Azura - Try to be more positive - PLEASE!

Black Jan

Hey everyone

I am really new to this site and would really appreciate it if those of you who have already been on Azura would try to be a little more mindful that when you say really negative things you just might shatter the hopes and excitement of people like me who are really looking forward to a future cruise on the Azura.

Maybe you could try to say some positive things too so that we don't end up feeling really low and anxious that our dream holiday is going to be utterly ruined by either loud music or excessive queues or lack of toilets!!!!

Come on people - tell me something lovely about the Azura - PLEASE!!!!!

G'day Black Jan

I have never been on Azura - so I can't give you any negatives.

The main positive is that, for many of us, a bad day at sea is better than a good day on land.

I have generally found that people on their first cruise have a wonderful time and experience- except possibly for those who have over-hyped their expectations of what a cruise is. Of course, you cannot know what a cruise is , until you have done one. So - go with no expectations at all, that is a very safe route.

I have also generally found that the more experienced a cruiser is - the more critical they become. I guess this is somewhat natural - as how can you become critical of anything unless you have some experience to base your criticism on.

Things like loud music? -- a negative for some , but a positive for others.

Queues etc.? Well here, we have to be realistic. There will be approx 2000 people on the ship - many/most of whom will be wanting to do exactly what you want to do at exactly the same time - got to dinner, go to a show, get off at a port - yes, all at the same time that you want to do these things. Better get used to that idea because that is cruising. Toilets?? - no shortage of them, we all have one in our cabin. Of course, there are others around the ship - but remember the rule about 2000 people all wanting to do what you want to do at the same time.

Just do it - you will either love it or hate it. Either way, you won't know until you do it! :p

Barry

Hi Black Jan

we were on the azura in june for 2 weeks, we loved it!! we were first time cruisers so everything was fab to us, nothing to compere with. we had an inside cabin, very spacious, kept spotless and the furnishings were lovely. We enjoyed all the evening entertainment and we always managed to get seats. The food was fab and we were freedom dining, you will have a great time ,please feel free to ask any questions.

regards

lin ;)

Hi - just back from Azura and I was the one who mentioned loud music, toilets etc. Those were the things I didn't like.

We had an inside cabin which was extremely comfortable, best bed I've had on a ship. Great food, excellent service, friendly staff. We also visited super ports and had a great time. Yes I mentioned the things that we didn't like for us. For me, I prefer a smaller ship, but it was worth trying.

I am sure you will have a great holiday, there are many bars on board. We liked the Planet Bar at the top of the ship - fantastic views - a drink at 7 as the ship creams along is magical.

Go with an open mind - I did say somewhere else that whatever review you read, somebody will hate something. We are on Arcadia next and I have just read a terrible report along with a good one!! LOL

You will read "negative" reports about every ship in the fleet here! Not for the fainthearted!!! People on here want to give you all opinions so you can be prepared. I find some comments very helpful.

You should've read the stuff people were writing about Ventura when she was new!!!!! It's a wonder I ever went on that ship, but I had a great time.

That makes ME think that Azura must be fine as there hasn't been much criticism at all! I can't wait to walk up the gangway in a few weeks time!

I've been on all the ships except Azura. Only been on Ventura and Arcadia for one cruise, but have booked Ventura again for Christmas. Arcadia is the ship I liked least, but given the right deal I would be back on her like a shot!

YOUR cruise is down to YOU - if you decide you're going to have a good time then you WILL!!!

Enjoy!

Caryl

Hi Black Jan,

I can't speak for any of the P&O ships as I'm about to take my first cruise with them, on Ventura. I too am a little apprehensive as the reviews for Ventura can be very mixed. I've only sailed with American lines previously and had a fantastic time, even though there was no shortage of bad reviews for those :(

Cruise critic is a great resource for finding out about your ship, itinerary and ports. I feel sorry for cruisers who don't stumble across this site and possibly miss out on so much onboard.

I can assure you, Azura will be everything you hope for and more. Great that people have responded positively for you :)

I've been on Azura. :D

Lots I liked..............many bars, plenty of show times, choice of places to eat.

Never experienced problems in finding loungers or seats for shows or buffet restaurants.

