My review of Sapphire Beach & Paradise Point

mitsugirly

[quote name='AntiHamstr']FWIW, a dead jellyfish can and will sting you. Even one that got chopped up by a propeller or washed up on the beach can sting.

If you can't identify the species, it's best to just avoid them. Some are harmless, some are annoyances, and a few can kill you.

I don't think I've seen a single jellyfish near STT. YMMV.[/quote]

Good to know thanks. I definitely avoid them when I see them no matter what type/species they are. I usually try to get a picture (from a distance) but have always found it to be hard to focus on them. :(

I saw a small jellyfish at Coki when I did the SNUBA. The guide kind of "held" it for me so I could get a picture.

Another friend told me she's seen jellyfish at Magens, though VERY SELDOM. I wouldn't be too concerned about them - just make sure you pay attention to what's in the water. If you do go to Magens, I'm sure the lifeguard will know if there are any creatures lurking that might cause harm.

Why fruit loops for the fish? And can you rent just fins? Thanks! Taking our whole family in September and can not see paying $250 for us to get to St. john! Hoped we would find a piece of paradise here! Is this a topless beach?

• 2 weeks later...
mitsugirly: just at Sapphire Beach and it was not the same as last June.

We got there a little after 10am and it was already getting packed. I noticed about 50 chairs set up and asked if we could have one; the man said no, it was for a tour group :eek: He was also rather surly; the last time the guys running the stand and setting up chairs were so nice.

Some people set up their chairs right in front of us at around 12:15pm. They were on a jeep tour through the ship. It was just so crowded. It was chair to chair on my left, on my right, and in front of me. There was a tree behind me or I think someone would have been there, too. I think it affected the fish too because we didn't see as many this time.

There was construction going on. Bathrooms were clean and there was TP and also a bottle of SoftSoap on the counter. I don't remember the mens and womens room being so close to each other, though. When I left the bathroom I passed by the door to the mens room and saw a man using the urinal :eek: :eek: :eek:

The bar service was also lacking. There was a guy from the 'restaurant' who seemed nice, but the Banana Cabana waiter was a lunatic. He was wearing a crazy getup that looked like pajama pants and a weird hat. His hair was matted and he looked rather unwashed.

After he took our order, he asked for a $10 'prepayment'. Huh? He also made some unfortunate comments, in front of my kids, while taking the order. I should have cancelled my drinks order right there; I didn't order from him again.

I just didn't have the best time this visit. I have been very positive about Sapphire in the past but it seems to have gone downhill as it has gotten 'popular'. Edited by marci22

[quote name='marci22']mitsugirly: just at Sapphire Beach and it was not the same as last June.

We got there a little after 10am and it was already getting packed. I noticed about 50 chairs set up and asked if we could have one; the man said no, it was for a tour group :eek: He was also rather surly; the last time the guys running the stand and setting up chairs were so nice.

Some people set up their chairs right in front of us at around 12:15pm. They were on a jeep tour through the ship. It was just so crowded. It was chair to chair on my left, on my right, and in front of me. There was a tree behind me or I think someone would have been there, too. I think it affected the fish too because we didn't see as many this time.

There was construction going on. Bathrooms were clean and there was TP and also a bottle of SoftSoap on the counter. I don't remember the mens and womens room being so close to each other, though. When I left the bathroom I passed by the door to the mens room and saw a man using the urinal :eek: :eek: :eek:

The bar service was also lacking. There was a guy from the 'restaurant' who seemed nice, but the Banana Cabana waiter was a lunatic. He was wearing a crazy getup that looked like pajama pants and a weird hat. His hair was matted and he looked rather unwashed.

After he took our order, he asked for a $10 'prepayment'. Huh? He also made some unfortunate comments, in front of my kids, while taking the order. I should have cancelled my drinks order right there; I didn't order from him again.

I just didn't have the best time this visit. I have been very positive about Sapphire in the past but it seems to have gone downhill as it has gotten 'popular'.[/quote]

Wow, I really hate to hear that.

It sounds like the word has been getting out about Sapphire as a beautiful option instead of going to a crowded Megans. How many ships were in port the day you went? I wonder if that had any bearing on how many people were there (although when we went there were 4 ships, which at the time, 3 of them were the biggest ships they had out).

So the cruise ships are now offering tours to there?

[quote name='marci22']mitsugirly: just at Sapphire Beach and it was not the same as last June.

I just didn't have the best time this visit. I have been very positive about Sapphire in the past but it seems to have gone downhill as it has gotten 'popular'.[/QUOTE]

Sorry tohear your day was less than ideal Marci. We've been at Sapphire when 20,000 cruisers were on the island and didn't see much of a crowd but ya just never know how busy it will be from one day to the next. Secret Harbor seems to be enjoying a "lull" but will get busier as folks start flocking there.
And as with our favorite beaches in the BVI and elsewhere, more and more and bigger and bigger cruise ships are hitting the islands these days and we're forced to share "our" beaches with fellow travelers. But of course others had to share with us at one time.

Not sure why she has thay guy working with her at the BC but can't imagine him being there long! Hope your next visit is much more relaxing and enjoyable as Sapphire is a beautiful spot.

[quote name='mitsugirly']How many ships were in port the day you went? I wonder if that had any bearing on how many people were there...[/quote]

I think it was just Allure and possibly Carnival Ecstasy?

There were several tour groups there, and 1 was from the Allure Jeep excursion (I asked them). They came and went, but from 10am to 2pm it was packed. It started clearing out after 2pm; lots and lots of empty chairs.

