Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

Hi girls,

Here is a link to our "keeper" photos. There are a little over 400, so be prepared :)

I still have to post the last of our trip report and I'm going to do that this weekend.

I've noticed how many are reading this thread now but not commenting. I wonder why???? Please say something good or bad. You guys are kind of freaking me out :eek:

https://plus.google.com/photos/106816041713365180641/albums/6055379437698967089

Awww, Kim. Don't freak out. Lots of people are like me and just want to visit Tanzania vicariously, maybe? Some of the other threads have many more views than ours. I remember that it was almost a year of reading the CJW thread so long ago, before I even joined as a member to comment. I was so scared to put myself out there. I usually just think that people are shy. Or having a grand ole time reading my accent. And a good laugh because I always imagine that it comes across on paper too. Heck, I still haven't commented 400 times yet and I joined in 2005! Either way, it's all good, right?

Finish us up in style, friend. And, Thanks again for taking us to Africa! --Debbie

Edited by aoknkentucky

Hi Joby - I am one of those "lurkers" and have so enjoyed reading about your adventure (something I will probably never do) and envy your talent for giving us all a view into yours. I will admit to being tempted many times to comment on something on this and the Earth thread but am a chicken, lol.

Bev

Hi Joby - I am one of those "lurkers" and have so enjoyed reading about your adventure (something I will probably never do) and envy your talent for giving us all a view into yours. I will admit to being tempted many times to comment on something on this and the Earth thread but am a chicken, lol.

Bev

A BIG WELCOME, Bev!!!!!! I'm so glad you posted. It really is kind of creeping me out to see the numbers raising quite a bit every day on the thread but very few comments. Join in at anytime on the FIRE thread and I'm sure the EARTH thread girls would say the same :)

Debbie,

So glad you chimed in and look where it has gotten you :D Remember your daughter's phone call at the meet & greet :eek:

Well, here is the last chapter of my trip report :(

In my last trip post above I included a link to all of our photos that made the final cut.

It really seems like the trip is over now. I've finished the trip report, culled the photos, we have finished our malaria prophylaxis and now this post.

I hope everyone has enjoyed the report--even those who are reading and not posting (yes, it is still creeping me out but, Bev, DID post! Thanks again Bev :D ).

Monday, August 4—

Our flight DAR-IST was a nice smooth one. We had a 3 hour layover in Istanbul. We used it to good advantage. We looked around the airport shops and ate our weight in Turkish Delight candies. We were totally addicted to them! There were lots of free samples too. It was an interesting airport to people watch in. People watching is one of our favorite things to do.

The flight IST-ORD was about 30 minutes late leaving. No problem though as we made it up in the air. That leg of our flight was about 11 hours long. That’s a long time to be on an airplane! The food was quite decent for airplane food. The service was fine too. As I mentioned earlier in the report, we would fly Turkish Air again if the price was right. We really had no problems what-so-ever on the flights, the food was decent, even the Turkish wine we had was ok for an airplane wine (MUCH better than the swill KLM served on our flights the last trip to Tanzania!). We had no problems in the airport at Istanbul and the arrival/departure times of the flights actually worked to our advantage. All in all, a great value for our money.

The only real problem we had with flights was when we arrived back to ORD. Our connection to IND was delayed, so we ran to the desk to see if we could get on the flight that was ready to leave at that moment. The kind gate agent allowed us to board that flight and they even held it for a few minutes to let her get the paperwork done. The original flight ended up being 4 hours late departing which would have meant we would have arrived at home around 3 am! So, we were quite fortunate that we got on the earlier flight!

How wonderful is it to arrive home and sleep in one’s own surroundings and bed???? Heaven!

After a long trip like this, it’s a bit hard to readjust to things and time back at home, we think. For one, we have to cook our own meals now—bummer. But, oh, what memories we have!

Gathering up thoughts on the trip—

Simon King of EASTCO (East African Safari and Touring Company) provided a wonderful safari trip for us right from the beginning. He was always there to answer my questions, provide guidance and suggestions. He is extremely knowledgeable about Tanzania and its people. Simon can really provide a wonderful off-the-beaten track trip! The trip was tailored to fit us, our budget, our desires and our travel style so well. He did a great job and EASTCO was a perfect fit for us. Many thanks, Simon!

