The "Shrek-ification" of RCCL

I'm just curious...is the plan to go fleetwide with the Shrek thing?

I have mixed feelings about it...I may not have many cruises under my belt, but I'm afraid it may get annoying...on the one Carnival trip we took, they had a guy running around in the "Whale Tale" Funnel suit...although it was cute, it definitely got to the point where it got annoying--he was everywhere--showed up at all the activities, was wandering around deck constantly, at dinner, at the shows, and also when we were at ports, he was there when we got off the ship, and again when we got back on...

I don't mean to sound like a grump-yeah it was cute, but it was WAAAY overdone. I just have visions of Mickey at Disney--if I wanted a "character" experience, I'd go on Disney...

Just my humble opinion...

:)

It is my understanding that, at least for now, the plan is for the characters to only be present on Oasis and Allure as well as possibly a couple of Freedom class ships. To what extent they will make their presence known remains to be seen.

And just as a note, I can't figure out at all how sedate and mature are at all equivelent. :rolleyes:

I'm just curious...is the plan to go fleetwide with the Shrek thing?

I have mixed feelings about it...I may not have many cruises under my belt, but I'm afraid it may get annoying...on the one Carnival trip we took, they had a guy running around in the "Whale Tale" Funnel suit...although it was cute, it definitely got to the point where it got annoying--he was everywhere--showed up at all the activities, was wandering around deck constantly, at dinner, at the shows, and also when we were at ports, he was there when we got off the ship, and again when we got back on...

I don't mean to sound like a grump-yeah it was cute, but it was WAAAY overdone. I just have visions of Mickey at Disney--if I wanted a "character" experience, I'd go on Disney...

Just my humble opinion...

:)

Funny because we have sailed CCL many times and have never seen Funship Freddy more than 3 or 4 times for the week.

I think the Shrek thing will be good for those that bring kids but may get annoying for the adults that don't have the kids with them...plus I am sure there will be some sort of Ogre gift shop to accompany this transformation...

It is my understanding that, at least for now, the plan is for the characters to only be present on Oasis and Allure as well as possibly a couple of Freedom class ships. To what extent they will make their presence known remains to be seen.

And just as a note, I can't figure out at all how sedate and mature are at all equivelent. :rolleyes:

Nah, just being honest. Sometimes the truth hurts. ;):D

Just my opinion, but it appears RCCL is trying to increase their market share of families with kids. I personally don't mind seeing the characters. It adds an element of silly fun to the trip and aren't we cruising to leave all serious issues behind us? I am.

Liberty and Freedom both sail out of FL, and Freedom is out of Port Canaveral in direct competition with Disney, so I would guess they are trying to compete directly for the families that may do the stop and Disney and then get on a cruise.

One of my favorite lines from Shrek...and all time laugh out loud characters "donkey"..

Just know, before this is over, I'm gonna need a whole lot of serious therapy. Look at my eye twitchin'.

I'm probably a bit warped but those characters appeal to more then the kids. The kids at heart like them too. As long as they're not sitting in my chair buy the pool, I'll get off the ship with just my eye twitchin a bit....

Shrek is fun :). I hope to see him on my first RCL cruise in May!

As for the Carnival Whale Tale... I went on two Carnival cruises, and on the first cruise, I really wanted to see him and get a picture. Never saw him. Second cruise I finally saw him at a dance class they held on the last day.

I'm pretty sure they won't have Shrek out at the more 'adult' events on the ship. It might be annoying if you do see him a lot, but think about how he's making some kid's day when they get to see him (for the kids that don't freak out and start crying when they see characters, that is).

While Shrek is fun and Im sure my DD (she is 22,lol) would enjoy seeing him on board, I can do without him.

I just hope it does not turn into another one of those deals like the pirate sticking a machetti into your neck for a photo op during the middle of dinner. Just leave the dining room.... and the solarium.... ALONE.

Do you know the date it starts on all ships - is it Jan 1 for all of them?

My cat looks like Donkey.......

I believe that he will be on Allure from its inaugural cruise, Oasis shortly thereafter or January at the latest,and Freedom and Liberty after they have come out of drydock. We will be sailing with two of our grandkids this November and I wish, for their sake,that he was onboard at that time. As far as I am concerned, I could probably not care any less and as long as they use some discretion as to the times and places where he is present and he and his fellow characters aren't constantly in my face, I should have no problem. Haven't sailed with Disney but I have been told that it is quite possible to sail on their ships and not be subjected to a constant barrage of Disney characters so I hope that the same will prove true on RCI. I know that while we are in Florida, we plan to take in Universal Studios and am actually looking forward to a Harry Potter experience(maybe even more so than our grandkids). I also believe that it is possible to be mature without sacrificing a bit of fun. ;)

We think that charactor actors are fine as long as they remain in the children's area while at sea, and perhaps available for pictures beside the ship at docking ports as long as they don't block walkways or attempt to interfere with adults trying to walk by.

As for MDR, atrium or other public areas of the ship...no thank you. I can pretty much guarantee if DH see a character actor on RCI too often, we will be switching to another line...which would make me sad.

Please RCI, deploy these carefully.

There is always HAL and Celebrity for those that want a more sedate(read mature) atmosphere.;)

I know I am going totally off topic, but are you the same Jumbicruiser who was going to school (medical?) in the Caribbean a few years ago with a girlfriend who worked for Royal Caribbean?

I used to read your posts when you were in school--if the same person. If not, sorry, I just remember the name.

I think it will be a cool experience onboard! RCCL will probably be able to handle it well. They will hopefully be able to keep the characters out of the adults hair and more directed towards the kids. They might stay nearer the kids areas, except during parades and such. And you have to remember that they won't be out 24/7 and they will probably keep a low-key and hopefully be able to make the whole cruise experience more fun. Besides, who has seen a Dreamworks film and not enjoyed it?

Have a good day!

-Ian :)

Archived