Security?

blkbetty

Be carefull! I was on the oasis 9/11/10. On Thursday night after dinner we came back to our room, changed our clothes and went to see Come fly with me. Came back after show and ordered room service at 10 pm. Friday noticed camera was gone. Called security. They searched our room, took a few notes and left. I just want to point out a few detail. One; a camera is outside our door. Two; they checked the black key box. Three; they have face recognition aboard the ship. Four; they could have found the camera in about 2 minutes if they even looked. I told them it had every picture of your trip on that camera! That I bought this camera 3 days before the trip. Their answer is they will send me a piece of paper to submit to my home owners insurance company. This is not the only reason I will never cruise again. No point in discussing the true reason. I was shocked to learn what I did on board. This was our first cruise. Our last cruise. Lets see if cruisecritic prints my on board experence. RC has threatened CC about posting negative reports, and CC was a good little boy and followed orders and removed the comments. Don't beleive? Just do a little research.

I may be taking cold medication...but I do not know what you are talking about!!

CC removes threads or posts that are offensive or attack someone. I can't imagine it is from a "threat " from RCC!!

.if you have information that you feel affects passenger's safety, you should share it.

Be carefull! I was on the oasis 9/11/10. On Thursday night after dinner we came back to our room, changed our clothes and went to see Come fly with me. Came back after show and ordered room service at 10 pm. Friday noticed camera was gone. Called security. They searched our room, took a few notes and left. I just want to point out a few detail. One; a camera is outside our door. Two; they checked the black key box. Three; they have face recognition aboard the ship. Four; they could have found the camera in about 2 minutes if they even looked. I told them it had every picture of your trip on that camera! That I bought this camera 3 days before the trip. Their answer is they will send me a piece of paper to submit to my home owners insurance company. This is not the only reason I will never cruise again. No point in discussing the true reason. I was shocked to learn what I did on board. This was our first cruise. Our last cruise. Lets see if cruisecritic prints my on board experence. RC has threatened CC about posting negative reports, and CC was a good little boy and followed orders and removed the comments. Don't beleive? Just do a little research.

We were on that cruise and I was forever leaving my camera out and sometimes my jewelry and we never had an issue. I am sorry yours was taken. If you don't mind me asking, what is the "true reason"?

Paul Harvey? I wanna hear the rest of this story? Please share what happened next? :confused:

OP You made some very Negative comments about RCL It's your right and opinion. I would like to know the reason you feel the way you do? I'm sure many of us would. What did or didn't security do? You also refer to some other instance "This is not the only reason I will never cruise again. No point in discussing the true reason. I was shocked to learn what I did on board. This was our first cruise. Our last cruise." Please explain???

So in other words, you didn't know enough to secure your camera.

We were on that cruise and I was forever leaving my camera out and sometimes my jewelry and we never had an issue. I am sorry yours was taken. If you don't mind me asking, what is the "true reason"?

Thanks for asking! I quit using CC before my cruise because people are so nasty ( first reply). The real reason is after having a heart to heart with 3 very nice and hard working crew members, it broke my heart! Their pay, the hours they work and the hours they aren't paid for. Their living conditions and the real food they are feed. Some will say at least they have a job or they get room and board, but in truth they have to prepay their plane tickets home in case they are fired and really aren't treated well. People want a vacation where they are waited on, but they are being waited by others who are mistreated. For as much money as we pay and RC makes, its just not right. We all have to make choices where we spend our money and I always try to buy american and fair trade products as much as possible. If a company is doing right by employees, I thank them with my money. With a clear conscience, I won't cruise again. Im not better than anybody else, I just can't do it.

I brought no jewelry. Only a camera that had all my family pictures on it! It was a pretty cheap camera, but that was not the point. Why write? Just to be rude?

Thanks for asking! I quit using CC before my cruise because people are so nasty ( first reply). The real reason is after having a heart to heart with 3 very nice and hard working crew members, it broke my heart! Their pay, the hours they work and the hours they aren't paid for. Their living conditions and the real food they are feed. Some will say at least they have a job or they get room and board, but in truth they have to prepay their plane tickets home in case they are fired and really aren't treated well. People want a vacation where they are waited on, but they are being waited by others who are mistreated. For as much money as we pay and RC makes, its just not right. We all have to make choices where we spend our money and I always try to buy american and fair trade products as much as possible. If a company is doing right by employees, I thank them with my money. With a clear conscience, I won't cruise again. Im not better than anybody else, I just can't do it.

