Lusitanica's EPIC REVIEW with pics, videos, comments, etc.

lusitanica

Incorrect again. There were clear blue prints produced for this ship. Those were the standards it was built to. Marketing has nothing to do with it. Saying a "room is substandard" is different than "didn't like the room". I'm calling out your continued confusion between fact and opinion.

:D

You are confusing absolutely different things.

This may help.

Industry standards

Technical drawings

Not sure what you are getting at here. I advised that I misread my list of measurements, not the cabin layout. I have already apologized for having the info backwards. What are you trying to tell me now? Is there some other problem you have with my drawing?

~Intrepid <-- double-checked

Just put your measurements together as shown, and you'll see something to think about.

......and........when you are on the ships of the above examples.....Cunard, Silversea, Seabourn, Princess, Celebrity, and Holland America .......the public areas have a relationship with the sea.......which the new mega ships are missing.

This post is all you need to know about eroller:

I'll state the obvious, OASIS or ALLURE OF THE SEAS. I've sailed on OASIS, and I have visited EPIC, and while both ships are impressive, EPIC doesn't hold a candle to OASIS IMO.

If you like new, large, innovative ships you might also consider the new DISNEY DREAM. It looks amazing!

There is also the new CARNIVAL MAGIC as well.

Good luck!

Ernie

Talking about no connection to the sea.

An Oasis cheerleader on a negative Epic thread. What a novelty.

:D

You are confusing absolutely different things.

This may help.

Industry standards

Technical drawings

And what exactly ARE industry standards for a standard balcony cabin? The bathroom is non-standard by any definition. But this discussion was mostly about size. The shape is unusual but I'm not sure they are all that small square footage-wise...

This post is all you need to know about eroller:

Talking about no connection to the sea.

An Oasis cheerleader on a negative Epic thread. What a novelty.

Really? All you need to know about me? Lets see, I've been on CC since 2000, over 10 years worth of posts. You have been here a year. You choose to look at my posts and pick out what is convenient to your agenda. Well bravo you really proved your point (in your mind anyway).

I stand by the statement in that post. OASIS did blow EPIC out of the water IMO. It's just that, MY opinion. Yours may differ and that is fine. Many others may find EPIC more to their liking. In case you didn't know, this is what CC is all about. Expressing opinions and sharing information.

If you really want to read my thoughts on EPIC, how about reading the thread where I included my detailed thoughts and pictures? Oh, what a novelty that might be.

I must say I'm flattered I had such an impact on you that you felt it necessary to go in and read my posting history. Talk about a stalker!

In your case I smell a travel agent. Of course you wouldn't have an agenda would you?

Ernie

Not sure what you are getting at here. I advised that I misread my list of measurements, not the cabin layout. I have already apologized for having the info backwards. What are you trying to tell me now? Is there some other problem you have with my drawing?

~Intrepid <-- double-checked

Intrepid, have you ever gotten around to figuring out the square footage of your cabin? I would love to see your results.

Jingle

Thanks for the review. I felt it was very factual and will help me in managing my expectations for our upcoming sailing. I would much rather have my expectations in check, than get on board and feel underwhelmed. It will be fun cruise and I am looking forward to it, but I appreciate the insight and will know better what to expect.

Thanks!

Really? All you need to know about me? Lets see, I've been on CC since 2000, over 10 years worth of posts. You have been here a year. You choose to look at my posts and pick out what is convenient to your agenda. Well bravo you really proved your point (in your mind anyway).

I stand by the statement in that post. OASIS did blow EPIC out of the water IMO. It's just that, MY opinion. Yours may differ and that is fine. Many others may find EPIC more to their liking. In case you didn't know, this is what CC is all about. Expressing opinions and sharing information.

If you really want to read my thoughts on EPIC, how about reading the thread where I included my detailed thoughts and pictures? Oh, what a novelty that might be.

I must say I'm flattered I had such an impact on you that you felt it necessary to go in and read my posting history. Talk about a stalker!

Ernie

Actually I came across your post by accident. I was checking out some posts from the OP. Don't be to flattered. You are not that important.