James, our guide on the trip, was just fantastic! As has been noted throughout the report, he was widely knowledgeable about animals, habitats & behaviors, and a great birder. He answered my unending questions, was patient, unflappable, a great mechanic and driver on the rough roads, a “chin wagger”, funny, intelligent and just a perfect fit for us. He became our friend. James is a special person and we are so grateful to have been paired with him on our safari! Thanks, James!

Michael, our cook and assistant on the trip, was another great addition to our “team”. He cooked & served us good meals, especially the avocado dessert he made especially for us. He always asked if there was anything else we wanted or needed. We didn’t get sick on the trip—thanks Michael for helping with that! Michael was quiet but, gradually got used to all of the “chin wagging” going on and joined in. As I noted also, he and my husband were the quiet ones and balanced out James and me. Great job, Michael!

For anyone considering going to the southern parks—just do it. They are wild, beautiful, less crowded, have awesome landscapes, sunsets and sunrises, fantastic animals and are just off-the-beaten track. A fly out and drive back trip was another great addition to our safari. We saw and experienced so many special moments that fly-in safari goers would miss. Obviously, not everyone has the luxury of time or desire to do a driving trip but, for those who do, it’s not to be missed.

Our first safari to the north was a “trip-of-a-lifetime” how can that be topped? It can’t but, our trip to the southern parks was equally as good and a different experience. Coupled together, the northern circuit and the southern circuit make for a stupendous overview of the wonderful country of Tanzania!

Thanks to all!

Debbie, I had never thought to read your posts with a southern accent until meeting you...or rather...right when Mom and I were thinking about such things on the road to meet you. And now...I totally hear your voice when I read your posts...Kim's too.

Don't freak out Kim. I haven't been paying attention to the views and the change in the views since you've been posting...but I know that there are a lot of people that just read along...You have written a wonderful tale of your trip. It's easy to picture being there with you and what all would really be involved in such a trip.

Personally, I'm in awe of all the planning that had to go into that trip. I can't wait to talk more about that when we meet again. You must have had some idea of where you wanted to go from having been there before. But still. That must have been a huge investment in time and research to plan.

Hey Bev! I will speak for the EARTH thread...feel free to comment and join the conversation at any time. I think a few others have recently come out of the wood work over there. I'll repeat myself...recognizing that it can be hard to join in on such an established thread...the Seasons ladies have been talking for over 4 years now! But we are a friendly bunch and like hearing fresh voices. :)

That's funny, Anita. I hear the voices all the time too! It just makes it that much more like really talking when we post online.

There was a lot of planning but much more research into the areas that we were visiting. Tanzania is a HUGE country and the various areas can vary greatly. I like to "know" as much as I can about a place when I visit. I don't like the discovery method of travel--too great a chance I'll miss something I would have loved to see if I had know about it :eek:

I sent you an email about our sewing project, did you get it?

Kim, I'm one of the many who've been following your trip report without commenting. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful trip, and doing so in such an engaging manner. I truly enjoyed it and it makes me want to go to Africa all the more.

Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong because when I click the link to your photos it just takes me to the Google sign-in screen. I would love to be able to see them. That first set you posted was spectacular!

Kim, the second link works for me...but I have a google account that I'm signed into?

I've got the photos open in another tab...and I just had to come right back here and say...are you wearing an Athleta skirt in the airport? Is that a skort or a skirt? I have a skirt that I think is just like that one. Sometimes, I have a hard time figuring out what to wear with it because the material throws me off and I wonder about how well it really goes. Seeing your photo though...wow, Kim...I just love that combination of that shirt and skirt. That shirt is so fabulous on you, too! How cool is that to find such a great FIRE print!

The airport shots are fantastic...OMG the plane and the rainbow!

Your eye for a photo is awesome. I know that you said that you have to take so many to get the one...but even so...I'm thinking that you have a wonderful artistic eye! I'm looking at the chickens (not cage free!) and the following photo of the clothes line, which prompted me to say this.

OH! Love the bird in the tree!

The first one...where you can see the black bird and the colors of the leaves in the trees...

OK...now that I see the baby elephant, I realize...as I did already...that I need to reread your report and match up with photos...I was thinking that with the city...but now I know...but tonight, I'm just going to enjoy the photos.

