Kindle Question

Live4cruises

....... What about other cruiselines though?........

Hello Judy.... I can't answer that question but realized most of this page has focused a great deal on using the Kindle for something other than its primary purpose of being a great way to read books! I agree that the 3G web capability gives the Kindle a distinct advantage & I will definitely plan to use it for checking e-mail on a cruise. In testing this function out on my wife's Kindle, I found it somewhat awkward to navigate the web using the small keyboard & unfamiliar (to me) cursor controls. IMHO, It will be ok to use for the web on a limited basis when a PC with free web access is unavailable. I love reading books with the Kindle & Kindle software on my iPod Touch. It is a great way to travel with as many books as you want without worrying about excess luggage fees on flights. The somewhat limited 3G web capabilities just adds a little icing on the already delicious cake. ;)

If someone here doesn't answer your question, perhaps you can ask it on the main board of the cruise lines you are wondering about. :)

Hello Judy.... I can't answer that question but realized most of this page has focused a great deal on using the Kindle for something other than its primary purpose of being a great way to read books! I agree that the 3G web capability gives the Kindle a distinct advantage & I will definitely plan to use it for checking e-mail on a cruise. In testing this function out on my wife's Kindle, I found it somewhat awkward to navigate the web using the small keyboard & unfamiliar (to me) cursor controls. IMHO, It will be ok to use for the web on a limited basis when a PC with free web access is unavailable. I love reading books with the Kindle & Kindle software on my iPod Touch. It is a great way to travel with as many books as you want without worrying about excess luggage fees on flights. The somewhat limited 3G web capabilities just adds a little icing on the already delicious cake. ;)

If someone here doesn't answer your question, perhaps you can ask it on the main board of the cruise lines you are wondering about. :)

Obie,

I have a question about text to speech. How do I turn it on? Have you used it? I know the book has to be enabled.

Also how do I move a book off the home page? I feel stupid but I can't find the info anywhere. Thought you might know.

Obie,

I have a question about text to speech. How do I turn it on? Have you used it? I know the book has to be enabled.

Also how do I move a book off the home page? I feel stupid but I can't find the info anywhere. Thought you might know.

Hi Michelle... I have not personally used the "Text-to-Speech" feature yet but my wife has. Basically, if the book is speech enabled, just press the "Text" key & select "Text-to-Speech -- turn on" for the Kindle to start reading to you. You can hold down the "Shift" key and press "SYM" key to stop or play. Instructions for this feature can be found by pressing "Home" then "Menu" then scroll down to & select "Experimental". On the next screen, you can read "Text-to-Speech" instructions.

To remove a book from the home page, press "Home", scroll down to select the book to take action on & press the right cursor key to bring up an options page where you can choose "Remove from Device".

Hope this helps. :)

Doesn't anyone do like me and just go to the local library to check out a book?

I used to. We had the most wonderful community library. Huge, clean, extensive selection of books, movies, music... A great place to spend a few hours on the weekend. Also a terrific website. Then we had to move do to a transfer by my dh's employer. The library where we are now is sad. Dirty, limited hours,very limited collection. They also charge a fee for current releases, which I understand I guess if they are that cash strapped, but at a point I might as well buy the book.

I received my Kindle last Thursday. Love it! I guess if I have one complaint it is that I can't be as careless with it as I could all of the paperbacks I used to buy. No more sitting down to read with a big bowl of greasy chips. But I supposed that is a good thing.icon7.gif

I guess if I have one complaint it is that I can't be as careless with it as I could all of the paperbacks I used to buy. No more sitting down to read with a big bowl of greasy chips. But I supposed that is a good thing.icon7.gif

Do what I do, eat with one hand, turn pages with the other...;)

Gosh, I'm pretty tech savy and current - or I thought I was! I can't quite get beyond loving the "feel" of a book in my hands. And my books are filled with notes in the margins, etc.

Might be because my reading is still 95% professional and political. I actually enjoy both! I was a voracious reader of fiction until I went to graduate school in my 50s.

I too have always filled notes in the margins and corrected typos etc ... the irony is that with a Kindle (and possibly other eReaders), you can do the same - highlight passages, make voluminous notes anywhere, anytime, and the best part is you can review them in a separate file whenever you want - don't have to pull the book out and thumb through it to find just the right note you had left or that special passage.

Once I discovered all of this, that was when I bought my Kindle.

harry

How do I find some free books? Do I go online to Amazon where I saw a list of them when I ordered the Kindle because I can't find any listed on the actual Kindle. However, they are suggesting a slew of books about cruising for me. So much for privacy.

How do I find some free books? Do I go online to Amazon where I saw a list of them when I ordered the Kindle because I can't find any listed on the actual Kindle. However, they are suggesting a slew of books about cruising for me. So much for privacy.