If you are referring to my reply, it is not nasty. I did not, nor did any one else -, understand what you were referring to! Especially the part about CC being a good boy and doing what RC says...

I read an excellent book about the "behind the scenes " written by an American

I think this is it.." Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline: Where the Crew Lives, Eats, Wars, and Parties. One Crazy Year Working on Cruise Ships (Travelers' Tales) by Brian David .

Also, you can find LOTS of information on cr****junkie.com.

The conversations that I have had with crew over the years were different than yours..most seemed to appreciate the opportunity to earn money to send/take home. And I am sorry that your camera got stolen...major bummer!

Kat

I really don't know how to respond to the stolen camera...but quite honestly, that has nothing to do with a cruise line...that has to do with people, even possibly employees. I'm sure Royal Caribbean does not want people who steal to work for them. Also, I always suggest that valuables be put away or locked in the safe.

Secondly, as far as the treatment of employees.....Cruiselines are a gratuity driven venture for waiters, room attendants, etc. All others work based on salaries informed to them prior to accepting employment. They are not mistreated or forced to accept any position that they deem unfair. In other words....they can accept or reject any offer and leave at any time. I wouldn't like to hear about Royal Caribbean being unfair, but at the same time, the employees have choices.

I truly hope you find your camera or are able to be compensated.

Crew memebers are not prisoners, they can leave whenever they want. They do work long hours and they do depend on tips to make a living, but so do all service people. They have a crew mess and they eat the same food we do just not served as fancy. The crew kitchen also prepares ethnic cuisine for their employees.

They also have a bar, lounge and gym. They do get time off in ports to go ashore to shop or make phone calls home.

Part of the reason they give you the sob story is so you will tip more.

Ive been on almost 40 cruises and never had anything go missing in the cabin or on deck. The one time I lost my camera it showed up at guest relations two days later.

Im sure RCCL will not miss your business.

I'm sorry your camera was stolen, that really is miserable.

As for the 'real reason' you're never taking another cruise...well, that is certainly your prerogative and, although I'm not sure I'd like working on a cruise ship, many, many crew members I have spoken to over the years have told me they enjoy it.

Many members of the crew continue to return for multiple contracts so I would have to believe that they feel the working arrangements are fair.

I'm sorry you were made to feel guilty for enjoying a cruise vacation, it's too bad you didn't speak to some of the crew who enjoy what they do.

I don't know what crew members you were talking to, but I have dozens of good friends in various positions onboard different ships, and they all get paid a decent wage. No one forced them to go to work onboard a ship, they did it willingly and knowing what the pay was. I've helped some of them buy computers, phones etc. Some of them have families back home to support and so they send the money back to them. Yeah, they're not eating Chops quality food, but they aren't eating gruel either. I suspect you've been told a few "stories".

Ok to your first response "I quit using CC before my cruise because people are so nasty ( first reply). " I read some of your previous threads you posted and replied to. I can see why some were "nasty" as you say. You flamed or ridiculed posters. So not cool. As far as help on a ship. Many of the help love and enjoy their job's. So your saying that people don't complain about their working conditions? I own a business, I know my employees all complain. RCL provides one of the best working conditions on the high seas for its employees. I also have talked with many of its hired hands. Not just the white coat staff. They have very good Mess hall. I only wish i could go down to the crew bar and hang. They know before signing a contract with cruiseline for employment they are to provide their own way home. That isn't something unknown to them. Many who work on the ships are making 5 to even 10 times more then they would at home. I think your right. Crusing isn't for you. Good luck in your future travels what ever they may be.

Agreed!

It was out because I was charging the battery! The room attendent was done with my room. Why should I not assume that my room won't be broken into by the staff? I was gone maybe 2 hours. All they had to do is check my schedule on the tv to see what time id be gone! How safe is that?