So I love the aqua shirt on you. And the convertible pants are awesome. So handy. I also have a pair and they are so useful. But Kim, why the sandals and socks? I'm not saying anything about the look...I'm seriously wondering why you went for sandals instead of closed toed shoes...and with your hair back in this photo of you and DH, I totally get how the headband would be so handy. I wish I could have gotten that done for you! Ah well...for next time, you'll have them.

I enjoy the elephants, but I must love birds...that bird on that the bird following the elephants. Wow.

How did you get the picture of the night sky?!?! WOW!!! What were the settings on your camera?

Yay! Butt shot!

Ok...have to continue tomorrow...or rather, later today. :o

Thanks so much again for sharing Kim!!

Hi Sally,

Glad you told me that you are reading along. Please join in the FIRE thread anytime! We are a welcoming bunch, as Anita says too.

I'm glad a few of you have told me that you are reading along. I am going to try not to be so freaked out by the others who are reading and not posting :)

Kim, the second link works for me...but I have a google account that I'm signed into?

I've got the photos open in another tab...and I just had to come right back here and say...are you wearing an Athleta skirt in the airport? Is that a skort or a skirt? I have a skirt that I think is just like that one. Sometimes, I have a hard time figuring out what to wear with it because the material throws me off and I wonder about how well it really goes. Seeing your photo though...wow, Kim...I just love that combination of that shirt and skirt. That shirt is so fabulous on you, too! How cool is that to find such a great FIRE print!

Yep, an Athleta skort. I think it skews way to the EARTH side but, it's a wonderful skort and travels sooo well, that on it goes :)

I love that shirt--it has been one of my very favorite pieces of clothing. I also have it in a dress! Yes, the same material in a dress. I LOVE it too.

So I love the aqua shirt on you. And the convertible pants are awesome. So handy. I also have a pair and they are so useful. But Kim, why the sandals and socks? I'm not saying anything about the look...I'm seriously wondering why you went for sandals instead of closed toed shoes...and with your hair back in this photo of you and DH, I totally get how the headband would be so handy. I wish I could have gotten that done for you! Ah well...for next time, you'll have them.

Now, about those sandals and socks.... I told my DH every time I wore them how geeky it looked but, and here is a big but, when we were in the Land Rover, I always wore sandals because they slip off easily and then I could stand up on the seats without getting them dirty. BUT, in the mornings and evenings there are mosquitoes out and they can carry malaria, so I always wore my mosquito repellant socks with the sandals until the morning got warmer (or in the evening until we went to bed) and the mosquitoes didn't bite. So, they looked goofy but, served a good purpose :(

I wore my hiking boots when we walked most anywhere in the bush.

So I love the aqua shirt on you.

I wore that aqua shirt a lot, it seems like every photo of me, I have that on. I really did have other clothes but, not always photos in them. It was a great shirt. It was quick dry material, had some seaming so that it had a great fit and I also got it on clearance a couple of years ago for about $4 at Old Navy. It went on our first trip to Tanzania too :)

Your eye for a photo is awesome. I know that you said that you have to take so many to get the one...but even so...I'm thinking that you have a wonderful artistic eye! I'm looking at the chickens (not cage free!) and the following photo of the clothes line, which prompted me to say this.

What a nice compliment, Anita. When I see something, I have this instantaneous picture in my mind of what I want in the photo but, I can't always get it snapped that way. On one hand, I wish I had more experience with camera equipment but, on the other hand, I really don't want to put THAT much time into it. I love taking photos though!

but I must love birds

I love the birds too! Tanzania's birds are just fantastic. So many species and the colors are just breathtaking. Now, if those birds would just sit still....

I need to do some more research. I've been paying special attention to the way that the women are wearing the fabric as skirts. It doesn't even look like they have sewed it in any way. It's just wrapped around them. And at times, it looks like it is in layers too. Wear a simple shirt or even dress (old fashioned shift i.e. historical romance novels) with fabric wrapped at waist level and then another overlayer wrapped above the bust.

And I see how they don't remove the edge. I'll need to really check this out. It makes me think though, that our pattern, the wrap around skirt will be such a perfect thing to do with your fabric...I'm going to revisit the whole way of laying out the pattern...now that I see the fabric in action.

So glad you have enjoyed it, Linda. It was really a nice way to relive the trip for me.

Margaret, I'm not sure I looked my best :eek: the lack of sleep and the totally different time zone were not kind to us. I don't think I saw my eyes for days they were so puffy :) But, we WERE having the time of our lives!

