Lusitanica's EPIC REVIEW with pics, videos, comments, etc.

lusitanica

We sail on Oasis this weekend, and on Epic in a couple of months. We watched your YouTube videos and it appears you would be happier on Carnival for your next cruise. Hope you find a ship and Cruise Line you enjoy more. We like NCL and are lookinzg forward to the Epic. We were on the Sky a few weeks ago, and we read so many negative reviews that just turned out to be wrong. So we take all of these negatives with a grain of salt. After 40 cruises on multiple cruise lines we have seen the best and the worst, and at the end of the day they all turned out to be great vacations.

I couldn't agree more that I see this 'review' as self-fulfilling prophesy.

I don't have a problem with this view. Lusitanica did indeed write of their "negative" views long before Epic sailed for the first time.

However (and you knew that had to be coming ;)), could not the same be said for many of the positive reviewers.

From the time Epic first appeared on the horizon, it had both its' detractors and its' defenders. All were equally adamant in their beliefs.

The ship sailed and some were effervescent in their praise of it, others were just wildly enthusiastic, still some were pretty happy with it, some were not so happy and some, much like lusitanica thought there was a whole lot better to be had in the cruising world.

Some of these folks had pre-conceived thoughts of this ship, while others say they did not. But who is to say any one of them is right, or is wrong. We may agree with them or disagree with them, but it doesn't make us right or wrong. It simply makes us beings with an (differing) opinion.

I don't like Epic, neither what it is nor what it portends to be. I believe that as a total package, Epic comes up short in comparison to some ships out there, including some within its' own fleet. As a cruise ship, I think it is an abomination. But that is strictly my own opinion. I have as much right to that opinion as anybody who thinks this ship is the epitome of cruising has to their opinion.

Like it, hate it, agree with it or not what Lusitanica has written is their opinion . . . . period. Nothing more, nothing less.

Doc - I'm looking forward to your opinions on the Equinox. I'm thinking about my next trip and interested in the Solstice class ships. We went on Epic primarily because I thought the kids would enjoy water slides much more than a "lawn", but I'm sure there are many nice things about the new Celeb ships too. I'm also considering the Dream, but I've never been a big fan of the garish decor and frat party reputation of the "fun ships".

Doc - I'm looking forward to your opinions on the Equinox. I'm thinking about my next trip and interested in the Solstice class ships.

Mike, here's a link to the Solstice demo - it shows the interior of their ship.

BTW - what happened to the monkey picture? What island was that?

Wow, that is a nice ship! Think I know what ship I'm booking my next cruise on (since I'm checking all of the of the lines out;) )

Wow, that is a nice ship! Think I know what ship I'm booking my next cruise on (since I'm checking all of the of the lines out;) )

Let me tell you the Solstice Class is stunning. Sophisticated elegance at it's finest. I've sailed on over 80 cruises on many, many different lines and CELEBRITY SOLSTICE blew me away with how beautiful the ship is. Very few ships compare in the decor department.

This being said, you can't sail on Celebrity and expect NCL. They are very different. Celebrity is more structured, more formal, more elegant. There are no intrusive announcements telling you when bingo is or the next gift shop sale. They actually respect you enough to figure you can read about the activities in the daily program. There is also a much less frenetic atmosphere and everything is more subdued and refined. You are not going to find the belly flop contests, pool slides, rock climbing walls, drinking till dawn, and the party atmosphere of NCL and Carnival. Just something to think about as you consider your cruise choices. Celebrity is not for everyone just like NCL is not for everyone.

Attached is a link to pictures I took during my cruise on CELEBRITY SOLSTICE. I hope you find the ship as stunning as I did.

http://gallery.mac.com/ekroller#100378

Ernie

Let me tell you the Solstice Class is stunning. Sophisticated elegance at it's finest. I've sailed on over 80 cruises on many, many different lines and CELEBRITY SOLSTICE blew me away with how beautiful the ship is. Very few ships compare in the decor department.

