Transferring booking to T/A for OBC?

Last week I booked a 2br suite for my family (5), if I switch to a TA what could I get? I didn't make the final payment yet but it will be 4500+ for the cruise

As of October 6, you only have 60 days to transfer it to a Travel Agent.

I talked to one ta and they said they would give me a "gift" if I transfer it to them but didn't say what. I'm giving them com. on a 5 thousand dollar cruise, I don't think its asking to much to get a few drinks paid for onboard. I hope I'm not sounding cheap.

Not to put a damper on your parade, but that OBC is really low for that sailing. On an inside cabin something is the $200/cabin range is a better deal. The bottle of wine is very inexpensive for the agent, about $20.

I was only offered $50 OBC for a inside cabin sailing .. and I took it. 7 day cruise.

There was one TA I found who offered $100, with a $100 cancellation penalty!!

I talked to one ta and they said they would give me a "gift" if I transfer it to them but didn't say what. I'm giving them com. on a 5 thousand dollar cruise, I don't think its asking to much to get a few drinks paid for onboard. I hope I'm not sounding cheap.

I would find out what the gift was before I transferred it.

Keep in mind the full price you pay includes non comm fare and taxes...so depending on ports etc...there may be a lot less comm than expected. The other factor is does the agent work for an agency and only get a small cut of the overall sale or are they agency owners willing to do more for you.

Not knowing cruise specifics, I could see a few hundred on the outside given to you, since anything you need done the agent has to get done for you after the transfer.

So how do you find TAs that are trying to get you to transfer your reservation to them to get OBC? When I called RCCL this time, they gave me a big spill about why it was so much better to book directly through them, but now I am having a few problems getting service after booking. I am being transferred 2-3 times when I call and having long waits on hold. How do I find a TA that wants my reservation and will give me goodies? :)

So how do you find TAs that are trying to get you to transfer your reservation to them to get OBC? When I called RCCL this time, they gave me a big spill about why it was so much better to book directly through them, but now I am having a few problems getting service after booking. I am being transferred 2-3 times when I call and having long waits on hold. How do I find a TA that wants my reservation and will give me goodies? :)

Just be aware that most online TAs are not known for their customer service. ;) If all you want is obc, then they are fine.

If you want service, you should go to a brick and motor agency, where you can deal face to face with someone, and with an agent that will check their emails on weekends. You don't want an agency that is only open 9-5, M-F. No one should work 24/7, but someone should be available in emergencies on the weekends.

Do you have any friends that can recommend someone to you locally? Even if they aren't local, there are lots of good agents out there, that aren't with a huge online company. Good luck!

I think if you check on this thread and post #5 you will see that October 18 is indeed the correct date. RCCL booking and transfering changes

Of course if you don't believe that post then you can go to post #22 here Time limit to transfer cruise to TA

The date on the form is incorrect. Another fine job done by the proof reading department.:D

In a large organization, there are controls on documentation and the dates on the footnotes refer to the date the form was created or revised. It has nothing to do with any effective dates of policies. If the form was going to address that issue, it would be part of the text in the body.

That is standard in any well-run operation. Of course, that last statement doesn't necessarily apply to RCL Corporate. :eek:

I wouldn't disagree with that approach. In fact, I went ahead and transferred two cruises I had booked some time ago as a precaution even though my agent said we were covered. My philosophy is: "If it ain't in writing, it ain't so. If it is in writing, it MAY be so".

But I would disagree with you that a footnote on the form establishes the date for the policy. Of course, I don't know where any date has been set forth in writing that could be considered authoritative. But if I had received the e-mail quoted in the post on the thread Pattie referred to, I would be pretty comfortable that the 18th is the policy effective date.

Still, 12 days isn't worth quibbling about. In my opinion, the benefits of keeping the reservation in my hands do not outweigh the loss of OBC or other perks of having a TA. And my TA does not charge a change fee so if prices drop before final payment, I'll still get them.

According to the three phone calls I just made, the date on the form is correct and if people are being told October 18th, they are being given misinformation.

Just had a very nice conversation with a C&A D+ rep.

The pdf that you provided has no date on it except in the bottom right hand corner where it reads.....10019574 • 10/06/2010. The date of 10/06/2010 is the date that the form was created not the date that the policy went into effect.:) 10019574 is the form number.

However, all reps received new information and a much better explanation today regarding the new transferring policy. It did go into effect on October 18 for any and all bookings no matter when they were made. There is no grandfathering in of bookings made prior to October 18.

A person is given 60 days from the creation of the booking no matter if it is a Specific Cruise or a Why Not Decide Later booking to transfer it to a TA.

So I guess we were both right.:D

Just a word of advice.

I tried to transfer my booking last week, 5 days prior to final payment. RCCL never processed the form so I was not able to transfer in time for final payment. My TA lost the sale and I lost a TA OBC. I contacted C&A after day 3 and they directed me to fax it to a different number, which I did, and still no transfer.

I’m not sure if the new 60 days issue is causing a back up – but I was disappointed. I could not cancel the booking and re-book as the price had gone up since the initial booking.

Good luck

M

Thank you. So I guess you have to leave the ship name and sail date blank. Are there any instructions on what to put there to ensure RCL or Celebrity know it is a future cruise certificate?

Bob, I think your booking number will reflect that it is a NC booking, and, of course, you have to have your TA remind them............they seem to have short memories.

Bob, I think your booking number will reflect that it is a NC booking, and, of course, you have to have your TA remind them............they seem to have short memories.

Thanks.

I think the correct terminology is "convenient memories".

Just had a very nice conversation with a C&A D+ rep.

The pdf that you provided has no date on it except in the bottom right hand corner where it reads.....10019574 • 10/06/2010. The date of 10/06/2010 is the date that the form was created not the date that the policy went into effect.:) 10019574 is the form number.

However, all reps received new information and a much better explanation today regarding the new transferring policy. It did go into effect on October 18 for any and all bookings no matter when they were made. There is no grandfathering in of bookings made prior to October 18.

A person is given 60 days from the creation of the booking no matter if it is a Specific Cruise or a Why Not Decide Later booking to transfer it to a TA.

So I guess we were both right.:D

Patti, after reading your post, I also checked as it effects me personally.

A new memo, issued around noon Cental Time stated the TA rules apply to all reservations, regardless of when they were made. Once again, RCCL has applied a rule retroactively (similar to the changes in the diamond program), effectively removing an option for people who booked months before.:eek: I hope those people will receive the information, but I rather doubt it.:(

Archived