The reason why I checked the OPs posting history is simple: based on posting history it puts an opinion in perspective. Which by accident puts your engagement in this thread in perspective as well.

This thread or the reason for this thread reads more like a 'viral marketing' in reverse.

How can Oasis blow Epic out of the water if you have not cruised Epic yet?

I cruised both and both are good in their own ways. I have nothing against Oasis. It is a good family cruise ship with a lot of stuff to do with RCCL staying tru to its own (Royal Promenade, Ice Rink, Flow Rider) with a few new ventures such as Board Walk, Central Park, Aquatheater and some expanded areas i.e. Solarium.

Nothing wrong with it.

But the hell I would trash any cruise ship before I even went on it. As a matter of fact I would be quiet and make not unqualified comments like "this blows that out of the water".

And you certainly can't compare both ships like apples to apples. Neither can you compare the Dream to the Epic to Oasis. The ships are not even the same sizes plus they are approaching a somewhat different market.

I may just be here for a year or so and I may not post much (I am mostly a reader) but it certainly does not invalidate my cruising history. And I would never make an opinion of one ship over the other not having cruised on it yet.

But maybe that's a little too much objectivity for you.

PS: If I would be a travel agent my agenda would be trashing Epic and promoting Oasis. Just looking at the cruise fares I would assume that Oasis pays much better than Epic. But that is an assumption based on what I paid to cruise Oasis compare to what I paid to cruise Epic.

(I had to edit and add the PS since you added your post to throw in that ridiculous assumption)

Ernie

I agree Ernie. The consistently higher pricing of the Oasis over the Epic tells me we are not alone. Oasis can command a higher price because it appeals to a wide range demographic. The Epic will never achieve a large mainstream following in her current form.

And what exactly ARE industry standards for a standard balcony cabin? The bathroom is non-standard by any definition. But this discussion was mostly about size. The shape is unusual but I'm not sure they are all that small square footage-wise...

You don't need to look for a book called "Industry Standards".

Just look at modern ships' de facto standard.

Standard balcony cabins (even smallest ones) normally include some "living space" ("marked" by a coffee table) and a proper bathroom that does not put restrictions on the normal use of the cabin (no privacy issues, you can go in/out any time, you can accept visitiors any time, etc.).

Epic "standard" balcony cabins (in fact studios) are designed in the opposite way.

The "living space" is eliminated as such.

Epic "bathroom" puts restrictions on the normal use of the cabin.

That's why Epic "standard" balcony cabins are below industry standards.

Needless to add that they are among the smallest if not the smallest square footage-wise.

Actually I came across your post by accident. I was checking out some posts from the OP. Don't be to flattered. You are not that important.

The reason why I checked the OPs posting history is simple: based on posting history it puts an opinion in perspective. Which by accident puts your engagement in this thread in perspective as well.

This thread or the reason for this thread reads more like a 'viral marketing' in reverse.

How can Oasis blow Epic out of the water if you have not cruised Epic yet?

I cruised both and both are good in their own ways. I have nothing against Oasis. It is a good family cruise ship with a lot of stuff to do with RCCL staying tru to its own (Royal Promenade, Ice Rink, Flow Rider) with a few new ventures such as Board Walk, Central Park, Aquatheater and some expanded areas i.e. Solarium.

Nothing wrong with it.

But the hell I would trash any cruise ship before I even went on it. As a matter of fact I would be quiet and make not unqualified comments like "this blows that out of thw water".

And you certainly can't compare both ships like apples to apples. Neither can you compare the Dream to the Epic to Oasis. The ships are not even the same sizes plus they are approaching a somewhat different market.

I may just be here for a year or so and I may not post much (I am mostly a reader) but it certainly does not invalidate my cruising history. And I would never make an opinion of one ship over the other not having cruised on it yet.

But maybe that's a little too much objectivity for you.

So in your mind you can't form an opinion of a ship unless you have sailed on it? Sorry but that is not how the human mind works. You can certainly read reviews, look at pictures, do some research, and very easily determine if something appeals to you or not, and even express an opinion about it.