This being said, you can't sail on Celebrity and expect NCL. They are very different. Celebrity is more structured, more formal, more elegant. There are no intrusive announcements telling you when bingo is or the next gift shop sale. They actually respect you enough to figure you can read about the activities in the daily program. There is also a much less frenetic atmosphere and everything is more subdued and refined. You are not going to find the belly flop contests, pool slides, rock climbing walls, drinking till dawn, and the party atmosphere of NCL and Carnival. Just something to think about as you consider your cruise choices. Celebrity is not for everyone just like NCL is not for everyone.

Attached is a link to pictures I took during my cruise on CELEBRITY SOLSTICE. I hope you find the ship as stunning as I did.

Ernie

Thank you so much Ernie for the photos. Fabulous!!!! Celebrity really knows how to build a beautiful ship inside and out (no slight on the Epic, folks - really! I can't wait to sail her too)

Epic will be my first NCL cruise so I have nothing to really base any expectations on. LOL! I'm enjoying my time trying out different lines right now looking for my perfect fit. Princess was close:D Trying the Epic for my daughter really as it has many things that will keep her happy. We'll have a great time no matter what.

I'll definitely look at Celebrity for the next cruise though. Thanks again for the photos. Love them!

I don't have a problem with this view. Lusitanica did indeed write of their "negative" views long before Epic sailed for the first time.

However (and you knew that had to be coming ;)), could not the same be said for many of the positive reviewers.

From the time Epic first appeared on the horizon, it had both its' detractors and its' defenders. All were equally adamant in their beliefs.

The ship sailed and some were effervescent in their praise of it, others were just wildly enthusiastic, still some were pretty happy with it, some were not so happy and some, much like lusitanica thought there was a whole lot better to be had in the cruising world.

Some of these folks had pre-conceived thoughts of this ship, while others say they did not. But who is to say any one of them is right, or is wrong. We may agree with them or disagree with them, but it doesn't make us right or wrong. It simply makes us beings with an (differing) opinion.

I don't like Epic, neither what it is nor what it portends to be. I believe that as a total package, Epic comes up short in comparison to some ships out there, including some within its' own fleet. As a cruise ship, I think it is an abomination. But that is strictly my own opinion. I have as much right to that opinion as anybody who thinks this ship is the epitome of cruising has to their opinion.

Like it, hate it, agree with it or not what Lusitanica has written is their opinion . . . . period. Nothing more, nothing less.

I absolutely agree with you!! You only quoted one line of my post (which has disappeared), but my intent was to say basically the same thing. Opinions by definition are neither right nor wrong, though I think sometimes people have difficulty separating their opinions from fact - or at least acknowledging that they aren't shared by everyone. Positive or negative, one's outlook greatly affects how they interpret anything, and a vacation has so many areas that can depend heavily on perceptions and prior life experience. I fully expect to come home from my Epic cruise having fulfilled my own prophesy of a wonderful vacation on a wonderful ship. I have no illusions about my own preconceptions - but they're based on the factual information I've been able to garner from the reviews, comments, pictures and video I've seen so far - just as Lusitanica's were. Our personal interpretations are just different because we have different life experiences, different outlooks about many things, and different priorities.

On the other hand, there are places in the world where I will never go, because I have already decided that I will not like them. Might I be wrong? Perhaps, but I doubt it (I know myself pretty well), and there are so many other corners of the world to see, I'm sure I'll run out of time long before I run out of places to go. This is the number one reason I never expect to write anything other than a positive review. I know what I like and what I don't; I know what is and isn't important to me while on vacation; I know my own limits as far as amenities (or lack thereof) go; and I do my research. I'm pretty sure I don't have to explain it to you, though; you've made your own informed decisions, including not booking the Epic. :)

Thanks for the link.

I took down the monkey pic (it was Roatan) to fend off the "which one is the monkey" comments. :D

Ernie

Thanks Ernie. Beautiful ship. Looks way too nice for my motley crew. I might have to go back to RCI. :)

Thanks Ernie. Beautiful ship. Looks way too nice for my motley crew. I might have to go back to RCI. :)

You're welcome! Honestly if I had kids I would stick with EPIC, RCI, Carnival, and Disney. I think those are the best lines for families. Your kids might find Celebrity very boring especially after EPIC.

