My review of Sapphire Beach & Paradise Point

mitsugirly

I was using a Canon D10 point and shoot. It's heaven (and I'm ad slr girl :)). This cruise, I'm not even going to bother bringing my slr with me. This camera does a great job in both daylight, underwater and night. :D

Love this camera. ;)

Mitsugirly, thank you for your review of Sapphire beach. Because of your review we went there on our visit to St Thomas a couple weeks ago. We loved it! I loved the view of so many islands and the young adults appreciated the opportunity to snorkel.

Thanks

Mitsugirly, thank you for your review of Sapphire beach. Because of your review we went there on our visit to St Thomas a couple weeks ago. We loved it! I loved the view of so many islands and the young adults appreciated the opportunity to snorkel.

Thanks

You are VERY welcome. Glad you enjoyed it. Do you have any pictures you'd like to add and share? I would love to see some. :D

After reading this thread and the positive recommendations from several posters I decided to give Sapphire a try just this past week while during our port stop on Allure. What I found was disappointing:(...the beach itself is OK and the view is very nice but still pales in comparison to Trunk Bay in St John. The facilities are in disrepair...and in contrary to a post that the resort is under renovation it's actually the opposite....they are in a dispute and I was told the resort has been going downhill for a couple years now. The bathrooms are simply disgusting....the ceiling is fallen in and it's gross. There is the "dive shop" although i don't know that I would call it that where you get snorkel equipment and they sell snacks, beers and soda...very simple and the people running it were a bit sketch at best. The taxi ride was $11 per...I was easily able to get an enclosed private taxi both directions...but do keep in mind this is slow season and we were the only ship in port.....in total with tip it was $100 RT for 4 of us. Took about 30 minutes thru a very hilly winding route. Snorkeling was just OK, lots of fish but dead coral all over.... honestly Grand Cayman and even Cozumel blow it away in the snorkeling dept....I have had better snorkeling in Paradise Island at Nassau. It also didn't take long till we were inundated with tour groups from the ship that kicked up tons of muck....along with the tour guide screaming for people to stay off the coral. There is a very nice girl that comes around and takes drink orders....she also takes food orders however apparently she cooks the orders also, since after she took peoples food orders she disappeared and i never saw her return before we left. We ended up staying only a couple hours and returned to the ship by 1:30 for lunch.

To summarize....I wouldn't bother to return to Sapphire....I didn't feel it was anywhere worth the $128 total for taxi fare and chair rental for 4 people...honestly, I wouldn't return if it were free.....really just not what I expected.

BTW....it was also very rocky both entering and exiting the water.

Edited by bajathree
added more info

Thanks

fern1226 I am tracking you down for a review of Natural Wonders Tour in PR. I was reading reviews and noticed you were planning on using them. If you did could you fill me in with details on how you liked your tour.

Ill be there end of Sept may go back to Emerald Beach

it is less then a mile from where The OASIS docks a $4 cab ride or can walk

I loved it

The concierge on Allure asked me the morning of St Thomas where I was going.....when I said Sapphire Beach he looked at me kind of funny and said...."you know Emerald Beach is only a 5 minute taxi ride away and very nice"....I should have listened to him.

Thanks for the current information about Sapphire Beach. We were planning on going there (through RCCL) but after reading your review I have some doubts.

IF you had a choice between Sapphire and Magen's Beach, which would you do. Unfortunately there will be 5 ships in port when we arrive on the Allure.

RCCL doesn't offer an excursion to Emerald Beach so we're hesitant about going there "on our own" and getting back to the ship on time. We're always worried about getting a taxi from the beach back to the ship.

Any further advice will be appreciated.

