An American Prude

ship2sher

When we sailed out of Stockholm last year there were some mermaids on the rocks. No big deal and you needed binoculars to see anything. If this kind of thing offends they you should probably avoid most European beach areas and Aruba and .....

Mrsosci

Only if you're lucky.

It's not just Scandinavia. You're likely to see this over large parts of continental Europe.

I think it's disgraceful, personally. If God had meant us to see breasts, we'd have been born naked. And heaven forbid that small children might ever catch sight of a nipple.

I am not sure if you are joking or not.. I love topless beaches and would sinbath topless of i could too. Americans make to big a deal about breasts.

loved Vigeland park. .been twice. have tons of pictures from there.. if i loved in oslo I would go to sunbathe too. peopel have no clue what they are missing by keeping dressed on the beach.

We have been to a topless beach in St Maarten, in the Virgin isles,and most of the people who were topless, bottom less etc, shouldn't have been. We weren't, but, if we were, I would include myself in that group. Some people, especially those over a certain age, should NEVER be without clothes. :D:D:D

And for those that don't know what they are missing, think of the poor people who have to look at some of them. Have some pity.:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

We have been to a topless beach in St Maarten, in the Virgin isles,and most of the people who were topless, bottom less etc, shouldn't have been. We weren't, but, if we were, I would include myself in that group. Some people, especially those over a certain age, should NEVER be without clothes. :D:D:D

And for those that don't know what they are missing, think of the poor people who have to look at some of them. Have some pity.:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

I don't think those who sunbathe in the nude are doing it for the benefit of others, but rather for how it makes them feel. They aren't there to be gawked at.

Considering how many threads on these boards make a big deal out of the fact that only "shallow" people care how other people are dressed, I guess we need to extend that to "or how they look undressed."

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting posts regarding Europe considering I lived there for 3-yrs and traveled to 26-countries, never saw a nude person. When we embarked from Copenhagen on our Princess cruise, the Danes were in full tank-top mode hoping for rays and thats about the skimpiest I've seen Europeans wear their clothing. I found, if anything, they were better dressers than we are :p

Interesting posts regarding Europe considering I lived there for 3-yrs and traveled to 26-countries, never saw a nude person. When we embarked from Copenhagen on our Princess cruise, the Danes were in full tank-top mode hoping for rays and thats about the skimpiest I've seen Europeans wear their clothing. I found, if anything, they were better dressers than we are :p

I have lived in Sweden since 1997 ... that said, nudity (topless females) in the public parks, especially near the water, does happen. It is no big deal.

As I inferred in an earlier post, I wonder if the OP was not a troll. Sorry, but the original post was silly and I can't believe someone would actually be concerned about that. I notice they never came back for a report.

Just my opinion,

Al

• 1 month later...

This is a very, very funny, interesting and educational thread. Glad it gotten "freshened up"!!! My re-collection is that in Greece and for other art places/periods, at certain times, the women were fully clothed and the men had it all naked. Below are some art examples from Greece and Italy. Also below are some from the Vigeland Park in Oslo, etc.

Won't show any of my "natural" Greek beach shots. Just sticking to the old, historic "art" is safer . . . for educational purposes, of course.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some examples of "art" without clothing from the very historic National Archaeological Museum in Athens:

AthMusStatutes.jpg

AthWallSculp.jpg

AthMusMen.jpg

Michelangelo's David is spectacular for its details. It is 17' high and was done in 1504. When completed at the young age of 29, this work established its artist as the foremost sculptor of his time. It was moved "inside" to the Accademia in 1873 for safety. A copy exists on its original Piazza della Signoria site.

FlorencePerfectManStatute.jpg

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting. Its admission is free and the views and art are "priceless". Lots of art there with bare butts and no clothing.:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

OslVigPkWaterScul.jpg

Hmmm. Guess you never strolled around in the "Red Light" district of Amsterdam (always fun). But you are correct that its not that prevalent unless you are looking or happen to be in the right place at the right time (the OP would say wrong place). On our first visit to Nice (many years ago) we stayed at the very upscale Meridian Hotel. We decided to go up to the roof top pool to relax and the pool staff seated me right next to a gorgeous young woman who was "sans top." This woman could have been a Playboy centerfold and I had to work hard at not staring (my wife tried hard not to laugh). We have also seen lots of topless ladies on beaches in Greece.

Hank

Lest we forget that the USA once had an Attorney General who had a nude statute covered in the lobby of a Justice Dept building.

Hank

Or maybe a statue. ;)

And it was the statue of Lady Justice in the Great Hall. Many of us who work for the department were embarrassed by that. Amazing really.

Unfortunately, you did say it yourself. Prude= one who is oversensitive. Coming from the same background as you and then living in Europe for 3 years, I initially had the same first reaction. But please do note, that it is OUR problem. We are raised to associate nudity with being "bad", sleazy, unmoral.. but Europeons are raised much differently. What changed my way of thinking was observing a group of teens/preteens both male and female at a beach together. They all were in different stages of their anatomical development and not a one of them cared. This would be a full fledged nightmare of ANY teen in the US. They were being silly, regular kids.. no immoral, sexual overtones whatsoever. Not only were they accepting of each other - but they didn't care !! It blew me away! And I had to think to myself - What a pychologically healthy concept this was!!

I wished that experience upon every US teen out there struggling with their own identities during such an awkward time of their lives. The value that Americans ,like you and me, place on body image are making them SICK.. teens and adults alike. Eating disorders, plastic surgeries, self worth, identity crisises... my Lord, self worth does not come from the size of your breasts or penis or who sees it.. what a concept! Enjoy your trip and turn your head if you have to.

Unfortunately, you did say it yourself. Prude= one who is oversensitive. Coming from the same background as you and then living in Europe for 3 years, I initially had the same first reaction. But please do note, that it is OUR problem. We are raised to associate nudity with being "bad", sleazy, unmoral.. but Europeons are raised much differently. What changed my way of thinking was observing a group of teens/preteens both male and female at a beach together. They all were in different stages of their anatomical development and not a one of them cared. This would be a full fledged nightmare of ANY teen in the US. They were being silly, regular kids.. no immoral, sexual overtones whatsoever. Not only were they accepting of each other - but they didn't care !! It blew me away! And I had to think to myself - What a pychologically healthy concept this was!!

I wished that experience upon every US teen out there struggling with their own identities during such an awkward time of their lives. The value that Americans ,like you and me, place on body image are making them SICK.. teens and adults alike. Eating disorders, plastic surgeries, self worth, identity crisises... my Lord, self worth does not come from the size of your breasts or penis or who sees it.. what a concept! Enjoy your trip and turn your head if you have to.

Very well said sue.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Archived