In the case of EPIC I have not sailed on the ship, but I have toured it from top to bottom. Yes that gives me a limited view but at the same time I am cognizant enough to make valid determinations if there are things I like and don't like about the ship. Having been on both OASIS and EPIC, the OASIS was much more to my liking. Ask me about CARNIVAL CONQUEST and EPIC and I will tell you EPIC blows the CONQUEST out of the water. Interesting I can make that determination without even sailing on EPIC. When I sail on EPIC, and I do have a cruise on EPIC booked, then perhaps my overall opinion EPIC will change, but it's not going to change how I feel about the layout and some of the decor. I don't actually need to take a cruise to determine how I feel about those things.

It's sad you can't understand the difference. I still find it interesting that of all the negative comments and reviews about EPIC, you single out mine. I've never had any contact with you in the past, at least not on CC but perhaps on another board. Just very odd.

As for "trashing", who is trashing anything? I'm voicing my opinion just as you are yours. I have not trashed EPIC by any means. It seems to you as if someone has a negative viewpoint about certain aspects of a product, that is "trashing".

Just curious, have you taken on the role of moderator and you plan to check every persons posting history and post it on this thread, or am I just special? That seems like a lot of work. Perhaps you are not selling enough cruises and have too much time on your hands?

Good luck!

Ernie

So in your mind you can't form an opinion of a ship unless you have sailed on it? Sorry but that is not how the human mind works. You can certainly read reviews, look at pictures, do some research, and very easily determine if something appeals to you or not, and even express an opinion about it.

You are right.

Also I would like to remind respected Cruise Critic readers, that all ships are born on paper.

Naval architects can see the ship and "sail" on it before it's maiden voyage.

There are also experts and simply educated and experieced people which can tell what the ship will look like and how it will work before "setting their feet" on board.

This is how the human mind works.

The balcony cabins are not smaller than "industry norms", Lusitanica. They are over 200 square feet including the balcony, which is about the same size as the ocean-view stateroom we sailed on with Disney. Adkmom also posted sizes on a couple other NCL ships and the Epic room is larger. The fact is that you don't like the layout of the rooms and prefer square walls, enclosed single bathroom with deep sink, and maybe a wider, shorter room instead of a longer, narrower one. Maybe it's because you don't consider a balcony "living space" and would prefer that space to be inside. That's fine. You're certainly allowed your preferences, as is everyone else. You just need to stop stating your opinion as fact.

I was put off by the narrowness of the room when I entered, but got used to it. I thought the storage set-up in the room was the best I've ever seen, and it allowed us to get clutter out of the way which would have otherwise annoyed me. I really liked how the overhead bed folded up completely out of the way. The main bed was the most comfortable I've ever used on a ship. I loved the bathroom layout because we could multi-task, although the glass doors on the toilet area made flushing loud (but not unbearable). The lack of tv channels bugged me, but not as much as the fact they kept running the same taped shows over and over. I could have used another wastepaper can and maybe an outlet behind the couch. These are MY opinions on the room, and I would never make a factual-sounding statement like "this room is the best on the sea", OR the room is "substandard".

I think the information you posted is valuable to those seeking information on Epic, just like they find my and other reviews helpful. However, your laser focus on what you see as negatives to corroborate your pre-cruise points of view make this all look like you have an axe to grind. I'm not sure if this is with the "cheerleaders" on the board, NCL, or both. Some people are reading your review and thanking their lucky stars that they saw it in the nick of time before they booked on this frightful abomination of a ship. Others scratch their head at the total negativity and discount it completely. Hopefully most are in the third group who take this as one of many inputs into their decision on whether to cruise the Epic or not.

In the case of EPIC I have not sailed on the ship, but I have toured it from top to bottom. Yes that gives me a limited view but at the same time I am cognizant enough to make valid determinations if there are things I like and don't like about the ship. Having been on both OASIS and EPIC, the OASIS was much more to my liking. Ask me about CARNIVAL CONQUEST and EPIC and I will tell you EPIC blows the CONQUEST out of the water. Interesting I can make that determination without even sailing on EPIC. When I sail on EPIC, and I do have a cruise on EPIC booked, then perhaps my overall opinion EPIC will change, but it's not going to change how I feel about the layout and some of the decor. I don't actually need to take a cruise to determine how I feel about those things.