It was out because I was charging the battery! The room attendent was done with my room. Why should I not assume that my room won't be broken into by the staff? I was gone maybe 2 hours. All they had to do is check my schedule on the tv to see what time id be gone! How safe is that?

So the room was made up for the night? You then went to a show and it was there charging? You assume the staff came back and took it? Your 100% sure your door wasn't left open when you left? Yes, they have cameras in the hallway and yes they can go back and look at footage. My guess or assumption is they reviewed and saw nothing. They questioned cabin steward and i'm quite sure searched their quarters. So what would you like them to do? How many people in your cabin? :confused:

I really am conscious of what we leave out in our cabin as far as passports, large amounts of money, expensive jewelry, but to be honest we have never in all our cruises locked up our camera. I never thought a camera would be sooooo tempting that a crew member would risk their jobs to take it.

Not saying it's bad advice. I have never done it.

That book is probably written about the entertainers and not the wait staff or the room attendments. They are not paid anything compaired to them. And it comes down to having a heart about others. Some will see it, others won't. When my husband went to work to tell others the bad conditions, the cruisers had a lost look on their face. They could careless, by gosh they love cruising. Great. Go. Have fun. But I do not find that fun. Im done with CC. Like I said before, not all, but alot of people on this site are just plain rude. Its to bad. Because sometimes its nice writing about thoughts or ideas, but here, the rude people ruin it for everybody else. Bye.

That book is probably written about the entertainers and not the wait staff or the room attendments. They are not paid anything compaired to them. And it comes down to having a heart about others. Some will see it, others won't. When my husband went to work to tell others the bad conditions, the cruisers had a lost look on their face. They could careless, by gosh they love cruising. Great. Go. Have fun. But I do not find that fun. Im done with CC. Like I said before, not all, but alot of people on this site are just plain rude. Its to bad. Because sometimes its nice writing about thoughts or ideas, but here, the rude people ruin it for everybody else. Bye.

No, he signed a contract and started off in the dining room as an assistant waiter on a Carnaval ship. He worked in various areas for 18 months. You can do a search on the main board - the author did a Q&A on the main board and he had lots of interesting info.

Be carefull! I was on the oasis 9/11/10. On Thursday night after dinner we came back to our room, changed our clothes and went to see Come fly with me. Came back after show and ordered room service at 10 pm. Friday noticed camera was gone. Was it in the safe? That's where your valuables should be kept. Or did you take it with you to the show so you could take pictures and accidently leave it there? Called security. They searched our room, took a few notes and left. I just want to point out a few detail. One; a camera is outside our door. Two; they checked the black key box. Three; they have face recognition aboard the ship. Four; they could have found the camera in about 2 minutes if they even looked. If it was that easy as you indicated, then why couldn't find it? I told them it had every picture of your trip on that camera! That I bought this camera 3 days before the trip. Their answer is they will send me a piece of paper to submit to my home owners insurance company. This is not the only reason I will never cruise again. No point in discussing the true reason. I was shocked to learn what I did on board. What was so shocking about what you did or are you going to blame this on someone else too? This was our first cruise. Our last cruise. Lets see if cruisecritic prints my on board experence. RC has threatened CC about posting negative reports, and CC was a good little boy and followed orders and removed the comments. With all the battles over freedom of speech going on, I doubt that there is any validity to your comments here. Don't beleive? Just do a little research. After nearly 100 cruises, we have never had anything go missing.

bonnie

I guess to anyone readig this thread. Go back and read some of the comments OP has made in previous threads. She complains about rudeness yet doesn't complain when she is beyound rude. I hope that a MOD makes this post go poof JMO:mad:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=18104278

Proofs in the pudding....:rolleyes:

I just read some of the OP's previous posts. She has "issues" to say the least. All rudeness and complaining so take this with a grain of salt. I also have a friend who was a dancer onboard and had a great experience and will tell you everyone onboard is there because they want to be. Any "sob" stories you heard are the same ones you will hear anywhere when tips are involved. The good ones at telling the sob stories can pick out a good mark a mile away. Most people will tell you they are underpaid no matter what they do.

Archived