Unusual to sail with suites unsold?

pms4104

Curious whether Princess often sails with the full suites empty/unsold?

We are first-timers on Princess, tho we have cruised HAL often. Last week Princess called and offered us a Penthouse Suite (PH), even tho we had marked our booking "do not upgrade" ... well, it was a complementary move from a AA mini to the full suite. Guess they really, really needed our old cabin:D

So, now only 9 days out from sailing on the Grand, I look at Princess' website ... and I see that of all the 26 full suites on the ship, only four are no longer available for booking. And one of those is the one we accepted. That leaves 22 empty suites:eek: Is this unusual ... or normal?

Just wondering whether others will be moved up ... or if we'll be breakfasting near-solo in Sabatiini's.

Thanks for any insights.

Typically the suites are the first cabins to sell out.

But there are certain times of the year when a very different demographic sails, with very different economics.

Usually the last weeks before summer vacation, the first weeks after summer vacation, the weeks just before American Thanksgiving, and the weeks following the New Year's Cruise attract an older (average) crowd that is looking for a reduced fare cruise that matches their fixed incomes and general dislike of children and families running around.

This group generally avoids suites, spa treatments, shore excursions, any alcohol they have to pay for, extra charge restaurants, and buying photographs onboard.

They do tend to be very fond of inside cabins, extremely early dining, penny slot machines, bingo, and purchasing refrigerator magnets for relatives.

Depending on your personal likes and dislikes, sailing with this crowd can be a very relaxing and rewarding experience. Suite upgrades are sometimes plentiful, you can always get a table in the extra charge restaurants, and the ship is all yours after 10pm.

We are first-timers on Princess, tho we have cruised HAL often. Last week Princess called and offered us a Penthouse Suite (PH), even tho we had marked our booking "do not upgrade" ... well, it was a complementary move from a AA mini to the full suite. Guess they really, really needed our old cabin:D

So, now only 9 days out from sailing on the Grand, I look at Princess' website ... and I see that of all the 26 full suites on the ship, only four are no longer available for booking. And one of those is the one we accepted. That leaves 22 empty suites:eek: Is this unusual ... or normal?

Just wondering whether others will be moved up ... or if we'll be breakfasting near-solo in Sabatiini's.

Thanks for any insights.

If you do a fake booking on the Princess website, you will see that there are AB and AC minis available, other categories are gty only, and your categoiry, AA is waitlisted. That means a lot of people are gambling that they will not get an AA and be upgraded to a full suite. You just made room for one of those waitlisted people. EM

Typically the suites are the first cabins to sell out.

But there are certain times of the year when a very different demographic sails, with very different economics.

Usually the last weeks before summer vacation, the first weeks after summer vacation, the weeks just before American Thanksgiving, and the weeks following the New Year's Cruise attract an older (average) crowd that is looking for a reduced fare cruise that matches their fixed incomes and general dislike of children and families running around.

This group generally avoids suites, spa treatments, shore excursions, any alcohol they have to pay for, extra charge restaurants, and buying photographs onboard.

They do tend to be very fond of inside cabins, extremely early dining, penny slot machines, bingo, and purchasing refrigerator magnets for relatives.

Depending on your personal likes and dislikes, sailing with this crowd can be a very relaxing and rewarding experience. Suite upgrades are sometimes plentiful, you can always get a table in the extra charge restaurants, and the ship is all yours after 10pm.

Except for the inside cabin part you described me to a "T". :D

So, now only 9 days out from sailing on the Grand

Nice upgrade!

I wish someone would call me... I wouldn't mind trading my carefully selected cabin locaiton for a suite.

We'll be with you on the Grand next week - stop by the roll call if you have a minute.

Wendy

I agree with what others are saying on the waitlist. Many people book guarantee. In order to fill those spots they offer free upgrades. Another thing I've experienced with Princess in the past is they overbook. About 1-2 weeks out I've been offered a bonus to switch to another sailing. I've never done it but it's been offered a few times. Enjoy your suite!

What I've noticed is that Princess doesn't discount the price of the suites, at least for the cruises we've taken. They must fill them by bumping up passengers from mini suites. Or sometimes I've read that people have sailed in nearby cabins and noticed that the suites were not occupied.