It's sad you can't understand the difference. I still find it interesting that of all the negative comments and reviews about EPIC, you single out mine. I've never had any contact with you in the past, at least not on CC but perhaps on another board. Just very odd.

As for "trashing", who is trashing anything? I'm voicing my opinion just as you are yours. I have not trashed EPIC by any means. It seems to you as if someone has a negative viewpoint about certain aspects of a product, that is "trashing".

Just curious, have you taken on the role of moderator and you plan to check every persons posting history and post it on this thread, or am I just special? That seems like a lot of work. Perhaps you are not selling enough cruises and have too much time on your hands?

Good luck!

Ernie

Like I said: that singling out was just coincidence. Your name in this thread just stood out because you were one of the very staunch defenders of the OP and when looking at the OPs history your one post was right there.

I doubt we know each other as I do not frequent any other forum. Wait, I do >>cruise<< around another forum once in a while (C.....M...) but do not post there.

Also I do not check on the history of every poster. The OP was a very obvious target since his thread is beyond a review of the 'normal' kind. As a matter of fact this thread has the sole purpose of attempting to 'proof' a bad opinion of a cruise ship which has been formed prior based on deck plans. In one year of reading reviews I had yet to read one who runs around with a tape measure.

If your opinion is based on a ship tour and deck plans - OK. I'll give you that. Oasis looks by deck plan much better than Epic.

I haven't done a ship tour on Epic or Oasis yet. So I do not have that thorough experience of both ships as it comes with ship tours. I just cruised both. (attention: sarcasm)

You should really give it a shot with Epic. In my opinion neither blows the other out of the water. Two totally different experiences. But both are good.

Subject: selling cruises

I am not sure what your constant references to the travel agent stuff are or mean. Maybe you can clue me in. I am not selling anything. I am building things.

But maybe you can clue me in on your Epic ship tour. I know my travel agent does these once in a while. Are you in the travel business? (just a question)

Subject: opinion

Sure you can have and state your opinion. But you also have to live with the fact that you or the OP can be contradicted by people with a different opinion. If you are being contradicted that has nothing to do with moderating a forum.

The only thing I can tell you from my point of view is that I like Oasis just as much as Epic. I like Oasis that much that I booked the Allure. And I like Epic that much that I booked another cruise on Epic.

Like I said earlier: two different ships, two different experiences, two great experiences.

And believe me when I say that I did not seek you out nor did I target you. It was really just circumstantial.

You are right.

Also I would like to remind respected Cruise Critic readers, that all ships are born on paper.

Naval architects can see the ship and "sail" on it before it's maiden voyage.

There are also experts and simply educated and experieced people which can tell what the ship will look like and how it will work before "setting their feet" on board.

This is how the human mind works.

There was a program on National Geographic (NATGO) called,

"Man-Made, World's Largest Cruise Ship"

5098-man-made-worlds-largest-cruise-ship-06_05320299.JPG

The Oasis of the Sea is the largest and most revolutionary cruise ship in the world. Apart from sheer size - with 18 decks, 2,700 staterooms and the ability to carry 5,400 guests - the ship is a high-tech vessel for the 21st century, presenting features that have never been seen on a ship before. To build it, designers and engineers are put to the ultimate test.

Read more: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/man-made/5098/Overview#ixzz112HhfQWt

Great episode about how they built scale models of EVERYTHING, including the cabins. In fact in one part they show R. Fain lying on the bed and he notices something 'different' about the ceiling lights. Highly recommended to watch the process of designing & building a ship.

I would LOVE to see such a show about how the Epic was conceived/designed and built. Unfortunately I bet no one over at NCL planned that far in advance.

