Tips on how to plan a cruise for a group?

tizzylizz

Please give me tips on how to go about planning a cruise for a group of about 10-12 couples. Not sure where to begin & how far out we should start planning.

We do know that we want to take a Caribbean Cruise...sometime between Feb. - June of 2012.

I know that sounds far away, but, how soon should be pick out a cruise?

thank you for any advise!

It's never to early to start your planning. I personally would go to a travel agent so that it takes all the work off of you. The travel agent should get the booking info from each couple, if they have a special need you don't want to not realize you needed to ask it, if they have questions they can call the agent and he or she can get that info for them. Will save you a lot of work and if you give them the wrong answer you have hear about it forever. Let someone else do the work and you can have the enjoyment.

Get a good TA.

If you choose to do it yourself, you will become burdened with a lot of work that could have been done for you.

You probably will find yourself calling couples to tell them to make their final payment. consulting with each about dining. Linking all your reservations together. Quibbling for them about all issues that arise with the cruise line (there are bound to be a few). You'll end up being the person researching about shore excursions, car rentals and and and

I would strongly suggest you get a TA to do this for you.

YOU won't be blamed for things that might go wrong if a TA handled the planning.

I have always joined groups but never was responsible for one but as everyone said, especially patseacruiser (trust us, SHE KNOWS) start with a travel agent. One that you can meet face to face would be my first choice. Also ask him/her if you qualify for a free berth since you seem to be the group leader. Or even about points - something I am not all to familar with but it seems that groups get so many points which can be used for OBC, a bottle of champagne/wine or a group photo. A good TA should be able to explain all this to you.

If you're going to use a TA you'll probably be offered a number of additional amenities, depending on the group size. To make sure there are no misunderstandings further down the road be sure to get all of this in writing up front. You and the TA should draw up a simple "contract" along the lines of:

If final group size is 8 double-occupancy cabins or less the cruise line will provide amenity ABC and the travel agency will provide amenity XYZ. Any tour conductor credits (the "free berths) will be figured on the following formula (could be by the cabin category most booked, some average of the group fares, etc) and WILL NOT include taxes/fees or whatever.

If the final group size is 9 - 16 double-occupancy cabins the cruise line will provide the above amenities plus whatever.

And so forth. Too many groups end up with a sour taste in their mouths because of misunderstandings over what is due to them.

And, if at all possible, ask to see the actual group contract from the cruise line. Some travel agents have been known to take some of the cruise line's amenitiy points as a bonus commission rather than passing it on to the clients. That's perfectly OK if everyone agrees to it but I think the clients need to know if this is happening. If the TA won't show the group contract (many won't) I would be curious as to why. They can certainly black out their earned commission -- that's no concern of yours -- but if a group sailing qualifies for 50 amenity points you want to make sure that all of that floats down to you, not just half of them.

Thanks all....I guess I'm getting a TA. :) I would have never thought to do that.

Now I'll have to find one in the area here.

But ..... if you do it yourself, you will be able to collect all of the money, make all the plans, pick the ship, the itinerary, you can be the moderator for the many disagreements, and everyone will really really really appreciate all of the incredible amount of work and aggravation you have endured.

:eek:NOT!:eek:

But ..... if you do it yourself, you will be able to collect all of the money, make all the plans, pick the ship, the itinerary, you can be the moderator for the many disagreements, and everyone will really really really appreciate all of the incredible amount of work and aggravation you have endured.

:eek:NOT!:eek:

And have someone mad for this, that, or another.

When contacting an agent, have a date in mind. With the dates mentioned, it falls in spring break, which is a biggie for cruising.

I acted as group leader/TA for a group of 11 couples going on a cruise. I gained a new respect for what good travel agents do.

Find, if you can, a good TA who has done group bookings before, even small groups. With 10-12 couples in your group, ask the TA if they will come and meet with the group early on to solicit their desires and explain options.

I hope you are successful and that you and your group have a wonderful cruise! :)

Again thanks everyone for more tips. That would be a great idea if I could have the TA come and talk to us as a group.

You are right johneeo..haha...when you look at it that way, it is a lot of work. AND...you can never please everyone.

Gues the TA is the way to go if I want to keep these people as friends. :)

Carnival is pretty much doing away with groups. No incentive to book as a group.

You might also consider having prople book on their own and not tying everyone up with a group rate, see if its a better deal. It very well might not be your best bet. BEWARE.

We had a TA who I swear marked up groups, we sure paid more than had I booked on my own on a Princess cruise and I was too much of a newbie to check prices booking direct. Never used that TA again either.

Okay, just wondering......guess you can still get as good of deals going thru a TA? Just in case one of my friends think we can do it cheaper our selves....

I like booking direct myself. You can then have the bookings linked so everyone sits together.

Nothing against TAs, but do be aware if you have issues, you cannot now call the cruiseline to get questions answered. Have to go thru the TA for everything. Price drop .. does the TA honor them?? Many dont want to bother (I had one tell me $30 pp wasnt worth their time). Does the TA charge any fees ... if so, why potentially pay more to use a TA. Ask about fees and how they handle price drops up front.