As a gay guy with a partner of 15 years and no kids, Celebrity is more our style, but I personally like all the lines and ships. My partner is a bit more picky. ;)

Ernie

Ernie

THAT is a beautiful ship. We've considered sailing on Celebrity again, but think we will miss the casual choices on NCL...Celebrity felt too formal for us; but Celebrity got us hooked on the butler experience also. Wish Celebrity could match NCL's suite experience also. That would make for an amazing cruise.

Friends, just to wrap up the "Solstice part" (because it's a bit off topic).

We considered the Solstice at the beginning, but the Epic won as a more extravagant "piece of machinery" with all the pre-history.

Care to extrapolate?

I asked before - did you have an enjoyable vacation?

Some of what you posted in your video & review may actually be encouraging to some cruisers. For example the ping pong table: while I don't drink and find that distastful others who like drinking may actually get excited that the Epic sponsors a pub crawl and encourages drinking games.

As for the amount of people on the ship I know that some people like standing in lines - it reminds them of home. To each their own.

One question I have that I haven't seen addressed anywhere - the Marketplace. Has anyone seen what this is supposed to be, other than a wind tunnel?

...Attached is a link to pictures I took during my cruise on CELEBRITY SOLSTICE. I hope you find the ship as stunning as I did.

Ernie

We cruised on the Celebrity Mille a few years ago. The Solstice is a stunning ship. Having said that, I would not want to cruise on Celebrity again....too structured and "stuffy". Sorry, I do not like to feel as though I am not dressed up enough when I go to dinner in capris and a nice blouse with dress sandals. That is the way I feel on Celebrity. I do not feel as though I dress down on NCL, RCCL or any other mass market line actually. and I have sailed on HAL too.

I love the casual atmosphere on NCL and love Freestyle. Can't wait to board Epic in a little more than two weeks.

One question I have that I haven't seen addressed anywhere - the Marketplace. Has anyone seen what this is supposed to be, other than a wind tunnel?

The Marketplace is mainly used on the last day for a sale of t-shirts and Epic apparel. Gets very busy as there are some real bargains to be had (2 t-shirts $20 etc). Rest of the week it is a bit of wasted space but does have some comfortable seating and is a good place to sit and read out of the sun and away from the hussle and bustle around the pool.

If the:

Two banks of elevators..

Lack of a true promenade deck...

The "gimmick" of undulating cabin walls...

Surface mounted bowl sinks...

Small pool and pool deck...

Were enough of a bother to mention them in this "review", you may want to reconsider your trip on the SOLSTICE, since that ship has the same "flaws"

If the:

Two banks of elevators..

Lack of a true promenade deck...

The "gimmick" of undulating cabin walls...

Surface mounted bowl sinks...

Small pool and pool deck...

Were enough of a bother to mention them in this "review", you may want to reconsider your trip on the SOLSTICE, since that ship has the same "flaws"

All true but the pools (and there are three) are larger than what I saw on EPIC. Also while the cabin walls do interconnect with each other, overall the cabin is wider with enough space for a coffee table in front of the sofa. I think the bathrooms on SOLSTICE are wonderful, some of the largest standard bathrooms afloat and a shower you can actually move around in.

Good points though!

Ernie

We cruised on the Celebrity Mille a few years ago. The Solstice is a stunning ship. Having said that, I would not want to cruise on Celebrity again....too structured and "stuffy". Sorry, I do not like to feel as though I am not dressed up enough when I go to dinner in capris and a nice blouse with dress sandals. That is the way I feel on Celebrity. I do not feel as though I dress down on NCL, RCCL or any other mass market line actually. and I have sailed on HAL too.

I love the casual atmosphere on NCL and love Freestyle. Can't wait to board Epic in a little more than two weeks.