They use the plain gray chairs for tours; the ones with the blue stripes are the $7 chairs.

[quote name='blue_water']Not sure why she has thay guy working with her at the BC but can't imagine him being there long! Hope your next visit is much more relaxing and enjoyable as Sapphire is a beautiful spot.[/quote]

Last time we had the woman from New York and she was very nice; drinks were great. This time we had this nut who was also training a new girl. She looked pretty unimpressed with him as well.

Drinks were small and I couldn't taste the alcohol in two of them. Safest to order bottled water and beer, or bring your C&A wine bottles and ask for some ice (of course give a tip). We did not order food; it was so crowded we knew it would take forever.

[quote name='marci22']I think it was just Allure and possibly Carnival Ecstasy?

There were several tour groups there, and 1 was from the Allure Jeep excursion (I asked them). They came and went, but from 10am to 2pm it was packed. It started clearing out after 2pm; lots and lots of empty chairs.

They use the plain gray chairs for tours; the ones with the blue stripes are the $7 chairs.[/quote]

Was also thinking, I usually always cruise in the "off" season after everyone has went back to school. When we were there it was September and that might have something to do with it as well.

Just read all 16 pages, great information here. We are going next month on Carnival and I think we are sold on Sapphire as snorkeling is our primary interest. Does anyone know if they have lifeguards at this beach? Didn't see a single comment on it, just curious. Thanks to everyone for their pictures and posts.

We were just there the end of June and there were very few people there.

The jet skis were $65 for one rider and an additional $10 for the second rider for half an hour. Our kids seemed to think it was worth it.

We saw quite a lot snorkeling right off the beach - heard there were turtles but I never did see one. We took our own snorkeling equipment.

Beware of the iguana - they do not fear us at all and tried to walk off with a couple t-shirts that were on our beach towel.

[quote name='glorialagos']

Beware of the iguana - they do not fear us at all and tried to walk off with a couple t-shirts that were on our beach towel.[/quote]

I LOLed at that one. Wonder what they were going to do with them. :p

I just didn't have the best time this visit. I have been very positive about Sapphire in the past but it seems to have gone downhill as it has gotten 'popular'.[/QUOTE]

Marci......Sounds like the sketch Sapphire that I encountered last year...once was enough for me.

[quote name='bajathree']Marci......Sounds like the sketch Sapphire that I encountered last year...once was enough for me.[/quote]

The server from Banana Cabana was the dealbreaker for me this time. At one point while me and H were away from our chairs, he went over to my kids and was kind of hanging out there for several minutes. Just odd.

[quote name='bajathree']Marci......Sounds like the sketch Sapphire that I encountered last year...once was enough for me.[/QUOTE]

Sorry you didn't enjoy your time at Sapphire Steve but I don't want other folks to get the wrong impression of Sapphire from your and Marci's posts. And strange about the odd server from the BC, if there's problem there I'm sure security will step up as they are excellent in keeping the beach area safe.

The vast majority of people who rent condos there (like us) and folks who spend their day there when in port for a day (also like us) love Sapphire. Is it perfect? We haven't discovered that spot yet. But it is absolutely our fav spot on STT and we've been to many of the condo resorts and beaches on the island. Sapphire is a wider bay than most which leaves plenty of room if you want to find a quieter spot. And the water color and island views are gorgeous. And as you can see from mitsugirly's and others pics the snorkeling is very good for STT.

The East End condo resorts like Sapphire, Secret Harbor and others are older resorts and are not full-service resorts like Dreams, Iberostar, RIU, and Excellence. They are free beaches open to the public that happen to be the home of condo resorts (Sapphire has 3 separate resorts) that offer limited services and food otions. But Sapphire is a great spot to spend some time after returning from the BVI or elsewhere, the condos are beautiful from the right owner, and the pool, beach, views, and proximity to Red Hook make Sapphire a wonderful destination for a week or for a day. Edited by blue_water
Typo

The server from Banana Cabana was the dealbreaker for me this time. At one point while me and H were away from our chairs, he went over to my kids and was kind of hanging out there for several minutes. Just odd.

That is odd, of course we haven't met him and he may just be one of the very friendly people there. But Sapphire is one of the safest beaches in the Caribbean and the resort does have great security there. So if there is someone acting strangely report that to them but they would be aware of a problem with someone working there.

Our cruise is stopping in STT the beginning of December, and we're torn between 3 beaches for snorkeling:

Coki

Secret Harbour

Sapphire

Any recommendations? I read that the waves can be a little tough on a child at Sapphire but wanted to check with people who have been there.

We will have a 10 year old with us, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Renee

Our cruise is stopping in STT the beginning of December, and we're torn between 3 beaches for snorkeling:

Coki

Secret Harbour

Sapphire

Any recommendations? I read that the waves can be a little tough on a child at Sapphire but wanted to check with people who have been there.

We will have a 10 year old with us, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Renee

Sapphire can be calm depending on sea conditions but it can also be rougher there. Coki is more protected and would be better for a youngster I think, and Secret Harbor also tends to be calm from my experience.

We prefer Coki on quiet days, but since that is rare Sapphire is our first choice. But again the waves can be bigger depending...

Go by the weather when you get there and also talk to the driver when you arrive, they usually have a good idea of the beach and sea conditions.

Sounds like some people who post nothing but POSITIVE about Sapphire and discount anything negative that anyone has to say....either have some kind of agenda....or maybe business interest in Sapphire going;) We all have difference of opinion...I get that....but there are some that just seem to defend this place to the death if you say anything that isn't completely positive......like I said....maybe personal interest:confused:

Edited by bajathree