Okay, just wondering......guess you can still get as good of deals going thru a TA? Just in case one of my friends think we can do it cheaper our selves....

Not to be blunt, but... If someone tries to pull the "cheaper" card, let him/her be the planner.

Cruise lines highly regulate the fares and there are no real discounts, aside from OBC or other "incentives" provided by TAs.

Your best best is to find a local TA who has sailed many cruises and booked many groups. He/she will understand and anticipate all the challenges of such an endevor and guide your group around them.

As for asking them to speak to your group, I think that is a great idea! Host an afternoon or dessert reception, and invite the TA and all travelers. Great way to get questions answered.

..... if so, why potentially pay more to use a TA. ......

I am one of those that believes you get what you pay for. If you want the best, go with experience, and pay for it.

If you want cheap, you will get cheap, and then some, in the way of aggravation, wasted time, and loss of friendships.

If you needed brain surgery and your auto mechanic could do it cheaper, would you allow that?

I would not even consider going on a group cruise if it was being planned by my Aunt Tillie.

Use a professional cruise travel agent who specializes in groups. You can expect to pay for it through a bit higher rates, change fees and cancellation charges. However you are given the benefit of locking in a package price for a longer period of time than typical.

If someone in the group wants to DIY and pay a DIY price, typically they will not be allowed any of the group benefits, to dine with the group, or get any of the perks available to the group.

If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you hire an amateur.

• 10 months later...

I hope you guys don't mind, but I am going to revive this year old thread.

As I read the posts in this thread I am beginning to ask myself "did I miss something?" I have organized a group cruise for my wedding on the Carnival Glory Jan 8 2012. My fiance and I bought our tickets knowing we were going to invite all of our friends and family to come but not be sure if anyone would actually join us! We sent out wedding invites, made a free wedding web page with cruise info, booking info etc. We did everything ourselves and it was never much work, it's a lot of fun actually.

So here I am on the boards doing some research for the "welcome aboard package" we are sending to our guests and I am wondering...did I really miss out not using a TA? If I am...it sure doesnt feel like it. Sometimes DIY can be a really good thing...

Sounds like you picked the date, booked your cabin and provided friends and family with the necessary info so they could book if they wanted to.

A TA would have gotten a block of cabins, so you could all be together. If you had enough people, you would have gotten one or more free people. You would probably have gotten some OBC for each cabin.

I've organized our "friends and family annual winter Caribbean cruise" now for several years.(over 20 nad way before you could do so much on line) Do all of your research regarding the line/ship/itinerary/dates on line and then, yes, get a good TA! Pick the cruise you want, advise the TA approximatley how many folks might be traveling, (s)he will contact the group dept of the cruise line and advise you of prices (I've always asked for prices for inside, oceanview and balcony cabins) Share the info with your friends and have them contact the agent regarding questions/bookings. Depending how big the group is and the line your sailing on, you should end up with some extra perks and better pricing than if you just choose a cruise, tell your friends and suggest they book it with "whoever".

Setting up groups are definately a task to tackle... I wanted to get a 'group' for a 12n cruise from Baltimore so that we had people we knew onboard with us... There was no issue with price, it was a great deal. I set up a group directly with the cruise line and was offered a $50.obc for each cabin and also offered the amount of a free berth (at 8 cabins reserved) equal to the 'most booked category'... We didn't get enough cabins to recieve the free berth, but they still honored the 'group' and the 3 cabins that did book are still going to recieve the $50.obc.

In regards to the OP and is it a lot of work... Yes, it is. Calling, emailing...etc all of the people that 'want to go' on the trip trying to find out if they are going or not... Calling the cuise line every week to see if anyone signed up b/c they didn't email you back saying either way... If you don't get enough for the 'group' in time, calling the cruise line, again, to get an extension for the group contract...

Would I try and set up another group? Yes and No... Yes if it's a shorter cruise. No, because it's a good amount of work that will make you crazy chasing friends and possibly cause that friendship to stress because of a missed detail or forgotten question... If you can get a group to agree on everything BEFORE setting up a contract for a group cruise, it is definately easier on everyone... Call the cruise line directly and see what they offer...

I arrange a group cruise for our family every year. It can be a lot of work , you have people that send in the deposit , but when it is time to make the larger payment , there are always issues. Just know that it you are going to be the lead person it can be stressful , but once on board it's so much fun when you have a big group of family and friends

CoachT said it best: If you think a professional is expensive, wait til you hire an amateur.

An informal dance group I travel with has a preferred agent who's a dancer and knows our requirements; his prices are reasonable although not the cheapest, and he travels with us. One European cruise, the airline cancelled the flight and the alternative arrived too late to catch the ship (I had traveled earlier). The guy worked 16 hours sorting out the mess- that alone was worth every penny of the commission the group paid.

Archived