Automatic service charges

Iwant2BatC

There is a cruise next year where if one signed up for all the overnite tours you could be off the ship as many as 5 or 6 nights and 7 or 8 days (out of 18). I would be curious to know how others would handle the daily service charges that are automatically added to one's bill? Normally, I am a generous tipper leaving extra besides the automatic service charges but when one is off the ship 1/3 of the cruise that seems excessive.

You are still going to eat and sleep on the ship. Doesn't matter how much of your day you are gone from the ship. The tip is for your wait staff and your cabin steward. They are still going to have to clean your room and serve you dinner.

Every cruise I've been on, I usually take daily excursions off the ship at each port. It doesn't affect the tip at all. Even on our New England/Canada cruise, the day/night in Quebec, we were gone for lunch and dinner, but didn't adjust the tip. It really is a small amount in comparison to what you have to pay for the cruise.

I am not a big fan of overtipping, but even I'd leave the $11/day intact if I were off the ship. I feel like I don't pay extra on Sea Days where I'm pestering the steward all the time, so I ought not remove the $11/day even if I'm off the ship all day.

My $0.02.

It would not occur to me to remove hotel service charge because I was off the ship. By that theory, perhaps we should discount all port days we leave the ship a proportionate amount per how many hours we spent ashore.

Why punish the stewards because you chose to take overnight excursions?

I think the key is, you could be off the ship, not that you necessarily will be off the ship. Some may be off the ship the maximum amount possible, but far from all. If the ship tried to adjust the service charge based upon shore excursions, it would be crazy!

As Agabbymama says, the staff will still check your room, turn down your bed, etc. It is not a large amount to worry about.

My mortgage payment should be less if I am on vacation and not at home ??

I don't see where the OP has asked about a reduction of the stateroom cost which is what your mortgage comparison would relate to.

What the OP asked relates more to whether or not you keep your butler hired while you are away from home on vacation ;)

I wouldn't even think of removing due to being off the ship. As others have said, you would still need your cabin serviced, and maybe have breakfast or dinner on board.

The OP is asking about OVERNITE tours. Your cabin does not need servicing if you are not there and you will not be having breakfast or dinner on board if you are not there.

The OP is asking about OVERNITE tours. Your cabin does not need servicing if you are not there and you will not be having breakfast or dinner on board if you are not there.

Yes I know. I said they MAY have breakfast on the day they left for the tour, and dinner on the day they come back.

I think what the OP is talking about -- there are several overnight excursions on their cruise -- possibly 8 nights when they won't be on the ship but staying elsewhere because of the excursions.

JMO -- but I would not be removing the Hotel Service Charge either -- the cabin stewards will still be going into the cabin the morning they leave for the excursions -- cleaning up the room, etc. -- and they will be back to check on the room as well.

As for final tips that OP may wish to give extra -- that is up to the OP how much he/she wishes to give extra being as they will be off the ship so many days.

When I was in Lima for 3 days many people went to Machu Picchu for 3 days so they were off the ship all that time. Yes, the staff did clean their room that morning and again when they got back so it reduced their workload. HAL charged plenty for this excursion. It would have been $3200 for me. The going rate to book this independently would have been around $1000. HAL is saving money on that pax not being around for 3 days. That said....HAL is pocketing the money not your stewards. I would not want to remove the auto tip because it's punishing the stewards in my mind.

I would never remove the hotel service charge, regardless of what choices I chose to make about staying on board the ship or not. The wonderful crew on board are amongst the most hard-working anywhere and will still be checking in on your accomodations to assure that all is in order for you, whether you are there or not. Why penalize the steward because of your choices?

I may however, choose to adjust the amount of any extra gratuity given at the end of the cruise, if you are prone to tip extra, that is.

I don't see where the OP has asked about a reduction of the stateroom cost which is what your mortgage comparison would relate to.

What the OP asked relates more to whether or not you keep your butler hired while you are away from home on vacation ;)

If you HAD a butler would you fire him everytime you left for a weekend trip or a two week vacation?:eek: If so you would be looking for a new butler all the time.:)

If you can afford an overnight tour, you can afford to tip the poor, underpaid crew stuck on the ship!

My ancestry is part Scottish... and even I wouldn't think of modifying the 'auto tip' because I hadn't spent a couple on nights onboard. ;)

I love to tip for good service. But, tipping for no service seems odd. I think what I am trying to point out is the automatic service charge really isn't about tipping at all. It is simply just a round about way of raising the price of the cruise. (even if it really does go to the crew) I wonder if there is some advantage to the cruise line by handling it this way? I guess people think they are paying less for the cruise than if it were added all together. I hope it doesn't get to the point where cruising becomes like the airlines - charging for blankets and pillows, food, etc. This seems a step in that direction to me.

If you can afford an overnight tour, you can afford to tip the poor, underpaid crew stuck on the ship!

If you can afford an overnight tour and a tip for the crew, certainly you can afford to pay an extra 10% for the airfare - the airlines aren't doing so well lately. Just mention this when you book the ticket, and give them your reasoning. It must happen all the time, what with all the people who can afford all this.

Archived