By the way, Lusitanica, I'm curious about where your name comes from. Is it a combination of two cruise ships that sunk, killing over 2,700 passengers? I guess one could expect you to be a bit of a "glass half empty" kind of person. :)

The balcony cabins are not smaller than "industry norms", Lusitanica. They are over 200 square feet including the balcony, which is about the same size as the ocean-view stateroom we sailed on with Disney. Adkmom also posted sizes on a couple other NCL ships and the Epic room is larger. The fact is that you don't like the layout of the rooms and prefer square walls, enclosed single bathroom with deep sink, and maybe a wider, shorter room instead of a longer, narrower one. Maybe it's because you don't consider a balcony "living space" and would prefer that space to be inside. That's fine. You're certainly allowed your preferences, as is everyone else. You just need to stop stating your opinion as fact.

Would you please stop twisting my posts and criticizing me instead of speaking to the point?

The answer was given. Facts below.

You don't need to look for a book called "Industry Standards".

Just look at modern ships' de facto standard.

Standard balcony cabins (even smallest ones) normally include some "living space" ("marked" by a coffee table) and a proper bathroom that does not put restrictions on the normal use of the cabin (no privacy issues, you can go in/out any time, you can accept visitiors any time, etc.).

Epic "standard" balcony cabins (in fact studios) are designed in the opposite way.

Needless to add that they are among the smallest if not the smallest square footage-wise.

Thank you.

Like I said: that singling out was just coincidence. Your name in this thread just stood out because you were one of the very staunch defenders of the OP and when looking at the OPs history your one post was right there.

Interesting you think I'm a staunch defender of the OP. I've never had any interaction with the OP until this thread, at least that I can remember. I know others have followed the OP very closely since before EPIC was even launched. I wasn't one of them. What I am a defender of is a CC member's right to post a review, whether it be positive or negative, and not be subject to personal attacks. This is exactly what happened to the OP. Those posts have since been removed so you are not seeing the entire picture. I do think the OP did an amazing job, and it was a very interesting perspective of the ship. There was a lot of technical information and being a technical person I enjoyed that. I'm not as interested in hearing about the food or service because frankly they are too subjective. I also found humor in the OP's videos and tried not to take it all too seriously. They really made me chuckle.

I doubt we know each other as I do not frequent any other forum. Wait, I do >>cruise<< around another forum once in a while (C.....M...) but do not post there.

Ok, my mistake then. Perhaps you are not the person I was thinking you are.

I haven't done a ship tour on Epic or Oasis yet. So I do not have that thorough experience of both ships as it comes with ship tours. I just cruised both. (attention: sarcasm)

Well, like I said I have not sailed on EPIC (and never claimed to) but I did do a complete tour. I actually sailed on OASIS so of course you might think that gives OASIS the upper hand. Perhaps, perhaps not. It depends on how well the software experience is on EPIC. I can tell you my experience on OASIS was near perfect. Hopefully I will find out how EPIC stands up in January. By then EPIC should have been in service long enough for all the kinks to be worked out. First though is NORWEGIAN PEARL in Oct. and NIEUW AMSTERDAM in November. I have also sailed on close to 90 cruises on every line from Carnival to Silversea. This provides me with some experience to fairly quickly determine what is appealing and not appealing about certain ships (to me personally). I'm not loyal to any one line as I enjoy the variety of cruise lines too much. I do prefer some lines over others but I'm not opposed to sailing on any cruise line. I also like to try out the newest ship designs soon after they hit the market. I was VERY excited about EPIC, even more so than OASIS. For me personally, EPIC has not quite lived up to the hype, and there are disappointing aspects of the ship design ... again for me personally. This is not to say I think the ship is a flop or I will not sail on her, I just had very high expectations. It's actually natural to compare OASIS and EPIC because both ships claim to be the most innovative in the market, they compete for the same market share, are the largest and newest of two competing cruise lines, and both sail out of South Florida on 7-day Caribbean cruise. I certainly would not compare EPIC to a ship like SILVER SHADOW or even NIEUW AMSTERDAM. Different markets.

I am not sure what your constant references to the travel agent stuff are or mean. Maybe you can clue me in. I am not selling anything. I am building things.

The reference is because you certainly seem very familiar to a person I have interacted with on another board. Very similar experience. If that is not you, then my mistake.