Can't say I noticed loud music. :confused: Neither did I experience queues anywhere apart from getting back on the ship at Gibraltar. Probably because it was only an afternoon visit so everyone was getting back on at the same time as there were problems with the swipe card machines. :(

She's a lovely ship...........Enjoy! ;)

Remember that one man's meat is another man's poison, and that people are much more likely to go into print complaining about things that the did not like than praising those that they did. Also, many P&O stalwarts are very conservative in their tastes, do not like change - "she's not like the Canberra" - and will routinely talk down any new addition to the fleet. Ventura got (and still gets) nothing but critisism from these people, yet P&O reported in their Portunus mag that she had received the highest ever onboard customer satisfaction ratings for a P&O ship. Now it is Azura's turn to face the carping - so take it with a large pinch of salt>

I am always positive about Azura and can't even think of many bad reviews on her, where are reading those?

A fact is she has no retractable roof swimming pool, so no indoor pool atall but thats a fact not a negative review.

I am happy to supply photos on her , and am always saying how nice she is, especially the Planet Bar, Seventeen and The Glasshouse, etc. Also with 3 performances a night at the theatre you will get a very good chance of seeing a show every night plus another lot of entertainment which is more than can be said for other ships. We went to the 1st performance of a show at 7am, went to 2nd sitting dinner, then saw a tribute band or comedian after dinner. Wonderful.

As Caryl said you will will read good and bad on every ship at sea in the world, my first cruise was on Arcadia, after she had been at sea for a year and lots of people slated her for being too contemporary and brown and beige opposed to glitzy with a big Atrium like the other ships.

If you read review sites be prepared for good and bad thats the best advice I can give you.

Yes, well said Sue, but have to mention that the other poster said 2000 people, it is in fact 3000 and another 1000+ crew all trying to get on and off the ship. We had a major problem in 2 ports, AND they only used 2 gangways, when there are more available. Standing in 90 degree heat for 20 minutes is no fun.

We were on Azura in April the first cruise after the maiden. it was a fantastic holiday. We had no problem getting theatre seats or sunbeds. we did not notice queues anywhere (although we did hear that they formed for the 9pm theatre performance). The weather was mixed which made the ship busy inside. The toilets are an issue but they are on every ship I have sailed on. I usually go back to he cabin rather than queue.

The main thing we missed on Azura compared to Ventura was the inside pool and the area which & pool which is the retreat on Azura. The pluses over Ventura for us was the food and the atrium dance floor with live music all night.

Go with an open mind and enjoy. We are on Azura again for Xmas & new year. Can't wait.

Sue

We were on AZURA in may.

Was one of the most stable ships we've been on.

Cabin was very good

Food was very good and as much of it as you wanted, all you have to do is ask.

We had two of the best waiters we've ever had,nothing was to much trouble,all you have to do is treat them with a bit of respect and have a laugh with them.

Was the biggest we've been on and i must say at first it seemed crowded but when we found our way around there was always somewhere to sit or lay in the sun if thats your thing.

Enjoyed the shows,if the acts in the other venue's were any good you had a struggle to get a seat if you didn't get there soon enough

You still had people who had to queue to make sure they got wherever first but all in all it was a good cruise to VENICE.

Have a good cruise,just go with an open mind and enjoy yourselves.......

Don't worry too much about the reviews, I read bad things about Ventura in her maiden season, but had a fantastic time when I cruised on her the same year.

I'm on Azura too, next month, and I'm not concerned about any of the coments I've read, I'm just glad I'm going on a cruise!!

Mossie

Wow!!! what a lot of responses - thank you to you all - it really is much appreciated! How nice it is to hear lots of positive things - I will try to be a little less sensitive when reading posts in future!!!!

I've wanted to go on a cruise for ages but hubby was not so keen - fortunately our best friends decided to go and so we all worked on him until he folded!!!!

This really is a dream holiday for me - and to the Caribbean.... how great is that?!

Thanks again everyone - bless you

Jan

WIsh I was coming on your cruise....one place I haven't been yet is the Caribbean, as hubbie won't fly long haul, and we both work so can 't get 24 days off work for the Southampton return to the Caribbean, so that one will have to wait until we retire.

Azura and the Caribbean, you are very lucky....do try the glasshouse, do try 1st sitting show so that you can see more entertainment later (unless ofcourse you are on 1st sitting when you won't be able to go then)

Here are photos from the naming ceremony of Azura which I was very lucky to attend:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AzuraNamingCeremonyApril10#5458848738007850898

AND IF! You haven't seen them - haha, photos of the ship from a previous Azura cruise, look at the Glasshouse food - lovely...great to try on a sea day at lunchtime:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AzuraIrelandEurope1623rdJuly#5497601962201295266

CLICK LINK.

Sue

Jan

WIsh I was coming on your cruise....one place I haven't been yet is the Caribbean, as hubbie won't fly long haul, and we both work so can 't get 24 days off work for the Southampton return to the Caribbean, so that one will have to wait until we retire.

