100% Agave and beach

cruisinaz

I have read great things about 100% Agave and want to eat there for lunch. We aren't planning on much more in CM...but I read it is about a block from the beach. Which beach? Is it a free beach? good beach?

Figured we would need to take a cab there, so just want to make sure I have them take us to the right beach for a short visit before lunch.

Anything else to do near the restaurant? shopping?

Thanks

Tere's only one long beach in Mahahual...Tell the taxi driver to take you to the first taxi stand on the malecon. Then walk back a 1/2 block to the street you came down on, turn left and you'll see the big tequila bottle and thatched roof ( theres a couple of pictures on the best restaurants in Mahahual thread on this board, back a couple of pages or so. When you're through with lunch (and tell Don Fernando Crewsweeper said hello) just retrace your steps to the taxi stand and the malecon, turn right and walk down toward Pez Quadro and get a massage on the beach.

Perfect, thanks!!! A good meal, some beers and a massage on the beach sounds perfect!!

Fernando has some Mexican beers you can't get in the States, Leon (darker Vienna style beer with a bit more taste than Modelo Negra)and Montejo (a lighter pilsner similar to Amstel Light in taste). He also makes a mean Micheladas, which is a beer cocktail with lime juice and chili powder, great with spicy food.

Tere's only one long beach in Mahahual...Tell the taxi driver to take you to the first taxi stand on the malecon. Then walk back a 1/2 block to the street you came down on, turn left and you'll see the big tequila bottle and thatched roof ( theres a couple of pictures on the best restaurants in Mahahual thread on this board, back a couple of pages or so. When you're through with lunch (and tell Don Fernando Crewsweeper said hello) just retrace your steps to the taxi stand and the malecon, turn right and walk down toward Pez Quadro and get a massage on the beach.

We went to 100% Agave last week based on previous crewseeper posts. Thanks crewsweeper...it was fantastic. Great ceviche, guac, steak, sauces, etc. Along with the margaritas we order, Fernando sent over a small pitcher of some other tequila coctail, as well as after dinner shots. The "dining room" was just what you think of when you think rustic mexican fishing village. We were the only non-locals in the place, and Fernando was a very gracious host.

This was much better than our previous Majahual favorite, the Cat's Meow, which never reopened after dean.

I'll try to post up some pics.

Thanks again, crewsweeper.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion to go to 100% Agave! We had a great meal there, Fernando brought over a welcoming small pitcher of a tequila and grapefruit drink and some free nacho chips with 3 different sauces. Husband and I each had grilled grouper steamed with tropical fruits, he had a margarita, I had ice tea and the bill was only 20.00! Fernando was a great host, he explained about the different kinds of tequila. We then walked a block to the beach. I'm so glad we left the port and went to town. What a great day!

Pat

The couple of posts I've read the restaurant seems to be fairly slow... but not sure if the people posting are going during off peak times. I am thinking about doing an early or late lunch - I'll do what I can to get some of the great service everyone is describing and I think my odds are better by going early or later.

No reservations at 100% Agave, VERY casual and laid back. We were the only ship in port though. We got there about 1:00, only three tables occupied and two people at the bar, but the place is very small. Very beachy atmosphere while not on the beach.Wonderful food and inexpensive as I posted before. Truly worth it to go out of the port area!

Fernando has some Mexican beers you can't get in the States, Leon (darker Vienna style beer with a bit more taste than Modelo Negra)and Montejo (a lighter pilsner similar to Amstel Light in taste). He also makes a mean Micheladas, which is a beer cocktail with lime juice and chili powder, great with spicy food.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Micheladas...yeah, i like them a lot. I prefer it with a lager, but I may try the Leon next time.

Many thanks to crewsweeper for posting about 100% Agave.

Fernando was a very gracious host, and food was great. Also brought back in my pocket a 20 oz water bottle of his aged Agave for sipping. The best $20 spent all cruise.

This is a must visit. I took some pictures, but not sure how to post them.

• 2 weeks later...

Will the cab drivers know where this place is? I know it is just a short drive into the area. Hubby and I are very excited about this placed based on all the reviews. Sounds like the perfect place to eat and drink all day? I"m assuming that cash is accepted? Do they take credit cards?

Will the cab drivers know where this place is? I know it is just a short drive into the area. Hubby and I are very excited about this placed based on all the reviews. Sounds like the perfect place to eat and drink all day? I"m assuming that cash is accepted? Do they take credit cards?

The drivers will know it. Mahajual is literally 2 streets. The definateveryly will take USD, as will everyone. Don't know about CC, but I would guess not.

I love the place, but I personally wouldn't plan to spend all day there. Id split time at one of the beach clubs. Pez quatro is good and they are all less than 5 minute walk. You could bprobably even pop back and forth.

We just returned from Costa Maya - and ate at 100% Agave at Crewsweeper's recommendation. And I will review in more detail later but I wanted to let Crewsweeper know that we told Don Fernando hello for him - he was shocked we were on a cruise and had no idea - and also says hello. I guess cruisers don't venture out much, not that you have to do much venturing to get to his restaurant.

