New beverage cards just posted

Linda&Vern

HAL must be frantically changing the Indulgences section.

I looked a little while ago and the $50 beverage card was not shown - now it is back.

There is no verbiage for any of the cards so they have removed the 15% gratuity included.

I wonder what it will look like tomorrow.

Sounds to me like these cards are nothing more than debit cards, with a 10% discount for committing to spending $50 or $100. Like all gift cards, the seller usually ends up way ahead because people lose them, forget to redeem them, or don't use up the whole thing. With the wine card, I'd have a glass of wine with dinner each night, sometimes even a second glass. Now I think I'll be spending less on alcohol because I won't be committing to 10 or 20 glasses over the span of a cruise.

They are indeed like an pre-loaded ATM or gift card (which our TA generously gifted to us on the Oosterdam). You basically use it until you run out. Also, no good for drink of the day. BUT you can use it for Happy Hour :)

Oh no, I was just looking at the wine cards today and thought to come back tomorrow and buy a couple. I guess you snooze, you loose, so sad.

Will we be able to carry these cards from one cruise to another?

What does it mean about the delivery of the soda card choices given - dining-stateroom at sea-stateroom in port? and there are only photos of a non descript tile pattern given for Canadians.

Choose delivery at sea to not have to pay a state's tax (applicable in Florida).

They had the soda card on the Maasdam 2 weeks ago. One of my friends bought 2 cards. I think they charge about $2.25 for a can of soda. He and his sister drank diet coke until I thought they'd be sick. After 7 days one card had about $14 and the other about $10. Hopefully the cards will be good on the next cruise. You do get whole cans of soda when you use the card.

I just spoke to a manager at HAL. All of the wine cards are gone. They will not even be on the ships. Even if it is changed on your booking, it wil be changed back to the new card once onboard. I AM SO FRUSTRATED WITH HAL!!!!!!!!

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I find it hard to believe that HAL would be so stupid as to assume that changing a $77.63 wine card to a $50 beverage card without consulting the client would be a good business move. I was told this morning that it was a technical glitch and my booking is back to what it was originally.

I understand that unfortunately the wine cards are no longer being offered. But that doesn't excuse HAL from honoring what they have already sold. I suspect that I will be back on the telephone tomorrow or shortly thereafter.

No. Because the new Beverage Cards are essentially pre-paid debit cards, if you order a $6.00 glass of wine your card will be debited $6.00 + .90 (15% 'gratuity') for a total of $6.90

HAL's lawyers will soon have them delete the statement the "15% service charge is included" for the beverage cards on the website.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I find it hard to believe that HAL would be so stupid as to assume that changing a $77.63 wine card to a $50 beverage card without consulting the client would be a good business move. I was told this morning that it was a technical glitch and my booking is back to what it was originally.

I understand that unfortunately the wine cards are no longer being offered. But that doesn't excuse HAL from honoring what they have already sold. I suspect that I will be back on the telephone tomorrow or shortly thereafter.

Not only did they do that to Bill B, but I had three 20 pour wine cards & paid $232.89 for them, which they changed to one $50.00 beverage card...They never informed me...Just when I was ready to call them again I pulled up our itinerary & the one wine card was back..

But based on what Cruiseguy was told, really wonder if we will get them on board..Perhaps Ships Services, to avoid our phone calls, are just re-instating the wine cards & decided to have each ships Stewards deal with their unhappy customers..

Cheers.....:)Betty

On August 12, 2010, I purchased 2 cards for my upcoming November 22nd Rotterdam 30 day cruise to Hawaii/Tahiti. One card allows me 10 glasses of wine for a cost of $41.40 and the second card is for 10 Signature Cocktails for $64.69. The total for all 20 drinks is $106.09. From what I have read, I was assuming that when the drink was purchased, the gratuity was automatically added on. Now I am seeing that they are only offering beverage cards?????

I guess I will be one of those people who calls them tomorrow to get this straight.....I can't believe they would not honor an already purchased item for exactly what it says on the receipt.

.....I can't believe they would not honor an already purchased item for exactly what it says on the receipt.

I feel the same - we purchased 2 X 20 glass wine cards ($155.26 total) only last week for a cruise on Volendam in November.

So I can see that they may be replaced with 3 x $50 beverage cards - but I like my wine cards the way I bought them:(:p

I feel there will be some busy people answering many phone calls over this one if they do change them after purchase!!

You'd think it wouldn't be worth it for them to 'not' honour already purchased products - but we will see, time will reveal all:)

I know my fellow CC'ers are going to slam me for this. . . but I have a different opinion on the wine card changes.

What would happen if you pre-booked a shore excursion with HAL that was supposed to include sailing, snorkeling and lunch at the beach for $100. HAL decided to drop the snorkel portion and changed the excursion to a $75 sail and lunch.

Would you still expect HAL to find a way to offer you snorkeling? OR if you wanted to snorkel would you cancel the excursion and look for something else?

I think it's the same thing with the beverage cards. HAL has made a business decision to do away with wine cards. I'm sure you can get refunded on the wine card you didn't get. You do NOT have to accept the new beverage card.

Just my honest opinion. Besides -- it now gives you an excuse to smuggle that extra bottle of wine on board :D

I know my fellow CC'ers are going to slam me for this. . . but I have a different opinion on the wine card changes.

What would happen if you pre-booked a shore excursion with HAL that was supposed to include sailing, snorkeling and lunch at the beach for $100. HAL decided to drop the snorkel portion and changed the excursion to a $75 sail and lunch.

Would you still expect HAL to find a way to offer you snorkeling? OR if you wanted to snorkel would you cancel the excursion and look for something else?

I think it's the same thing with the beverage cards. HAL has made a business decision to do away with wine cards. I'm sure you can get refunded on the wine card you didn't get. You do NOT have to accept the new beverage card.

Just my honest opinion. Besides -- it now gives you an excuse to smuggle that extra bottle of wine on board :D

first of all, if they changed an excursion that dramatically, you would be given the option to opt out without penalty. Secondly, there is no need to smuggle wine on board. HAL allows you to bring all the wine on board you want. :D

It was my understanding from previous threads that the wine cards and cocktail cards were being done away, but, that if you had ordered them they would be honoured. that's why I ordered mine ages ago.

If I don't have wine and cocktail cards then I will cancel my order before I board. They were ordered for a reason. A $50 beverage card does NOT give you the same value, especially when it comes to the glasses of wine.

Sorry, I do disagree. No flaming, just my thoughts - off to my account to make sure it still says wine card and cocktail cards.:rolleyes:

I just checked my account for my March cruise and the 10 pour wine card I purchased last month is still listed under my itinerary along with my pre-paid excursions. It is not listed as available for puchase in the "Indulgences" section- just the beverage cards..

Archived