Sue, we are managing Southampton, Southampton via the Caribbean with only 12 days off work:D !!! But we have had to give up Christmas at home to do it (not an option for all I know - we got a few comments when we said - in fact not sure we've even told everyone yet:eek:)

The other thing is there is only 5 days actually in the Caribbean - the rest is Transatlantic (plus a day &1/2 in Madeira (WHY?) & 1/2 in Azores) - so hoping for reasonable weather in the Atlantic :)

We considered the Azura Transatlantic (Nov?) - I wanted to try Azura but weren't keen on the flight back - next year for Azura perhaps.

First time out of Europe for me so looking forward to it :D

Hi Karen

Two problems there for me lol,

1. I work in retail and we can't have christmas off

2. Hubbie not keen on lots of seadays in a row - once met someone who did your cruise and Azores was cancelled due to bad weather and she had 7 or 8 sea days in a row:eek: Shame after all the seadays you have you are only getting 1/2 day in the Azores and they couldn't of made it a full day of it and just a day in Madeira.

I am working on him though, and by the time he retires we WILL do that cruise;)

On our last cruise we only had half a day in Valletta (Malta)

It was such a beautiful day - I felt we really didn't have enough time there - even though I'd had a holiday there some years before.

Why do P&O do this! Also had half days in Vigo, Palma and Gib.

Then follows the so slow journey back to Southampton -on Bay of Frisky!

I really would like to visit the Azores. Our friends were there earlier this yr with P&O but unfortunately the weather was bad that day.

Caryl

We have just booked Azura for January despite not being overwhelmed with Venture or Oceana compared with other experiences. We much prefer the American cruise lines it would seem. We measure our cruises by the overall level of service and the food - but here we are looking forward to our next cruise on a great new ship which has some great reviews.

Every holiday is what you make it and I already know we will have a lovely time and so will you.

The worst cruise I ever went on was absolutely fantastic!

The first cruise is the best! You will have a great time if thats what you want.

Enjoy

Gail

Hey you want to read what many people have said about the ship I'm going on this year (costa atlantica), for my first cruise...:eek:

That said, with being on here now for a little while, Ive learned to take a lot of it with a pinch of salt...I actually couldnt believe what some people had actually written about their cruises and its things I wouldnt even bother giving a second glance to but Ive found a lot of people on here are very very critical...

We all love our holidays and cruises are no different but there does seem to be certain types of 'cruisers' on here that seem to think they should be treated like royalty and if they aint treated accordingly, come on here and criticise...

I treat everyone the same and whilst I expect no less back I certainly wouldnt treat the cabin staff etc like theyre some sort of personal slave...

Azura is gonna be fantastic -:D Hey it should be we're going on it!!:D

Laurakdy

I like your attitude!! :p

You know, it is only a simple accident of our birth that we are not now sitting in a cave in Afghanistan or somewhere similar. I am happy that I was born when and where I was - and am thankful for it and all that it has led to.

Barry

Shame after all the sea days you have you are only getting 1/2 day in the Azores and they couldn't of made it a full day of it and just a day in Madeira.

I thought that - its not that Madeira isn't nice - but after 3 canaries cruises, I've been there, done that:p, where as the Azores is a maiden visit for us both & it would have been nice to be able to do a tour and have a mooch round.

I am working on him though, and by the time he retires we WILL do that cruise;)

Good luck :D

I'm looking forward to it - though a bit worried about 23 days on board, 23 days eating, the bar bill after 23 days and leaving the house for that long (though I've been known to worry after an overnight away) :D

''I actually couldnt believe what some people had actually written about their cruises and its things I wouldnt even bother giving a second glance to but Ive found a lot of people on here are very very critical...''

.....Well, this site is called 'cruise critic' :D

There is a site called 'welovecruising ' out there is well:)

I bet when you come off your first cruise you will want to comment on the good and bad too.. and that will be good, as this is a cruise discussion board. Look forward to hearing about your Costa cruise.

I was quite critical of our most recent cruise on Oasis of the seas but as I wrote in my review we had a great time, the things I was critical about were more things to make other aware. For instance with the dress code, it really did not bother me too much but I know for some people it could be a real issue.

Anyway we cruised on Ventura just after the notorious Christmas cruise and read lots of bad reviews. In fact some friends of ours were on that Christmas cruise and sent me an email which was far from complimentary about the ship. But we went and had a great time, in fact Ventura is my favourite ship. The only thing that it was missing was a big screen outside. Now Azura has that so that is the next ship we want to try.

Chris

Archived