Hi... I've posted this link before. Click here (formerly called Kindleiq.com) now Ereaderiq.com & click on the "Free Kindle Books" tab to see some of the many free books currently being offered. I signed up for notices by e-mail and get something from them almost every day. Just enter your e-mail address in the box that reads... "GET NOTIFIED WHEN FREE TITLES ARE ADDED" if you'd like to receive these notices... Enjoy your new Kindle! :)

For free books on Kindle: Wireless must be turned on, Go to the Kindle store, select kindle top sellers, in upper right corner (right under battery indicator) you will see Kindle Top 100 free, click and enjoy! Sometimes I just don't find anything and other times I do. Have fun!!

Hi Michelle... I have not personally used the "Text-to-Speech" feature yet but my wife has. Basically, if the book is speech enabled, just press the "Text" key & select "Text-to-Speech -- turn on" for the Kindle to start reading to you. You can hold down the "Shift" key and press "SYM" key to stop or play. Instructions for this feature can be found by pressing "Home" then "Menu" then scroll down to & select "Experimental". On the next screen, you can read "Text-to-Speech" instructions.

To remove a book from the home page, press "Home", scroll down to select the book to take action on & press the right cursor key to bring up an options page where you can choose "Remove from Device".

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you this helped alot. Duh me!:D

For free books on Kindle: Wireless must be turned on, Go to the Kindle store, select kindle top sellers, in upper right corner (right under battery indicator) you will see Kindle Top 100 free, click and enjoy! Sometimes I just don't find anything and other times I do. Have fun!!

Thanks ! Nothing there for me today.

Today, I asked "the birthday bunny" (aka my wife) for a Kindle 3G + that new case I linked this morning. She said "of course"! :D I see we have cruises leaving within a day of each other... may they both be tons of fun!

I can't seem to find a place that tells how heavy any of the covers are.

I have an M-Edge Latitudes zippered case and love it. It is fabric, lined, and the zipper really keeps my Kindle protected wherever I take it. It has a zippered pocket for your charger and light if you get one. I just weighed it for you- 5.4 oz. I bought it online- there are many sites that carry M-Edge including Amazon.

I have an M-Edge Latitudes zippered case and love it. It is fabric, lined, and the zipper really keeps my Kindle protected wherever I take it. It has a zippered pocket for your charger and light if you get one. I just weighed it for you- 5.4 oz. I bought it online- there are many sites that carry M-Edge including Amazon.

FYI--Staples is now carrying this cover in their Kindle display area.

i bought a zippered pouch from target for K2 on clearance for 7 dollars. It has a place to store power cord and ear buds. It has protective padding for both to be stored together. They also have one exactly like it but a little smaller for K3 was 29.99. They also have the 59.99 w/ light from amazon there.

Hi Mamaifami... On Amazon, you can scroll down to read "Technical Details" where the cases I checked show between 11 - 12 ounces "Shipping Weight" which should mean about 6 ounces of actual weight for the cover. You can also click on customer reviews for a given item, open up "See all reviews", press "Control Key +F" on your keyboard for "Find", type in weigh then click "next" to see each instance of a word with "weigh" such as weight or weighs. I tried this on the Amazon $34.99 case & someone had, indeed, weighted it & reported something like 6.5 oz.

My "Control + F" instructions are good for Internet Explorer 8 that I use. I believe all browsers have some version of this "Find" feature. My specific instructions work with IE8.

Also, on the subject of free books, did you check out the link I gave you on previous page & register for notifications?

It's been fun reading everyone's experiences with Kindle, Nook, and iPad. I have a Kindle 2 (had to replace my Kindle 1 after accidentally leaving it on an airplane). I hope the "lucky" recipient appreciates my absentmindedness. I was not happy that Amazon couldn't intercept its use when that person most likely tried to register it on Amazon. But I digress...

I also have an iPad, as of about 1 week ago. I love the flexibility of the iPad for apps and Web browsing, but still prefer my Kindle for reading. It's much easier on the eyes. I did, however, download the Barnes & Noble Nook app to it so I can hopefully get e-books from the library (something that I didn't know was possible until reading this thread -- thanks all!).

My favorite use for the Kindle, beyond reading downloaded books of course, is to be able to read Web content / articles, etc. that I've saved to pdf and moved to my Kindle. There's never enough time to read the content I want to read, or need to read for work. This has been a good way to catch up on reading the articles people suggest or that I run across and want to spend some time with.

I love being able to increase the font size. I like the text-to-speech when I don't feel like reading -- although the computer-generated voice isn't perfect. It doesn't deal with punctuation very well and the sentences tend to run together.

But most of all, I love not having to decide ahead of time what I'm going to be in the mood to read. I can take a huge library with me and pick what I'm in the mood for at any given time. And since I'm usually reading multiple books at a time, the Kindle keeps my place saved in all of the books.

Lastly, I wanted to mention that the Kindle now has games that work on it. The Scrabble game works great, although I'm still figuring out how to run the crossword puzzle games that are available. (They may rely on the WIFI Kindle -- and mine is 3G only.)

I know those of your who have recently bought Kindles will enjoy them. Mine is definitely going with me on my Pacific Princess Holy Land cruise from Venice to Athens in 28 days!

Archived