But maybe you can clue me in on your Epic ship tour. I know my travel agent does these once in a while. Are you in the travel business? (just a question)

I am not a travel agent nor do I work for a cruise line. I happen to live in Miami where many cruise lines are located, and I have many friends that work in the cruise industry. The tour was arranged through a friend.

And believe me when I say that I did not seek you out nor did I target you. It was really just circumstantial.

Fair enough, but when someone pulls a random post of mine from a completely different topic, posts it to another topic, then pronounces "this is what I'm all about", I take offense and the guard goes up.

Ernie

I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

How about this. The Epic balcony rooms exceed industry standards.

The bathroom layout allows easier use by more people at the same time

The storage in the rooms is exceptional, far above industry norms

The beds and bedding are of superior quality

The rooms are highly energy efficient, with door and light sensors to maximize "greenness"

There are refrigerators that work, and coffee machines in each room

The lighting options are superior, with ambient lighting, reading lamps, etc.

I don't consider the presence of a coffee table the definition of a living area, nor did I miss it. One less thing to run your shins into.

You and I could likely go on and on about this. The facts are, we have different opinions on the rooms and how they match up with the "standards" we each believe to be important. I can guarantee you if you calculate an industry average across 50 different measures for balcony rooms, the Epic room will be all over the board on how it compares to others, both positive and negative.

Since you clearly can't see the point I'm trying to make, I'm going to stop wasting people's monitor ink on this fruitless effort. Best regards.

About Industry Standards.

66595607.jpg

26114236.jpg

I gotta admit.. it's kind of a turn-on when you guys bicker.

But the point of my post is to give you this information (excuse me if it's already been announced on this thread.) Post #116.

If you don't have time to check it out, it says the sink faucets have been replaced.

About Industry Standards.

66595607.jpg

26114236.jpg

Hold up now.....did you just quote your own prior post, as proof to back it up?

That's almost as funny as that other poster citing Wikipedia.

it's not credible!

How about this. The Epic balcony rooms exceed industry standards.

Hey mike I would simply say that the Epic balcony rooms are NON-STANDARD. I wouldn't say above or below standard.

The bathroom layout allows easier use by more people at the same time check

The storage in the rooms is exceptional, far above industry norms agree

The beds and bedding are of superior quality agree

The rooms are highly energy efficient, with door and light sensors to maximize "greenness" agree

There are refrigerators that work, and coffee machines in each room agree

The lighting options are superior, with ambient lighting, reading lamps, etc. agree with the exception of that blue light for the bendable light which I found disturbing at night!

Hey mike I would simply say that the Epic balcony rooms are NON-STANDARD. I wouldn't say above or below standard.

I think that's a very fair statement, Mr. L. Not better or worse (from a factual basis), but different. Depending on people's preferences they will have their own view of better/worse. My post was to show the contrary POV (but you realize this) :)

By the way, I agree with that little blue LED. We covered them up. I used one of my daughter's stuffed animals. My wife used a towel (and it STILL shined through somewhat). Did you also notice that little green light on the AC control? I did because it was right over my head. It was even bright enough for you to navigate the room in the middle of the night.

I think that's a very fair statement, Mr. L. Not better or worse (from a factual basis), but different. Depending on people's preferences they will have their own view of better/worse. My post was to show the contrary POV (but you realize this) :)

Absolutely Mike:D

BTW I find it REFRESHING to discuss matters in which people can have differing opinions without resorting to name calling! I only wish others could lear to communicate in such a manner.

By the way, I agree with that little blue LED. We covered them up. I used one of my daughter's stuffed animals. My wife used a towel (and it STILL shined through somewhat). Did you also notice that little green light on the AC control? I did because it was right over my head. It was even bright enough for you to navigate the room in the middle of the night.[/

I used my book for the blue LED. Loved the lights themselves not the blue part. As for the AC control - well since ours wasn't actually hooked up for the first 2 nights - no. Even after it was 'attached' I didn't notice any green light. Maybe it WASN'T working after all! But by day 3 the North Atlantic was very chilly and we didn't need any AC anyway!

Archived