island284

After reading this thread and the positive recommendations from several posters I decided to give Sapphire a try just this past week while during our port stop on Allure. What I found was disappointing:(...the beach itself is OK and the view is very nice but still pales in comparison to Trunk Bay in St John. The facilities are in disrepair...and in contrary to a post that the resort is under renovation it's actually the opposite....they are in a dispute and I was told the resort has been going downhill for a couple years now. The bathrooms are simply disgusting....the ceiling is fallen in and it's gross. There is the "dive shop" although i don't know that I would call it that where you get snorkel equipment and they sell snacks, beers and soda...very simple and the people running it were a bit sketch at best. The taxi ride was $11 per...I was easily able to get an enclosed private taxi both directions...but do keep in mind this is slow season and we were the only ship in port.....in total with tip it was $100 RT for 4 of us. Took about 30 minutes thru a very hilly winding route. Snorkeling was just OK, lots of fish but dead coral all over.... honestly Grand Cayman and even Cozumel blow it away in the snorkeling dept....I have had better snorkeling in Paradise Island at Nassau. It also didn't take long till we were inundated with tour groups from the ship that kicked up tons of muck....along with the tour guide screaming for people to stay off the coral. There is a very nice girl that comes around and takes drink orders....she also takes food orders however apparently she cooks the orders also, since after she took peoples food orders she disappeared and i never saw her return before we left. We ended up staying only a couple hours and returned to the ship by 1:30 for lunch.

To summarize....I wouldn't bother to return to Sapphire....I didn't feel it was anywhere worth the $128 total for taxi fare and chair rental for 4 people...honestly, I wouldn't return if it were free.....really just not what I expected.

Aww, so sorry to hear you did not have a good time. I guess everyone has a different opinion, and of course things can change over night with hurricanes and the amount of people there along with vendors and such.

As I said in my review, we did not use any of the facilities...so I could not comment on those. I just know what the beach was like and the reefs. They were beautiful when we were there with TONS of different kinds of fish. I went there because of so many other people suggesting it and after them naming the different types of fish experienced there, I had to go. I wasn't disappointed.

I've never been to Trunk Bay, so can not compare.

I'm not sure why you say the people running the place they rent snorkeling equipment is sketchy?? They were extremely friendly and had wonderful cold drinks for a good price. When they rented us the equipment, they didn't even ask for any ID or anything. We could have just walked away with their equipment, which was more expensive than what we gave them to rent (but would never do that). They rented to us on trust that we would return them. Very friendly bunch running it that day.

There were no "tour" groups there the day we were there that's for sure. There was hardly anyone on the beach (as you could see in my pictures posted). When we were snorkeling over the huge area with coral (right in front of the sapphire resort, we were there with only 1 other couple. There were other people swimming in the water (were the sand was). And there were 4 ships in port that day!!! (3 of them being the biggest ships made at that time).

Not sure why it was "rocky" both entering and exiting the water??? Only if you tried to enter where the coral was, which was next to impossible because you would be standing on top of it and your body out of the water. Maybe you were at a different location on Sapphire than we were. There was PLENTY of nothing but sandy areas for swimming. There were little sections of coral here and there along the beach, then there was the huge coral area in front of the resort area we were dropped off, which had the amazing snorkeling. You can tell in my pictures all the sandy areas.

Here's a picture that shows all the sandy area...no coral or rocks upon entering...only certain spots here and there:

1017703816_D86ji-M.jpg

Tons of sandy area here as well. All these people are swimming there. You can tell where the coral is. Definitely not a rocky entrance or exit.

1017714759_MA7YD-M.jpg

So, really unsure about where you might have been on Sapphire. :confused:

I do understand that people have different opinions and expectations. That's what makes everyone unique and I like that. We were in St Martin the day before St Thomas and everyone had recommended going to Orient Beach because it was so beautiful and breathtaking. It was nice, but I didn't think it was anything spectacular. I wouldn't go back. It didn't "wow" me.

I wouldn't hesitate going back to Sapphire. But I do like to experience different places recommended by those who suggest them here. I may have to try Trunk Bay in the future. :D

We went to Sapphire beach last January. It was Ok. the place is in need of repair. I have been to Magen's Bay and the beach was ok. We like Coki beach for the snorkling, but it can get crowded when alot of ships are in port.

Coki was actually my first choice when I started researching where to go. Then right before we were to leave for vacation, the shooting of the cruise passenger happened there in front of Coki. I started doing my research and read how everyone said that there was a lot of shady characters at Coki, drug dealings all over the place, fights breaking out, cops not doing anything about it, blood stains on walls in the run down bathrooms, weeds everywhere...well, a lot of complaints. That's when I decided it wasn't for us. (Although I'm realistic and know that this can happen anywhere, there were just too many complaints for me to feel comfortable). I do hear there is AWESOME snorkeling there. Hopefully their clean up efforts at Coki has continued. I'd love to visit there some day. :)

I'm not really surprised you didn't like it. I have read some of your beach reports and I realize you enjoy higher-end facilities and services, and honestly, Sapphire would not meet those criteria. However, my family really enjoyed it.