Really good points and why a Celebrity cruise will certainly not appeal to everyone. I agree it's a much more formal, structured atmosphere. I don't think I found it "stuffy", but certainly more dressy than lines like NCL and Carnival.

If you never want to get dressed up and have little structure, I think NCL is the best line. This being said, I think EPIC goes a bit against the grain of Freestyle. From what I have read, for the best experience onboard it pays to plan a little and prebook some shows and restaurants. While I personally have no problem with that, it's not very "freestyle" so to speak.

Ernie

The Marketplace is mainly used on the last day for a sale of t-shirts and Epic apparel. Gets very busy as there are some real bargains to be had (2 t-shirts $20 etc). Rest of the week it is a bit of wasted space but does have some comfortable seating and is a good place to sit and read out of the sun and away from the hussle and bustle around the pool.

The problem with those seats that you mention is that it's right next to the ping pong table area so you really have to watch our for empty flying beer bottles while sitting reading your book. ;)

All true but the pools (and there are three) are larger than what I saw on EPIC. Also while the cabin walls do interconnect with each other, overall the cabin is wider with enough space for a coffee table in front of the sofa. I think the bathrooms on SOLSTICE are wonderful, some of the largest standard bathrooms afloat and a shower you can actually move around in.

Good points though!

Ernie

EPIC has 3 pools as well.

~Intrepid <-- splish splash

We sailed on the EPIC last month and had a great time. Nothing at all like this review.

We had aft balcony cabins (one for us and one for the kids) and thoroughly enjoyed them.

We did not pre-book anything before we left and the only things we did book were Cirque and the Ice-Bar and we did those earlier in the day on the day we booked them and went to them that night.

The Blue-Man Group was spectacular.

Cirque was hilarious and a blast.

The comedy club, the jazz club and the dueling pianos were all very good.

The bartenders were all very good and remembered us and what we drank.

We won over $500 in the casino at the craps table.

We bought a week long spa pass and spent 3-4 relaxing afternoons in the spa.

We went to both the standard and the pay restaurants and never had reservations at any of them. We walked up and were seated. No big deal.

Of course the food and service was top-notch at the pay an additional fee restaurants. Why wouldn't it be? You are paying extra for it.

We ate almost all of our meals (Including breakfast - except for when we had room service) at sit down restaurants so I can't say too much about the buffets on the pool deck.

The kids (two boys) liked the buffets - but then, they will eat anything.

The pool in the back was smaller but the other two pools were about the same size as normal.

The entire pool deck was very large and included really an entire water-park. Not only were there pools but hot-tubs (which there were a lot of and nice sized), the kids water area, the water slides and the fountain area. The pools also included shallow area so you could be in the water about 6 inches and still lay out.

These are not lap pools. I have never seen a cruise ship with pools that you can swim laps in.

The things that I did not like was the long walk from our cabin at the back of the ship but hey, it's a big ship and we booked aft cabins.

I also did not care for the lines to get off the ship in the ports.

Over-all good time and a good value.

This post is not a "difference in opinion". It's simply a smear campaign.

People come to Cruise Critic to find information, good and bad. I've read many posts that I don't agree with but that doesn't make them wrong. It just makes their opinion different than mine. That is not what has been done here.

This "review" is helpful to no one. The OP has a long history of trying to discredit this ship. It's unfortunate that people will come here and read this thinking that it gives any kind of a fair review.

Sorry, I have to disagree. It was actually very helpful to me. I'd like to thank the OP for the extensive time and effort into producing this written and visual review.

Hmmm. I have weighed the options of stepping in to this uh, debate... but that is why I wear asbestos undies while perusing CC.