Thanks for any insights.

Princess sails with their suites empty.

It is normal. IMO

What I've noticed is that Princess doesn't discount the price of the suites, at least for the cruises we've taken. They must fill them by bumping up passengers from mini suites. Or sometimes I've read that people have sailed in nearby cabins and noticed that the suites were not occupied.

The only large discount on a full suite we have ever received (except through a travel agent) was when we booked very early when the cruise was first opened for booking. Other than that, I have not seen a full suite discounted since. But booking through a good discount TA can give you some great full suite discounts, unlike the Princess pricing. :)

I'm not sure how many suites are on the Coral but on our last cruise, ,ost mornings, there were only two other couples in Sabatini's. In all I only saw three other couples besides us. The suite next to us was empty. so maybe they do sail with some empty

I'm not sure how many suites are on the Coral but on our last cruise, ,ost mornings, there were only two other couples in Sabatini's. In all I only saw three other couples besides us. The suite next to us was empty. so maybe they do sail with some empty

There are not too many, and if a couple are empty then it would be slim pickings in Sabatinis.

Well, we are on Grand with you next week. Our cabin is so small that the steward wears rags on his arm and then twirls to clean the room. Not complaining as we are happy with the price and the room, but if they called me and offered an upgrade I would be even happier. Maybe when I am a big boy I will pay for a suite!

I think previous posters have mentioned that they don't offer discounts on the suites as they feel people won't just book them and will hold out for a discount. This seems to make sense to me. If they are struggling with certain itineries to fill them they probably take the hit.

I might find a steward in the suite area and pay him or her 500USD to let us live in the suite on the quiet!

See you next week.

Matthew

I might find a steward in the suite area and pay him or her 500USD to let us live in the suite on the quiet!

Matthew

That's a thought!!!! Don't know how he'd get you a cabin card and he'd probably get fired but it might be worth a try.

One evening when we were sitting out on our balcony, the outside balcony light to the suite next to ours came on. I only had a small crack to see thru but a man was out there talking on a cell phone for 45 minutes. It wasn't our steward but from what I could tell, had the same type of clothes on. I suppose there aren't very many places they can have a private conversation.

On our next cruise (5 weeks away) we have a suite booked and half of them are still unsold. I hate to say it but it's kind of upsetting to pay full price and then have so many people pay less than half the price of what we paid. I wish they would start discounting them close to sailing. I'd wait, and even if I had to pay $300 more for my flight - it would still be worth it to wait until the last minute.

That has always been our experience even when all cabins are sold. Not too many suite passengers seem to take advantage of that perk for some reason. Of course we are only in there long enough to have breakfast and they may come after we have left.

Mike:)

That has always been our experience even when all cabins are sold. Not too many suite passengers seem to take advantage of that perk for some reason. Of course we are only in there long enough to have breakfast and they may come after we have left.

I would guess that suite passengers come and go all morning long during breakfast at Sabatinis. And there are some who prefer breakfast on their balcony so many mornings they dont' show up at all. ;)

We have seen as few as two tables full at one time, other times there are a dozen.

I used to believe that it was hard to find a discount on those full suites, but not any more. Got in on a Flash Promo last week and booked one of those new Window Suites on the Caribbean Princess for less than a balcony, and far less than what Princess wants. It's the 11/14 sailing from San Juan, in case anyone is interested.

We're very excited as it's our anniversary cruise and since we've never had a suite, that just made it much more special. :)

I used to believe that it was hard to find a discount on those full suites, but not any more. Got in on a Flash Promo last week and booked one of those new Window Suites on the Caribbean Princess for less than a balcony, and far less than what Princess wants. It's the 11/14 sailing from San Juan, in case anyone is interested.

We're very excited as it's our anniversary cruise and since we've never had a suite, that just made it much more special. :)

Only problem with the price being less then a balcony is you will not have a balcony in the WS.

I would need that balcony regardless of price. :)

How can you see what's unsold? I've wandered around the Princess site to no avail.

Try doing a pretend booking and click around thru the various cabin categories ... that's how I discovered so many empties.

DA--- I guess that slipped my mind - I thought everyone went for a late breakfast - 8:45

Archived