Lusitanica's EPIC REVIEW with pics, videos, comments, etc.

lusitanica

I do know what I like and do not like on cruise ships and cruising in general.

Now, I wonder if this reply to a question posed by you will disappear from the board as others have.

On your first point, that makes sense...but why put down Epic, when it might be exactly the cure for those same things, in they eyes of another (say....me.)

On the 2nd point, I have no idea...I have not ever (to my recollection), reported any of your posts as inappropriate.

looking at the lobby of the Epic and the lobby of Harrah's in Reno:

2j3pi1f.jpg

EPIC

4lr1bd.jpg

Harrah's Reno

Told you the Epic reminded me of 'Vegas on the water'

Yes, and? That's one of the things I really liked about it.

While there are some people who claim that the OP's review was to SLAM the ship I ask those people this question: What was not factual in this review?

Well, the sink wasn't splashing during his video, but his review claimed it did. He said that the review would focus on the EPIC, but spent more time focused on Miami, Carnival, and Oasis..... for starters....

The Epic IS a loud ship - stop denying this and just accept it; many cruisers like that (not me)

I did not find it loud, on the TA...maybe it has gotten louder, but to say that I'm denying my own experience, and that I should just accept your perspective of my experience is wrong-headed.

The Epic IS NOT designed like a conventional cruise ship, the sliding doors in the cabins are NOT opaque, the sinks are small - just accept it; to many cruisers this is a non-issue.

The sliding doors in the Spa Suites ARE opaque, far more opaque than in the balcony cabins. The sinks are also larger than in the balcony cabins... just saying.... don't generalize so much! :)

When I sailed on the Epic there were times when it seemed very crowded and as evidence by the OP's video the Epic can "feel" crowded. If you live in an urban area your definition of crowded will be a lot different than my definition of crowded (live in a small city).

AHHHHHH.......now we have the thing that has been missing in almost every review I've read. CONTEXT.

it's one thing for people to start their reviews with how many times they've cruised, and on how many lines, etc.....but knowing where they live (urban / rural), would add a lot of context to their reviews.

No offense to Alabaman's, I use the state only as an example, but I believe based on the little I know about the state, that I would have more in common with a Mannhattanite than an Alabaman.

What I don't understand is how certain people can watch 15 minutes of video (Parts 1 & 2) and get so defensive about a 20 second section where the OP showed a painting of a PDA and the OP put Woops! Big deal right? It's the OP's OPINION but other posters won't accept that - so sad. :(

Yes, just let a little homophobia slide under the radar as long as there's 15 minutes of spin neatly packaged in some slide transitions....

If the OP's opinion is that homophobia deserves an "oops", then you're VERY right that I won't just "accept it". It's wrong.

Same here. Although Celebrity is my line of choice (as is readily apparent from my clocks), I have cruised most of the mass market lines more than once. I have enjoyed each and every one of them and would not hesitate to sail on any line again. And, this certainly includes NCL.

There are certain ships I would not sail. Oasis/Allure because of their size and number of passengers and Epic because of its' size and a few issues I have mentioned previously and some that were addressed by lusitanic in his posts on this thread.

Interesting you bring up the size of a ship having a bearing on whether or not you will cruise on it. I'm really looking forward to being on a ship the size of the Epic. The largest I've been on to date is the Crown Princess but it never seemed crowded to me. I'm thinking the cruise I do after the Epic will be on a much smaller ship just to check out why so many seem to love them so.

Yes, just let a little homophobia slide under the radar as long as there's 15 minutes of spin neatly packaged in some slide transitions....

If the OP's opinion is that homophobia deserves an "oops", then you're VERY right that I won't just "accept it". It's wrong.

You might want to take another look at that artwork. Its a man (long dark hair) and a woman (blonde) kissing, not two women. Its just before the 8 minute mark of the first video. Your homophobia charge is uncalled for.

I don't know but I'm guessing the "OOPS" relates to the nudity on public display. Maybe the OP can clarify what he meant.

Luis

You missed a real opportunity for crediblity on this board.

You also posted a picture of ping pong table cluttered with trash and beer bottles that is obviously not from the Epic. That is not fair.

You are mistaken. This picture is from the Epic.

Credibility is a "reciprocal" thing.

False accusations are not good for credibility.

I never post false info.

My credibility is sound.

Regards.

pingjm.jpg

You are mistaken. This picture is from the Epic.