1. I believe this is a self-fulfilling prophesy (for lack of a better term). I have always gone in to a cruise knowing I am going to have a good time, and every time I have.... some better than others, but still all "good". I just know I have had many discussions with Lusitanica on these boards, and now reading the review, it seems very much the same thing, word for word. Dare I say, I actually feel kinda bad for the guy. He was so bound and determined to prove that his conceptions were correct that is seems that he spent his entire cruise trying to "build his case". Personally, not the way I would want to spend my week. Example, CARNIVAL TRIUMPH, I thought that ship was a disaster, in a terrible state of repair, battered and worn looking... but I just moved on and enjoyed my trip. Is EPIC my favorite ship, no... I think the SPIRIT is, but I had a great time and felt that NCL delivered what I paid for.

2. The "issue" with lines. Personally, I never had a problem getting in to any venue. For Cirque, we arrived about 15 mins before the doors opened. At about that time, they pulled out all the people with standard seating and moved them to their own line. Then we were not all that far from the front of the line. Many think (and I tend to agree) that when you book Cirque you have an assigned seat... maybe not specific, but NCL has to know exactly how many fit in the space, and at what size tables. We were a group of 5 and we had to be at an 8-top or a 10-top to accommodate us, so they had to know that ahead of time. For BMG, again, we walked in about 15 mins prior to the show, and yes many of the seats in the center section were filled, we were quite happy in the 7th row house right.. on the aisle. Once the show started there were still plenty of seats. There are no "bad" seats in that theater that I could find. Just know you will not get the front row... everyone is trying for that... then just sit back in those big comfy chairs and enjoy the show.

3. I stood out on Deck 7 every night... I smoke. (Shoot me). I never once saw, heard or smelled anything from the HIDDEN! DECK, I did however notice the door up there. I dont know what they do on that deck, and I am not qualified to take a guess, I suppose that Lusitanica is tho.

4. Facts vs. opinion. Boy there are a lot of these. Much like before he left, Lusitanica states his opinion as facts and I have previously taken him to task on this. A few examples of uh, facts...

The superstructure looks like a huge storage container and is obviously out of place there. Obviously? I thought it looked funny at first in pictures and drawings, but when I was looking at her live, it did not stand out to me. Similarly, I think that the CARNIVAL DREAM looks very front heavy too. But, as I have said before, I am inside the ship, not outside and dont care what it looks like. Oh, and recycling the comparison shot of EPIC and a bus is just as witty as it was before.

Epic has no promenade deck, no observation deck. A concept “a ship without the sea” works here as well.

The corridors that give access to lifeboats on Deck 7 (“jogging track”) cannot be considered as promenade decks.

Both sides of the sun deck provide some views, but they are congested with chairs that hold our sweaty bodies under Caribbean sun. Just because it does not fit your description does not make it untrue. EPIC has a promenade... As far as the sun decks, your descriptions certainly are, uh, colorful. You can see the sea on decks 15, 16, 18 and 19. Every ship has loungers crammed on to their decks... that is the point of a sun deck

The passage between the bed and the sink is ~ 16 Are you sure? See, I took a tape measure aboard with me (one day I will draw out my room with all the measurements) and the distance from the foot of the bed to the cabinets was 30 inches.... quite a difference.

A sink has to be next to the toilet so that a person can complete necessary private hygiene procedures without leaving the toilet cubicle.

In Epic standard balcony cabin a person will have to leave the toilet cubicle and cross the bedroom to reach the sink. Apparently this is not a fact... every public restroom has a sink outside of the stall, many hotels do too.... even some houses do!

Epic cabins design looks contemporary, but it's not functional. Yes, it is functional. It is a cabin. It housed you for a week, the shower washed you and the toilet took away your waste. It is functional. Now, your comfort level with the room is a different story...but to tell people that it is non-functional is not true. Anything pressed up against frosted glass will be visible, frosting is to blur things behind the glass.

Epic has a theatre that accommodates 681 guests.

We had ~4700 passengers on board…

The theatre is too small for such a big ship. Obviously not if later you state that the theater was 3/4 full. Not everyone wants to see every show. BMG puts on 8 shows a week and using your seat count (did you count them?) 8 x 681 = 5448, that is 116% capacity. So, are we done talking about the "small" theater?

~Intrepid <-- doused in gasoline and ready to fry!

Archived