As far as taxis go, since St. Martin/St. Thomas operate their taxis as shuttle services, and do not seem oriented towards customer service, I do not feel the need to tip as they are not handling my luggage. (And I am most definitely a tipper)

Facilities, yes, the lobby looks 'under construction/renovation' but I was trying to paint a picture rather than anything else (ie suggest improvements are imminently at hand or even in progress). This did not bother us once we got onto the beach because we expected it to look like that.

I thought the 'sketchy' guys at the rental were really nice, lol.

Our bar server (the girl from NY?) was really helpful. She did tell us to order early as things get backed up, and we did. We had no problems getting drinks and food and she stopped back several times.

The woman's bathroom was fine but as I noted, no TP or soap so come prepared. I didn't go into the mens' room :o

As mistugirly noted, there are lots of sandy areas of beach. Do you mean the shells at the surf's edge? Otherwise I don't understand the rocky entrance part.

We had 1 or 2 tour groups come onto the beach during our stay but it was empty to begin with so it didn't affect us. We had plenty of beach real estate (and I'm from NJ so assertive about that lol) and more than enough room to swim unimpeded.

I'm glad you posted your review because it does provide the cruiser looking for a higher-end beach break some perspective. My kids all voted this their favorite part of the cruise, so everyone's experience is different.

Edited by marci22

Coki was actually my first choice when I started researching where to go. Then right before we were to leave for vacation, the shooting of the cruise passenger happened there in front of Coki. I started doing my research and read how everyone said that there was a lot of shady characters at Coki, drug dealings all over the place, fights breaking out, cops not doing anything about it, blood stains on walls in the run down bathrooms, weeds everywhere...well, a lot of complaints. That's when I decided it wasn't for us. (Although I'm realistic and know that this can happen anywhere, there were just too many complaints for me to feel comfortable). I do hear there is AWESOME snorkeling there. Hopefully their clean up efforts at Coki has continued. I'd love to visit there some day. :)

Our taxi driver drove us to Coki first by accident. The area could indeed be described as shady/sketchy. Lots of adult men sitting around smoking/hanging out. Very poor area, dirty, littered. You could see people on the beach from the street below so this atmosphere is -right there-.

Cab driver said that the young people came to this beach for the ganja. ok.

If we had started out there, I wouldn't have gotten out of the car.

I'm not really surprised you didn't like it. I have read some of your beach reports and I realize you enjoy higher-end facilities and services, and honestly, Sapphire would not meet those criteria. However, my family really enjoyed it.

As far as taxis go, since St. Martin/St. Thomas operate their taxis as shuttle services, and do not seem oriented towards customer service, I do not feel the need to tip as they are not handling my luggage. (And I am most definitely a tipper)

Facilities, yes, the lobby looks 'under construction/renovation' but I was trying to paint a picture rather than anything else (ie suggest improvements are imminently at hand or even in progress). This did not bother us once we got onto the beach because we expected it to look like that.

I thought the 'sketchy' guys at the rental were really nice, lol.

Our bar server (the girl from NY?) was really helpful. She did tell us to order early as things get backed up, and we did. We had no problems getting drinks and food and she stopped back several times.

The woman's bathroom was fine but as I noted, no TP or soap so come prepared. I didn't go into the mens' room :o

As mistugirly noted, there are lots of sandy areas of beach. Do you mean the shells at the surf's edge? Otherwise I don't understand the rocky entrance part.

We had 1 or 2 tour groups come onto the beach during our stay but it was empty to begin with so it didn't affect us. We had plenty of beach real estate (and I'm from NJ so assertive about that lol) and more than enough room to swim unimpeded.

I'm glad you posted your review because it does provide the cruiser looking for a higher-end beach break some perspective. My kids all voted this their favorite part of the cruise, so everyone's experience is different.

Ironically the womens bathroom did have TP....I asked my wife and DD's that question.

We were if staring at the ocean just to the right of the hotel lobby closer to the big reef.....the beach sloped off there a bit and it was definitely lots of little rocks entering the water there...we meet another lady we knew from the ship and she even told my wife...."I don't like it here"...she had difficulty with the rocky entrance also. It wasn't so rocky that you couldn't enter the water but it definitely wasn't nice and sandy....you kept stepping on rocks.