Credibility is a "reciprocal" thing.

False accusations are not good for credibility.

I never post false info.

My credibility is sound.

Regards.

pingjm.jpg

Have not been on Epic yet, but I believe this is the last stop of the "Pub Crawl" where some sort of drinking game takes place on the ping pong table. I, for one, cannot wait for this!! Looks like it must have been a very good time!!

You might want to take another look at that artwork. Its a man (long dark hair) and a woman (blonde) kissing, not two women. Its just before the 8 minute mark of the first video. Your homophobia charge is uncalled for.

I don't know but I'm guessing the "OOPS" relates to the nudity on public display. Maybe the OP can clarify what he meant.

I, too, wondered about the homophobia comment. Not knowing that piece of art (never having seen it), I would classify it as perhaps "erotic", and would wonder why it was displayed in a public area of the ship available for children to view. As I see lusitanica has stated the "oops" is just that.

"There are clocks on the phone screen and on TV channels.

Be prepared to see discrepancy between them."

This is my first post ever and I have to laugh and wonder about this post if this OP complains about the time between the clock on the TV and phone.

"BE PREPARED TOO SEE DISCREPANCY....."

My GOD...What do I need to be prepared for?

Oh, yes. It's funny.

But I am not complaining. I am letting you know.

It's may be important if you need to change time during the cruise.

My GOD...What do I need to be prepared for?

For nothing major.

For example, you can miss a show that you prepaid and prebooked 45 days in advance.

I am returning your picture.

44724796.jpg

Great review .....that illustrates the reality ....in relation to the artistic renderings. The "artistic license" taken in the room illustrations .....also shows up in many of the other poor space planning issues .....your review has pointed out.

When does "artistic license" become deceptive advertising?

The difference in space between the beds and cupboard is nearly double (or half) between the advertised and the actual.

When does "artistic license" become deceptive advertising?

The difference in space between the beds and cupboard is nearly double (or half) between the advertised and the actual.

Yes, but like the rest of his "review" his pictures and situation are CAREFULLY crafted to make it look as bad as possible. Curtains drawn so you don't see the balcony or water. Sofa pulled out as far as possible in sleep mode to be as close to the far wall as possible and even shelf and cupboard pulled open. Bed is also pulled out and though you can't tell for sure from the picture, the pillows appear to be situated to possibly cover any gap between the pulled out bed and the headboard.

Neither of these things changes the fact that the advertising showed more room than the reality, but it DOES give insight into the reviewer. All the video, sound, pictures were carefully crafted to be as negative as possible. I wonder how many "takes" or how much scouting was required to get it all. Clearly tons of work and considerable skill went into it all. Just blows me away that someone could really spend that much money and time on all this negativity.

Stuck on a noisy ship with no activities that are enjoyable. No place to see the water or read... How about your BALCONY???

Yes, but like the rest of his "review" his pictures and situation are CAREFULLY crafted to make it look as bad as possible. Curtains drawn so you don't see the balcony or water. Sofa pulled out as far as possible in sleep mode to be as close to the far wall as possible and even shelf and cupboard pulled open. Bed is also pulled out and though you can't tell for sure from the picture, the pillows appear to be situated to possibly cover any gap between the pulled out bed and the headboard.

Sorry, you've posted false info!

Sofa shown in BOTH positions (review).

The bed never pulled anywhere.

Measurements provided (review).

sofp.jpg

Sorry, you've posted false info!

Sofa shown in BOTH positions (review).

The bed never pulled anywhere.

Measurements provided (review).

sofp.jpg

Sorry, looked pulled out to me. So would you dispute the statement that you worked hard to show the ship at it's worst?

......yup....its pulled out.....about the only useful configuation for that sofa / bed. Who thought a convex backed sofa ......facing a closet 2 ft away ......is good design.

......yup....its pulled out.....about the only useful configuation for that sofa / bed. Who thought a convex backed sofa ......facing a closet 2 ft away ......is good design.

It's not that bad in application. My teenage son slept on the couch and it was pulled out almost a foot less than that, with the head and foot of the bed flush with the back. Less room in the middle for sleeping, but a lot more room for getting around the bed.

Ya know I think what people are still not getting about these basic Balcony cabins is they are a replacement for oceanview cabins. They are much larger than the oceanview cabins on both the Sky and the Dawn. So for families like mine who usually book oceanview this is a major upgrade for the same price.