We all LOVED it. Not a single complaint, and will go there again and again when in Costa Maya. So thanks Crews, you could not have recommended a better place!

When in Costa Maya, you would be sadly missing out if you don't go to 100% Agave. Absolutely a-maz-ing.

How much did it cost to get here? Are cabs easy to find when it is time to go back to the ship? My dh and I will be here early March on the Allure. Sounds like exactly what I want. Can you rent chairs on the beaches? Is it worth our while to bring our snorkel gear? Thanks for your great advice!

I was worried about finding things too, but trust me, once you see the beach there - you'll realize there is really no way to get lost. We simply got off the ship and we paid, I think, $5 per personto take the shuttle down to the main beach area. We then walked up and down the beach until we found a place to sit - they didn't charge for chairs or sitting under the umbrellas - but they asked us to buy drinks. My husband and our friend got a bucket of beer for $10, and my friend and I got margaritas (though they were more $$$). Then, my friend and I had 1 hour massages above the restaurant (the restaurant we were buying our drinks from) for a whopping $30 (including tip).

We then walked back behind the restaurant (the street behind the beach) - about 15 feet - and there was 100% Agave. You will probably pass it when the shuttle drops you off. I think on the way back to the ship, we took a taxi bc we didn't know what time the shuttle would be back and that probably cost around $3 a person? Either way, it was a very cheap day for all that we did - and the food and service at 100% Agave is worth every penny - even if you only pay a few. : )

It was actually $3 per person to take the shuttle to the beach and $2 per person for the cab back. And the cabs were everywhere when we wanted to leave, no issue at all. It's understandable that carwvu80 is a little hazy on her $$$ amounts considering all the margaritas she drank. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from Costa Maya and had a great time at Fernando's 100% Agave. To get there just tell the taxi driver to bring you to the first taxi stand in Mahahual. It is half a block past Fernando's so you just go back 1/2 a block on the street you came in on and it is on your right (toward the beach).

Another couple came with us and we got the same things and split the bill. We started out with a complimentary small pitcher of a tequila drink which was very good. Then each couple had 4 Margaritas, 3 plates of chips and salsa and guacamole, a delicious fish dinner and free after-dinner drinks.

Then Fernando sold us a very nice 750 ml bottle of rum for $8 and he poured in into 2 water bottles for us so we could take it on the ship.

Fernando was extremely pleasant and his eyes lit up when we told him his restaurant was highly recommended on Cruise Critic. The restaurant is not right on the beach in the high rent area so his prices are lower than most but the authentic Mexican atmosphere makes the place very relaxing and enjoyable.

When he brought the bill we asked him to double check it to make sure it was right because our bill was only $25 per couple and that included the bottle of rum. The 8 drinks each couple had were worth well over that alone.

After that we went to the beach and then walked along the beach past all the sidewalk shops. This was our favorite area during our cruise.

Thanks Tallyho8! We are going next week and can't wait to try it. I was figuring about $50 for both my husband and to eat and drink. sounds like you REALLY get a lot for your money there! Costa Maya will be our first stop on the NCL Spirit. Seven more days til we sail away!

This place sounds wonderful! But just to double check? Is it ok to drink drinks with ice cubes or should we stick with beer? I always fear getting sick in Mexico, esp on our first port! I am a Margharita lover but always cautious.

Thanks!

Most, if not all, restaurants and bars in Mexico that cater to tourists use distilled water to make their ice cubes or buy ice made with distilled water from local ice houses. if you want to stick with beer, have Fernado make you a michelada with Montejo cerveza.

Ate at 100% Agave a week ago today.................FANTASTIC..............I would love to be there again right now.............food,drinks,Fernando==all above and beyond expectation.............

We were thinking of taking a tour from Native Choice to the ruins. If we do that, do you think we will have time to come back to 100% Agave and the beach and shops? After reading the reviews in several threads about this place, I really want to go.

Does anybody have any thoughts on that?

We were thinking of taking a tour from Native Choice to the ruins. If we do that, do you think we will have time to come back to 100% Agave and the beach and shops? After reading the reviews in several threads about this place, I really want to go.

Does anybody have any thoughts on that?

It's going to mostly depend on how long your ship is in Costa Maya and what timeyour tour departs and where they drop you off on the return (in the new town of Neuvo Mahahual, old Las Casitas, I believe). Give your selves 10 minutes to get to the old village of Majahual and 15 to return (you'll need to find a cab) and 5-10 to walk back along the long pier. Then at least 1/2 hour at 100% Agave, and that'll be cutting the experience a bit short. And another 1/2 hour to see/walk along the beach/malecon while you're there--one of the reasons for going there.

So, for example, if your ship departs at 4 PM and you need to be back on board by 3:30PM, you'll need to be back from the ruins by 1:30PM, 2 PM at the latest.

While I've been a booster of 100% Agave, from what I understand about the Native Choice tour, it's an experience you want to savor, if you're into the historical/cultural angle. 100% Agave is just a sidebar that doesn't have to be a must do.

Archived