I'm glad the second link worked for everyone. I'm rather technologically challenged.

Anita,

Most of the Tanzanian women wear kangas wrapped like that. They do many times leave the edging on the material. I'm not sure I want that though. This is going to be exciting, isn't it?

You watch football? I'm wondering at you being online still...and then I thought, Indy is playing...Peyton too...we are watching. Peyton is our Fantasy QB...Go Peyton!!

At the meet, it seemed like you were kind of keen on that edge staying on...so let me know how you feel about that. I'm thinking of making a muslin mock of the skirt and sending it to you for a fitting. The fabric is just too precious to take any chances. And remember, we are doing the 2 different versions of the same skirt...so that's no big thing to do to be sure that we are happy with the final product. The muslin fabric is super cheap and will perform somewhat like yours...it's a woven...more flexible...more lightweight...but otherwise...very similar.

Hey everyone!

I heard from Mom a bit. She gets however many minutes of complementary internet service due to her loyalty status. Long ago we established an exclusive email address for our communications. No one else knows it and so she doesn't have to sort through a bunch of email (or use up valuable internet time downloading the same...). She writes when the mood strikes and I write her.

All that to say that I did post a comment from her observations of formal night over on the EARTH thread...

This struck me as a funny and so I thought I would just post this here...

From her latest email:

"Sailing with Europeans is interesting. Makes you realize just how "puritanical" Americans can behave. One woman got out of the Solarium pool (the adult... Well, 16+ area)... She just completely removed all of her clothing and showered nude at the shower-off area. Jaw dropping display. Not a young woman either as evidenced by the hiney wrinkles. Oh well. Wonder how many times she will do that before someone alerts someone who has to tell her it's inappropriate."

Hey everyone!

I heard from Mom a bit. She gets however many minutes of complementary internet service due to her loyalty status. Long ago we established an exclusive email address for our communications. No one else knows it and so she doesn't have to sort through a bunch of email (or use up valuable internet time downloading the same...). She writes when the mood strikes and I write her.

All that to say that I did post a comment from her observations of formal night over on the EARTH thread...

This struck me as a funny and so I thought I would just post this here...

From her latest email:

"Sailing with Europeans is interesting. Makes you realize just how "puritanical" Americans can behave. One woman got out of the Solarium pool (the adult... Well, 16+ area)... She just completely removed all of her clothing and showered nude at the shower-off area. Jaw dropping display. Not a young woman either as evidenced by the hiney wrinkles. Oh well. Wonder how many times she will do that before someone alerts someone who has to tell her it's inappropriate."

Oh my!:eek: That is to funny. Pam has a "butt shot" to remember...just not in print form! Yep, leave it to the Europeans!:o

Oh my, someone actually undressed and showered right there? That takes an awful lot of....confidence. And chutzpah. Memories are made of things like this, right? I can't wait to hear Pam tell us all about her cruise.

I'm loving all of those pictures, and your commentary to go with it, Kim. I can't imagine doing a trip like this - it is so different! What is next on our agenda?

As you know, I have 4 days coming up on Enchantment to Nassau and Cococay. Next May is the cruise that will be a bit different, as we are sailing from San Diego to Catalina Island, San Francisco, and Victoria. Our cruise ends in Vancouver. I will need to bring along some very different attire, as I've been told to expect some cool weather, and possibly more rain than I usually encounter on a cruise. Since we have 4 full seasons of weather here in central NY, I feel pretty well prepared.

Welcome, Melody :) please join in anytime!

Glad you all liked the photos. It is so hard to get good ones! I'm always excited and trying to catch the action quickly and messing with the camera and a very few settings and it's hard to make those darn animals sit still while I take their photo:D

Overall, I think the photos came out pretty well.

Laurie, so glad you have enjoyed my long winded journey. It was just a spectacular trip and words and even photos don't do it justice! I'm afraid we won't be able to afford to go back anytime soon, how I wish though. Next summer we are going to Cozumel to dive. We aren't getting any younger and one never knows when something might come up and end our diving days--illness, health conditions, etc. after that our next big trip is going to be Ireland. Your cruises sound fun. We've never been to the West coast before.

Isn't Pam's story hilarious???? Can you imagine someone doing that onboard a ship, regardless of their nationality?? I hope Pam has lots of photos.