the situation and my mood I guess:eek:

Glad you have it settled now, Debbie. Now, don't forget to post a picture ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would give everyone an update about the MOB dress. I received a text yesterday from the bride to be. This a direct quote, "Oh, my mom got a dress for the wedding,,,she went with blue,,,for some reason haha and it is long"

So glad the tags are still on those black dresses. They are going back!

Chocolate brown dress? You are going to a wedding! Happy dance! Happy dance!

I thought I would give everyone an update about the MOB dress. I received a text yesterday from the bride to be. This a direct quote, "Oh, my mom got a dress for the wedding,,,she went with blue,,,for some reason haha and it is long"

So glad the tags are still on those black dresses. They are going back!

Chocolate brown dress? You are going to a wedding! Happy dance! Happy dance!

Debbie,

I'm sorry that I haven't been following along, but I'm so happy to read this update before I tried to give you MOB advice.

Yay!

I've got another MOB "gig" coming in June. So relieved I finally found some dress options.

Gotta Run, DH just back from long weekend in Canada!

Jane

• 2 weeks later...
Do you like these glasses?

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7%3B64%3Dot%3E2829%3D99%3A%3D547%3D373899%3A45634%3Bnu0mrj

mG2cRVx2RKLRFidWXm2dafw.jpg

Hi Joby,

I think the colour is lovely on you, really brings out the warm tones and picks up some lowlights in your hair. However, I think the lens area is perhaps just sliiiiiiightly too large/curved on the lower angle. It looks from the picture they may just brush your cheeks, especially with a wide smile!

I would recommend a more oval shape. However, of course if you are a varifocal/bifocal/digressive lens wearer the will give you great reading area sizes.

(I work in training and development for an optical retailer, so this is my bag!)

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for your reply :) I HATE to choose new glasses. I'm blind as a bat and can't see what I look like without pictures . It sounds like you are in a good field to give suggestions!

This Kate Spade pair seems to fit most of the needs I have in glasses--it has a really small bridge, has nose pads so they're adjustable, is a good FIRE color and is smaller than many of the frames out there so my progressives fit well. They're actually bigger than my current pair and the newer styles seem to be running larger.

I love all the cute plastic frames but, they are not usually a good fit for me, especially since they can't be adjusted.

Just hoping for some opinions and/or suggestions from everyone :) Thanks again, Rachel.

I just had one of the most frustrating visits with my BFF. I've known this woman from the time that Anita was crawling, so quite a long time! We communicate well and I can tell her anything and vice versa.

So.... I showed her my pictodiary through the years that I posted here, so that she could get an understanding of the effect of color. AND, she totally got the difference in my pictures and how younger I look when wearing the right color. BUT, she couldn't help herself; she has a very difficult time being anything but complimentary to me so she told me that I looked like a young, college student standing in front of the Arc de Triomphe and a travel writer in the picture of me in my black standing in front of the Plymouth steps! She's so funny and really a lift to my spirits.

Anyway... the frustration set in for me when she asked me what I thought HER colors should be. OMG. So difficult. I just couldn't do it! The only thing that I could definitely tell is that she's NOT Ice! Other than that... :(, I just couldn't help her. Now, what came out of our visit is that she's going to dress in color and get away from her black/white/gray dressing that she had fallen into. Honestly, you'd think by now... that I could have been a bit more helpful. I'm so disappointed that I couldn't.

so... Kim... I think the glasses are FUN. And, I love the hint of the green on the frame. If I would express a concern to you, it would only be that I'm wondering how the effect of the green is casting a shadow on your eye area; I might be seeing something that isn't there... so I would suggest that you take some close up shots of the glasses in specific light situations and make sure that the green isn't casting a shadow on your eye area that would make it look bruised. I can't tell if I'm seeing something there or maybe it's the casting of the dark due to the black words on the glass itself? I zoomed in on the picture and just see some slight coloration... but maybe it's my monitor or the picture?...

As far as the frame color? I think it's beautiful on you. I LOVE your hair color! The highlights and lowlights are gorgeous. All in all, I think the glasses are very complementary to you.