The girls serving drinks like I posted was very nice and pleasant...she just needs assistance as come lunch time she disappeared and I didn't see her for at least 45 minutes....we left before her return.

I did feel that the facilities at Sapphire are just too run down for my taste, especially when there are nicer alternatives available at the same or even less cost.....keep in mind we docked at Crown Bay...so it was a bit of a longer ride. Even the taxi driver (who was born and raised in St Thomas) upon arriving told us how nice the resort "used" to be years ago but since has been on a downward spiral.....so even the natives obviously know it.

As far as tipping I did so because both coming and going to taxi drivers took off within 5 minutes with just us....they didn't look to wait around to cram in as many people as possible....I tip for good service:)

Edited by bajathree

I did feel that the facilities at Sapphire are just too run down for my taste, especially when there are nicer alternatives available at the same or even less cost.....keep in mind we docked at Crown Bay...so it was a bit of a longer ride. Even the taxi driver (who was born and raised in St Thomas) upon arriving told us how nice the resort "used" to be years ago but since has been on a downward spiral.....so even the natives obviously know it.

If you are looking for 'facilities', I would not recommend Sapphire. In one of your older posts you asked about facilities and right then I thought, 'he is probably not going to be happy at Sapphire' but there were enough posts regarding the facilities that I didn't think you would be surprised when you got there.

My main objective was snorkeling for the kids. I couldn't see going to St. John (expensive for 5) when I had read so many posts about the short snorkeling trail and dead coral there. Magen's Bay seemed beautiful, but no snorkeling. Coki had multiple bad reviews for location and I can understand why. I had read enough reports on Sapphire that I felt it would be our best bet and it worked out well for us.

I do feel bad that you made the trip out there and were disappointed. I try to be specific about why we liked a place and maybe I should have said 'No Steve don't go! Bad facilities!' So, sorry for that. :(

Hopefully this (very good) Sapphire thread will give all types of vacationers good information to use to plan their excursion in St. Thomas.

Edited by marci22

If you are looking for 'facilities', I would not recommend Sapphire. In one of your older posts you asked about facilities and right then I thought, 'he is probably not going to be happy at Sapphire' but there were enough posts regarding the facilities that I didn't think you would be surprised when you got there.

My main objective was snorkeling for the kids. I couldn't see going to St. John (expensive for 5) when I had read so many posts about the short snorkeling trail and dead coral there. Magen's Bay seemed beautiful, but no snorkeling. Coki had multiple bad reviews for location and I can understand why. I had read enough reports on Sapphire that I felt it would be our best bet and it worked out well for us.

I do feel bad that you made the trip out there and were disappointed. I try to be specific about why we liked a place and maybe I should have said 'No Steve don't go! Bad facilities!' So, sorry for that. :(

Hopefully this (very good) Sapphire thread will give all types of vacationers good information to use to plan their excursion in St. Thomas.

No worries Marci:)....do however one day give Trunk Bay;)

Emerald doesn't have the fish so its appeal is sand and calm water. Sapphire and Coki have reefs and rocks (which fish love) as well as sand so snorkeling is better at Sapphire and Coki.

It's hard to find a beach anywhere that has everything, because these are natural environments with humans as guests. Sapphire and Coki have a little sand and a little coral so there's the possibity that their appeal is broader.

mitsuigirl, where did you ask the cab driver to drop you off at Sapphire and where did you end up setting up your spot on the beach. Thanks for your help.

I just said I wanted to go to Sapphire and they took me to the place I "assume" they drop most passengers off. They told me that they have taxi/vans that come there every 15 min or so to pick up passengers so I wouldn't have a problem getting a ride back. I think the name of it was Sapphire Beach Resort or something like that. There was a big turn around area there.

We walked straight to the beach and went right (while facing the beach) and put our things under the grape trees there. (If you go left, it's mostly beach in that area I believe). We did wonder a little to the left (it was mostly sandy area out in the water with spots here and there with the coral). Then we worked our way back toward where we had our items and went right. That is where all the huge coral area was and went really far out, but yet it was still not deep. We seen a majority of the different types of fish there. (If you go to the left, you'll find the little beach shack where you rent the equipment. It's not far at all from where we were). :)