NCL needs to market them differently. People who normally book a balcony are actually looking at a lower level cabin than they should be.

Thanks Mr L for your lucid and detailed review and accompanying videos. Strangely enough I had a similar video which I took in order to show everyone what a great time I had!

I am indebted to you for making me realise that the two great weeks of enjoyment I had on the Epic were a lie and I had actually been miserable the whole time without knowing it!

I probably should have spent more time videoing venting ducts in order to obtain the full cruising experience! Oh well, I'll know better next time!

Thanks Mr L for your lucid and detailed review and accompanying videos. Strangely enough I had a similar video which I took in order to show everyone what a great time I had!

Thank you for your comment.

Probably you've missed the Foreword section of the review that adresses the issue.

I will be on the Epic in the fall of 2011 (Med cruise), so I enjoy reading the different reviews and comments on the Epic since it is a large ship and much like a small town you will have a wide variety of people and opinions. I want to thank the OP for taking so much time to show the problems with the ship. Many observations were valid and will help many of us to prepare in advance (example: no, I don't want to be on deck 8; should I change my cabin for a different configuration?; should I change my sail date?? Will they change out those sinks before my cruise;))

All good info, but sorry OP, but I thought your videos where kind of boring. Nothing new that others haven't already done. So based on the review will I cancel? No, I won't jump to conclusions, but I will be better prepared, which is what I hope the OP intended. The food can be mediocre - heard that, ate some of that, nothing new here. Buffet crowded in the morning? It can be on any ship, but I am an early riser and usually beat everyone else to the good tables - yes, that would be me with the good table by the window:D The entertainment is not exciting enough - again, sometimes its not, but it is a cruise ship, not New York. (FYI for those who have not been entertained in NY, it is fabulous;)) There always seem to be a lot of variety from NCL and I hope that will be the case next year.

My main goal in life is to avoid cruising a new ship, during summer vacation, to a popular summer destination, filled with 1600 kids. That would make me cranky... And if I did not like a large ship, with lots of people partying in the tropics for some well deserved R&R, then maybe I would wait and sail after some of the kinks were worked out, in the off season, with a different type of cruiser....wait, that is what I am doing;)

Or take another class of ship.

I admit to just a little tongue in cheek, but not in a mean spirit. OP, again, you did provide some valuable info to the debate and I am taking many of your insights to heart when planning my cruise on the Epic - in the off season, a year from now, with less children and hopefully fewer crowds..... many thanks!

Thank you for your comment.

Probably you've missed the Foreword section of the review that adresses the issue.

OP whether I agree with your review or not really doesn't matter as it is a compilation of your experiences on your cruise.

My review will be fothcoming when I have completed my cruise in November 2010.

I will, however, say that your photo of the freestyle daily from behind the bathroom enclosure had me on the floor....and the other photo of the enclosure in use is one of the funniest things I've ever seen here.....

I've seen your post on the NESS boards for months and to a certain extent I think your experience on Epic was a self fulfilling prophecy.....perhaps all of the obsessing over details on these boards leads some to view their cruise in a hyper technical/hyper critical manner. If you enjoyed making your videos and you enjoyed taking your pictures and measurements....then I am happy that the cruise was what you wanted it to be.

Having sailed Celebrity, and I enjoy Celebrity very much, I would suggest that you might enjoy that line in general, especially given the photos you took of hairy legs, flip flops and the infamous ping pong table.... things that you simply would not see on Celebrity....

For some, the sight of that ping pong table is a turn off...for others it is a welcomed sign of life and activity on a ship....

When I sailed Celebrity I was the only person awake on most nights after about 12:00 am....and it was practically lights out at 1:00 am. I was younger than 90% of the people on that ship and I had a fantastic time!!!!!

On this trip I am takig my 21 year old daughter and I believe she would be bored on Celebrity ....

I am taking her on a ship that I believe has a lot of bells and whistles.... for the young and young at heart!!!! I will miss some expansive sea views...and a full jogging track on a high up deck....but I'll survive without that......this trip is about what my daughter likes and I already know I will love this ship....

The balcony room is smaller than I am used to...and I appreciate your pictures....if I have to crawl over the bed to get somewhere I will have to do it..... oh well......

Give Celebrity a try...you may actually enjoy yourself......

Happy Sailing.........

Archived